Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd actually very much disagree with this. Tokyo's merchandise is pretty poor, and is similar to what you find at the rest of the resorts across the world.

Poor merch is a world wide Disney Parks problem.

The thing people latch onto for tdl is they create specific merchandise for just about every celebration and new stuff every season. So they don't have the stale, or too generic. But what TYPE of stuff they have is often criticized by American tourists.

So maybe they don't have the type of stuff one may want - but they have a ton

If memory serves.. I think attractions are not well represented in merch I think?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Duffy actually started here in the US just as The Disney Bear and was a total bomb. He was rebooted for Tokyo DisneySEA with the new name and story. The phenomenal success of Duffy in Japan had him brought back to the US with a far bigger push behind him.

Exactly. I have a Disney Bear we got in Disneyland somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago. Same-ish story "It's Mickey's Teddy Bear", same design, slightly different color (darker brown). They rebranded, pushed it to Japan, then brought it back.

Nubs70

Exactly. I have a Disney Bear we got in Disneyland somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago. Same-ish story "It's Mickey's Teddy Bear", same design, slightly different color (darker brown). They rebranded, pushed it to Japan, then brought it back.
Just like Jagermeister

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some Spirited random thoughts ... Did someone give Mom a quad espresso when she ordered a tazo tea? ... Did UNI really just open another major attraction that wasn't even under construction for the first half of 2012? ... Did I really like Man of Steel or think it was too much trying to be Marvel and way too long? ... Am I looking forward to watching CBS in June starting Monday? ... Why isn't the Disney Parks Blog and Scary Steven writing about the 'hidden' vinylmations in This Is the End? ... Why does it seem that the next two films I want to see -- Monsters U and World War Z -- are not well-liked by reviewers? ... Was it really 88 in Fairbanks (no global warming there) yesterday? ... Why would anyone queue up to dine at Be Our Guest? ... Oh, and how about those Miami Heat (congrats to Pat Riley and his organization ... Funny how Micky Arison would talk to anyone last night when he couldn't' be found after the Costa Concordia or carnival Triumph etc). ... Why do some people (even friends) think my time is unlimited? ... Did Ricky Brigante -- yeah, the same one who spread the absurd Star Wars announcement rumors on May 4 -- really rip those of us who are saying things are about to get interesting at TPFKaTD-MGMS ... I know he'd never ... Oh, but he did! ... Is Crazy Gary really speaking at a Mommy Blogging convention in Hotlanta in September? ... Do I miss being in the parks this summer? Of course I miss TDR, HKDL, DLP and DLR! ... DCL is getting closer to an announcement. Don't be surprised if you hear something at D23 that you didn't expect. ... People stop saying no one buys one-day theme park tickets at WDW or UNI or SW ... They do! ... Yogurtland was fine, until Menchies came along. ... I don't care about any bakery items from MSUSA, but I still crave and mourn for WDW's original Italian salad dressing from the 70s and 80s and DLR's Fantasia ice cream. You want cinnamon buns that make your buns bigger that actually tastes good? There's a great place all over O-town. It's called Cinnabon.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But are hardcore WDW fans that disgruntled? They still seem to be in love with the place. With the exception of perhaps this thread, it's difficult to comment negatively on anything without going 15 rounds with pixiedusters.

With all due respect, even the Spirit belittles those who lament the disappearance of MSUSA cinnamon rolls. (Stop it Spirit; people have a right to feel passionate about whatever they like, even if everyone agrees the coffee's 1000 times better!) I've never eaten one but find it refreshing that fans are willing to criticize WDW over something so simple. Maybe if more fans derided WDW for every step backwards, WDW would be more like DLR, which has a truly passionate fan base.

The problem is WDW fans never can agree on what to be disgruntled about. Usually, they pick some small and ridiculous thing (like their beloved 2000 calorie baked goods).

DLR fans got an improved product for focusing on the big picture. WDW fans never seem to see it. Hell, they can't even agree on positive changes. Whenever I feel that improvement at WDW is a lost cause, it's usually after reading something online written by 'fans'... In Anaheim, fans help ensure Walt's Legacy. In the swamps, fans ensure that TDO can get away with anything.

PhotoDave219

Some Spirited random thoughts ... Did someone give Mom a quad espresso when she ordered a tazo tea? ...
Nope, my fault. I argued with a child who turned out to be 33 and then I stopped biting my tounge.

Did UNI really just open another major attraction that wasn't even under construction for the first half of 2012? ...

Yes

Did I really like Man of Steel or think it was too much trying to be Marvel and way too long? ...

Zac Snyder wants to be Joss Whedon

Am I looking forward to watching CBS in June starting Monday? ...

The dome? Looks good

Why isn't the Disney Parks Blog and Scary Steven writing about the 'hidden' vinylmations in This Is the End? ...

Because he is tired as Madeline Kahn was in blazing saddles.

Why does it seem that the next two films I want to see -- Monsters U and World War Z -- are not well-liked by reviewers? ...

WWZ's book was amazing. Read that instead.
Was it really 88 in Fairbanks (no global warming there) yesterday? ...

Yes.

Why would anyone queue up to dine at Be Our Guest? ...

Beats a tanning bed.

Oh, and how about those Miami Heat (congrats to Pat Riley and his organization ... Funny how Micky Arison would talk to anyone last night when he couldn't' be found after the Costa Concordia or carnival Triumph etc). ...

Lets face it, San Antonio choked.

Why do some people (even friends) think my time is unlimited? ...

Charge by the hour! ;)

Did Ricky Brigante -- yeah, the same one who spread the absurd Star Wars announcement rumors on May 4 -- really rip those of us who are saying things are about to get interesting at TPFKaTD-MGMS ... I know he'd never ... Oh, but he did! ...

You mean Rickey "wouldn't know journalism if it joined him in the shower like a sorority girl" Brigante? He didn't take any responsibility for the May the 4th lunacy, so......

Is Crazy Gary really speaking at a Mommy Blogging convention in Hotlanta in September? ...

You mean former Maryland Basketball coach Gary Williams?

Do I miss being in the parks this summer? Of course I miss TDR, HKDL, DLP and DLR! ... DCL is getting closer to an announcement. Don't be surprised if you hear something at D23 that you didn't expect. ...

Are they shipping up to Boston? To find their wooden leg?

People stop saying no one buys one-day theme park tickets at WDW or UNI or SW ... They do! ...

$100/day beats $250 an hour. :lookaroun

Yogurtland was fine, until Menchies came along. ... I don't care about any bakery items from MSUSA, but I still crave and mourn for WDW's original Italian salad dressing from the 70s and 80s and DLR's Fantastic ice cream. You want cinnamon buns that make your buns bigger that actually tastes good? There's a great place all over O-town. It's called Cinnabon.

But it's not baked with icing!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Then perhaps next year after you wait 30 minutes for Mansion as a result of FP+, you'll come and join me and my family at Uni?:D

There is no reason Mansion should ever have a wait that long except during some days about two or three weeks a year. And that is only for parts of the day.

FP+ is all about creating artificially long waits where they shouldn't exist. And if it succeeds, then I'll be elsewhere.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really don't see the point of the free membership since it does not come with the magazine and there are no major events unless you live in the Los Angeles area.

The magazine should be free. It is very light on content beyond nice photos it pulls from the Archives. Tales From the Laughing Place was sooooo much better, but Disney put them out of business. ... And the magazine (or at least last summers issue has been at my local outlet store for $9.99 for six months ... And I think they sold one or two issues. Maybe they'll make them $1.99 and move them.

The point of the free membership is largely access to the content on their website and some discounts.

Reactions: HMF

WDW1974

Original Poster
Still waiting to hear on this one. Hopefully some of the plans will be resurrected in other Paramount projects if it is officially dead.

I don't know anyone who ever thought the park in Spain would get built. Look at the economy there. ... I am slightly more optimistic about the one announced for London, although it wouldn't shock me if that one died too.

Reactions: |Q|

WDW1974

Original Poster
another sidebar: We stayed at the Carousel Inn this past visit to DLR because we wanted to be within walking distance and we didn't want to pay $300+/night for our room. We'd rather (and did) spend it on fine dining at Club 33, Steakhouse 55, and other nice locations. However, we will not be staying at Carousel Inn again...so I have no idea what we're gonna do next trip. :confused:

Unlike my friend, try using Priceline.com's name your own price bidding service. And thank me when you are done and you have a great area hotel for well under $100 a night (maybe even under half that).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Regarding Man of Steel, did anyone else feel it was tone deaf? It seemed liked they were setting up emotional scenes, but it never seemed like the payoff came.

Oh yeah. That was one of my big issues with the film (there were others). I kept waiting for some real emotion and real heart. There were so many moments where you thought they were coming and nothing.

I didn't hate the film by any means, but I enjoyed Superman Returns more. Really!

Figments Friend

For me nothing sums up the current state of WDW's merchandising strategy better than Villains in Vogue in DHS. Once upon a time the shop used to sell merchandise themed to some of the best characters to come out of Walt Disney Animation Studios, the Disney villains. A lot of them are among my favourite characters so over the years I spent a considerable amount of money in that particular shop on merchandise that wasn't readily available elsewhere in the resort. Then the villains merchandise began to dry out and instead the shop now sells vinylmation, generic (and ridiculously overpriced) things that can be bought at a plethora of shops throughout WDW while actual villains merchandise has been allocated a tiny stretch of wall space, tucked away in the corner. I haven't spent a penny in that shop for years.

Wow...major nostalgic flashback....i LOVED that place.
Always made a pass through to check out the Merch there. Some choice pieces...and some sinister-loving Cast worked there back then.

I bought a large Malificent dragon plush many years ago there, and i will always remember the manager doing this hilariously diabolical routine with it while i was checking out at the counter with him.
Everytime i see the plush, i remember him and our little play period.

That place was great....loved the decor and the huge statues that were display areas for product. It was quite a dissapointment when i passed through a few years ago and noticed the changes.

Now it is not worth even glancing in, as just about everything except the few Villians coffee mugs on that small corner shelf display is sold elsewhere on Property X 100.

I will say this : The window display figures are still worth viewing, particularly at night.

WDW1974

Original Poster
For myself, and probably others, I just think I have such a strong skepticism of anything that goes on at WDW these days, that it's tough to get excited over something with still so much uncertainty. For a few reasons, really:

1) A part of me doesn't necessarily believe this will happen, that budgets will be slashed, and the end we will end up with another half-hearted, value engineered, soulless land like FLE (oooh, an idea...Could the refurb at DHS include a giant portait of Dan Cockerell like the one Phil got?!). You have to admit, neither TDO nor WDI has a really good track record in Florida in the last 10 years. Execution is crucial, nothing is a sure bet. And another drawn out 5 or 6 year construction timeline seems crazy.

2) As wonderful as a major overhaul of DHS might be, is it going to fix things that desperately need help like GMR or Fantasmic? Or even the rest of WDW? What about the fact that all 3 other parks still have major issues in terms of upkeep of attractions/entertainment? The completely outdated CoP at the MK or the terrible Stitch show, or Ellen or EO or RoE in Epcot, or broken Yetis at DAK. Or one of the multitude of other small (poor entertainment) and large (monorail and other transport infrastructure) problems the resort faces?

I'm cautiously optomistic, but again, the track record of hits and misses at WDW in recent years speaks for itself.

Totally agree ... BUT you have to start somewhere and this is somewhere.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We've stayed at several hotels in the Disneyland area, and my favorite remains the Anaheim Desert Inn, which is literally across the street. I can regularly snag rooms there for ~$100/night.

The nicest hotel we've stayed at in Anaheim is the Hyatt (although its theming obviously doesn't compare with the GCH). We paid ~$100/night for that, too, and received a free upgrade to a suite. The downside is that it's just outside of a reasonable walking distance, so I doubt we'll stay there again.

My sole criterion for Disneyland hotels is whether they're walking distance or not walking distance--not whether they're off-site or on-site.

We've done GCH and I would not say it offered good value for money. We'll probably do Disneyland Hotel for a couple of nights at some point, too, but I similarly expect it to be poor value for money.

I love the Grand Californian, but I can't justify what it commands now. Not when I can snag a room at the Hilton, Sheraton,Hyatt or Crowne Plaza for $50 on PL.com.

My current favorite is a suite 15 minutes away in Buena Park that I've never paid more than $53 for and includes free breakfast, internet, happy hours (four nights) and parking, but I realize many people just fly in cor DLR and are afraid to drive in SoCal.

HTF

I love the Grand Californian, but I can't justify what it commands now. Not when I can snag a room at the Hilton, Sheraton,Hyatt or Crowne Plaza for $50 on PL.com.

My current favorite is a suite 15 minutes away in Buena Park that I've never paid more than $53 for and includes free breakfast, internet, happy hours (four nights) and parking, but I realize many people just fly in cor DLR and are afraid to drive in SoCal.

Embassy off of East Frontera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom