Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

So much talk about 5 Guys that I had to go there for lunch today. Yup! Still good. Burger and Fries.

I simply don't understand the obsession with In 'N Out, 5 Guys, Your-Regional-Fast-Food-Burger-Of-Choice.

In 'N Out is a pretty good fast food burger. So is 5 Guys. But it's still a fast food burger that doesn't taste a whole heck of a lot different than, say, a Wendy's burger.

Give me a burger at pretty much any non-chain bar and grill restaurant and it will be 10 times better than the chuck and shuck at the above establishments.

Goofyernmost

I simply don't understand the obsession with In 'N Out, 5 Guys, Your-Regional-Fast-Food-Burger-Of-Choice.

In 'N Out is a pretty good fast food burger. So is 5 Guys. But it's still a fast food burger that doesn't taste a whole heck of a lot different than, say, a Wendy's burger.

Give me a burger at pretty much any non-chain bar and grill restaurant and it will be 10 times better than the chuck and shuck at the above establishments.
Have you ever had a 5 guys burger? I don't know how you could have and say the it is the same as a Wendy's burger. I have had burgers at many high quality grill restaurants and bars(?) and none have compared to 5 Guys. None! I cannot speak about In & Out because I never have been to one.

ChrisM

Have you ever had a 5 guys burger? I don't know how you could have and say the it is the same as a Wendy's burger. I have had burgers at many high quality grill restaurants and bars(?) and none have compared to 5 Guys. None! I cannot speak about In & Out because I never have been to one.

Dozens of times, actually. I'd say a 5 Guys burger is better than a Wendy's burger - but not by much. In fact, the taste is startlingly similar.

I'm flabbergasted by your comment about 5 Guys being better than a bar and grill burger. That's insane. I can name at least 2 dozen better burgers within a 5 mile radius of where I'm currently sitting (downtown Chicago) off the top of my head.

In 'N Out is a better burger than 5 Guys, but not significantly so.

Californian Elitist

Wendy's???? You've got to be kidding me. I can see you haven't eaten In-N-Out enough.

ChrisM

Wendy's???? You've got to be kidding me. I can see you haven't eaten In-N-Out enough.

Exactly 11 times.

Let me guess: you grew up in or live in California?

I'm convinced they add something to the water out there that makes you guys worship that place. And sure, it's pretty good. For a fast food hamburger.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not sure how this turned into a burger debate...but I'll run with it (this thread seems to flit all over the place, not that I'm complaining! <grin>)...

Hardees/Carls Jr. has an underrated burger in my opinion. It used to be terrible, but a few years ago they completely revamped the menu, and the new burgers are delicious. Fattening, for sure...but tasty delights in cardboard boxes to me!

Californian Elitist

Exactly 11 times.

I'm convinced they add something to the water out there that makes you guys worship that place. And sure, it's pretty good. For a fast food hamburger.

Like I guessed, not enough times. And correct, a native Angeleno and I still live here.

No, it's just part of the California way and culture. And it's not just Californians... Go to the In-N-Out Burger Facebook page and count how many people from both different states and countries begging for In-N-Out to come and build restaurants. Every time they do a pop-up in different countries, three-hundred burgers sell out in less than an hour. In-N-Out is legit. Gordon Ramsay, who's English, went to In-N-Out for the first time, then turned right around and went back through the drive-thru and got the exact same thing again. It's clearly not just Californians.

And I'd GLADLY take a double-double over a restaurant burger.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would think that in this generation Up accomplished the same thing.

Up was certainly powerful. NOT at all what I expected. However, my kid (4 at the time) didn't think it was so hot. The first 20 minutes seemed to bore her. This is not the case with Lion King or Bambi.

Though, and I know this is Disney blasphemy...Bambi bores me. <grin>

ChrisM

Like I guessed, not enough times. And correct, a native Angeleno and I still live here.

No, it's just part of the California way and culture. And it's not just Californians... Go to the In-N-Out Burger Facebook page and count how many people from both different states and countries begging for In-N-Out to come and build restaurants. Every time they do a pop-up in different countries, three-hundred burgers sell out in less than an hour. In-N-Out is legit. Gordon Ramsay, who's English, went to In-N-Out for the first time, then turned right around and went back through the drive-thru and got the exact same thing again. It's clearly not just Californians.

And I'd GLADLY take a double-double over a restaurant burger.

Gordon Ramsey, who will do anything to promote himself.

But your last line really cements the inanity. If my choice is McDonald's, Wendy's, 5 Guys, or In-N-Out, I'm going to pick In-N-Out almost every time. No question. But over a restaurant burger? That's just irrational regionalism. And trust me, I get it. I grew up just outside of Detroit and I still love a greasy Little Caesar's pizza every now and then as I grew up with it. But I'm not going to run around claiming it's the best pizza I've ever eaten (let alone better than pretty much any other pizza chain). And having lived in both Chicago and New York (and traveled extensively through Italy), I have pretty expansive experience with good pizzas (in all their varieties).

And hey, I'd love to have an In-N-Out in my neck of the woods...I love variety. But the cult of In-N-Out has grown completely out of proportion with the quality of the actual product.

Californian Elitist

Gordon Ramsey, who will do anything to promote himself.

But your last line really cements the inanity. If my choice is McDonald's, Wendy's, 5 Guys, or In-N-Out, I'm going to pick In-N-Out almost every time. No question. But over a restaurant burger? That's just irrational regionalism. And trust me, I get it. I grew up just outside of Detroit and I still love a greasy Little Caesar's pizza every now and then as I grew up with it. But I'm not going to run around claiming it's the best pizza I've ever eaten (let alone better than pretty much any other pizza chain). And having lived in both Chicago and New York (and traveled extensively through Italy), I have pretty expansive experience with good pizzas (in all their varieties).

And hey, I'd love to have an In-N-Out in my neck of the woods...I love variety. But the cult of In-N-Out has grown completely out of proportion with the quality of the actual product.

Yes, over a restaurant burger. California is burger nation and the best burgers here are the ones that don't come from restaurants. I can think of a few fast food/local "mom and pop" burger joints whose burgers taste WAY better than any restaurant burger. It's just different, but I understand where you're coming from.

ChrisM

Yes, over a restaurant burger. California is burger nation and the best burgers here are the ones that don't come from restaurants. I can think of a few fast food/local "mom and pop" burger joints whose burgers taste WAY better than any restaurant burger. It's just different, but I understand where you're coming from.

Clearly you need to get out of LA every now and then. :)

crispy

First, I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, but after a decade of Disney Disappointments (starting with Pocahontas, and really shoved into the ground with Hunchback, yeah, go ahead and flame me, but in NO WAY were those movies or any since it as good and more importantly universally memorable when compared to the revival films...

But, name one song from it (without googling)...better yet, find yourself subconsciously singing it, even if you've only heard it a few times.

THIS is what a great music can do. A song so catchy you know it by heart after only one or two viewings.

Tangled doesn't have that.

Second, I think that Rapunzel is already fading, as is Merida...note neither are at Cindy's Royal Table or Akershus, which means there is not much consumer demand to meet them compared to princesses who are 30 times their age.

I find it odd, my kid knows who Sleeping Beauty is...but she's NEVER seen the movie. Will Merida or Rapunzel carry on with such fame? Or will they be lost like Mulan and Pocahontas?

Have to disagree. Although Tangled isn't all about the music, my two little girls see "I See the Light" all the time (usually while twirling). It's a darn catchy tune. I think Tangled was one of the better Disney animated movies in a long time. I also don't think it was dumbed down for kids - the villain was evil but interesting and ended up meeting pretty nasty demise. Also, the them of a child being kidnapped and hidden away is pretty scary on the face of it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Exactly 11 times.

I have never been to In-N-Out (although I will be in Dallas next week so that might change), but I had my first Five-Guys-Burger a few months ago and I can say that it has nothing to do with brand loyalty for me. I've eaten a lot of burgers and Five Guys tops any fast food, and many non-fast food burgers I have had.

asianway

@Jason_Garcia did an article yesterday on theme park cutbacks.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ting-hours-20130704,0,7182697.story?dssReturn

If anyone recalls Jim "The Brain" Heaney, he was fired from Disney for Accounting Fraud. The poster child for "what a FL based executive has to do to get fired"

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...815_1_aulani-disney-vacation-club-time-shares

I know he was trolling around twitter for cost cutting examples-no one pointed him to this thread as far I know.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-giveth-and-disney-taketh-away.841422/

crispy

Hard to believe, but Disney only spent $85 million making Enchanted, making its $340 million worldwide gross look pretty good. It made major coin on video too (like $80 million in US DVD sales alone).

A shame its already been sorta forgotten. I thought it was the best Disney movie of 2000-2009.

Enchanted is another big hit in our house. My girls probably watch it at least once a week, and it's one of my all time favorites. I think they fact they couldn't really have Giselle in the parks was a big issue. I don't remember what the issue was exactly, but something along the lines of having to pay Amy Adams large sums of money to use her likeness since it was a live action movie. Anyone remember the exact story on that? Anyway, I think that's why Disney never really never promoted it and why it's forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom