Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

khale1970

Based on NGE and MM- overruns and the Healthcare.gov debacle, I'm starting to think TWDC is actually running the US government (or perhaps the other way around, like GM). Development of Healthcare.gov was bid out at around $93M and so far has cost around $634M. Whether you think the ACA is a good idea or not, the roll out of Healthcare.gov doesn't really work. Whether you think NGE and MM- is a good idea or not, the roll out so far indicates it doesn't really work. The common link is the massive cost overruns for a non functioning product. Maybe TWDC and the USG should go in together and hire some high school hackers to write their code...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/obamacare-healthcare-gov-website-cost/

Atomicmickey

Based on NGE and MM- overruns and the Healthcare.gov debacle, I'm starting to think TWDC is actually running the US government (or perhaps the other way around, like GM). Development of Healthcare.gov was bid out at around $93M and so far has cost around $634M. Whether you think the ACA is a good idea or not, the roll out of Healthcare.gov doesn't really work. Whether you think NGE and MM- is a good idea or not, the roll out so far indicates it doesn't really work. The common link is the massive cost overruns for a non functioning product. Maybe TWDC and the USG should go in together and hire some high school hackers to write their code...

But what we really want to know is, what do you think of urine-spewing hand dryers? That's what we are talking about here, and that's what's important!

khale1970

But what we really want to know is, what do you think of urine-spewing hand dryers? That's what we are talking about here, and that's what's important!

I disapprove of urine spewing in virtually any scenario, but if the hand dryers are super cool and expensive I might make an exception...

PhotoDave219

To the MAGICal member here who emailed about a pair of lifestylers having the new assistance pass, who are you talking about?
(feel free to email if you do not want this out)

I believe one or two of the bloggers for several sites were testing out how it works today. Not defending them but someone has to be the guinea pig to see how this thing works because god forbid a multi-billion dollar media empire have effective communication with their guests.

Seeing how its only good for 2 weeks, I wouldn't fret. Now if they renew it, then there's an issue.

PhotoDave219

Ya know what I'd like to hear about--why is ALL OF THIS taking so long?
Just wondering. We have speculation all over the board. Why is Mine Train
being seemingly constructed by a guy from Craigslist and his neighbor? Why
no Avatarland? Why the wiffle waffle on Carsland/Star Wars land?

Is it specifically money? Managerial infighting/peeing on fire hydrants?
Iger? Magic bands the sole culprit?

Just wondering how Disney got itself into this death spiral of nothing-building-ness.
(if you don't count parking ramps, that is)

This entire company runs on profit margins and the budgetary cycle. Its taking so long because it has to be committed to death and we have to get someone else to pay for it or stretch it out over several fiscal years.

Such is the corporate ways of the empire....

TP2000

Maybe you could convince @TP2000 - he has had a hard time giving up the fact that Miceage articles aren't Al anymore :)

I get that Al retired, or is taking some time off, or is washing his hair. But I'm a man who is quite happy to still think that Colonel Sanders is actively in charge of Kentucky Fried Chicken's daily operation. Similarly, it will take a few years for me to stop calling the famous Miceage updates an "Al Lutz Update".

The good news is that I've been eating the Colonel's chicken for decades longer than I've been reading Al Lutz's updates and juicy gossip. Early 1970's for the former, and around 1998 for the latter. So the learning process will be faster for Mr. Lutz that it has been for the Colonel.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Two exits up, maybe 10 - 20 minutes, depending where in WDW you are.

I haven't heard any leaked figures, but critical reaction to the ride has been horrible. The fact they have cut 1-day weekday passes down to $50 (almost a 50% cut) suggests it wasn't the game-changer they promised.
It was constantly pulling 30-45 minute+ lines last month, though perhaps due to capacity and newness as much as anything else. Its cute, its a nice intro to the exhibit area, but it's not an E. Despite the ride system. It is however another nice addition to the park.

alphac2005

As Walt Said, 'keep them moving', and not just moving, but in every kind of transport imaginable. Sadly, like DL, the MK too has lost the exhilarating ability to ride transport from undersea to outer space, which so grappled my imagination when I was young.

The lack of imagination and the excitement of the future is something that has grappled American society as a whole, not just Disney. It's sad.

bhg469

I believe one or two of the bloggers for several sites were testing out how it works today. Not defending them but someone has to be the guinea pig to see how this thing works because god forbid a multi-billion dollar media empire have effective communication with their guests.

Seeing how its only good for 2 weeks, I wouldn't fret. Now if they renew it, then there's an issue.
I would like to read about their experience. I don't use the system but I would like to see if all this negative attention is for a reason.

KevinYee

A little-known fact: some of the updates and blogs you associate with Kevin Yee are actually written by "the team" consisting of yours truly, Flynn, Lazyboy, and Jt04. Kevin has not written about Disney since he found a paying day job. (= at the comix bookstore)

AWESOME!!! hahahaha

(what's really going to bake your noodle later is when you realize the team could be writing back and forth to itself, with half of them pretending to be this Kevin person)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Why are you surprised the SAME contractors and sub-contractors developed both systems...

71jason

It was constantly pulling 30-45 minute+ lines last month, though perhaps due to capacity and newness as much as anything else. Its cute, its a nice intro to the exhibit area, but it's not an E. Despite the ride system. It is however another nice addition to the park.

As I recall, Turtle Trek pulled longer lines than that, and I still heard reports of attendance slumps after it opened. I couldn't be bothered to ride it before my pass expired so I can't judge it first-hand, but even team members who defend Turtle Trek think it was ridiculously overhyped.

As long as SW has Aquatica and Discovery Cove I think they'll be fine, but I do kind of wish someone would "Comcast" their main park one of these days. So much wasted potential.

Stevek

Reading through this thread, hearing the challenges that people are facing with FP+, MM+, etc has brought me to a disappointing conclusion. We will not be making the trek from So Cal to WDW next year (or anytime in the next few years) and instead will find other destinations to visit.

The thing we loved about our first trip on 2006 was the ability to do what we wanted, when we wanted. Complete spontinaety including rides, shows and dining.

In 2010, although we had a great trip, the dining reservation process made eating where we wanted far more challenging. If we wanted a specific restaurant, we were forced to eat at times that weren't always great for a family with younger kids. And we ended up having to eat at places we really didn't want (thanks DD plan).

Now we would be faced with not only planning our dining but also planning exactly what times we want to ride certain rides, well in advance of our visit...assuming we want to take advantage of FP+. Not to mention longer lines in general from what I'm reading. All of this pre-planning really takes the fun out of what we want from a vacation. I want to be able to get there and do what we want to do, not what Disney has made us schedule in advance. I want to be able to eat where I want to eat, not places I'm forced to eat because I couldn't reserve 10 years in advance.

And that my friends, is why we'll be sitting on a beach in Maui enjoying a few Pacifico's instead of strapping on our magic band and scarfing down our lunch so we can make our FP time for Space Mountain. It is really a bummer because next year would have likely been the last year we would go as a family...my girls are getting to that age where if we wait much later, it really won't be cool for a 16 year old to be hanging at WDW with her parents. We will make new memories, outside the Disney kingdom. Something we should have started doing years ago.

janoimagine

Complete spontinaety including rides, shows and dining.
This has been my issue with all of this from DAY 1 ...
Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, and Mr. Bob Iger ... not everyone plans their vacations with spreadsheets and excell doc's, some of us love winging it, waking up in the morning without a care in the world and doing what we want, when we want to, at whatever park we feel like going to that day ... your billion dollar data mining project has all but ruined that experience. At least we still have the cruise line ... so please don't f' that up for us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom