Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN1279

They have admitted that there will be no "day of" Fastpasses held in reserve for us non-planners.
That's all I needed to hear.
Negative.
Where did they admit this? I couldn't find the article anywhere? Sucks if true.

Goofyernmost

Making a choice requires having the information needed to make an informed choice.

We are in the infancy of the commercial Internet and personal data collection; the Wild West period if you will. Lawlessness abounds. Reasonable protections and rules must be established in order for this period to end.

The book Unsafe at Any Speed: The Designed-In Dangers of the American Automobile by Ralph Nader was published in 1965 and documented decades of systemic safety abuse by the auto industry. It took decades after that publication for cars to be manufactured to what today would be considered to be reasonable safety standards.

In the Information Age, we consumers need more information regarding how our information is collected and used along with regulations protecting our information from misuse.

The problem we face today in an age of rapidly changing technology is that the government can't keep up with the change while the private sector will resist any regulation that impacts profits (like the auto industry did).

Companies such as Disney and Google will insist that out information is safe, that out information is not being abused. We should trust them about the same as GM or Ford should have been trusted in the 1960s.

As happened in so many other industries, it might take decades of consumer activism before reasonable rules are established for the collection and use of our information in the Information Age.
I totally agree with what you said, however, what do we do in the meantime. Should we not go to Disney or anywhere outside of our lead lined, underground, electronic signal proofed abode?

It is obvious that there are a lot of people expressing their concern about this and as soon as they can prove that it is happening and explain how it is happening, then it will be much easier to get any change to happen. Automobile safety was talked about for years before Ralph Nader wrote the book, but without proof it was largely accepted that we take certain risks and they probably were minimal. I personally owned a Chevrolet Corvair and I am still alive to tell about it. Once proof was there then the public got behind it and change happened.

In other words yelling wolf will not do it. Show me a picture of the wolf and I will be on board. How do we do that you say? By collecting and verifying information the same way they do. You data-mine them. If they can do it, others can as well. However, since going to a Disney park is completely voluntary it will be hard to find someone willing to fight that fight especially in light of the fact that by not going there, no data can be mined even by the 7 dwarfs. It will boil down to if you don't trust them you have an obligation to not go there anymore. One cannot just demand that they tell you...one individual just plain doesn't have that kind of power.

To put it back to the automobile comparison. What is happening with NGE presently is about the same as looking at a car design and deciding that it will be dangerous and yelling about how everyone is going to get killed in it even though not enough of the components have been built and tested to know what we will ultimately end up with. Will it be bad...Could be! Is it possible that it won't be as bad as depicted...Maybe or Maybe not. Should we be concerned, yes, of course. But it will be helpful if we know what to be concerned about and until it actually exists there is nothing to point to other then speculation. Even intent, at this point, is not something that will necessarily be satisfied.

emcclay

We also heard some reports of people getting "compensated" by Disney when problems came up. If someone has a bad experience but management makes them whole by giving them gift cards, free stuff and/or additional fast passes they probably are going to report a positive experience. 80% still seems pretty high, even for cast members and some DVC resorts.

This has been an on-going practice. Honestly, I have no problem with it. Whatever keeps the guests happy and us CM's employed :)

wogwog

A lot of Cast Members are not happy with MM+. Many are upset this money was not spent on more immediate issues at Walt Disney World.

And not to mention all of the coverage this gets internally. It's almost a joke now because of how GREAT everything is about MM+.

The Disney public stance on the program makes me think they study Jay Carney, the spin master.

71jason

Again, to reiterate, WDW is telling people this is a "bonus"--not a replacement. Guests most likely don't realize the one E-ticket FP is the only worthwhile one they would get under the new regime. That skews opinions as well (tho I still find 80% positive too hard to swallow).

It's the difference between "Do you want more shopping and dining options in Pleasure Island?" v. "Do you want us to close all the clubs in Pleasure Island and replace them with restaurants/stores from your local mall?".

Goofyernmost

Tell you what, just as soon as you can tell me how telling the public that they screwed up and all the efforts we made to screw you over has kinda backfired would be something positive any business then I will tell you that it is strange that they don't just come clean and say that people don't like it. Heck, that kind of admission would just fill those theme parks, don't you think.

Of course, they are going to slant the statistics in their favor. That's what statistics are for and the purpose of every one. Whatever point one is trying to prove, that is how the stats will be interpreted by them.

Figments Friend

A lot of Cast Members are not happy with MM+. Many are upset this money was not spent on more immediate issues at Walt Disney World.

And not to mention all of the coverage this gets internally. It's almost a joke now because of how GREAT everything is about MM+.
Good.
I am glad this is becoming a running joke, because the CMs are spot on.
This money could indeed have been used for far better purpsoses, and on more immediate and Guest-enchancing purposes.
Wasting this huge amount of money on something like MM+ is ridiculous when one looks at all the other issues that need to be addressed on property.

ParentsOf4

Of course, they are going to slant the statistics in their favor. That's what statistics are for and the purpose of every one. Whatever point one is trying to prove, that is how the stats will be interpreted by them.
Let's not forget that Rasulo claimed that "Walt Disney World" set "new Q3 attendance records" at a quarterly results call when, in fact, it was only the Magic Kingdom that had record attendance. If he was willing to do that in front of Wall Street, one can imagine the spin machine in place for MyMagic+.

Expect the Disney PR machine to be in full-court press on MyMagic+. It's got Iger's name on it and Wall Street is expecting big numbers. Corporate Disney needs to paper over problems and negative MyMagic+ feedback.

Quoting from the article, "The company said its most recent monitoring of social-media channels found overall sentiment about the program was about 80 percent positive — and just 2 percent negative"

Come on, who really believes a 2% negative feedback rate? Exactly what did they use to measure that, monitor their own highly censored web sites?

"The customer didn't explicitly say that MyMagic+ stunk and that they are never coming back to Walt Disney World so I get they must have liked it, right?" :rolleyes:

Nubs70

Tell you what, just as soon as you can tell me how telling the public that they screwed up and all the efforts we made to screw you over has kinda backfired would be something positive any business then I will tell you that it is strange that they don't just come clean and say that people don't like it. Heck, that kind of admission would just fill those theme parks, don't you think.

This is not what statistics are for and are not the purpose of manipulating outcomes. Individuals that are found to be manipulating statistics need to be called out for scientific malpractice and treated the same as plagerisers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This has been an on-going practice. Honestly, I have no problem with it. Whatever keeps the guests happy and us CM's employed :)
I agree 100% with you. Guests participating in a test of the system should absolutely be "made whole" if the system results in any inconvenience to them. They are doing Disney a favor in helping with the test.

As @Nubs70 stated below, this practice will artificially influence the results of a poll and make the results more positive than they would have been without the additional compensation. That is a one of the likely reason why the numbers trended so high towards the positive.
This is a dishonest practice to influence the outcome. Compensation changes a clear negative response to positive to neutral at best. If the "compensated" are thrown out of the data set, the true outcome of the test can be evaluated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

No matter how bad things go you will never hear an official statement from TWDC that is anything other than glowing and positive. TWDC spent billions on this. If they admit failure that's the kind of thing that gets management (chiefs and presidents not just mid level VPs) and members of the BOD fired.

ParentsOf4

No matter how bad things go you will never hear an official statement from TWDC that is anything other than glowing and positive. TWDC spent billions on this. If they admit failure that's the kind of thing that gets management (chiefs and presidents not just mid level VPs) and members of the BOD fired.
A Disney spokesperson publically stating that MyMagic+ has serious issues is like hearing a defense attorney admit that their client is guilty. :D

Nubs70

A Disney spokesperson publically stating that MyMagic+ has serious issues is like hearing a defense attorney admit that their client is guilty. :D
This is why they should say nothing at all. However, the horse is so far out of the barn on this one they cannot possibly get the horse back. WDW should have rolled out NGE like FLE in phases only after each segment was properly commissioned. FLE should have been rolled out in a single phase after all attractions were properly commissioned.

llrain

Regarding general problems, recently a co worker took his and like 10 of his family members to the world and had a "problem" at the end of their trip. From what I understand they basically were not allowed to check in at the magical express desk on departure day with southwest due to down computers or something, so they complained and the whole complaint process from this family spilled over to when they got home, for a couple weeks even.
Apparently protocol was followed by disney management. THis whole problem wasnt even disneys fault cause if they did what they were supposed to do they should have checked into Southwest the day before. So protocol was followed he and his family were offered compensation of a 4 day pass each towards their next visit.

Here is where your statement below bugs me and why the repeat vacationers like me see partially why prices go up, I am now in a indirect way paying for you keeping guests happy. you guys arent giving these freebies for free, we all pay in the end. Its like retail security. Anyways the 4 day passes werent enough, His mother persisted to the point that complaining enough got her and her family a 7 day vacation complete with passes.
THis is the crap that bugs me, it was never disneys fault that southwest was not working and that when a guest
just keeps complaining until they are blue in their face you, the cast members, have bowed down to the practice of just not really standing firm on your compensations but always giving in.

Nubs70

Regarding general problems, recently a co worker took his and like 10 of his family members to the world and had a "problem" at the end of their trip. From what I understand they basically were not allowed to check in at the magical express desk on departure day with southwest due to down computers or something, so they complained and the whole complaint process from this family spilled over to when they got home, for a couple weeks even.
Apparently protocol was followed by disney management. THis whole problem wasnt even disneys fault cause if they did what they were supposed to do they should have checked into Southwest the day before. So protocol was followed he and his family were offered compensation of a 4 day pass each towards their next visit.

Here is where your statement below bugs me and why the repeat vacationers like me see partially why prices go up, I am now in a indirect way paying for you keeping guests happy. you guys arent giving these freebies for free, we all pay in the end. Its like retail security. Anyways the 4 day passes werent enough, His mother persisted to the point that complaining enough got her and her family a 7 day vacation complete with passes.
THis is the crap that bugs me, it was never disneys fault that southwest was not working and that when a guest
just keeps complaining until they are blue in their face you, the cast members, have bowed down to the practice of just not really standing firm on your compensations but always giving in.
Knowing this type of compensation is occurring, if WDW tries to get me to sign up for MM+ on my trip to the Petri dish in Sept, I will only agree if I am upgraded to AKL concierge with savannah view. Let's hope they call.

PhotoDave219

Of course theyre not going to admit it. They're not going to admit anything about what theyre doing, despite the evidence that is leaking out.

Now I'm not 100% against this. I like the idea of interactivity and Mickey Mouse greeting me by name. (I also like the thought or Ariel giving me a very personal greeting, but who doesnt). I think it would be cool to have the park interact with me.

I do Like the new RFID turnstyles. I can get through in almost half the time if there isnt a guest in front of me. If there's a line, thats a different story.

I do like making dinner reservations with my Phone right there in front of the podium person who just told me there wasnt any openings.

I dont like touch to pay. I dont like FP+. I dont like to plan things out. I refuse to jump through hoops.

And I sure as hell dont like being tracked and having everything I do watched, especially without any sense of transparency coming from Disney about it. They need to address these privacy concerns and then some.

On the bright side? It doesnt seem to work, so I wont need to worry about being tracked, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom