Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clever Name

I want to know what those are. They don't look like cameras. I'd be the freak-show trying to skirt around them up against the wall all Mission:Impossible 'n junk. LOL!
It looks like a variant of the Smart Eye UCOS. If you look closely at the photo you'll see that there are four of these units. They operate in stereo pairs. In short, they are fancy optical people counters. No photos are taken. Here's some more information: http://www.ait.ac.at/research-servi...smart-eye-ucos-universal-counting-sensor/?L=1

Goofyernmost

It really is good to see you...@WDW1974 Your presence brings some kind of spirited normalcy to the thread ( if there is such a thing). I think something that might be overlooked is if one of these CM IPods are misplaced or stolen. IF.....I repeat....IF this much info readily available I do believe it could be used nefariously by a bad guy.
Just like Disney the more info a bad guy has about you and your family the easier mark it makes you. They too build a profile. Again....you dont have a problem with it....great! Why flame someone who does.
Wouldn't the Bad Guy have to know how to access the information? Do you just pick up an iPod and turn it on and there it is everything you ever wanted to know about absolutely everybody right there on the screen? Wouldn't you have to be specific about who's information you want. Wouldn't you have to know names or something to use for a search? I'm sure that someone could find a way into any program, but, those people could do that even without it being simple.

I for one, could be a very bad guy and I wouldn't be able to access this information if I had too. Those that can, can with or without anyone's help.

lazyboy97o

Wouldn't the Bad Guy have to know how to access the information? Do you just pick up an iPod and turn it on and there it is everything you ever wanted to know about absolutely everybody right there on the screen? Wouldn't you have to be specific about who's information you want. Wouldn't you have to know names or something to use for a search? I'm sure that someone could find a way into any program, but, those people could do that even without it being simple.

I for one, could be a very bad guy and I wouldn't be able to access this information if I had too. Those that can, can with or without anyone's help.
The "bad guy" can easily be a Cast Member (previous or current) trained to use the device. There are also plenty of hackers out there who could figure it out.

sweetpee_1993

It looks like a variant of the Smart Eye UCOS. If you look closely at the photo you'll see that there are four of these units. They operate in stereo pairs. In short, they are fancy optical people counters. No photos are taken. Here's some more information: http://www.ait.ac.at/research-servi...smart-eye-ucos-universal-counting-sensor/?L=1

Thank you. No freeze rays or disintegrating lasers. Good.

Sooooo, next question is why the fancy pants people counters in this location??? To see a # difference between the tap-to-enters and physical bodies walking under the tunnels???

PhotoDave219

asianway

My upcoming cruise companion wants to do two meals at Palo, but the fat Spirit inside of me is saying 'damn, that is too much food for even you!'
Protip: you can make a Palo under your login & your companion can make another circumventing the one per rule

Clever Name

Thank you. No freeze rays or disintegrating lasers. Good.

Sooooo, next question is why the fancy pants people counters in this location??? To see a # difference between the tap-to-enters and physical bodies walking under the tunnels???
These devices do more than the tap-to-enter counters. They measure people flow and direction. Notice that the devices are placed in a restricted and choked area where people will sometimes be crowded together very tightly. That is by design because they keep track of entrance, exit, flow, volume and density.

They keep track of flow direction, speed, time, date and the data can be compared real time against the tap-to-enter data to check for unauthorized entry. The devices can also detect if someone has fallen down in a crowd. They are more accurate than the current optical turnstile sensors. The idea is that you shove as many people as you want, as fast as you want and these devices will give you an accurate count automatically.

sweetpee_1993

These devices do more than the tap-to-enter counters. They measure people flow and direction. Notice that the devices are placed in a restricted and choked area where people will sometimes be crowded together very tightly. That is by design because they keep track of entrance, exit, flow, volume and density.

They keep track of flow direction, speed, time, date and the data can be compared real time against the tap-to-enter data to check for unauthorized entry. The devices can also detect if someone has fallen down in a crowd. They are more accurate than the current optical turnstile sensors. The idea is that you shove as many people as you want, as fast as you want and these devices will give you an accurate count automatically.

That's cool and freaky all at the same time. Cool in the tech ability. Freaky in the weird feeling of being "watched". Ever been in a room by yourself but didn't feel like you were alone? Freaky like that, like some mystery someone is aware of you but you aren't aware of them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not to be jackass, but I love how these individuals are spoken about like most any of the members on the forum actually know how they'd perform and their business style. Ugh. Taking a studio head and making them the head of a massive worldwide corporation, that can be quite the leap.

Hollywood and big corps in general often put people in positions they have no right to be in. At Disney that could be having a finance guy like Brad Rex become EPCOT VP ... Or a retail guy like Paul Pressler become head of P&R ...or a cable TV guy like Rich Ross become head of TWDS ..or even now, having a financial/strategic planner become head of P&R.

And folks say they want to see Staggs run Disney with nothing to back that up beyond he has kids or some fanbois who find him attractive physically.

Clever Name

So those things that Disney was testing earlier this year at entrance/exit?
I don't think so Dave. These devices serve to double check and verify the data obtained at the entrance. I think the devices you're referring to were most likely part of the biometric facial recognition system they tested at EPCOT. But to the tell you the truth, I'm not really sure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not losing sleep over it, but I still don't like it. There are bad people everywhere and I don't blame Disney when an employee does something wrong currently. I'm sure they do some form of background checks or security before hiring. I just can't see why you would want that many cast members to have access to that much personal info. Its just too tempting. If something happens as a result Disney could be opening themselves up for a serious lawsuit not to mention the horrible PR. This isn't credit card info we are talking about. It's literally a list of where I'm going to be and at what time for the remainder of my trip.

True enough ...THis also isn't 1974 or 1984. Go spend a few hours in front of the casting center and watch what goes in looking for employment. No, it isn't as bad as say it was in 2005 where anyone who walked in (even if they had just been released from jail an hour before) was hired because Disney needed bodies who would work for minimum wage. But the type of person who can bet hired by WDW today is very scary, beyond the happy college kids and seniors.

Kuhio

They are Leno eating rooms (that is what auto correct does when you type renovating rooms too fast).

If you think "Leno eating rooms" is bad, you don't want to know what auto-correct does to minor misspellings of the word "fixing."

In case it's not clear what I mean, I could rephrase a tried-and-true Spirited witticism... but let's just say that very few people will want to get this particular point...
eek.gif

IHeartArt

If you think "Leno eating rooms" is bad, you don't want to know what auto-correct does to minor misspellings of the word "fixing."

In case it's not clear what I mean, I could rephrase a tried-and-true Spirited witticism... but let's just very few people will want to get this particular point...
eek.gif

This is why I stick to posting when I'm sitting down. Far easier to type and far less likely to end up making some unfortunate mistakes.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
True enough ...THis also isn't 1974 or 1984. Go spend a few hours in front of the casting center and watch what goes in looking for employment. No, it isn't as bad as say it was in 2005 where anyone who walked in (even if they had just been released from jail an hour before) was hired because Disney needed bodies who would work for minimum wage. But the type of person who can bet hired by WDW today is very scary, beyond the happy college kids and seniors.
Still plenty of seniors. Happy college kids though are limited CPs or Foreign Exchange...not lifelong "professional" CMs...I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom