Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Right and folks here would NEVER throw a tantrum about premium priced merch items being added to Food and Wine. :rolleyes:

@wdwmagic can you revisit the newly updated mobile site? It's a pleasure to read but a chore to post. Samsung Galaxy SIII running Jellybean.
Can you start a thread in the Help section about your mobile problems and I'll go from there.

rael ramone

This is one of those "wish I would like more" posts. Universal might as well turn on a no vacancy sign permanently on this resort. I will probably not stay anywhere else on my future visits to Orlando. That place looks fantastic and the price is pretty unbelievable for what they are offering guests. My question is, will disney finally realize that the all stars are worth sightly more than motel 6 prices?

Worth *more* than motel 6? Does Motel 6 have cheerleaders practicing their cheers right outside their doors or the Pop Warner groups?....

PhotoDave219

Very good point Meet and Greets are slated as attractions, they really shouldn't be!

And we havent even broached the subject of "attractions" VS "distractions"....

.....Allegedly.... If it has FP+, its an "Attraction" and if it does not, its considered a "distraction"....

More wonders from middle management and TDO.

Allegedly.

PhotoDave219

The i

The irony is that I lived in Tampa for 30 years, I just moved to the Boston area this year!

It seems like the chic thing to do right now is to dump on Disney and throw major love to Universal. If your looking at short term bench marks, that may be fair. However, to pretend like a Disney hotel is a glorified Motel 6 while a night at Universal is like a night at the Bellagio is silly. Understand, I hope Disney kicks it into high gear soon too (they need to)! Just think some perspective is necessary, that's all

Clearly you missed my explanation on this.

Its simple: Comcast is showing a LOT of love towards their parks and we just want to see Disney show the same love, care and stewardship towards its parks rather than as cash cows (The main one being ESPN) for the company.

PhotoDave219

Can I remind some of you to read http://forums.wdwmagic.com/help/terms

In particular:
Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another user and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore the user.

Okay, Okay, I'll keep being good.

truecoat

They are very quickly losing all three of those factors though. But as it stands right now, there are still people who think that Harry Potter is at Disney, or that Disney includes Universal and Seaworld. Until this changes they will still be seen as leaders, even if they are rapidly losing their grip on that position.

I remember reading a post about a guy bawling in the Contemporary lobby because he just realized that Potter was at Universal and not at Disney.

asianway

And we havent even broached the subject of "attractions" VS "distractions"....

.....Allegedly.... If it has FP+, its an "Attraction" and if it does not, its considered a "distraction"....

More wonders from middle management and TDO.

Allegedly.
If thats true, I just lost my faith in humanity

fractal

Not quite - but close, and in a better way. I stayed at Portofino when it first opened, and was either given/was sent a guest review form. I pointed out a potential safety issue in the rooms, and they comped my stay.

That's great and clearly smart of them to do - especially during the time it first opened.

My post was simply to add balance to this remark from WDW'74;

"Disney didn,t really care about making guests happy or filling the dreams and wishes of the young and young at heart. It was all about money and bullying guests who came to the front desk with legit complaints that should have resulted in comps and discounts being given. But any lowlife scammer who came to the desk with BS issues was basically given whatever they wanted."

I certainly had a much different experience this trip and never felt "bullied" in any of my previous trips.

Last edited:

baymenxpac

I know I'm new here but, good heavens, do you work for Universal? I feel like I'm reading the text from an infomercial.

posts like this actually amuse me. because if this was anywhere from 1974 to approximately 1994-'95, you'd hear spirit say the same thing about disney resorts and parks. it's not his fault that people just can't see past their pixie dust habit.

The irony is that I lived in Tampa for 30 years, I just moved to the Boston area this year!

It seems like the chic thing to do right now is to dump on Disney and throw major love to Universal. If your looking at short term bench marks, that may be fair. However, to pretend like a Disney hotel is a glorified Motel 6 while a night at Universal is like a night at the Bellagio is silly. Understand, I hope Disney kicks it into high gear soon too (they need to)! Just think some perspective is necessary, that's all

listen, man. i'm not dumping on you, so please don't take it this way. it's just that i used to think a lot like this. but if you want perspective, i'll gladly give it:

did four nights at OKW in april. my family has been DVC members since 1993. i know the glory days and i know the new walmarted days. i've seen it all. got into bed the first night and on the sheets was a very obvious stain where someone must have had self tanner rub off and it wasn't laundered out properly. it was 11PM, so instead of calling housekeeping, i got the sheets off the other queen in my studio. there was a few holes and pink nail polish in that sheet. now, do you know what the rack rate for old key west is? if so, do you think i should have those problems simply by getting into bed? last august, it took three (count them: one, two, THREE) calls to housekeeping to get some extra towels (which of course, they charge you for) for our room. are these trivial, anecdotal gripes? maybe, but not when you're paying for a premium experience.

it's not en vogue to me to bash disney. like some who are critical on these boards, it actually hurts me to do it. but what am i supposed to do? hand disney my money, close my eyes, and pretend it was the same guest experience as 20 years ago? it's just not. as a consumer, why would i pay more for an inferior product (whether you compare it to the disney of yesterday or the universal of today)?

in a thread earlier this year, i relayed i story about how a 21 year old CM at pirates tried to make me sit in a row with 3 inches of water in the bottom of the boat when no one else was behind me in the queue, and i said that you have to be an advocate for yourself at the modern WDW. why? why should part of my vacation be that i have to actively insure no one is ripping me off or taking advantage of me?

THAT is merely the tip of the perspective iceberg.

doctornick

WDW1974 can you give us any additional insight on what is on the chopping block at the Studios in order to make room for Star Wars Land?

It's been pretty well established at this point that the IJ stunt show and likel the American Idol experience will be gone for Star Wars. Star Wars may also be build into the SoA area currently occupied by the Muppets/Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose.

PhotoDave219

It's been pretty well established at this point that the IJ stunt show and likel the American Idol experience will be gone for Star Wars. Star Wars may also be build into the SoA area currently occupied by the Muppets/Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose.

Uh, No it hasnt.

If it has, I need some solid sourcing on that. Because I'm not willing to go down a path on details about a project that hasnt even been green lit yet.

rael ramone

During Food & Wine...why no up priced prepacked groceries to buy after seeing that fabulous recipe you saw prepared by a Foodnetwork celeb to bring back to your kitchen equipped DVC? .

I think theres more real 'cooking' on a Saturday afternoon on PBS than a whole weeks worth of Scripps owned networks... they aren't in the 'fabulous recipe' business anymore... it's either cooking contests, cupcake wars, or someone who thinks it's ok to tell people to go buy precut onions & peppers and combine a bunch of processed junk together to make a 'semi-homemade' nuclear stew.... People who watch food network don't do a lot of cooking... most of the commercials are for restaurants & pre-made foods...

Besides, those in the DVCs are renting cars and going to UNI now....

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I certainly had a much different experience this trip and never felt "bullied" in any of my previous trips.

In December a Dishwasher door fell off onto my aunt and knocked her down. The hinge rusted out on it and went kaput. The front desk at SSR wanted no parts of trying to make up for it or offer any medical assistance in regards to her falling and getting several large bruises. It was nothing more than "Sorry, HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!"

fractal

A real cost of 2.8 billion and rising with no end in sight? With saddening implications that are starting to hit other areas of P&R? Not quite funny.

I'm still having a hard time believing that number. $3billion is an ridiculous amount of money. A few months ago I read on this board that the real cost of NGE was actually much less than the "rumored" $1 billion. Now we are up to $3billion? I don't get it.

doctornick

I've still yet to have anything but fantastic service at WDW. Have I encountered CMs that were unhelpful? Of course, sometimes they could not answer my question or solve my problem. But I've never met a CM at WDW who blew me off or was truly rude. In fact, the only time with Disney when that's happened to me was when I had two very poor experiences with CMs at DLR during a trip in 2010.

Now, I don't go as often as many on this board, so I have far fewer experiences to draw from. But I have not experienced this issue myself.

asianway

I'm still having a hard time believing that number. $3billion is an ridiculous amount of money. A few months ago I read on this board that the real cost of NGE was actually much less than the "rumored" $1 billion. Now we are up to $3billion? I don't get it.
You may have read it from someone who has no clue. The last report I received from someone in the know was $2.1B and that was almost 6 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom