Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
More Spirited Weekend Musings:

Do you realize there are really people out there who will pay to see a game between the Jags and Titans? Right @Lee?

Saw Planes on my recent MAGICal cruise and found it to be decent, but much like Cars 2, it exists to sell toys/merchandise. Not a great reason, or even a good one, to make a motion picture.

I know it's dumb but the Neighbors is still funny and the writing keeps getting sharper.

So, while looking for something this weekend I found something out in the garage that I had misplaced (no, not a chained up fanboi but good guess!). 1999-2000 era WDW, DL and DLP ephemera.

Interesting to see that on 12/24, all parks closed at 9, except for DAK (7 p.m.). Also interesting that MVMCP didn't start until Dec. 2nd. It ran from 8-1 a.m. (so hard closes at 7, followed by folks coming in for the party AFTER clearing). Tickets were $29.95 ($10 less for kids). You also had TWO extra stage shows and a family photo included in that price.

Also interesting that for the Millennium (or faux) that DAK was open from 7 a.m. Until midnight. I was at EPCOT that night, but I'd love to know someone who actually chose that park for ushering in the nightmarish 21st century.

Don't even want to talk about all the entertainment that DLP had in Y2K versus today. Very sad state of affairs

Nemo14

We were out in a very small town north of Boston last night and were just peeking in a few shop window on the walk over to the concert we were attending. We overheard one man's comment about how refreshing it was that there were no Christmas decorations yet. I thought of you, '74.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yet More Spirited Weekend Musings:

I sadly believe there are more folks who will be doing Christmas shopping or seeing Thor 2 tomorrow, than even thinking about what the day really means for 10 minutes.

Is there any Marvel merchandise for sale in WDW parks?

A little birdie told me that @lentesta was also on my cruise. Shame I didn't know that as I'd have enjoyed a meet and greet.

Walking Dead won't be a great show to me until they address the question of what happens after zombies eat your mother in law.

So, apparently Ricky B enjoyed his free Dream and Fantasy cruises more than his MAGIC cruise.

I am hearing that Disney has a few tenants signed up for their redeveloped mall, but they can't be very exciting because you'd have heard about them by now.

I am hearing about poor workmanship on the GFV. Does anyone find that surprising at all?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

This is the kind of amazingly flawed thinking that has kept WDW so incredibly stale. Of course people stay til close for ROE - it's the only nighttime spectacular in the park, and it is pretty spectacular (except for the huge chunk in the middle of the show where nothing is happening other than indistinguishable images flashing across the woefully outdated screen globe).

A new show, especially a better one, would undoubtedly have the same effect on guests - in fact, it would have a bigger impact for a couple years as people work plans to see it for the first time into their trips. I never watch ROE anymore - I'm over it and out of Epcot by 8:30 to avoid the stampede.

Incompetence knows no bounds.
until the CEO of WDW wants to make the "avoid the people stampede" a new ride with zero cost for them.. XD

WDW1974

Original Poster
We were out in a very small town north of Boston last night and were just peeking in a few shop window on the walk over to the concert we were attending. We overheard one man's comment about how refreshing it was that there were no Christmas decorations yet. I thought of you, '74.

What town?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh, it was, trust me. Once I got on things they sent a private install company over the next morning to do it. I also had the guy put an outlet in every room for no reason at all considering we only own one tv.

Funny I had them do just the opposite, When I cancelled them about 15 years ago I had them pull every INCH of cable and remove the drop from the house all the way back to the pole. This was after a year of they could not keep the cable up for more that 3 days running. It probably cost them about $2000 to discontinue my service after it was all said and done.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, shelters are a basic requirement that would fall under the heading of necessary for survival. Riding a theme park ride is not.

Look we can banter this back and forth forever. As you yourself said, it's a double standard. As long as there is a double standard then no logical argument can be made for it, in my opinion. So what do we do? We accept that this is the world we live in and understand that because of that there are many things that we wish were different but know that we cannot change. As a mass grouping, we can, but good luck getting that to happen. Until the public decides that they no longer want to shop on Thanksgiving or in the middle of the night the day after it will continue. Another thought...this 4th Thursday of November Thanksgiving thing is ours only. Canada had theirs in September or October, don't remember which now. Traveling people might need retail and we need the money.:)

Trouble is by ACCEPTING this kind of c--p you pave the way for MORE of it and more abusive behavior by Big Business. A line needs to be drawn and fought over otherwise Big Business will think that bringing back 'Indentured Servants' and Serfdom is a good and profitable idea,

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not with Mickey this time, tho. Little nervous. I know its important to see what the competition is like so I'm trying to keep an open mind. Few snafus during the pre-planning thus far. Even with the $$ already spent on specialty dining and soda (other cruise lines make you prepay stuff) we're still on-point with the cost of Mickey. Well, except we're in 2 rooms vs. 1 and on a holiday sailing vs. a non-holiday. We'll see. Definitely plan to do a full contrast write up when we return.

We have a few booked next year but looking like we may change a few things. All depends on the wrap-up of the old man's project. Originally he was supposed to finish early fall this year. Got pushed to end of year. Now it's looking like later spring which could present some serious issues to the travel plans. :D

I have had good to great experiences on every cruise line I have been on with the exception of Celebrity, so as long as you can get over the lack of Disney MAGIC and Pixie Dust, you should be fine.

I love DCL and make no bones about it. But I also think it isn't worth the premium it commands MOST of the time.

My Disney-loving pals @Lee and @Buried20KLeague (who I owe an email) have done DCL and would rather cruise with others.

I have taken 14-night transatlantic cruises for what some people pay for four nights on the Disney Dream. That is crazy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It seemed kinda odd that they shot down the question outright. Usually if the answer is really no, you hedge that with something like "we are always looking for new opportunities to expand, but nothing is currently in the works". By emphatically denying even considering it makes me think they may be trying to hide something for strategic purposes. They gushed over the success of GFV so I'm sure more DVC is coming.

Like most corps today, Disney lies. Often.

Standard business practice. And, yes, they teach their front-lime CMs to do so as well.

I don't pretend to know the endgame of where they see DCL in five years or 10, but it will be larger and have a greater footprint around the globe.

Cesar R M

Trouble is by ACCEPTING this kind of c--p you pave the way for MORE of it and more abusive behavior by Big Business. A line needs to be drawn and fought over otherwise Big Business will think that bringing back 'Indentured Servants' and Serfdom is a good and profitable idea,
Big business nowadays (aka ultra corporations) are not very different to feudal lords during the dark ages.
they have big swaying power (look at the military companies, banks.etc..), they sometimes can pressure in both assassinations, economic pressure (lobbying or crashing the economy on purpose to make a point) . or just look at samsung in south korea.. (I heard everything is samsung there!)

So I am no surprise if they want to go back to that, or back to before/during the initial industrial revolution.
where everyone had slave like working hours, paid a inane salary and had no rights.. (and if you got hurt during the work times the could just kick you out)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Would anyone be interested in discussing Thor 2? I saw it last night and have some thoughts on it. As well as the future of Marvel's tentpoles and whether or not Disney will start interfering in the future not unlike what has happened with Pixar seem like other topics worth discussing. We need to get an obligatory Iger-Netflix on an iPhone swipe in today.

Go right ahead. I have no plans to see it and will likely catch it on some future cruise.

As to the latter, I think it is true to his beliefs on the future of the industry. The man truly longs for a day when he can release a Marvel film both in theaters and other platforms at the same time as well because sane people really want to watch a new release on a tiny screen.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Also interesting that for the Millennium (or faux) that DAK was open from 7 a.m. Until midnight. I was at EPCOT that night, but I'd love to know someone who actually chose that park for ushering in the nightmarish 21st century.

Don't even want to talk about all the entertainment that DLP had in Y2K versus today. Very sad state of affairs

I was with you! For all of us smooshed into Epcot that night it was the place to be and we planned that and our resort so much in advance. Never have I ever had reservations booked so far out, not even close.

I cannot imagine any Disney fan going to AK for the Millenium. Epcot seemed to be the no-brainer, got there early with everyone else. Felt we HAD to stay, bring in the new century and see how the Y2K played out.
I've been in the overwhelming MK on NYE, won't do that anymore, but nothing prepared me for Epcot that NYE with a DH, 13 & 8 year old in tow. One strange day.

Zweiland

Yep. That's why this thread gets so many hits. Obviously nothing to talk about here ...
Well, there is a lot to talk about here. But most of it is O/T.

Personally, I love the thread and am glad the mods have kept it in N&R... Even though it does get rather heated sometimes.

Thank you Mr. Spirit for all you do to give us the information you can. Just letting you know I'm not in your group of "haters".

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
This has been speculated for some time now. I think even 74 mentioned it as a potential spot for the next DVC after Poly. The idea was to relocate a few backstage buildings and build a DVC resort that blends in.

I could see this being done since DVC is a big money maker and they need to top the last 3 which were all built/being built on the MK monorail loop. What is the only way to top DVC rooms with direct access to the monorail? Build one that has direct access into a park. I could see it potentially even stretching behind 2 or 3 pavilions with different "wings" themed to the pavilion they are behind. There seems to be a some backstage buildings and parking behind Mexico, Norway and China. I would have no issue with it as long as it's themed properly and doesn't impact site lines within EPCOT. I would definitely stay there too.

There are two DVC concepts for EPCOT that have been floated. One in the parking lot at the entrance. One incorporating a handful of WS pavilions. They will never do the latter because of cost, but the former I can see happening.

Besides, it isn't like they are actually maintaining the parking lot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom