Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

Uh, No it hasnt.

If it has, I need some solid sourcing on that. Because I'm not willing to go down a path on details about a project that hasnt even been green lit yet.

Multiple insiders on here plus Jim Hill have indicated that IJ stunt show is being replaced by a speeder bike ride (the nature of it has been under debate, but not the location). Obviously, plans are fluid and can change but no one has disagreed with that.

Whether the Muppets area will be taken over by Star Wars has been a point of debate and is likely not determined yet.

The Mom

Premium Member
That's great and clearly smart of them to do - especially during the time it first opened.

My post was simply to add balance to this remark from WDW'74;

"Disney didn,t really care about making guests happy or filling the dreams and wishes of the young and young at heart. It was all about money and bullying guests who came to the front desk with legit complaints that should have resulted in comps and discounts being given. But any lowlife scammer who came to the desk with BS issues was basically given whatever they wanted."

I certainly had a much different experience this trip and never felt "bullied" in any of my previous trips.

I'm going to take off my moderator hat for one minute. Please bear with me. ;)

The deficiencies in guest service are not constant or 100% at this time. Most people can stay at a resort and have no problems whatsoever. People are just pointing out that at one time incidents of poor guest experiences (or poor response/resolution to them) were virtually unheard of. If a guest had any issue, the resort bent over backwards to resolve it.

PhotoDave219

Multiple insiders on here plus Jim Hill have indicated that IJ stunt show is being replaced by a speeder bike ride (the nature of it has been under debate, but not the location). Obviously, plans are fluid and can change but no one has disagreed with that.

Whether the Muppets area will be taken over by Star Wars has been a point of debate and is likely not determined yet.

Interesting.

My insiders agree that its happening but havent heard a SOLID thing as to location.

Its still a very fluid situation.

fractal

In December a Dishwasher door fell off onto my aunt and knocked her down. The hinge rusted out on it and went kaput. The front desk at SSR wanted no parts of trying to make up for it or offer any medical assistance in regards to her falling and getting several large bruises. It was nothing more than "Sorry, HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!"

That sucks and I hope she was alright. Did you happen to report the terrible response by SSR?

PhilharMagician

I'm going to take off my moderator hat for one minute. Please bear with me. ;)

The deficiencies in guest service are not constant or 100% at this time. Most people can stay at a resort and have no problems whatsoever. People are just pointing out that at one time incidents of poor guest experiences (or poor response/resolution to them) were virtually unheard of. If a guest had any issue, the resort bent over backwards to resolve it.

Most of the time the service @ WDW is really good, but there are certainly more problems during a stay nowadays than compared to just 10 years ago.

Now in many cases they offer you a couple FP's and say have a nice day or simply tell you "sorry nothing we can do".

rael ramone

I totally get what you're saying, but having the largest market share doesn't make one a leader. A perfect example of this is Microsoft. Microsoft may dominate the PC market because of their presence, but they are far from a leader when it comes to innovation and better quality than many competitors. That's how I'm inferring leadership of the market, in terms of quality, not in the pure market share and revenue benchmarks.

Many consider Apple to be the leader in the smartphone market, but that isn't reflective of their actual market share, which has fallen considerably and is dominated by Android. Same idea that I was going for here.

The 'largest market share' comes with the largest overhead.

Personally, I'm a fan of WDW's 'blessing of size' (an actual Walt quote (from the EPCOT film), not a made up one attributed to him later). But Uni doesn't have all those roads to maintain, waterways/campgrounds, transportation, etc. In just making $$$, it's much more efficient. 2 parks (for now), 3 hotels, nightlife, parking garage, all in walking distance...

Even w/ the huge markup in rooms.... if Uni isn't getting a bigger profit margin on their property yet, it will soon enough, and the MK doesn't have to lose the #1 spot for number of guests for that to happen...

Figments Friend

WDW reduced to one single parade for four parks?

Star Wars reduced to one attraction?

Cars reduced to the cliff notes version?

Reduced operating hours of the parks, reduced operating of rides, even ride closures, with the idea that guests are hitting their daily ride quota quicker with NGE?

Oh, the suspense of it all! The Disney Anticipation - on your next trip, what cherished tradition will they have taken away from you this time?

Heh heh...all the more reason to go to Disneyland instead...!

:D

WDWFigment

Yes, it is easily the best standard hotel room that I have ever had in O-Town. All rooms were recently renovated and look high end and brand new. From the light colors used to the new top of the line Stearns and Foster bedding. Spirited disclosure: as an important Spirit and Faux Top One Percenter I only paid $54 per night, which is the current team member rate. That said, rooms for my dates were available (without plastic covering the amazing view due to outside painting) for $232 a night. To contrast a bit, a room at the would have been $150 or $168 and a room at the WL would have started at $294. No comparison.

These are upscale rooms like you'd find at a resort on the Vegas strip. Nothing cheap about them from the blown Italian glassware to the fully stocked minibar (as an aside, I won't point out how even a Disney moderate resort like CBR opened with mini bars) to the premium coffee to the 24/7 room service. To the great boat transport.

Both the clientele and the employees are a few cuts higher than what you get at WDW in the 21st century. This isn't a 3-star operation masquerading as something higher. This is a true 4-star caliber resort.

Everything wasn't perfect, but you could tell they were aiming that high. Comparing to Disney's resorts, as beautiful as some are, is just laughable.

Again, Disney can't compete. I do wonder what it will do when UNI suddenly has 10-14k rooms on its resort (oh, and not to jump ahead, but it will) ...like I keep saying the paradigm is transforming before our eyes.

But Disney thinks the answer is sustaining a fatally flawed business model because it worked when there were no options for Central FL visitors. Not anymore.

I've heard some great things about the Portofino and it certainly looks nice in photos (actually reminds me a bit of the MiraCosta), but this really has me intrigued. Wonder what kind of rate I can find on it in the fall...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
That sucks and I hope she was alright. Did you happen to report the terrible response by SSR?

Restraints were uncomfortable for the rest of the trip so rides were largely out for her the rest of the trip. It was reported on surveys and to other managers but one really seemed to care. Even went to DVC about it and no care was really given. Shame for them because it was their first trip after buying 200 points straight from Disney.

doctornick

Interesting.

My insiders agree that its happening but havent heard a SOLID thing as to location.

Its still a very fluid situation.

I wouldn't be surprised. But I think at least 2 or 3 people on here (WDW1974, pheneix, maybe articos) stated that a bike coaster -- a different skinned version of a Tron light cycle coaster going in Shanghai -- is going to be on IJ stunt show plot. Jim Hill mentioned in a podcast that a speeder bike coaster would be going there as well but said it was a more of a simulator ride with a big domed screen. Micechat reported that there would be a Star Wars bike coaster going into Tomorrowland at DL replacing the old Rocket Rods pathway and said the same ride was going into DHS.

Now, I'm not saying that this is some gospel truth, just that enough people independently discussed it that I tend to put it into a category of "definitely in the current plans". That doesn't mean that the plans couldn't change abruptly and certainly there are signs that everything is in flux.

The only other "certain" thing I've seen is that a Mos Eisley cantina replica is going somewhere, but there's been at least three rumored locations (Backlot Express, Mama Melrose, and on the current location of the Echo Lake pond).

Personally, I'm dying for some real new to discuss about the Star Wars plans. If you have any info you are able to share, please do....

PhilharMagician

In December a Dishwasher door fell off onto my aunt and knocked her down. The hinge rusted out on it and went kaput. The front desk at SSR wanted no parts of trying to make up for it or offer any medical assistance in regards to her falling and getting several large bruises. It was nothing more than "Sorry, HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!"

I am surprised the didn't hand you a business card for the legal department @ the front desk.

One time when staying @ OKW I woke up with something in my eye and had to go to Centra-Care and it was a shard of glass stuck in my cornea that had to be removed and I had to where an eye patch for a few days. The front desk wanted nothing to do with it. It had to be a previous guest broke a glass and it was in the comforter. The manager handed me a business card from legal and said have a nice day. That is what I call top notch service. Really ruined 3 days of my expensive vacation and cost me $300.00 in medical expenses.

tirian

This was their first time exclusively at Uni; they usually stay in deluxe or DVC resorts at WDW and tack on a day or two elsewhere. One family had children; the other had none.

They stayed for a week.

It's worth mentioning that the one with kids told me they'll never again pay for a deluxe resort at WDW—the proximity doesn't justify the lack of true 4-star service at outrageous price points.

Edit: The funny thing about it was that I kept thinking how both families were saying exactly what Spirit and others have been warning about on the boards. I can guarantee that neither family reads online Disney message boards. FWIW, one family owns several plush car dealerships (think BMW and Lexus) and the other is a pair of lawyers. Hardly the typical fanboy image of Uni-heads. :)

Need more info. Was this their first time at Uni for a while, or ever? What is the age demographic (because Uni still appeals primarily to the teen and young with the coasters)? "Entire vacations" can mean the one day they are visiting, or two weeks, so which?

I like Uni and Disney and Sea World, and would probably enjoy Lego for a day. Last year we spent a week exploring Orlando and only going to Sea World and Aquatica. This year we split it since Sea World passes were still valid. They both are great parks when you take them for what they are. Both also have problems when you really think about it. However, I must say that I could not stop talking about Antarctica either. About how bad it is.:in pain::mad:

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Personally, I'm dying for some real new to discuss about the Star Wars plans. If you have any info you are able to share, please do....

Sadly the only info I have is "I have no new information" and that seems to be the drumbeat from all my Bothans.... "Nothing green lit" .... "Nothing to be announced".... etc. etc.

It leads me to believe that its getting caught up in the typical Disney management bureaucracy.

Doesnt each committee meeting add at least $1 mil to the cost?

devoy1701

I am surprised the didn't hand you a business card for the legal department @ the front desk.

One time when staying @ OKW I woke up with something in my eye and had to go to Centra-Care and it was a shard of glass stuck in my cornea that had to be removed and I had to where an eye patch for a few days. The front desk wanted nothing to do with it. It had to be a previous guest broke a glass and it was in the comforter. The manager handed me a business card from legal and said have a nice day. That is what I call top notch service. Really ruined 3 days of my expensive vacation and cost me $300.00 in medical expenses.

:jawdrop:

:greedy:

And yet we keep going back?

I stop doing business with companies like that based on principle. If not for the glass in my eye, but for how it was handled! And I definitely would have followed up with Guest Relations after my trip and I would probably take my next stay at S&D or a Bonnet Creek property if something similar happened to me or my family! :jawdrop:

rael ramone

You may have read it from someone who has no clue. The last report I received from someone in the know was $2.1B and that was almost 6 months ago.

Lets see..... a plan designed by high executive groupthink who think stepping foot in the parks is beneath them and are surrounded by yes men... a plan that will tick off more people than who will enjoy it... a plan that sounds like it's way over their heads... and a plan that is believed to generate a ton more revenue without spending a microcent on either adding capacity or upgrading the capacity (as in actual attraction improvements) they have...

Is this 'leadership' capable of letting costs escalate by another 900k in 6 months?....

dreamscometrue

I'm still having a hard time believing that number. $3billion is an ridiculous amount of money. A few months ago I read on this board that the real cost of NGE was actually much less than the "rumored" $1 billion. Now we are up to $3billion? I don't get it.

Yeah, I don't know if people really have a clue how much is being invested in this. A billion dollars is a massive amount of money; $2.8-$3.0 billion....I highly doubt that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom