Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairstow

Reading through this thread, hearing the challenges that people are facing with FP+, MM+, etc has brought me to a disappointing conclusion. We will not be making the trek from So Cal to WDW next year (or anytime in the next few years) and instead will find other destinations to visit.

The thing we loved about our first trip on 2006 was the ability to do what we wanted, when we wanted. Complete spontinaety including rides, shows and dining.

In 2010, although we had a great trip, the dining reservation process made eating where we wanted far more challenging. If we wanted a specific restaurant, we were forced to eat at times that weren't always great for a family with younger kids. And we ended up having to eat at places we really didn't want (thanks DD plan).

Now we would be faced with not only planning our dining but also planning exactly what times we want to ride certain rides, well in advance of our visit...assuming we want to take advantage of FP+. Not to mention longer lines in general from what I'm reading. All of this pre-planning really takes the fun out of what we want from a vacation. I want to be able to get there and do what we want to do, not what Disney has made us schedule in advance. I want to be able to eat where I want to eat, not places I'm forced to eat because I couldn't reserve 10 years in advance.

And that my friends, is why we'll be sitting on a beach in Maui enjoying a few Pacifico's instead of strapping on our magic band and scarfing down our lunch so we can make our FP time for Space Mountain. It is really a bummer because next year would have likely been the last year we would go as a family...my girls are getting to that age where if we wait much later, it really won't be cool for a 16 year old to be hanging at WDW with her parents. We will make new memories, outside the Disney kingdom. Something we should have started doing years ago.

Suit yourself, but I used to knock FastPassPlus too.
Until I tried it.

One thing everyone forgets is that Disney doesn't force you to make dining reservations or take advantage of the fastpass system.
There's still standby queues for everything, and no one's going to stop you from waiting.

The dining plan is optional too. It never seemed like a good deal to me so I've never used it.

However, if eating at all the most popular restaurants is a must-do for you, and you don't want to have to make reservations to eat, I suppose that could be a deal breaker.

stevehousse

Reading through this thread, hearing the challenges that people are facing with FP+, MM+, etc has brought me to a disappointing conclusion. We will not be making the trek from So Cal to WDW next year (or anytime in the next few years) and instead will find other destinations to visit.

The thing we loved about our first trip on 2006 was the ability to do what we wanted, when we wanted. Complete spontinaety including rides, shows and dining.

In 2010, although we had a great trip, the dining reservation process made eating where we wanted far more challenging. If we wanted a specific restaurant, we were forced to eat at times that weren't always great for a family with younger kids. And we ended up having to eat at places we really didn't want (thanks DD plan).

Now we would be faced with not only planning our dining but also planning exactly what times we want to ride certain rides, well in advance of our visit...assuming we want to take advantage of FP+. Not to mention longer lines in general from what I'm reading. All of this pre-planning really takes the fun out of what we want from a vacation. I want to be able to get there and do what we want to do, not what Disney has made us schedule in advance. I want to be able to eat where I want to eat, not places I'm forced to eat because I couldn't reserve 10 years in advance.

And that my friends, is why we'll be sitting on a beach in Maui enjoying a few Pacifico's instead of strapping on our magic band and scarfing down our lunch so we can make our FP time for Space Mountain. It is really a bummer because next year would have likely been the last year we would go as a family...my girls are getting to that age where if we wait much later, it really won't be cool for a 16 year old to be hanging at WDW with her parents. We will make new memories, outside the Disney kingdom. Something we should have started doing years ago.

You do know you can always just pick the 3 rides wih the usual longest waits and once u r in the park, change the time boy want to ride based on how tour day is going...I think a lot of people forget that about the new system! You can still be spontaneous and choose what u want to do or change times...

Nemo14

So, has anyone ordered their copy of this yet? I hear it makes a great Christmas gift.

book.jpg

ABQ

Until I tried it.

One thing everyone forgets is that Disney doesn't force you to make dining reservations or take advantage of the fastpass system.
There's still standby queues for everything, and no one's going to stop you from waiting.

The dining plan is optional too. It never seemed like a good deal to me so I've never used it.

However, if eating at all the most popular restaurants is a must-do for you, and you don't want to have to make reservations to eat, I suppose that could be a deal breaker.
I agree with you. And though I have bought into the DDP, that was mostly due to weighing the pros and cons of dealing with reconciling my credit card receipts after my trip. Sure, I don't think the dining plan is ALWAYS worth it and the friends and family I travel with rarely, if ever, all get a appetizer, entree and desert, as it's just way too much food, it still just makes it easier. ADR's or choosing on the fly has still be possible. As I've not used FP+ yet, and don't know if I will be part of the roll out/ test (have a week in WDW coming up this December and haven't been able to choose any FP+ options online to date) I'm going to wait to pass judgement. Still, the existing FP system never rubbed me wrong, lines are still crazy at some attractions, but I still get on and I don't do the whole rush to the FP kiosk at rope drop. I've been to WDW every year for the past decade plus many times before that and can't see how these changes are so atrocious as some have voiced, but oh well. I'll stop going if it's that bad and continue if it's not.

BrianLo

Tom Staggs on Iron Man in HKDL (whether it is just an upgraded version of Star Tours)

We will use an advanced motion simulation ride system, but this attraction will be unlike anything you’ve seen before. Just as Space Mountain is clearly different than Grizzly Gulch, the Iron Man experience will be unique and different from everything else at not only Hong Kong Disneyland, but different from anything anywhere.

Jeffxz

Until I tried it.

You do know you can always just pick the 3 rides wih the usual longest waits and once u r in the park, change the time boy want to ride based on how tour day is going...I think a lot of people forget that about the new system! You can still be spontaneous and choose what u want to do or change times...

I have tested FP+ and I agree with this. I think FP+ is great right now because you can make changes on the fly to the times you want based on how your day is going (plus double dipping normal FP). I have made at least 10 changes in the past 2 weeks to my FP+ reservations for an upcoming trip.

But remember, this is limited testing right now. I have serious doubts that this will continue to be the case once it is available to all guests. My bet would be if you get a FP+ for the high demand rides after the full rollout, changing the time isn't likely to be available so you will be stuck with either waiting in standby or following plans for what you thought you were going to do 2 months ago.

djlaosc

For those who are talking about the new TV Season and S.H.I.E.L.D, it has just received its back 9...

So, at the moment...

RENEWED FOR SEASON 2:
Sleepy Hollow

RECEIVED A BACK 9 (22 EPISODES):
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The Blacklist

CANCELLED:
Lucky 7 (replaced by Scandal repeats)
We Are Men (2 Broke Girls moves forward 30 minutes, Mike & Molly starts in November)

djlaosc

Soooooooo.....

You heard that they had a bus catch fire within the past week, right? No guests on board but it was one of the older RTS buses that are nearing the end of their service lives....

I still remember seeing the aftermath of a bus fire at the Pop Century Magic Kingdom bus stop on September 11 2011 - that was a worry until we realised that it was just a bus fire...

Stevek

I get it but at the end of the day, it just "feels" like it's too much work for something that should be a vacation. I just want to show up and wing it and while I can certainly do that, it feels like the ability to do so will me much more constrained based on all of the other peeps utilizing the new system. It's the world Disney has created but it's just not one that I think will work with us, at least not right now. Maybe sometime later my mind will change, after it's rolled out and the kinks are worked out. Beyond that, there is still the feeling that there are bigger and better things out there than a trip to WDW, at least for us. But that's a whole other discussion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wonderland Musings:

So, I'm sitting here watching my friend Rachel's step-mom-in-law anchor ABC's World News Tonight and -- with the government in shutdown, our country in numerous wars (some we know about, others not so much), a salmonella outbreak and the fact it took me 23 minutes to get a shake at my local and empty Fuddrucker's today -- what do I watch?

Yep, they were covering last night's coaster shutdown at UNI, including a talk with 'expert' Robb Alvey at O-Town's Fun Spot. I am almost speechless.

Thankfully, I said almost.

Then, there's the question of why/how did O-Town power Lifestyler couple Tom and Scarlett wind up with a DAS, using (abusing?) it and tweeting their experiences to the apparently nine zillion American mommy bloggers who now have autistic kids. Again, why were there no autistic kids in the 70s or 80s? Did I miss them? Did we put them in camps? Or is it just a kewl disorder when you want to ride Peter Pan's Flight 21 times straight without exiting or waiting? Yes, I realize that is worded in an incendiary way. But there is a real point to it, one that any sane person should be able to see.

Well, you wondered how WDI could build an E-Ticket for 'only' $100 million? SImple. You do know where those Body Wars sims are going to be used, right?

My WDI China expert is playing coy (like a fanboi on a first date after dinner at Red Lobster and froyo), but it would appear that I was right (I know, again ... how do I manage this?) and Marvel goes to HKDL and SW goes to SDL. Thing is, though, in what form? I know there were no plans for any SW attractions in the original Pudong park plans, so what has happened?

Who the hell is Kanye and why should I care whether he is alive?

I might just want to be @WDWFigment when I grow up. Law degree. Job for life. Hot wife. One weekend at WDW. The next weekend at DLR. The next weekend at Acadia National Park in Maine, breaking and entering I might add. ...It is only a matter of time before 5 a.m. pics in HKDL wind up on the DPB.

Don't you think vinylmations are an awful thing for a company that claims to care about the environment?

Staying at the BW during Food and WIne? Go park across the street while we leave the lots up close empty in case we have more important conventioneers (who never rent cars anyway) instead.

Might I actually do a WDW visit for Thanksgiving for the first time ever? Only a Spirit knows.

Mrs. Lee said I made @Lee cry by putting him down for watching S.H.I.E.L.D. ... I immediately looked three years younger.

Did I say that I think Miceage jumped the gun on those SW's plans for DLR? ... Oh, because I still do.

The Disney MAGIC sailed away from Spain today after an extensive dry dock and redo. I only wish I could take a cruise on her soon to see what they have done to my beloved ship.

So, got a note from a friend out west who said Pixar Vancouver was basically shutdown to make higher-ups in HR management look like they have a reason to exist. No, having three mediocre films after 15 years of complete greatness didn't have a thing to do with it.

How about those NY Giants?

And remember: Gay Lost in Wonderland debuts tonight at 8 on ABC!

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, how could I forget to point out that with little news and less arguing about politics, this thread is poised to hit 750,000 clicks soon ... a bit over two months.

What does this equate to in freebies from Disney? Just wondering ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Apparently, fanbois are also having a war over the closing of the Court of Angels at DL so they can furher bastardize Club 33 and get more bloggers on the roster (yes, a few have money and the rest have checks from the government, former spouses, mommy and daddy's and charities to 'borrow' from).

I think the treatment of Andy Castro has not been kewl.

Speaking of the Twitverse ... is that Matt Feige kid related to the film Marvel? ... And who the hell is playing Card Walker? I mean ... REALLY?!??!

If I read some of the tweets I have seen in the past few days, I'd be tresspassing some lifestylers, not giving them freebies. Way to go Dr. Blondie, Bland Tommy, Crazy Gary, Scary Steven and Never Met a Disney Food Item She Didn't Want to W- Pam.

Last edited by a moderator:

nytimez

Well, you wondered how WDI could build an E-Ticket for 'only' $100 million? SImple. You do know where those Body Wars sims are going to be used, right?

So I guess it will be not quite "unlike anything you've ever seen before" and "different from anything anywhere," eh?
As in:
Tom Staggs on Iron Man in HKDL:
"We will use an advanced motion simulation ride system, but this attraction will be unlike anything you’ve seen before. Just as Space Mountain is clearly different than Grizzly Gulch, the Iron Man experience will be unique and different from everything else at not only Hong Kong Disneyland, but different from anything anywhere."

...Oh, and Spirit, I do hope you got to watch the Mommy Blogger's video meltdowns - including tears on demand when speaking to a cast member - before they were pulled off the YouTube machine...

WDW1974

Original Poster
On top of building a sham of an eticket, SeaWorld hasn't been paying their bills to contractors.

News story
http://www.mynews13.com/content/new...eaworld_accused_of_.html#.UlVimDcpOAw.twitter

And the lien filed with Orange County.
http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagl...35.pdf?id=DOC1255S1108.A0&parent=DOC1255S1108

SW Parks were stripmined by Blackstone because that is what they exist for. It is terrible, but it is what 'we' allow as bastardized capitalism in the 21st century.

STill looks like BGW will be sold soon, btw.

WDW1974

Original Poster
At this point, I really wish they'd just scrap the Star Warsland idea and just build up the Indy Franchise at DHS. Put in the dark ride that's already two decades too late for a presence at WDW, add the INDY coaster (the real IEddie Sotto INDY Coaster they ended up theming to Bears!) and just build up a cool couple of Star Wars scenes in The Great Movie Ride. You know, like the faux Universal Monsters section where they don't actually show the Universal Monsters?

An indoor TRON light cycle launch coaster in TL sounds a lot cooler than an outdoor SW Speed Bike launch coaster in DHS... which theme already has a place in Star Tours.

Only fanbois care about Indy. Disney doesn't even care and they just bought the IP. To suddenly think they'll make an Indy attraction at WDW is akin to them making an Oliver and Co. or even Mulan attraction.

And I have NOT heard good things about the Tron coaster headed to SDL. ... I am not a fan of that type of ride to begin with because of the weird and uncomfortable way you are seated to ride.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I believe one or two of the bloggers for several sites were testing out how it works today. Not defending them but someone has to be the guinea pig to see how this thing works because god forbid a multi-billion dollar media empire have effective communication with their guests.

Seeing how its only good for 2 weeks, I wouldn't fret. Now if they renew it, then there's an issue.

It shouldn't be tested by anyone except who it is meant for. Period.

It would be akin to me driving around with a handicapped parking pass or wearing a fat suit.

It helps the bloggers and their tiny audiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom