Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy

I'll play: Whataburger > In and Out > Five Guys

I know, they failed in Orlando. Poor brand awareness. Still going strong in JAX and Pensacola.

Whataburger had some seriously good burgers when I was growing up. I remember Mel Tillis used to do their commercials. I hadn't had one in years, but we did stop and eat at one a few years ago while on a road trip. It wasn't nearly as good as I remember, but still pretty tasty. Five Guys is okay, and I have never had the pleasure of trying an In-and-Out Burger.

The best burger and fries I have had in recent years was on a Carnival Cruise earlier this year. Guy Fieri has a burger place on some of the ships, and I have to say that was a darn tasty burger. (BTW, my Carnival cruise was about a 1/3 of the price of a Disney cruise. As I planned that trip, I did a lot of research on cruise lines and it is interesting to see the parallels between many cruise lines (like Carnival and Royal Caribbean) and what is currently happening at WDW. There are many complaints about how cruise lines are watering down their product so they can keep prices low and maximize profit and how that has drawn a very different clientele that what would have been on a cruise ship 20 to 25 years ago - basically the Walmart-ing of the cruise industry. Ironically, one of the few mass market lines that escapes this criticism is DCL which rarely had "deals" but usually has no problems booking their ships. Just interesting...)

stevehousse

Just curious, in regards to DM2, who is the new voice actor for the villian? I know they originally had Robert DeNiro as the voice, but about 2 or 3 months before the films release he left the project and had to rerecord all his lines with a different actor, something about creative differences???

stevehousse

Had whataburger for te first time on my trip to Houston a few months ago! The patty melt and that spicy ketchup were amazing!!!

Calvin Coolidge

As long as we're talking burgers...

Five Guys > Whataburger > Wendy's > McDonald's > taking a risk on a new place > In N Out > pretty much everything else > Burger King

As far as fries go:
McDonald's >>>> Wendy's > Whataburger > Five Guys

On the topic of composers and lyricists in animated films:

Randy Newman is just not cut out to compose a full musical. Princess and the Frog did not have an appealing soundtrack. It was like he was trying to ape the classic musicals on the early 90s, but he was mostly going through the motions (I mean, jeez, he called the "I Want" song "Almost There." That song did not deserve the beautiful animation that accompanied it). The one song that was successful was Evangeline, and that was, what, a minute long? I harp a lot on Frog's story problems (and they were great and many), but the musical problems are big, too.

The Lopez family: I mean, Finding Nemo the Musical is pretty great but we'll have to see how well they do with animation. It's worrisome to me that, as of about a month ago, the songs still weren't done.

crispy

Just curious, in regards to DM2, who is the new voice actor for the villian? I know they originally had Robert DeNiro as the voice, but about 2 or 3 months before the films release he left the project and had to rerecord all his lines with a different actor, something about creative differences???

Benjamin Bratt was the voice of El Macho.

cheezbat

and Tallahassee! Whataburger and Five Guys are the only fast food burgers I will eat. I have not yet had the privilege of In and Out. Is there one in Florida?
Nope. In and Out is a Cali chain.

I'm still very upset we lost all the Whataburgers in central Florida...(curse you people who don't know what good food is!)

Still, Culvers is by far the best fast food burger chain. Delicious burgers, good fries, cheese curds, and ice cream/custard far beyond the junk that Steak N Shake or McDonalds tries to sell. Not to mention the overall environment of the establishment is much nicer and cleaner.

RSoxNo1

Also, having the Minions sing I Swear may be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. All of the adults in the theater were laughing out loud.

I'll preface by saying that I haven't see the movie before I ask this question:

Is the concept of using an old/irrelevant pop song/reference in a movie or show always going to be funny? It seems to be done more and more lately and it's a type of irreverant humor that I typically enjoy. I could list several examples where this was done and each time I found it funny:
  • Shrek: The Shrek in the swamp dance party
  • 40 Year Old Virgin: Age of Aquarius
  • The Hangover: I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight and The song from the opening of Rainman
  • The Muppets: [Forget] You, Smells like Teen Spirit
  • This is the End: (I don't want to say the song for fear of spoiling it)
Is there risk of this gimmick being played out?

crispy

I'll preface by saying that I haven't see the movie before I ask this question:

Is the concept of using an old/irrelevant pop song/reference in a movie or show always going to be funny? It seems to be done more and more lately and it's a type of irreverant humor that I typically enjoy. I could list several examples where this was done and each time I found it funny:
  • Shrek: The Shrek in the swamp dance party
  • 40 Year Old Virgin: Age of Aquarius
  • The Hangover: I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight and The song from the opening of Rainman
  • The Muppets: [Forget] You, Smells like Teen Spirit
  • This is the End: (I don't want to say the song for fear of spoiling it)
Is there risk of this gimmick being played out?

Well, in this case, it was so funny because the Minions actually sing gibberish yet you understand every word of what they are singing (due to the song being so overplayed in the past). I think that's why the adults were laughing much harder than the kids. The Minions version of YMCA was also stellar and similarly incomprehensible.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can't help but wonder if there's a bit more at play behind this film's dismal reviews ... after all, Dick Cook greenlit the film and it became a bloated mess under Rich Ross.

Or maybe critics are just looking to be cool. Kinda like when one Disney Lifestyle blogger touts how MAGICal simple ordinary cinnamon buns are, and they all start doing it.

I'm not gonna say Lone Ranger is a good film because I haven't seen it. Thinking about it for Sunday.

But I did see Identity Thief the other day and it had like a 20% fresh review from critics and it wasn't bad by any means. If they all wanted to be hip by ripping a bloated, dark and depressing retelling of an All-American character, perhaps they should have paid more attention to the trainwreck known as Man of Steel.

And Monsters U is a helluva lot better film than many reviews have given it credit, but, again, it's hip to rip on the Emeryville crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom