Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
All these chain discussions are a bit nauseating. Mom and pop restaurants have so much better food than chain nonsense especially when comparing to the bland seasoning in every place listed here. The care and seasoning put in is bare none.

True in many cases, but not all.

Many of the top chains, from quick serve burgers to high end steakhouses, have gotten to the top by offering a quality product.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
True in many cases, but not all.

Many of the top chains, from quick serve burgers to high end steakhouses, have gotten to the top by offering a quality product.

When you look at places like Red Robin who have gotten to the top by marketing, hype, and convenience that changes a bit. Their burgers are surely under the Five Guys level. I blame it more on consumers who do not understand what quality food offerings nowadays.

yoyoflamingo

I won't flame you because you are entitled to your opinions over what films resonante the strongest with you.

But I will fervently disagree with the perception by many in the fan community that Disney's Second Golden Age of Anaimation ended with The Lion King because subsequent features didn't reach the incredible for its time box office that Simba's tale did.

I loved Pocahontas and Hunchback is one of my absolutel favorite Disney films. These were films that didn't talk down to their audience, had some adult subject matter, were beautiful works of art AND had great music as well. Music that is used in theme park productions to this day. ... Colors of the Wind and Out There being just my two favorite examples from films rich in sound as well as sight.

Hunchback just might be my favorite Disney animated film (at least "modern age"). And that soundtrack is my favorite. Such great music, IMO.

I think part of the problem is there is going to be a tipping point of how much money an animated film did. Disney was used to making more and more since the Little Mermaid, so after the Lion King, which amassed a huge amount of money, since Pocahontas didn't make more, it was seen as the beginning of the end for the end. Disney kept trying different types of stories (Hunchback, Atlantis, etc.) but since they never equaled the BO of Lion King, they weren't regarded with the fervor as the previous ones.

In a way, it seems like Pixar with post Finding Nemo (until Toy Story 3). It seemed once ever film didn't make as much as Finding Nemo, critics were questioning "is Pixar slipping?"

Goofyernmost

I don't disagree, largely. Although I think both Five Guys and In 'N Out are 2-3 steps removed from Wendy's.

And your comparison isn't really a fair one. Fast food is just that, even at the better locations. It's never going to be the same as a quality local type place. But it's not supposed to be ... and it doesn't make it crap either.
Although 5 Guys cannot be considered "sit down" fare...they are not Fast Foods in the truest sense. Everything is cooked after you order it. I don't think any of it is Frozen (could be, but it doesn't seem like it could be) You pointed out that you had to wait, and most people do. Not long sometimes but still not sitting under a heat lamp or in those nasty looking little plastic drawers used by McD's to store burgers in until you order one. Then it's nuke time and you go happily on your way.

Animaniac93-98

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wonder why Phil Collins or Elton John don't write for Disney anymore? Unless I missed something. It's like Robin Williams, why he does not do voices anymore for WDW animated movies. So good in Aladdin.

Simple answer: Disney isn't the easiest media company for talent to work for. Robin Williams had a particularly nasty breakup with the company that only ended a few years ago.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Lee Cockerell supposedly actually brags about his role in streamlining all WDW Fries in one of his "successful business management" how-to books.

Lee is like an Amway salesman or timeshare salesman or used car salesman or any type of sleezy salesman you can think of ... he was very good at breaking what worked at WDW for its first two decades and remaking it in his image and the MBAs and consultants that came with him. That WDW is the one which still exists to today ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fun fact: the Crews Cup Lounge has two different kinds of fries

Interesting. Do tell ...

I'm guessing one kind goes to the Captain's Grille (or whatever the YC Galley is now called) and the other to Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Computer Magic

Simple answer: Disney isn't the easiest media company for talent to work for. Robin Williams had a particularly nasty breakup with the company that only ended a few years ago.
exactly. Robin WIlliams had a fall out, not once but twice. Now the feud is over as Robin became a Disney Legand.

WDW1974

Original Poster
When you look at places like Red Robin who have gotten to the top by marketing, hype, and convenience that changes a bit. Their burgers are surely under the Five Guys level. I blame it more on consumers who do not understand what quality food offerings nowadays.

Don't know enough about RR to comment much. They came to many markets in FL in the 90s and didn't last long. I recall having a bad experience at one, but not what I ate. ... Didn't go back to one for a decade plus ... that one was in Garden Grove, right down Harbor Blvd from DLR. Food was much better, but in that 'good TGI Friday's kind of way' ... I have been back 2-3 times and I'm sure I've had salads or burgers every time.

Oh, and they returned to SoFla last year, but I have no desire to try one.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hunchback just might be my favorite Disney animated film (at least "modern age"). And that soundtrack is my favorite. Such great music, IMO.

I think part of the problem is there is going to be a tipping point of how much money an animated film did. Disney was used to making more and more since the Little Mermaid, so after the Lion King, which amassed a huge amount of money, since Pocahontas didn't make more, it was seen as the beginning of the end for the end. Disney kept trying different types of stories (Hunchback, Atlantis, etc.) but since they never equaled the BO of Lion King, they weren't regarded with the fervor as the previous ones.

In a way, it seems like Pixar with post Finding Nemo (until Toy Story 3). It seemed once ever film didn't make as much as Finding Nemo, critics were questioning "is Pixar slipping?"

Good points all ... the funny thing is there were some very good films that did good BO $$$ like Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan to close out the 90s, but they tend to get lumped in with the cheapquels and troubled films that didn't do well.

I don't believe Disney put out a bad animated film in the 90s, but they were oversupplying the market, late to CGI (let's not talk about Dinosaur) and then started pennypinching and having MBAs working on scripts. It was a recipe cooked to disaster and that it what happened.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Although 5 Guys cannot be considered "sit down" fare...they are not Fast Foods in the truest sense. Everything is cooked after you order it. I don't think any of it is Frozen (could be, but it doesn't seem like it could be) You pointed out that you had to wait, and most people do. Not long sometimes but still not sitting under a heat lamp or in those nasty looking little plastic drawers used by McD's to store burgers in until you order one. Then it's nuke time and you go happily on your way.

True, but they are considered fast food or quick serve in the industry. Next step up is the bakery places like Panera and the casuals like Red Lobster, Chilli's, Red Robin and so many others ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I completely agree with this. I aw Red Robin commercials for years so I had high expectations when I finally got a chance to try one out. I was un-impressed to say the least. It wasn't horrible food but it didn't live up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom