Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

devoy1701

I'm still having a hard time believing that number. $3billion is an ridiculous amount of money. A few months ago I read on this board that the real cost of NGE was actually much less than the "rumored" $1 billion. Now we are up to $3billion? I don't get it.

Yeah, I don't know if people really have a clue how much is being invested in this. A billion dollars is a massive amount of money; $2.8-$3.0 billion....I highly doubt that.

This is the same company whose internal theme park planning and development department builds attractions for 3-4x what it would cost an outside company to do the same work. Why is that number so hard to believe?

maxairmike

This is the same company whose internal theme park planning and development department builds attractions for 3-4x what it would cost an outside company to do the same work. Why is that number so hard to believe?

Bingo! Mermaid was a ridiculous cost, but typical of the kind of inflation you get with WDI compared to Universal Creative. Just compare the cost of the entire WWOHP or even Just Forbidden Journey to NFE.

Magenta Panther

It depends on the resort, in my experience. The deluxes are usually fine. Nothing spectacular, but fine. Moderates are a mixed bag, and values...well, let's not talk about the values.

Well, the Pop Century is okay IMO. But I didn't much like All-Star Movies at all. So garish and kiddie. I kept expecting to get slimed...

PhotoDave219

Lets see..... a plan designed by high executive groupthink who think stepping foot in the parks is beneath them and are surrounded by yes men... a plan that will tick off more people than who will enjoy it... a plan that sounds like it's way over their heads... and a plan that is believed to generate a ton more revenue without spending a microcent on either adding capacity or upgrading the capacity (as in actual attraction improvements) they have...

This describes the tip of Disney's Management Culture. We havent even got into the darwinistic politics and constant infighting.

SirLink

This was their first time exclusively at Uni; they usually stay in deluxe or DVC resorts at WDW and tack on a day or two elsewhere. One family had children; the other had none.

They stayed for a week.

It's worth mentioning that the one with kids told me they'll never again pay for a deluxe resort at WDW—the proximity doesn't justify the lack of true 4-star service at outrageous price points.

Edit: The funny thing about it was that I kept thinking how both families were saying exactly what Spirit and others have been warning about on the boards. I can guarantee that neither family reads online Disney message boards. FWIW, one family owns several plush car dealerships (think BMW and Lexus) and the other is a pair of lawyers. Hardly the typical fanboy image of Uni-heads. :)

Quality speaks for itself.

asianway

Lets see..... a plan designed by high executive groupthink who think stepping foot in the parks is beneath them and are surrounded by yes men... a plan that will tick off more people than who will enjoy it... a plan that sounds like it's way over their heads... and a plan that is believed to generate a ton more revenue without spending a microcent on either adding capacity or upgrading the capacity (as in actual attraction improvements) they have...

Is this 'leadership' capable of letting costs escalate by another 900k in 6 months?....

2.1 was the actual spend. Perhaps 2.8 is the revised estimate at completion - I have no clue. But costs are ballooning.

ParentsOf4

You also have to realize the double standard here that if Disney were to let another company build hotels on their property, then they are just giving up, not being creative, etc. But Universal allowing Loews to build/run hotels on property is perfectly fine.
No doubt a double standard exists for some but I suspect most are unaware or don't care that Uni's 3 onsite hotels are operated by Loews.

Most just look at the end product and don't care how it got there.

A room at Uni's rack rate costs less than a room with WDW's 30% "room only" Deluxe Resort discounts Disney seems to perpetually advertise.

Uni's onsite guests get early morning at WWOHP and unlimited Express Pass while WDW's onsite guests get diminshing Extra Magic Hours.

It's mostly pixie dusters who get bent out of shape because the Swan and the Dolphin aren't "Disney hotels". "They just aren't MAGICal."

ChrisM

Once again, there are several competent people that are on these boards, have business degrees, and could have told them that roughly 2 billion dollars ago.

You need to consider that they also partnered with a company that has more intelligent and ruthless executives, and who's core business is making their clients feel good about themselves despite the ever increasing costs.

rael ramone

In December a Dishwasher door fell off onto my aunt and knocked her down. The hinge rusted out on it and went kaput. The front desk at SSR wanted no parts of trying to make up for it or offer any medical assistance in regards to her falling and getting several large bruises. It was nothing more than "Sorry, HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!"

Since the hiring of CM's that have the capacity to deal with this issue properly, along with the cost of training them to do so, has nothing to do with datamining of minor children or justifying inane executive group think, it's obviously not part of the 2012-2013 budget.:greedy:

If I were her, I'd be firing off letters to everyone in the foodchain from the resort manager right up to the Weatherman. And if I could get contact info on members of the BOD, even better. Maybe one will land in the lap of one of them that doesn't drink the Iger kool-aid.

And copy the Unoffical guide, Orlando Sentinal, WESH-TV, USA-Today, etc...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Multiple insiders on here plus Jim Hill have indicated that IJ stunt show is being replaced by a speeder bike ride (the nature of it has been under debate, but not the location). Obviously, plans are fluid and can change but no one has disagreed with that.

Whether the Muppets area will be taken over by Star Wars has been a point of debate and is likely not determined yet.

Something is coming. Indy is likely to be replaced.

And that's all so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilharMagician

:jawdrop:

:greedy:

And yet we keep going back?

I stop doing business with companies like that based on principle. If not for the glass in my eye, but for how it was handled! And I definitely would have followed up with Guest Relations after my trip and I would probably take my next stay at S&D or a Bonnet Creek property if something similar happened to me or my family! :jawdrop:

Never said I was smart! :banghead: :D

This is the exact reason why TDO keeps continuing with their current business model. The hell with heroin and crack, Pixie Dust can be way more addictive and keeps us coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom