Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The predator aspect was an extreme example, but why leave even a slight door open. My original example was a kid in the college program who hits on a girl who doesn't give him the time of day. He now has the girl's entire itinerary for the rest of her stay. Maybe he shows up at Raglan Road on Tuesday night and "bumps" into her. I just find it creepy that a cast member has all of that info on me or someone in my party just by swiping my band.
The perp could still do it the old fashion way and just follow you.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Your first line has to be the most naive statement I have ever read. When an employee...Cast Member...is on the clock they are a representative of Disney and Next Gen.

So by Disney creating a system that exposes too much info to people who have no business seeing it and creating the possibility of wrong doing should not considered negligent? Your family is in GREAT hands! Good luck with that.

If it came out that this information as used in this way the media would be all over Disney for it, and I bet the security on those I-Pads would all of a sudden get better. Companies often don't get serious abut security until there is some sort of incident.

WDWDad13

You are missing the point. The waiter at Be Our Guest didn't have access to any of my info when I had a room key, tickets or my finger print scanned. He may have scanned my credit card or room key if I was on the meal plan, but that is all. All of that info existed in a database, but access was limited to those who needed it and even if you found my info its just a name and some info in a system. Now it's face to face and the waiter is looking at me and seeing all of my info on his screen. That's the part that's creepy. I already said I didn't have much of an issue with being a faceless name in some database filled with millions of guests.

So where is the problem even IF (and by the way all of this is speculation and not proven fact) joe bob serving you at be our guest knew you were going to Epcot tomorrow and eating at corral reef. Why would they care or waste their time?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh my lord....you need a vacation but you better not make a reservation or tell anyone so no one knows when and where ya know just in case

Honestly maybe it's just me but I feel VERY safe at WDW even if they tracked my every move while inside THEIR resort area

I have always felt very safe at WDW. The overwhelming majority of people working there are good people without evil intent. This new twist to the NextGen system is disturbing to me and definitely leaves me feeling less safe. Not saying I'm canceling all future trips or anything, but its just creepy. Sorry to keep using the same word over and over, but I can't think of a better way to express it.

WDWDad13

I have always felt very safe at WDW. The overwhelming majority of people working there are good people without evil intent. This new twist to the NextGen system is disturbing to me and definitely leaves me feeling less safe. Not saying I'm canceling all future trips or anything, but its just creepy. Sorry to keep using the same word over and over, but I can't think of a better way to express it.

3 solutions for you

Stay home and unplug your Internet connection and turn off all cell phones

Go to another theme park

Or last but not least...opt out of using it (and you may want to delete your Disney account and remove that smartphone app too)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wow that is a very incorrect statement in this day and age. Many times now security is the first thing thought of before design

Sorry, you are wrong, that is a VERY correct statement as evidenced by the news reports of security breaches almost every day in the news. I am in the IT industry and read articles on a regular basis about how companies still aren't developing secure software and systems. In most cases security is still and afterthought.

WDWDad13

Sorry, you are wrong, that is a VERY correct statement as evidenced by the news reports of security breaches almost every day in the news. I am in the IT industry and read articles on a regular basis about how companies still aren't developing secure software and systems. In most cases security is still and afterthought.

I'm in IT as well and there are Chinese hackers that do that for a living. There will always be people trying to find ways to hack systems and some will be successful, but that doesn't mean security is or was an afterthought

SJFPKT

There are a lot of things at Uni that makes Disney look sad. A lot of them don't even exist anymore and they were better then some Disney attractions. King Kong and Jaws comes to mind. But they, in my opinion, should never have taken out BTTF for the Simpsons. That ride S U C K S ! It is their own Imagination Pavilion.

Just so you know, we are older and remember BTTF anyone 23 and younger, not so much. My 5 year old said the Simpsons was one of his favorite rides. I agree it is no where near as cool as BTTF in my mind but it is still a good ride FWIW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So where is the problem even IF (and by the way all of this is speculation and not proven fact) joe bob serving you at be our guest knew you were going to Epcot tomorrow and eating at corral reef. Why would they care or waste their time?

To address your question of IF, my original post was a direct response to what @WDW1974 posted. Since he's a reliable poster who has first hand knowledge of how the system works I believe him. That doesn't mean the system wont change. Hopefully someone comes to their senses and restricts that info when this gets rolled out for real.

In answer to what the problem is, I have a right to my privacy. Put aside any of the issues with bad people and crimes. Those were just extreme examples of things that could go wrong. When I decide to take a Disney vacation and make reservations for rides, shows and meals I don't want random people who don't need the info potentially knowing my plans. When I check in, the person at the front desk will know how many nights I'm staying and how many are in my party, the ADR reservation people know my dining plans. They have a reason to know to do their job. Joe Bob just needs to know what I want for dinner tonight so he can serve me my food and bring me my check at the end. No need for him to know anything about me unless I choose to share it. That's the problem for me.

WDWDad13

To address your question of IF, my original post was a direct response to what @WDW1974 posted. Since he's a reliable poster who has first hand knowledge of how the system works I believe him. That doesn't mean the system wont change. Hopefully someone comes to their senses and restricts that info when this gets rolled out for real.

In answer to what the problem is, I have a right to my privacy. Put aside any of the issues with bad people and crimes. Those were just extreme examples of things that could go wrong. When I decide to take a Disney vacation and make reservations for rides, shows and meals I don't want random people who don't need the info potentially knowing my plans. When I check in, the person at the front desk will know how many nights I'm staying and how many are in my party, the ADR reservation people know my dining plans. They have a reason to know to do their job. Joe Bob just needs to know what I want for dinner tonight so he can serve me my food and bring me my check at the end. No need for him to know anything about me unless I choose to share it. That's the problem for me.

Use is optional

Problem solved

Funmeister

I'm in IT as well and there are Chinese hackers that do that for a living. There will always be people trying to find ways to hack systems and some will be successful, but that doesn't mean security is or was an afterthought

Flip flop, back and forth. NO one said that security is an afterthought because people are trying to find ways to hack. Disney does not have a very successful track record on keeping guests information safe. Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll....

WDWDad13

Flip flop, back and forth. NO one said that security is an afterthought because people are trying to find ways to hack. Disney does not have a very successful track record on keeping guests information safe. Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll....

You riding maelstrom while replying? lol jk

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I understand your reluctance, but I feel it is simple paranoia.

If Joe Bob is out to get you then he will get you without that knowledge.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
3 solutions for you

Stay home and unplug your Internet connection and turn off all cell phones

Go to another theme park

Or last but not least...opt out of using it (and you may want to delete your Disney account and remove that smartphone app too)
Use is optional

Problem solved

Too bad that's not entirely true.

Use is optional, but you get a lesser product if you opt out. If you opt out then you can't use FP+ so you are stuck in the standby lines. I wish they gave you the option to opt out of just this one aspect. It's all or nothing.

Goofyernmost

Just so you know, we are older and remember BTTF anyone 23 and younger, not so much. My 5 year old said the Simpsons was one of his favorite rides. I agree it is no where near as cool as BTTF in my mind but it is still a good ride FWIW.
I'm sure it is a good ride to some, but it is totally disjointed, has no real story. It jumps from situation to situation without any reason for the change. It is a series of slapstick scenes and unlike BTTF the buildup and feeling of story and quality do not exist. The walk to the ride vehicle reminds me of Ronald McDonald on steroids. Bright colors with no real sequence that has anything to do with anything.

Kids love the current Imagination ride as well, which only reinforces the thought..."what do kids know"! :joyfull:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand your reluctance, but I feel it is simple paranoia.

If Joe Bob is out to get you then he will get you without that knowledge.

It's not even about him being out to get me. I just don't like people I don't know having that much info about me. I don't even have a Facebook account. I spend my free time anonymously posting on a Disney message board;). I know that It's very unlikely that I will become a victim of any crime as the result of this, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom