Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

Enchanted is another big hit in our house. My girls probably watch it at least once a week, and it's one of my all time favorites. I think they fact they couldn't really have Giselle in the parks was a big issue. I don't remember what the issue was exactly, but something along the lines of having to pay Amy Adams large sums of money to use her likeness since it was a live action movie. Anyone remember the exact story on that? Anyway, I think that's why Disney never really never promoted it and why it's forgotten.
There was no issue. It was a really foofy, expensive dress not suitable for meet n greets. That, with entertainments SOP of forgetting about most old characters doomed her. A dude on michechat debunked the whole thing.

crispy

There was no issue. It was a really foofy, expensive dress not suitable for meet n greets. That, with entertainments SOP of forgetting about most old characters doomed her. A dude on michechat debunked the whole thing.

That's interesting. I never knew how that played out. Thanks for the update! It's a shame really because Enchanted was such a good movie.

crispy

Well, I spent the morning taking my daughters to see Despicable Me 2. I loved it, and I didn't find it Minion heavy at all. Of course, they were prominent, but they were still supporting characters. Like the first one, it had a lot of heart, but it still had an edge to it. I liked it better than Monsters University, one of my daughters said she liked Monsters University better, and the little one said she loved them both. They were both good movies.

Also, having the Minions sing I Swear may be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. All of the adults in the theater were laughing out loud.

yeti

I just wanted to point out that Tim Rice only finished the lyrics for Aladdin. If you're going to reference a composing team here, it should be Menken and Ashman.

Not to mention Tim Rice wrote the lyrics to The Lion King. He Ashman and David Zippel were the best in the modern age IMO.

Great lyrics really are the missing link between a film like Tangled or PatF and BatB or TLM. Glenn Slater was fine in Tangled (but the bonus songs in Mermaid on Broadway....weren't) if not very predictable at parts. Randy Newman is a terrific composer, boring lyricist. I wasn't happy to hear Robert Lopez is writing the songs for Frozen.

GiveMeTheMusic

Randy Newman is a terrific composer, boring lyricist. I wasn't happy to hear Robert Lopez is writing the songs for Frozen.

Newman's lyrics make me want to stab myself in the eye. "It's the time...of your life...so live it well." Thanks for that Randy.

Lopez and his wife did an amazing job writing music for Finding Nemo - Big Blue World, Go with the Flow and the theme music are all spectacular. There's also a passage in Just Keep Swimming that is fantastic - when Marlin and Dory start racing. Also, the Swim Together reprise with the "That's my dad/that's my son" theme blended in - love it. Mormon and Avenue Q are also pretty great scores.

Now, that said - I've heard Idina Menzel's big ballad from Frozen, "Let It Go" - and it's GREAT. Can't wait to see that movie and hear the rest of the score.

WDWFanDave

Well, I spent the morning taking my daughters to see Despicable Me 2. I loved it, and I didn't find it Minion heavy at all. Of course, they were prominent, but they were still supporting characters. Like the first one, it had a lot of heart, but it still had an edge to it. I liked it better than Monsters University, one of my daughters said she liked Monsters University better, and the little one said she loved them both. They were both good movies.

Also, having the Minions sing I Swear may be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. All of the adults in the theater were laughing out loud.

I agree. Thought MU was good, and my daughter really enjoyed it, but we absolutely loved DM2.

I think it also helped that going in she was already amused that Gru's sidekicks are named Dave and Stuart. Yep. :)

For me, the throwbacks that were scattered throughout, like Isaac the bartender from 'The Love Boat', or The Village People, were very well done and placed.

crispy

I agree. Thought MU was good, and my daughter really enjoyed it, but we absolutely loved DM2.

I think it also helped that going in she was already amused that Gru's sidekicks are named Dave and Stuart. Yep. :)

For me, the throwbacks that were scattered throughout, like Isaac the bartender from 'The Love Boat', or The Village People, were very well done and placed.

I howled at Isaac the Bartender. Now I'm showing my age!

Texas84

I'll play: Whataburger > In and Out > Five Guys

I know, they failed in Orlando. Poor brand awareness. Still going strong in JAX and Pensacola.

RSoxNo1

@Jason_Garcia did an article yesterday on theme park cutbacks.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ting-hours-20130704,0,7182697.story?dssReturn

If anyone recalls Jim "The Brain" Heaney, he was fired from Disney for Accounting Fraud. The poster child for "what a FL based executive has to do to get fired"

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...815_1_aulani-disney-vacation-club-time-shares

I know he was trolling around twitter for cost cutting examples-no one pointed him to this thread as far I know.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-giveth-and-disney-taketh-away.841422/
Looks like you need an orlando sentinel online membership to read the article.

tracyandalex

I'll play: Whataburger > In and Out > Five Guys

I know, they failed in Orlando. Poor brand awareness. Still going strong in JAX and Pensacola.

and Tallahassee! Whataburger and Five Guys are the only fast food burgers I will eat. I have not yet had the privilege of In and Out. Is there one in Florida?

tracyandalex

We all loved Tangled. My daughter likes Tangled way more than Brave, but only like Rapunzel a little more than Merida FWIW.

I like both CGI and hand drawn animation, but there is something about most CGI that just looks off to me. I want to say fake, but I'm not sure that's the right word because all cartoons are fake.

We are hoping to get to DM2 this weekend. My Facebook friends seem to really like it.

Anyone see Disney doing a Mary Poppins type movie again? I guess Enchanted was close.

rael ramone

I tried the first link.... I'm not a 'online subscriber' :( But on the subject of 'cutting service', a worst case scenario as far as FP+:

From what has been said right now suggests that the method of operation of the Disney run table service is to deny walk ins. Tables open? Staff standing around doing nothing? Doesn't matter. (I can still get walk in for Kona Cafe at lunch, but trying the 'were all booked up' there would be a bit rich).

Didn't someone post that the thought exists that they want to elmininate standby for some 'experiences'?

What if they decided to have the FP+ reservations determine the operating hours of the attractions :eek:.

If that happened, do you know who would be happy (besides Uni, SW, BGT)?

Gatorland, Orlando Science Center, Ripleys (is that still open?), and any 'carnie type neighborhood carnivals' that are there....[/quote]

Animaniac93-98

That got the biggest laugh from adults in my theatre too. DM/DM2 is good at making "adult" jokes without resorting to crude/racy humour. Not that those can't be funny, but I find some writers unofortunately forget that.

Newman's lyrics make me want to stab myself in the eye. "It's the time...of your life...so live it well." Thanks for that Randy.

lol, and who could forget "JAMES...JAMES...JAMES...how are you? Isn't it a lovely daaaayyyyy"?

Sometimes his stuff is fine and suits the mood (even tunes like the one above), but when his misses the mark? Oh God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom