Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

It sounds like a good, classic horror film, and I wish they had marketed it that way. Unfortunately, the way they try to pass it off as a "true story", including interviews with the "family" 20 years later- really rubs me the wrong way. There are already enough gullible people in this country.

I agree, when you say the real family puts the movie off. I found those trailers annoying. However, the first trailer I saw for the movie didn't include the real family. It had that classic horror feel to it, and it peaked my interest. If I had seen the other trailers first, I don't know if I would have been as interested.

jensenrick

I agree, when you say the real family puts the movie off. I found those trailers annoying. However, the first trailer I saw for the movie didn't include the real family. It had that classic horror feel to it, and it peaked my interest. If I had seen the other trailers first, I don't know if I would have been as interested.

Well, hopefully by the time the DVD comes out, I'll have forgotten all about the trailer and give it a view. I do like Lili Taylor, she's a very interesting actress IMO.

Nemo14

There's nothing wrong per se with moving somewhere because of someone or something that's there... and there's nothing wrong with "escaping from reality" for a week or two when the stresses of "real life" get to be too much. But when your "escape from reality" becomes your reality, that is the time to reflect and figure out whether Disney is just an addictive pastime -- or an actual addiction.

^
This!

jensenrick

I don't know how large the house was, but the couple described every room being packed with Disney paraphernalia, including drawers and drawers stuffed so full of pins they couldn't be used for clothing or anything else. They showed me the pins they'd bought that day -- pins that would go straight into storage, and would never be worn. They made it a point to buy (at least) two copies of every single pin, including all the various Passholder and special event pins.

That was the first time I can recall truly feeling sad while at WDW. Ironically, the couple wasn't particularly joyful either, despite ostensibly living their dream. Rather than appreciating a beautiful morning at Epcot, they seemed to be intensely concerned with making sure that they had made all their necessary acquisitions for the day.

That story literally gave me gooseflesh.

Kuhio

There are already enough gullible people in this country.

Yes.

Like the ones who thought that the eliminated contestants on "Whodunnit?" -- a TV show where people try to solve an ongoing murder mystery and win a cash prize -- were actually being killed off for real by ABC, in some kind of snuff film/reality TV hybrid.

Seriously, are people really getting dumber and more gullible every day? Or is it just the fact that, with the proliferation of Twitter and Facebook and their ilk, we're more aware than we were before of just how many dim bulbs are out there? (Whoever said, "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" obviously saw the future of social media...)

NoChesterHester

Yes.

Like the ones who thought that the eliminated contestants on "Whodunnit?" -- a TV show where people try to solve an ongoing murder mystery and win a cash prize -- were actually being killed off for real by ABC, in some kind of snuff film/reality TV hybrid.

Seriously, are people really getting dumber and more gullible every day? Or is it just the fact that, with the proliferation of Twitter and Facebook and their ilk, we're more aware than we were before of just how many dim bulbs are out there? (Whoever said, "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" obviously saw the future of social media...)

As @WDW1974 famously said... "Stupid people and the Internet makes for great entertainment."

Captain Neo

I didn't realize the extent to which people completely uproot themselves for Disney until 5 or 6 years ago.

I was waiting in a long line at Epcot, and struck up a conversation with a young couple in front of me. They were in their early 20s and had moved from England to Orlando earlier in the year. Despite the fact that neither of them had a job -- nor apparently any inclination to find a job anytime soon -- they had bought a house just minutes away from WDW. I had the distinct impression that their house, and lifestyle, were fully funded by their parents... who, they implied, were vehemently opposed to the move -- but obviously also concerned about what would happen to their kids in a foreign country without any financial support.

I don't know how large the house was, but the couple described every room being packed with Disney paraphernalia, including drawers and drawers stuffed so full of pins they couldn't be used for clothing or anything else. They showed me the pins they'd bought that day -- pins that would go straight into storage, and would never be worn. They made it a point to buy (at least) two copies of every single pin, including all the various Passholder and special event pins.

That was the first time I can recall truly feeling sad while at WDW. Ironically, the couple wasn't particularly joyful either, despite ostensibly living their dream. Rather than appreciating a beautiful morning at Epcot, they seemed to be intensely concerned with making sure that they had made all their necessary acquisitions for the day.

There's nothing wrong per se with moving somewhere because of someone or something that's there... and there's nothing wrong with "escaping from reality" for a week or two when the stresses of "real life" get to be too much. But when your "escape from reality" becomes your reality, that is the time to reflect and figure out whether Disney is just an addictive pastime -- or an actual addiction.
That's really sad and pathetic . Of course disney loves feeding off those people

NoChesterHester

I guess we wrongly assumed this was the one thread where current events could be discussed. I questioned the political discussion in the "Sprirted Musings Part 2" and was promptly throttled by @WDW1974 and others. Rightly so, it was a valid conversation.

Every other thread is sanitary... What gives now?

Captain Neo

Yea this is a spirit thread and I felt it was very rude for "The Mom" to once again omit and censor comments as if this was communist china. Nobody idling to die or fall over if someone wants to talk about current events we are all adults here,

The Mom

Premium Member
Political discussions are not allowed. If they went on in other threads, it is because no one reported them. If you do not like this rule, or the way this forum is moderated, there are lots of political forums on the web.

This is a thread for current WDW events - not the real world. ;)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Ok, I know about the one in TX...what was the other one?

Cedar point. Rollback system on shoot the rapids failed. Boat with backwards. Hit the bottom of lift. Flipped. Bystanders flipped it back over. Without them those people woulda drowned.

Disgusting thing is photos are online to support the witnesses story but cedar point is saying they "evacuated" the ride. That's BS! Other guests rescued them. True American heroes did. Evacuate my freaking tail.

Turtle

Yes, IOA is certainly one of the most impressive parks in terms of attention to detail, theming and attraction roster.

IOA is quite the impressive theme park!
I love IOA and Universal Orlando (in fact I got home today from a trip). But I disagree with what I bolded in terms of detail and theming.

In Dragon Challenge, you're literally flying over dead grass inside the Dragon's Mouth? There are also tons of eyesores everywhere. You can see almost every show-building in plain-view. Forbidden Journey's queue is literally in Jurassic Park to the point that there isn't even a fence blocking it from view rather just a rope.

This doesn't make it a bad park, nor does it take away from being a good park but not just immersive in detail like you said.

But I do agree that the attraction roster is spectacular and that Universal is doing big things and stopping the bad habits stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom