Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figments Friend

Hell, it's also alot cheaper for ME to buy one shirt versus shelling out $$$ for 20 different ones.

You listening Disney? That Polynesian tshirt? Just that one, lone Poly shirt? The pink one? If there were 5 other designs, I'd own them all. And you'd have the green in my wallet.
-
Yep. I can relate.
I used to purchase several shirts a year....from mostly MK and EPCOT.
Back as recently as the early 2000s there seemed to always be multiple Park-specific designs, as well as Resort Hotels and even a few Attraction themed ones.
I remember after one shopping blitz in 2000 i came home with about 12 shirts...between Figment, EPCOT and MK stuff. I had 3 to 4 different designs for each it seemed, and there were many others being offered i was just not keen on.

That kind of variety all seemed to dry up when the big *Disney Parks* generic branding started.
I started coming home with maybe one...or sometimes two shirts ( i wear em* all the time...yeah i am a geek..!)
Now it is rare that i come home with a shirt. Sometimes a EPCOT one...usually a Retro-Cot offering.

I have seen some valid attempts to try to offer a few unusual gems recently....the World Showcase Pavillion collection of t-shirts comes to mind....so there is hope that more unique offerings may be forthcoming.

I will have to wait patiently for that Poly shirt ( brown t-shirt, with orange/yellow/red Resort pattern graphics and Logo....yeah!).

Oh...and i am still waiting for that rugged tee for *Tony*s Mountain* too...!

WDW1974

Original Poster
What about the emotional value of staying in the original Disney park hotel, the one Walt begged his friend to build, extended the monorail to in order to connect it with his park, the one that always beckoned from across the parking lot when going to your car after leaving the park at the end of the day.

As a child going to Disneyland in the '60s, there was a strong emotional attraction to the hotel. Even though it is hardly the "same" hotel today, I was very happy to finally be able to stay there a few years ago, even with Disney's inflated prices (which of course is the case with all Disney hotels). While it isn't a themed environment like the best hotels at WDW, it still feels like an extension of the park. Also, don't underestimate the fun and value of riding the monorail into Disneyland, and starting your day in the back of the park in Tomorrowland.

And the Grand Californian is great. Great themed environment coupled with great location. I'm at the Beach Club Villas right now, with its "convenient" access to DHS and relatively easy walk to Epcot. But neither of those compare to the really easy walk into DL, or the convenience of being inside DCA, where going back to the hotel room for a breather doesn't require a moment of second-guessing the decision because it is so easy to do.

I don't think emotions should allow a company to gouge consumers and when I think of $300-400 a night at the DLH, that's what I think is happening.

And since you are at the BCV now, what kind of shape are the units in? What about the carpeting? Couldn't help but notice the 'temp' stuff on the first floor when I was there last month.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I loved the dynamic between Lois and Clark, it was a welcome change IMO. I liked the Krypton mythology, but it was a lot to absorb. They could have spent some of that time fleshing out the characters on Earth. Did not like the last 5 minutes.

I didn't like the final 30 minutes, which felt like 90 as they just went on and on and ...
and the ending was weak and predictable. A new darker Man of Steel who has go go against his principles for this new age was the message ...that was funny later with the drone scene, but not in the way the filmmakers intended.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Staying at Paradise Pier next month. Any advice or experience there?

Yes. You want a DCA view or else you'll be looking at a very working class Anaheim 'hood out your window. PCH Grill was always a nice hidden place to dine reasonably at DLR, but I haven't been there since 20111 and haven't seen a menu of late.

I used to love staying there ... For $69 a night!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll crawl out of the shadows to add and confirm a few things.

Disney is concerned because Guests aren't spending money, but unique merchandise has vanished from Walt Disney World. I visited Universal Studios over the weekend and spent over $200 on one-of-a-kind HP and Transformers gear, and other people had bags of souvenir crap. Yet I haven't purchased anything other than food on Disney property since Christmas. That includes Epcot, which is obsessed with women's T-shirts, and Hollywood Studios, which has been overrun with identical plush toys. Heck, you can't even get a Test Track keychain or antenna topper at Test Track. Everything costs too much, everything is generic, everything is sold everywhere. Disney needs to fix this ASAP if they want Guests to start spending money again. Right now you can walk through the parks and see very few merch bags.

There's not much to add to the Hollywood Studios discussion, except that several departments have been notified they should prepare to move their offices away from certain areas that are marked for expansion. Oddly enough, the Beauty and the Beast contract renewals are up in the air, but Disney is hiring more stunt men for Indiana Jones.

Cameras, microphones, and speakers have been installed in Mickey's meet and greet rooms in the MK and DAK. The talking heads should go live within a few months.

Now to add my two cent's worth to the Magic Band NextGen discussion. More than anything else, the promise of crowd management sold execs on My Disney Experience ©®™. The explanation goes like this: crowds have reached almost unmanageable levels, and any new attraction will only drive attendance and add to the chaos. Look at how much busier the MK got based on one restaurant and a simple dark ride! Instead of building new rides, the plan is to force Guests to plan each day in advance; eventually Disney can phase out Standby queues at certain attractions and keep people moving all day. The data mining will help schedule CMs, target merchandise to specific demographics, and improve sales pitches.

Is the Magic Band completely horrible? No. But it is being touted as the solution to Ops problems. That, my friends, is the crux of the issue. Execs aren't planning exciting new attractions for the MK and Epcot to increase revenue and drive Guest satisfaction. They are depending on a glorified ride reservation system. Yes, you can use the bands for admission and purchases, but the real goal is to spread Guests throughout the existing attractions. This will take years to implement. Don't expect it next month or even next year. Meanwhile, hope that WDI gets to play with Frontierland (one Imagineer called it "the area you walk through to get to Splash and Thunder") and Tomorrowland, because the goal isn't to improve the MK's attraction roster. The goal is to redistribute crowds to existing locations and hope they spend enough money on Photopass and merchandise to justify the NextGen initiative. That's why Photopass paid for half the bracelet budget, and why a chunk of the billion-dollar price tag went to merch register systems.

Money has been dumped into helping Guests schedule every single ride and spend money on stuffed Mickeys. It's not a bad business plan, it's just not what the average Guest wants to do after all the stress already associated with a Disney vacation.

Meanwhile, a few miles away, Uni is building incredible rides. You know, the things that make people actually want to go to a theme park.

Nice to see the mysterious @tirian reappear. Nothing you said comes as a surprise.

I will say I like some of the newer lines of DAK merchandise, but that Disney is incredibly weak in retail. It's largely dated/logo stuff that loos like crap because it is or just lifting ancient designs and slapping them onto tees and calling them 'retro' ... No one is designing much of anything at the Design group.

Oh, and watch how this new boondoggle chases away many folks who simply don't feel the OCD need to plan that some fanbois do ...people who realize that MyMAGIC+ sounds like the polar opposite of a stress free vacation.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tokyo Disneyland has the BEST merchandise. Makes US Disney merchandise look like cheap crap. The good thing is you can find Tokyo Disneyland merchandise on eBay.

Not when I was there (sadly). Largely it was crap. Different than here in in the States, but crappy stuff for the Tokyo office girls and folks traveling from other parts of Japan to bring back for friends, family and co-workers.

Not one baseball cap for an adult or any tees/polos for men, no attraction specific collectables etc. I was very disappointed in merchandise there (the only disappointment). The only thing I liked was lots of special event/seasonal stuff (Christmas in my case) with very nice character representations.

But I would have killed for something from MI at TDS.

bubbles1812

Oh, and watch how this new boondoggle chases away many folks who simply don't feel the OCD need to plan that some fanbois do ...people who realize that MyMAGIC+ sounds like the polar opposite of a stress free vacation.
I've been thinking about this a lot and have wondered if Disney has even thought about how they are complicating an already relatively complicated process. Granted, they have to work out the website kinks but even assuming they manage to (judging by how it has been going thus far, it's a big if), imagining a person who has never been trying to sort thru all the different features and components that now go into a Disney vacation... I can easily see it being a huge turn off.

Even now, I can't tell you how many people don't realize that to get a half way decent meal, you have to reserve months in advance (which in and of itself is totally ridiculous). But now they are looking to add in the concept of ordering meals in advance... It could help with flow... Maybe... But their system goes offline and has so many things wrong with it, you can't tell me things are going to go wrong there. Not to mention people will still have to "check in" for their order so it isn't like it saves tons of time.

And that's just ONE component. So it's definitely a legit question to consider: How much is too much before people just say to hell with it, we will go somewhere else!? Has Disney even thought about it?

stevehousse

The over planning elements to MM+ are a total turnoff! I think it's already a struggle to find a good non crowded time to go, make dinner resos 6 months in advance and your lucky if u get what u want! I do think that the bracelets being used as park tickets and door openers is great, but seriously having to plan what I want to ride 60 days in advance is rediculous! Planning a Disney trip is hectic enough and I don't see this helping lines at all? I don't really get it??

And having a bracelet that I can use to purchase items is not going to make me buy more? I don't get that either? I I want it I will buy it if not o well! I do agree merch has been pretty bad as of late, te only good merch they have are all the different themed Mikey eArs!

ThemeParks4Life

I didn't like the final 30 minutes, which felt like 90 as they just went on and on and ...
and the ending was weak and predictable. A new darker Man of Steel who has go go against his principles for this new age was the message ...that was funny later with the drone scene, but not in the way the filmmakers intended.
Amen. Sure, the action was fun at first, but after 10 or 15 minutes you'd wish they'd stop, then soon you want it to die.

Californian Elitist

Not when I was there (sadly). Largely it was crap. Different than here in in the States, but crappy stuff for the Tokyo office girls and folks traveling from other parts of Japan to bring back for friends, family and co-workers.

Not one baseball cap for an adult or any tees/polos for men, no attraction specific collectables etc. I was very disappointed in merchandise there (the only disappointment). The only thing I liked was lots of special event/seasonal stuff (Christmas in my case) with very nice character representations.

Maybe the merchandise I've been seeing is old. I've been seeing things that I want REALLY bad. Then again, I'm a girl. Maybe it's the men merchandise that sucks?

nor'easter

Not one baseball cap for an adult or any tees/polos for men, no attraction specific collectables etc. I was very disappointed in merchandise

Just got back, and I agree that the merchandise is even worse than at WDW. Mostly junk, and stores filled with Duffy for the cult-like followers. A real disappointment. The attractions, however, were not.

momof1princess

I'm trying to remember, do they have "make your own T-Shirt" in any of the parks/DTD? Something similar to the art kiosks, where you can have artwork printed on demand (which I own quite a bit of and LOVE using). I'd think that would be a solid solution at least for Tshirts, and could employ a small army of graphic designers under Disney employ. This would give them the ability to sell unique merchandise without requiring them to order these things in massive quantities (thus being able match supply/demand on the fly).[/quote

Isn't this at DTD Springs now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom