Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

All these chain discussions are a bit nauseating. Mom and pop restaurants have so much better food than chain nonsense especially when comparing to the bland seasoning in every place listed here. The care and seasoning put in is bare none.
I grew up with mom & pop restaurants. I also grew up with a corner drug store with a real soda fountain, 2 neighborhood candy stores, paper boys & girls delivering both morning & afternoon editions, a real barber shop that looked like the ones you see in movies, a neighborhood grocery store where little old ladies shopped with their metal carts, where everybody walked to school, where the local amusement park was owned and operated by someone living in the neighborhood. A time when most adults worked at one of the local factories (walking to work), when the CEO made about 5 times the average factory worker and lived in a 4,000 sq. ft. house nearby which was considered a mansion. Where spring was spent at the local tree-lined parks, summer was spent at the local swimming pool, and winter was spent sledding on the local hills. A time when stores were closed on Sundays and everyone walked to church.

Those days are gone. The Walmart's, McDonald's, and Walt Disney Company's of the world rule today.

And at times it's more than a bit nauseating.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Those days are gone. The Walmart's, McDonald's, and Walt Disney Company's of the world rule today.

They're still there unless you live in some over populate over industrialized heck hole of an armpit. I am proud to say that the mom pop eateries outnumber chain sit downs in my area and my area is fairly large. Chain junk is just that, junk.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Musings: So it's a Friday over a four-day holiday weekend (one in which many Americans take the entire week off as vacation) and where are the breathless 'Phased closings' and 'FOUR HOUR WAIT FOR SOARIN!!!' threads? ... Yeah, sorta rhetorical. ... Watch out for lionfish. Those spines are dangerous. ... How long until we hit 300? ... How many Disney Lifestylers might be subjects of a future episode of Hoarders? ... The Boston Celtics got one fine young coach. ... You haven't lived until you've seen Wayne Newton live in Vegas. ... OK, so we had pins and then came vinyl, so what's next? Yep, those tricked out MAGIC Bands of course. ... That watermelon really is 22 pounds. ... More obnoxious: Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil? ... Haven't heard much outrage about the Starbucks replacing Fountainview at EPCOT. But there wasn't much outrage when Sunrise Terrace closed and then replaced by Pasta Piazza and then closed for a non-Starbucks coffe shop and character meet-greet-and-grope, which was then replaced by an Edy's and ... Haven't confirmed it, but strong buzz says Starbucks at Studios will be going into the shop that used to be Villians and now is a mess at the corner of Hollywood and Sunset. ... I hear there is going to be a secret ceremony at DAK this September to mark the two-year anniversary of the official announcement of the Avatar project, but no one will be invited and nothing will actually occur. ... Look for DAK to lose one of its EMH mornings as soon as this fall. ... Plans are moving ahead again for the Adventureland Verandah to be used as a food locale, but don't expect anything soon (this is Disney). ... You'll hear more Food and Beverage expansion for EPCOT much sooner ... very soon as a matter of fact. ... No one taking my HKDL challenge?

WDW1974

Original Poster
First, I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, but after a decade of Disney Disappointments (starting with Pocahontas, and really shoved into the ground with Hunchback, yeah, go ahead and flame me, but in NO WAY were those movies or any since it as good and more importantly universally memorable when compared to the revival films...

I won't flame you because you are entitled to your opinions over what films resonante the strongest with you.

But I will fervently disagree with the perception by many in the fan community that Disney's Second Golden Age of Anaimation ended with The Lion King because subsequent features didn't reach the incredible for its time box office that Simba's tale did.

I loved Pocahontas and Hunchback is one of my absolutel favorite Disney films. These were films that didn't talk down to their audience, had some adult subject matter, were beautiful works of art AND had great music as well. Music that is used in theme park productions to this day. ... Colors of the Wind and Out There being just my two favorite examples from films rich in sound as well as sight.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not sure it would fatally would the project, considering how happy they are to let so much space limp along with temp use or empty, but it wouldn't help. DtD's management has shown constantly they don't care if there's empty space, or they have no knowledge of their own mall, considering they never go walk around. Regardless, I don't think they'd let Splitsville pull out until after part of the new space opens - they'll prop it up artificially if they have to, in order to get some buzz going while quietly ignoring Splitsville splitting.

No, I agree. Disney might pay them to stay if they were thinking of closing down. I am not saying they are because I have no info that suggests that. I do have lots of anecdotal evidence that the place isn't doing well, though.

willtravel

I won't flame you because you are entitled to your opinions over what films resonante the strongest with you.

But I will fervently disagree with the perception by many in the fan community that Disney's Second Golden Age of Anaimation ended with The Lion King because subsequent features didn't reach the incredible for its time box office that Simba's tale did.

I loved Pocahontas and Hunchback is one of my absolutel favorite Disney films. These were films that didn't talk down to their audience, had some adult subject matter, were beautiful works of art AND had great music as well. Music that is used in theme park productions to this day. ... Colors of the Wind and Out There being just my two favorite examples from films rich in sound as well as sight.
I will have to agree with you, Colors of the Wind is a great song. :). And then Circle of life.... Those were the days.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seen him twice... Great show... Awesome to see a living legend.

Yes, I've seen him multiple times (most recently at the MGM Grand Turkey Day weekend 2005), but none were as great as that O-Town show. I've never been to such an electric atmosphere for a concert. It's just amazing as the guy is my father's age and to do what he still does ... gotta catch him again!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I thought westerns don't play well in Europe? Or at least that is what Ive been reading.

Not true at all.

Europeans love the idea of the American frontier. That's why DLP's Frontierland was built so massively and detailed versus what was seen in the prior versions.

This film could do huge numbers in many major markets over there ... but it may well be buried here by then.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Yes, I've seen him multiple times (most recently at the MGM Grand Turkey Day weekend 2005), but none were as great as that O-Town show. I've never been to such an electric atmosphere for a concert. It's just amazing as the guy is my father's age and to do what he still does ... gotta catch him again!

Saw him at Fenway and at Citi Field... Both were excellent but the NY show was probably more electric.

Now I need to see Billy Joel live... Whenever he's around next.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My big problem with Monsters U (and I'm kidding here -- I greatly enjoyed the movie) is the fact that the ending of Monsters Inc. kind of changes the entire way you view the story of Mike and Sully in college, studying to be good scarers.

I kept thinking... what is going to happen to the scare-education industry after the events at the end of Monsters Inc.? It would kind of be like what happens to Caltech or MIT if we were suddenly to discover that everything we thought about engineering was wrong.

Entire monster universities would have to completely revamp their curricula, likely laying off dozens of professors and other staff, or risk complete collapse after centuries of educating students. (Does Fear Tech change its name to Laugh Tech?)

Boy, you've really thought that one through, haven't you?

willtravel

I wonder why Phil Collins or Elton John don't write for Disney anymore? Unless I missed something. It's like Robin Williams, why he does not do voices anymore for WDW animated movies. So good in Aladdin.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll have to try '5 guys' sometime. But with even McD's slacking off big time in the fry department and they maintain their popularity, it's easy to see how Cockerell Fries are able to exist (besides the contempt for the guests reasons).

Yes. I can't say I'd think much of anyone's tastes who actually likes WDW fries. They are the worst. No debating. End of story. Godawful.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I simply don't understand the obsession with In 'N Out, 5 Guys, Your-Regional-Fast-Food-Burger-Of-Choice.

In 'N Out is a pretty good fast food burger. So is 5 Guys. But it's still a fast food burger that doesn't taste a whole heck of a lot different than, say, a Wendy's burger.

Give me a burger at pretty much any non-chain bar and grill restaurant and it will be 10 times better than the chuck and shuck at the above establishments.

I don't disagree, largely. Although I think both Five Guys and In 'N Out are 2-3 steps removed from Wendy's.

And your comparison isn't really a fair one. Fast food is just that, even at the better locations. It's never going to be the same as a quality local type place. But it's not supposed to be ... and it doesn't make it crap either.

HMF

Yes. I can't say I'd think much of anyone's tastes who actually likes WDW fries. They are the worst. No debating. End of story. Godawful.
Lee Cockerell supposedly actually brags about his role in streamlining all WDW Fries in one of his "successful business management" how-to books.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Exactly 11 times.

Let me guess: you grew up in or live in California?

I'm convinced they add something to the water out there that makes you guys worship that place. And sure, it's pretty good. For a fast food hamburger.

True ... and the MK is pretty good ... for a theme park ... but it's also greatly overrated by many of its addicts.

See, this discussion is totally about the Mouse!

WDW1974

Original Poster

Garcia is a weak reporter. He spends waaay too much time trolling Lifestylers on Twitter than actually doing a beat writer's job. He seems like the type of person that goes thru the press office everytime he steps on WDW property instead of buying a damn AP, expensing the paper and going out and looking at what is going on, the good, the bad and the ugly.

HMF

I wonder why Phil Collins or Elton John don't write for Disney anymore? Unless I missed something. It's like Robin Williams, why he does not do voices anymore for WDW animated movies. So good in Aladdin.
Elton tends to tour quite extensively plus he has his "Million Dollar Piano" show in Las Vegas plus he has a new album coming out plus being a father of two children He pretty much has his hands full and Phil Collins is no longer able to work because he has arthritis from Drumming for so many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom