Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clever Name

I am of the opinion that all of WDW should operate 24/7/365. The parks should never close. I think this would go a long way to help alleviate the crowd crunch and the long standby times for the E tickets. Many of the most exciting animals at DAK are nocturnal so 4 AM would rock.

PeterAlt

?? I can't figure out your "f" word, and I'm usually very good with word games.
More hints, please.
The word it rhymes with actually contains the word within it.

Hint:

At Nathan's, you can order an all-beef frank****** with mustard and sauerkraut on a bun.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Moving along. I just watched the little mermaid and am now watching Brave.

I'm still trying to decide what I think of this movie. TLM was an instant hit with me but there's something about brave that I just don't like and can't figure out what it is.

I do love the animation, though.

(Hey, at least my off topic post is disney related this time)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll ask this again. I asked this a couple if weeks ago and the mods deleted it for reasons that elude me...

How would everyone feel if Disney built hotels in World Showcase, behind the pavilions. The hotels would be internationally themed. For example a Chinese themed hotel in back of and connected to the China pavilion and special guest access to the park. These hotels would be like how the Grand Californian is at DCA.

This has been speculated for some time now. I think even 74 mentioned it as a potential spot for the next DVC after Poly. The idea was to relocate a few backstage buildings and build a DVC resort that blends in.

I could see this being done since DVC is a big money maker and they need to top the last 3 which were all built/being built on the MK monorail loop. What is the only way to top DVC rooms with direct access to the monorail? Build one that has direct access into a park. I could see it potentially even stretching behind 2 or 3 pavilions with different "wings" themed to the pavilion they are behind. There seems to be a some backstage buildings and parking behind Mexico, Norway and China. I would have no issue with it as long as it's themed properly and doesn't impact site lines within EPCOT. I would definitely stay there too.

Soarin' Over Pgh

This has been speculated for some time now. I think even 74 mentioned it as a potential spot for the next DVC after Poly. The idea was to relocate a few backstage buildings and build a DVC resort that blends in.

I could see this being done since DVC is a big money maker and they need to top the last 3 which were all built/being built on the MK monorail loop. What is the only way to top DVC rooms with direct access to the monorail? Build one that has direct access into a park. I could see it potentially even stretching behind 2 or 3 pavilions with different "wings" themed to the pavilion they are behind. There seems to be a some backstage buildings and parking behind Mexico, Norway and China. I would have no issue with it as long as it's themed properly and doesn't impact site lines within EPCOT. I would definitely stay there too.

Sure. Why not. It's almost as if they think "well we can't screw up Epcot any worse than it already is" and it's kinda become a contest to try.

So sure, throw hotels in. And lots of DVC kiosks. Add permanent beer pong tables and a trough for folks to puke into.

Oh, and raise the admission because it's apparently still affordable for too many people.

I figured out my issue with brave. It's trying too hard to be funny and slick.

EpcoTim

I always had problems with them. Now, that I have U-Verse, never any problems. My sister and mom have Comcast and they always call me with problems (because I'm the techie in my family), so I always have to call Comcast for them if I find there's a problem on their end. Try getting credits for service you paid for and were unable to get because there's a problem on their side and not only will you probably not get it but its a process one can easily get gray hairs from, while they should offer you credit immediately and apologize for it.

Comcast is complete garbage. They somehow managed to get a contract with the town my friend lives in. You can get Satellite, but no other cable or internet companies are in her town. They exploit the heck out of it too. The cable and internet packages are a minimum of 20 dollars more per month than they are in the next town over. On top of that they routinely, sometimes weekly change what channels you get in each package. One week you have Food network and The History channel, the next week you don't. Then you get an email saying you can get those channels back if you jump up to their 129.99 monthly package. Then a month later the channels are back even though you never upgraded. Its insane. Their "tech" guy came to her house and decided to cut all the RG-6 in the attic because he didn't know what it was for. He didn't even need to touch anything, all he had to do was drop off the boxes and leave. Instead he cuts all the lines that Comcast had installed about a month prior and then Comcast has the nerve to try and charge 1600 dollars for a re-wire. I'm amazed that some of these companies can stay in business, its mind boggling.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Comcast is complete garbage. ... . He didn't even need to touch anything, all he had to do was drop off the boxes and leave. Instead he cuts all the lines that Comcast had installed about a month prior and then Comcast has the nerve to try and charge 1600 dollars for a re-wire. I'm amazed that some of these companies can stay in business, its mind boggling.
Sounds like they need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau and possibly your District Attorney. That is completely unethical and illegal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure. Why not. It's almost as if they think "well we can't screw up Epcot any worse than it already is" and it's kinda become a contest to try.

So sure, throw hotels in. And lots of DVC kiosks. Add permanent beer pong tables and a trough for folks to puke into.

Oh, and raise the admission because it's apparently still affordable for too many people.

I figured out my issue with brave. It's trying too hard to be funny and slick.
While I agree that EPCOT is a bit of a mess right now, I do think they could do this without a major impact to the park. If there are several buildings rising behind the pavilions that are well themed and they blend well it could actually add to the environment. I'm not picturing BLT sitting behind the Mexican pavilion. That would be unfortunate and look tacky. If they invest in a new resort attached to EPCOT maybe they will spend a little cash on sprucing the place up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Comcast is complete garbage. They somehow managed to get a contract with the town my friend lives in. You can get Satellite, but no other cable or internet companies are in her town. They exploit the heck out of it too. The cable and internet packages are a minimum of 20 dollars more per month than they are in the next town over. On top of that they routinely, sometimes weekly change what channels you get in each package. One week you have Food network and The History channel, the next week you don't. Then you get an email saying you can get those channels back if you jump up to their 129.99 monthly package. Then a month later the channels are back even though you never upgraded. Its insane. Their "tech" guy came to her house and decided to cut all the RG-6 in the attic because he didn't know what it was for. He didn't even need to touch anything, all he had to do was drop off the boxes and leave. Instead he cuts all the lines that Comcast had installed about a month prior and then Comcast has the nerve to try and charge 1600 dollars for a re-wire. I'm amazed that some of these companies can stay in business, its mind boggling.
If it's anything like where I live the wiring and installation is all subcontracted out. The guys doing that don't work for Comcast. You can get good and bad contractors. I had a couple guys that came for the day and re-wired my whole house when I first moved in because I was having trouble with HD channels. The wiring had too many splits so they ran a bunch of new lines. They did really nice work. Comcast tried to charge me for it. I called and complained and they told me that basic installation is free but custom wiring is paid for by the customer. I complained and got transferred to a few different people then got someone who took the charges off my bill. Happy ending.

I have a friend who was getting wires run in his unfinished attic and the contractor fell through his ceiling leaving a big old hole. The guy was also a sub-contractor but he asked my friend if he could bring someone in to fix it himself since if it was reported to Comcast they wouldn't throw him any more business. My friend agreed and the contractor brought in a guy who fixed the hole and re-painted. He got a freshly painted living room ceiling and a good story to tell.

EpcoTim

If it's anything like where I live the wiring and installation is all subcontracted out. The guys doing that don't work for Comcast. You can get good and bad contractors. I had a couple guys that came for the day and re-wired my whole house when I first moved in because I was having trouble with HD channels. The wiring had too many splits so they ran a bunch of new lines. They did really nice work. Comcast tried to charge me for it. I called and complained and they told me that basic installation is free but custom wiring is paid for by the customer. I complained and got transferred to a few different people then got someone who took the charges off my bill. Happy ending.

I have a friend who was getting wires run in his unfinished attic and the contractor fell through his ceiling leaving a big old hole. The guy was also a sub-contractor but he asked my friend if he could bring someone in to fix it himself since if it was reported to Comcast they wouldn't throw him any more business. My friend agreed and the contractor brought in a guy who fixed the hole and re-painted. He got a freshly painted living room ceiling and a good story to tell.

Around here for basic installs we get Comcast guys in Comcast vans who get Comcast paychecks. For bigger or more complex jobs you get local subs. But for an initial install your going to get some kid from Comcast whos going to spend twenty minutes in your kitchen trying to figure out how to get the battery in his drill, then when he does its going to torque his wrist and fly onto your hardwood floor leaving a wonderful gouge, all because he was holding the trigger on max when he finally figured the battery issue out.

Oh, and you'll probably also have to explain thats its not ok to just run the outlet to the linen closest cause its quicker than going all the way to the living room.

willtravel

I understand DVC is a money maker but an empty room is not. I guess maybe I am looking at it wrong. Once they sell a timeshare at WDW, it can sit empty? They got there money? And maintanence fee's.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand DVC is a money maker but an empty room is not. I guess maybe I am looking at it wrong. Once they sell a timeshare at WDW, it can sit empty? They got there money? And maintanence fee's.
They make a huge profit from the initial sale and the fees cover future operating costs. High return, low risk investment for TWDC. The only downside for WDW is that DVC will canabalize future deluxe hotel stays. DVC rooms at WDW generally run at near 100% occupancy so those rooms won't go empty and nobody staying in a DVC room is getting a free dining plan so they are making money from meals even if you end up eating some in the room. The biggest challenge right now is keeping DVC people from using their rooms as a base to visit Universal. They attempted to fight that by offering discounted premium APs last year. Lots of owners bought them. No word of that offer being rolled out again this year.

Goofyernmost

Will not, will not everrrrrr do "Black Friday" shopping. I do not believe that retail store employees should be pulled away from their families on thanksgiving day nor in the godawful early morning hours just so jimmy and jan can buy some plastic made in China crap for one dollar cheaper than they could any other time of the year. Call me old school (at 29 no less) but I believe in family.

Feeling as strongly as you do, would you be willing to head up a petition to have Disney closed on Thanksgiving, From 6pm on Christmas Eve, all day Christmas, New Years, Easter and the 4th of July? These are all traditional family times, yet, CM's are deprived of spending it with their families for our entertainment. Can one say that Retail workers deserve to be with their families more then Disney CM's? Does the fact that they have done it since they started really mean anything? Does that make it any easier on Disney CM's? Are either Retail or Disney important enough to be considered necessities like say a Hospital worker or Policeman?

There is nothing wrong with your sentiment on this subject, but I'm not sure how it can be discriminatory for one non-essential business over another. Hotels?, yes! Food Service?, yes! Playing in a theme park? I'm thinking that one can live without it. The main problem with the retail aspect of it is that the ship has sailed. Unless all retail establishments come to an agreement not to open on days mentioned, it just cannot happen. Competition is too heavy and a few cannot afford to give million dollar edges to their competition.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

I not only worked in retail for over four years after I was layed off from my architectural job in Jan. '09, I worked at our local Disney Store (along with as many as two other retail jobs to make ends meet- even as a Lead Manager at TDS for a year) for over four years. Before that I had never worked retail in my life. Always in architecture. Yes, I was even hired by a local firm 3 mos. before I graduated HS to ink brochures at the office in the evenings.
No matter how you paint it, retail *****. And yes, even with Disney. Even worse, actually...
"We know we're not payin' you squat, but we also want you to give us more 'cause ya' know it's Disney! Com'on!
And, oh, btw, here's MORE stupid we want you to do to save our idiotic suit jobs."
Not disgruntled, I left of my own accord. I'm also back at my old archi. designer job even in my same old office makin' WAY more $$$ and finally feelin' fine.
I did what I had to do at the time, and now know I can do anything I need to to take care of my family...yes, even retail, if I had to.
Also, not to be missed, I had some really Magical moments at TDS over those four years. But, ultimately, it's retail. It *****. At the very least, leave it to mold the young.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Feeling as strongly as you do, would you be willing to head up a petition to have Disney closed on Thanksgiving, From 6pm on Christmas Eve, all day Christmas, New Years, Easter and the 4th of July? These are all traditional family times, yet, CM's are deprived of spending it with their families for our entertainment. Can one say that Retail workers deserve to be with their families more then Disney CM's? Does the fact that they have done it since they started really mean anything? Does that make it any easier on Disney CM's? Are either Retail or Disney important enough to be considered necessities like say a Hospital worker or Policeman?

There is nothing wrong with your sentiment on this subject, but I'm not sure how it can be discriminatory for one non-essential business over another. Hotels?, yes! Food Service?, yes! Playing in a theme park? I'm thinking that one can live without it. The main problem with the retail aspect of it is that the ship has sailed. Unless all retail establishments come to an agreement not to open on days mentioned, it just cannot happen. Competition is too heavy and a few cannot afford to give million dollar edges to their competition.
It's a double standard, but yes they should keep WDW open on those holidays and close retail stores. I know its a double standard, but it's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom