Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles1812

I really do think critics have it out for Pixar
I don't think that's necessarily true. Granted, I don't agree with everything critics say but at the same time, Pixars last two efforts did have a lot of flaws. Cars 2 was very much a product of gangbusters merchandising. IMO, Pixar's weakest film. And I enjoyed Brave but there it was very apparent to me that it had a lot problems compared to some of Pixar's other movies. I would actually say some critics even give their movies a "pass" simply because they have the Pixar stamp on them. Sorry, but it just seems silly to me to say that the "collective" of critics have it out for anyone... Except for Michael Bay maybe. They surely do hate him.

Animaniac93-98

It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.

Really, $559 million worldwide is anything but a "dud." A dud means that it is a financial disaster. Brave made less.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cars2.htm

I wasn't speaking in financial terms, and considering all but one of Pixar's 14 movies has an approval rating of less than 70% on RT I think the belief that they have it "out" for them is completely baseless.

Except for Michael Bay maybe. They surely do hate him.

Entirely justified too.

asianway

Not when I was there (sadly). Largely it was crap. Different than here in in the States, but crappy stuff for the Tokyo office girls and folks traveling from other parts of Japan to bring back for friends, family and co-workers.

Not one baseball cap for an adult or any tees/polos for men, no attraction specific collectables etc. I was very disappointed in merchandise there (the only disappointment). The only thing I liked was lots of special event/seasonal stuff (Christmas in my case) with very nice character representations.

But I would have killed for something from MI at TDS.
Overall I spent way less than I thought, the only attraction specific stuff that comes to find are the handkerchiefs. Got a Small World and Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall one in the little kiosk by Snow White just to have something. Also spent waaay more than I'd ever admit in the magic shop for stuff I can't read. Great graphics though. Tower of Terror shop also had a lot of TOT merch.

Taylor

I don't think that's necessarily true. Granted, I don't agree with everything critics say but at the same time, Pixars last two efforts did have a lot of flaws. Cars 2 was very much a product of gangbusters merchandising. IMO, Pixar's weakest film. And I enjoyed Brave but there it was very apparent to me that it had a lot problems compared to some of Pixar's other movies. I would actually say some critics even give their movies a "pass" simply because they have the Pixar stamp on them. Sorry, but it just seems silly to me to say that the "collective" of critics have it out for anyone... Except for Michael Bay maybe. They surely do hate him.
Yeah I was overreaching a little.

misterID

Pixar is basically the darling company of Hollywood. As long as they continue to put out quality product. Bubbles is right, Pixar does get a pass because their body of work is so good. For every Cars 2 there's an Up, which seperates them from every other animation house in Hollywood.

bubbles1812

Pixar is basically the darling company of Hollywood. As long as they continue to put out quality product. Bubbles is right, Pixar does get a pass because their body of work is so good. For every Cars 2 there's an Up, which seperates them from every other animation house in Hollywood.
I've actually been impressed with a decent amount of the Dreamworks movies. How to Train Your Dragon was wonderful. The Kung-Fu Panda movies had much more "depth" than I expected, especially the second one. And the Madagascar series is pure fun. I hope Universal eventually incorporates something in their parks. with the crazy colorful circus sequences in the third movie. Though surprisingly, the Shrek franchise just never did it for me.

But anyways... Yeah, I don't exactly see Dreamworks getting the same leniency as Pixar films do nor the pre-release buzz of "this film is going to be good. It has to be. It's Pixar!" And often times it is, but not always.

tirian

Nice to see the mysterious @tirian reappear. Nothing you said comes as a surprise.

I will say I like some of the newer lines of DAK merchandise, but that Disney is incredibly weak in retail. It's largely dated/logo stuff that loos like crap because it is or just lifting ancient designs and slapping them onto tees and calling them 'retro' ... No one is designing much of anything at the Design group.

Oh, and watch how this new boondoggle chases away many folks who simply don't feel the OCD need to plan that some fanbois do ...people who realize that MyMAGIC+ sounds like the polar opposite of a stress free vacation.

I crap in the loo. Don't you?

Taylor

I've actually been impressed with a decent amount of the Dreamworks movies. How to Train Your Dragon was wonderful. The Kung-Fu Panda movies were deeper" than I expected, especially the second one. And the Madagascar series is pure fun. I hope Universal eventually incorporates something in their parks. with the crazy colorful circus sequences in the third movie. Though surprisingly, the Shrek franchise just never did it for me. But anyways... Yeah, I don't exactly see Dreamworks getting the same leniency as Pixar films do nor the pre-release buzz of "this film is going to be good. It has to be. It's Pixar!"
I loved the first Shrek but it went downhill majorly same with Madagascar. I wonder how good the How to Train Your Dragon sequel will be?

Sue_Vongello

I have seen that Pony show, and you know what? It's got a lot of the color and magic Disney shows used to have. It's the sort of thing Disney ought to be making for its cable channel, instead of crap like "Dog with a Blog". Jeez...

Holy cow! I had to look that up ... I thought you made it up! Nope that's a real show ... maybe WDW isn't the only place where quality has suffered.

tirian

I've been thinking about this a lot and have wondered if Disney has even thought about how they are complicating an already relatively complicated process. Granted, they have to work out the website kinks but even assuming they manage to (judging by how it has been going thus far, it's a big if), imagining a person who has never been trying to sort thru all the different features and components that now go into a Disney vacation... I can easily see it being a huge turn off.

Even now, I can't tell you how many people don't realize that to get a half way decent meal, you have to reserve months in advance (which in and of itself is totally ridiculous). But now they are looking to add in the concept of ordering meals in advance... It could help with flow... Maybe... But their system goes offline and has so many things wrong with it, you can't tell me things are going to go wrong there. Not to mention people will still have to "check in" for their order so it isn't like it saves tons of time.

And that's just ONE component. So it's definitely a legit question to consider: How much is too much before people just say to hell with it, we will go somewhere else!? Has Disney even thought about it?

You'll walk into a quick-service restaurant, tap your bracelet to confirm your pre-existing order, and have it appear. Attraction photos will automatically go to a Photopass Plus account; you won't even need to stop to tap your bracelet on anything. Mickey will know your name when you walk into his meet-and-greet. The gum will never get removed from the scrims in the Haunted Mansion.

tirian

Just got back, and I agree that the merchandise is even worse than at WDW. Mostly junk, and stores filled with Duffy for the cult-like followers. A real disappointment. The attractions, however, were not.

I returned from Tokyo with very few TDR items. I still don't own anything from DL California except a single t-shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom