Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterID

I've actually been impressed with a decent amount of the Dreamworks movies. How to Train Your Dragon was wonderful. The Kung-Fu Panda movies had much more "depth" than I expected, especially the second one. And the Madagascar series is pure fun. I hope Universal eventually incorporates something in their parks. with the crazy colorful circus sequences in the third movie. Though surprisingly, the Shrek franchise just never did it for me.

But anyways... Yeah, I don't exactly see Dreamworks getting the same leniency as Pixar films do nor the pre-release buzz of "this film is going to be good. It has to be. It's Pixar!"

How To Train Your Dragon was great. Like Pixar level. But when you consider Up!, it just has a level sophistication (but still have the kids humor) that just hasn't been matched. It had a heavy emotional punch. And I stil don't know of a DreamWorks animated film that has matched The Incredibles. It's way under appreciated for being a flat out great film. Story, direction, animation, characters. All the way around, fantastic.

And UNI needs to get with the UC guys who built the family dark rides in their asia parks. Have you seen the Sesame Street dark ride in space? I can't even imagine what they could have done with Dispicable Me or Sponge Bob, but on a bigger scale. Madagascar Crate Adventure would be a fun ride in O-town too, if they could ever figure out how to make those drops work. Maybe they should ride POTC again to learn the secret ;)

Magenta Panther

You'll walk into a quick-service restaurant, tap your bracelet to confirm your pre-existing order, and have it appear. Attraction photos will automatically go to a Photopass Plus account; you won't even need to stop to tap your bracelet on anything. Mickey will know your name when you walk into his meet-and-greet. The gum will never get removed from the scrims in the Haunted Mansion.

People put GUM on the scrims in the Mansion? How do they even get close enough to...do they SPIT the gum on them or something?

(I'd ask, "WHY would people put gum on..." but what's the use? Why do people deface the queue at TSMM? Why did I see members of a trailer-park-trash family do their best to rip bits of the theming off at Little Mermaid, determined to take home a special souvenir? If there is a God, why would He give a crap about us -we despicable humans, who spit gum on the scrims at Haunted Mansion! Existential questions like these never get answered. I wonder what it's like to be the maintenance crew at WDW. Clearly those poor souls see the worst of humanity...)

bubbles1812

How To Train Your Dragon was great. Like Pixar level. But when you consider Up!, it just has a level sophistication (but still have the kids humor) that just hasn't been matched. It had a heavy emotional punch. And I stil don't know of a DreamWorks animated film that has matched The Incredibles. It's way under appreciated for being a flat out great film. Story, direction, animation, characters. All the way around, fantastic.

And UNI needs to get with the UC guys who built the family dark rides in their asia parks. Have you seen the Sesame Street dark ride in space? I can't even imagine what they could have done with Dispicable Me or Sponge Bob, but on a bigger scale. Madagascar Crate Adventure would be a fun ride in O-town too, if they could ever figure out how to make those drops work. Maybe they should ride POTC again to learn the secret ;)
Shows how subjective it all really is. I thought the Incredibles was just ok. It's premise was fun, but I found the kid characters annoying and what's his name characterization in the beginning as really unimpressive. Actually I found all of the characters except Edna a bit annoying truthfully thinking anout it (though no Pixar character has ever come close to the annoyance/dislike I have for Mater). And it was a freaking loud movie.

I would put How To Train Your Dragon far above it, and would say maybe a few other Dreamworks movies are either close to the mark or very close to it. But I would agree, it's hard to beat Up in terms of the "emotional story" presented. My fav Pixar movie is actually Wall-E, which I know isn't a lot of peoples' fav but I absolutely adore it.

Mister Boo

Pixar did this to themselves. They raised the bar with that run of incredible original films, but now we're in a place where three of the last four (!) movies have been sequel stuff and the lone original--Brave--was honestly pretty close to a total dog, at least in its second half. To say nothing of Cars 2 (yeeech)

We all hoped Pixar would rub off on Disney but it looks pretty clear that it went the other way around :(

ThemeParks4Life

Unfortunately I'm skipping Monsters University in theaters since the only tolerable theater showing it is 40 minutes away. I'll just wait for the Blu Ray.

IHeartArt

I have seen that Pony show, and you know what? It's got a lot of the color and magic Disney shows used to have. It's the sort of thing Disney ought to be making for its cable channel, instead of crap like "Dog with a Blog". Jeez...
It's only average. People treat it like the Second Coming of Cartoons and it's super annoying.

On a side note, Gravity Falls. Watch that stuff day and night. Best show Disney has right now. New episode coming on the 28th.

stevehousse

Speaking about animation, have any of you seen the previews for the new Mickey Mouse cartoons that will be airing on the Disney Channel?

I am very excited for new show with the whole gang and having my kids being able to experience that show...however...

I am very dissappointed with the style of animation they are using! Talk about throwing tradition out the window!!! It upsets me that they didn't keep it traditional :(

djlaosc

It's highly likely.

It would make if they were going to replace B&TB to do so before the rumoured big project, so that they would have something new to promote on one side of the park while the other side was being torn down. Also, if what people are saying about the capacity of Indiana Jones, then it would make sense to keep it open as long as possible while they replaced Backlot Tour/LMA.

It would also make sense to replace VOTLM at the same time/just after B&TB, but it depends on whether that could be where Muppets could be moving to, and whether they would want two Muppet attractions open in two different areas of the park.

djlaosc

Shows how subjective it all really is. I thought the Incredibles was just ok. It's premise was fun, but I found the kid characters annoying and what's his name characterization in the beginning as really unimpressive. Actually I found all of the characters except Edna a bit annoying truthfully thinking anout it (though no Pixar character has ever come close to the annoyance/dislike I have for Mater). And it was a freaking loud movie.

I would put How To Train Your Dragon far above it, and would say maybe a few other Dreamworks movies are either close to the mark or very close to it. But I would agree, it's hard to beat Up in terms of the "emotional story" presented. My fav Pixar movie is actually Wall-E, which I know isn't a lot of peoples' fav but I absolutely adore it.

My problem with the Incredibles is that it felt like the first part of a film. It had all the set-up, but then the Underminer appeared, and it just finished. It didn't feel like a complete film to me, and would be the Pixar film that I would say needs a sequel (especially with the popularity of superhero films at the moment).

How To Train Your Dragon was a great film - I actually said "it's like you're watching a Pixar film". The first two Shrek's were great films, the third was bad, and I don't think I've seen any of the other DreamWorks franchises (I've seen some of the standalones, but not the other franchises).

My favourite Pixar film is WALL-E as well.

HMF

The magazine should be free. It is very light on content beyond nice photos it pulls from the Archives. Tales From the Laughing Place was sooooo much better, but Disney put them out of business. ... And the magazine (or at least last summers issue has been at my local outlet store for $9.99 for six months ... And I think they sold one or two issues. Maybe they'll make them $1.99 and move them.

The point of the free membership is largely access to the content on their website and some discounts.
It really does feel like a spit in the face. I bought all but one of those overpriced magazines from bookstores even though I was not a D23 member. I can understand them pulling it from book stores but now even with the so-called free membership you are denied access to something that used to be publicly available. So much for customer loyalty.

Computer Magic

It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.

Really, $559 million worldwide is anything but a "dud." A dud means that it is a financial disaster. Brave made less.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cars2.htm
Yeah a dud is John Carter not any Pixar movie. Just because it didn't meet our expectation doesn't make it a dud. FWIW, I didn't like Cars 2 and IMHO Pixar isn't what it once was when a standalone company. I fear Disney will hurt Pixar over the years with something called oversaturation.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

Wall-E is my favorite, too. Adore is also the word I'd use. But I didn't appreciate UP the way everyone else seems to. I enjoyed the silent beginning of the movie, but it went quickly downhill from there for me. :shrug:

I do like the Incredibles; yes, the kids are a bit annoying, but aren't most kids? ;)

My problem with the Incredibles is that it felt like the first part of a film. It had all the set-up, but then the Underminer appeared, and it just finished. It didn't feel like a complete film to me, and would be the Pixar film that I would say needs a sequel (especially with the popularity of superhero films at the moment).

How To Train Your Dragon was a great film - I actually said "it's like you're watching a Pixar film". The first two Shrek's were great films, the third was bad, and I don't think I've seen any of the other DreamWorks franchises (I've seen some of the standalones, but not the other franchises).

My favourite Pixar film is WALL-E as well.

All of this. (except I haven't seen HTTYD) :)

NoChesterHester

Yeah a dud is John Carter not any Pixar movie. Just because it didn't meet our expectation doesn't make it a dud. FWIW, I didn't like Cars 2 and IMHO Pixar isn't what it once was when a standalone company. I fear Disney will hurt Pixar over the years with something called oversaturation.

Pixar isn't what it once was because they are cranking out sequels rather than new ideas.

Magenta Panther

It's only average. People treat it like the Second Coming of Cartoons and it's super annoying.

On a side note, Gravity Falls. Watch that stuff day and night. Best show Disney has right now. New episode coming on the 28th.

Frankly, I think the fact that the Pony show has reached across generations and broken down gender barriers is the sort of thing the best Disney films do. Or at least used to do. I'd hardly call that "average" - although I admit that I haven't seen enough episodes yet to even know all of the ponies' names. But I was rather surprised at what I saw. Quality. That's what I saw.

But Gravity Falls....YEAH!!!!! Wonderful wonderful show! Really warm and funny and intriguing. Easily a show for all ages. I could see a full-length feature film made out of it, which Disney is already doing with Phineas and Ferb. Or perhaps a mini-attraction at the parks. I like the relationship between Dipper and Mabel - so much more positive and original than the usual brother-sister animosity you see everywhere else. I'm getting a bit tired of Dipper's fixation on Wendy though...but a little boy's crush on an older woman is a stubborn thing, I suppose...anyway Gravity Falls is the best. It gives me hope that the Disney Channel will feature more animation in the future, and fewer dopey teen "comedies".

Funmeister

It really does feel like a spit in the face. I bought all but one of those overpriced magazines from bookstores even though I was not a D23 member. I can understand them pulling it from book stores but now even with the so-called free membership you are denied access to something that used to be publicly available. So much for customer loyalty.

I think the new structure is part of a last ditch effort to save D23. The convention will make or break it imho.

Magenta Panther

Speaking about animation, have any of you seen the previews for the new Mickey Mouse cartoons that will be airing on the Disney Channel?

I am very excited for new show with the whole gang and having my kids being able to experience that show...however...

I am very dissappointed with the style of animation they are using! Talk about throwing tradition out the window!!! It upsets me that they didn't keep it traditional :(

I like the new Mouse cartoons - what I've seen of them. It's especially neat that they're using the old-school Mickey style. Yeah, the animation is not the traditional kind, strictly speaking, although at least it isn't CG. But it still looks awesome to me, and I'm so happy that Mickey is back performing, instead of just "starring" on T-shirts and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom