Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People like to vacation during the holidays.... Industries serving that demo needs to be open. Nuff said

Plus you can shop the day after thanksgiving. Not a big inconvenience. People aren't going to want to travel to FL, return home for a day for the holiday then go back. It's impractical. Places where people have to travel long distances to get to need to adjust for that requirement.

Goofyernmost

It's a double standard, but yes they should keep WDW open on those holidays and close retail stores. I know its a double standard, but it's my opinion.
People like to vacation during the holidays.... Industries serving that demo needs to be open. Nuff said
Plus you can shop the day after thanksgiving. Not a big inconvenience. People aren't going to want to travel to FL, return home for a day for the holiday then go back. It's impractical. Places where people have to travel long distances to get to need to adjust for that requirement.
I agree with all of you, I just want people to stop saying that retail workers should be with their families as if they are some special breed that makes it shameful that they don't. Just like a Disney CM or a Universal TM, when hired, retail employees know that this is how the system works now and signed on anyway. Is it a shame, yea it is kinda, but that's life. Retail, like Disney is a business and they are there for profit. They take whatever means is necessary to insure that happens. They don't tell prospective employees that they will not have to work weekends or holidays. They, like Disney provide a service for a profit. One either has to accept that this is the way it is or morally have to include every human being in the scenario. People like to vacation during holidays? Sure, but do the have too? Or since we are talking retail here, how about if the parks are open and they close the stores? People can buy stuff the day before or the day after I would think. Apparently, people like to shop on holidays when they aren't working exactly the same as people that like vacationing on holidays. If they didn't get something out of it, they wouldn't go to either.

I understand that people cannot travel long distances back and forth so Disney can close up, but, that is no real consolation to the Disney employee that can't be with their families while they watch other people enjoy their holiday is it? It is, however, a requirement of the job. Most of us had to put up with a lot of crap when we started out, why is this different? What I am saying is that retail workers are no more entitled to be free of obligation than anyone else. Whether it is powered by greed or not, is totally irrelevant. To say that everyone can shop the day after Thanksgiving is making a giant assumption that everyone has the day off. I can assure you that just isn't true.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with all of you, I just want people to stop saying that retail workers should be with their families as if they are some special breed that makes it shameful that they don't. Just like a Disney CM or a Universal TM, when hired, retail employees know that this is how the system works now and signed on anyway. Is it a shame, yea it is kinda, but that's life. Retail, like Disney is a business and they are there for profit. They take whatever means is necessary to insure that happens. They don't tell prospective employees that they will not have to work weekends or holidays. They, like Disney provide a service for a profit. One either has to accept that this is the way it is or morally have to include every human being in the scenario. People like to vacation during holidays? Sure, but do the have too? Or since we are talking retail here, how about if the parks are open and they close the stores? People can buy stuff the day before or the day after I would think. Apparently, people like to shop on holidays when they aren't working exactly the same as people that like vacationing on holidays. If they didn't get something out of it, they wouldn't go to either.

I understand that people cannot travel long distances back and forth so Disney can close up, but, that is no real consolation to the Disney employee that can't be with their families while they watch other people enjoy their holiday is it? It is, however, a requirement of the job. Most of us had to put up with a lot of crap when we started out, why is this different? What I am saying is that retail workers are no more entitled to be free of obligation than anyone else. Whether it is powered by greed or not, is totally irrelevant. To say that everyone can shop the day after Thanksgiving is making a giant assumption that everyone has the day off. I can assure you that just isn't true.
You can shop before work or after work, on your lunch break, or on Saturday if you can't make it there on Friday, if you work Saturday too then shop on Sunday, if you are like me and wouldn't be caught dead out at midnight on Thanksgiving night you can shop online. If WDW closes for the day I have to sleep in my car since I'll be booted from my hotel.

Goofyernmost

@Goofyernmost - I don't think retail is the same as vacation destination. I don't need my kids out of school to buy a tv.... It's a lot harder to vacation away from holidays than it is to shop off holiday

We've made holidays into shopping destinations.... We could do without that.
As far as demand is concerned, it is exactly the same thing. If the parks were closed on those days, then people would just have to plan around it. Maybe stay in the resort for a day and resume the theme park part until the next day. Yes, we could do without that, but, why should we anymore then doing without a vacation destination that only a minor percentage of the population will be involved with at any given time?

Goofyernmost

You can shop before work or after work, on your lunch break, or on Saturday if you can't make it there on Friday, if you work Saturday too then shop on Sunday, if you are like me and wouldn't be caught dead out at midnight on Thanksgiving night you can shop online. If WDW closes for the day I have to sleep in my car since I'll be booted from my hotel.
No, shelters are a basic requirement that would fall under the heading of necessary for survival. Riding a theme park ride is not.

Look we can banter this back and forth forever. As you yourself said, it's a double standard. As long as there is a double standard then no logical argument can be made for it, in my opinion. So what do we do? We accept that this is the world we live in and understand that because of that there are many things that we wish were different but know that we cannot change. As a mass grouping, we can, but good luck getting that to happen. Until the public decides that they no longer want to shop on Thanksgiving or in the middle of the night the day after it will continue. Another thought...this 4th Thursday of November Thanksgiving thing is ours only. Canada had theirs in September or October, don't remember which now. Traveling people might need retail and we need the money.:)

lazyboy97o

I just wanted to toss into the conversation a point that there is a certain very popular nationwide chicken sandwich chain that closes on Sundays, and always has.

It hasn't seemed to halt their growth.
They'd grow even more if they offered burgers at more places. I had one today. It makes no sense but they are so good! Sorry for the tangent, just had to say that.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Feeling as strongly as you do, would you be willing to head up a petition to have Disney closed on Thanksgiving, From 6pm on Christmas Eve, all day Christmas, New Years, Easter and the 4th of July? These are all traditional family times, yet, CM's are deprived of spending it with their families for our entertainment. Can one say that Retail workers deserve to be with their families more then Disney CM's? Does the fact that they have done it since they started really mean anything? Does that make it any easier on Disney CM's? Are either Retail or Disney important enough to be considered necessities like say a Hospital worker or Policeman?

There is nothing wrong with your sentiment on this subject, but I'm not sure how it can be discriminatory for one non-essential business over another. Hotels?, yes! Food Service?, yes! Playing in a theme park? I'm thinking that one can live without it. The main problem with the retail aspect of it is that the ship has sailed. Unless all retail establishments come to an agreement not to open on days mentioned, it just cannot happen. Competition is too heavy and a few cannot afford to give million dollar edges to their competition.

Actually, I would. I'm of the same mentality of Knott's that their staff's time with their families is more valuable than any money they might make by being open that day.

I've never gone to any theme park, local park, or heck really anywhere on holidays besides family's homes and my own.

Everyone deserves a day off.

Goofyernmost

Actually, I would. I'm of the same mentality of Knott's that their staff's time with their families is more valuable than any money they might make by being open that day.

I've never gone to any theme park, local park, or heck really anywhere on holidays besides family's homes and my own.

Everyone deserves a day off.
Totally agree, but sadly not the world we live in. And you have to recognize many, many people out there cannot afford to lose a days pay and no law says that an employer has to pay for them to not be there.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Totally agree, but sadly not the world we live in. And you have to recognize many, many people out there cannot afford to lose a days pay and no law says that an employer has to pay for them to not be there.

Very true on both points.

However that doesn't stop me from wishing we lived in that world.

:)

Figments Friend

Moving along. I just watched the little mermaid and am now watching Brave.

I'm still trying to decide what I think of this movie. TLM was an instant hit with me but there's something about brave that I just don't like and can't figure out what it is.

I do love the animation, though.

(Hey, at least my off topic post is disney related this time)

You are not alone.
I saw 'Brave' by chance with friends who were interested in seeing it.
I found the look of the film very nice, and the music wonderful...but little else held my attention.
Came across as a 'chick flick' in a sense...all that Mom/Daughter drama and plot twists.

I do appreciate the Merida character, but little else in the film really came across as overly memorable.
It was a 'see once, and you are done' kind of film.

The Little Mermaid i could watch over and over, but i lean more towards Trad Animation anyway.
There is some marvelous character animation here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom