Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tissandtully

Way to miss the point.

Didn't say they were same. Only I see a distasteful similarity that makes me uncomfortable. How is it Disney got themselves into such a strange business of data mining, attempts to control their guests choices and movements? I wonder how they arrived here. They were the leaders in the theme park industry. Why here? Why?

They are not unique. I'm sure you use Google and Facebook. I'm getting tired of the hyperbole and hypocrisy here.

sweetpee_1993

I don't use FB myself a whole lot either, but, I'm sure you can agree it was a safe assumption.
By numbers, yes. Just like how the majority of guests will happily play along and just accept whatever garbage Disney asks without thinking. I've spent a lifetime marching to the beat of my choosing even if I had to do it alone. Sometimes its a lonely proposition but I can keep my head high knowing I didn't follow the phlock, I used my own brain & made my own decisions. In short, its been a lifetime of not being the majority. Hopefully (crossing fingers) the 2 humans I've raised are stepping along to their own rhythm, too. Here's where this NextGen culture is the strongest of deterrents. Hello Disney! We do exist!

stevehousse

I think the whole MM+ and band were announced way to early! This never should have been mentioned until it was ready to roll! So much confusion, so many questions and such!

Data mining is how companies do business now a days and is so common everywhere you go. Disney decided to jump on that band wagon. Yes people don't like it which I understand, but this is our future now with big businesses and it isn't going away anytime soon.

I don't see it as such a huge deal, I mean you drive your car, you are filmed, you walk down the street, you are filmed, you shop at a store, you are filmed, and so on and so on.

The patriot act took all our privacy away and we can blame our gov for that. Heck, they have been filming you at Disney for years as well! You can't even pick your nose without it being caught by some kind of tech!

All this talk of the bands and privacy is pointless because it isn't going away. If you don't like it thats ok, but all these arguments about it won't make it stop.

Welcome to America in 2013! The land of the not so free anymore!

WDWDad13

No they don't and that's the point you are still missing. The waiter at the restaurant does not know anything about me now. They dont have access to the front desk reservations of even dining reservations. The info is in Disney's system, but not every CM has access to it. There are security controls in place to only allow access to information if they need it to do their job.

and you think every CM in the Walt Disney Company will have access to all of the same information without any restrictions or security mechanisms???

Goofyernmost

Disney’s attitude towards disclosure of NextGen information is much like the tobacco industry’s resistance to disclosure of health risks, the automobile industry’s resistance to disclosure of safety concerns, or the food industry’s resistance to disclosure of ingredients. These industries vehemently opposed changes to the status quo because they knew such information would adversely impact business yet, ultimately, it was we the people who benefited. Today’s society is better exactly because of these disclosures.

To quote the Gordon Gekko character in the film Wall Street, “The most valuable commodity I know of is information.”

In the Information Age, our personal information is perhaps the most valuable commodity that we possess, which is why Disney is spending billions to collect it. As consumers, perhaps the most valuable commodity we can receive from Disney is disclosure of what information they intend to collect via MyMagic+ and how they intend to use it.

It’s not too late. In all of the examples I cited, the government acted belatedly to serious issues that existed for decades. The “that ship has sailed” attitude doesn’t hold any water.

The U.S. Government didn’t say the tobacco industry couldn’t sell cigarettes, the automobile industry couldn’t sell cars, or that the food industry couldn’t sell processed foods. Instead, it put in place reasonable limits and required more disclosure to consumers.

Disney doesn’t have to stop “selling” MyMagic+; it only has to more openly disclose its intentions. The best consumer is an informed consumer and, with sufficient information, it will be the market that decides how it feels about MyMagic+.

And that’s the problem. Disney doesn’t want you to decide. They want to decide for you.

Just like the tobacco, automobile, and food industries once did.
You see, that's what I think is the problem and it is two fold. One is that, at this point they and we don't know what it is actually going to do. They have barely scratched the surface with their intended usage. And two, the "evil" parts that everyone is concerned about was probably not part of the intended objective. That was perhaps an unforeseen problem. To be more explicit, since the system is only in trial mode at the moment and at the moment there are some glaring problems with security, does that mean that this is what was intended or is that a glitch in the current system. Do we know for sure that they will fully implement this system before they have solved this problem? To counter the argument, yes it is possible that they might, but it is also possible that since the spotlight has been shown on them over the past year, there no longer is the idea that Disney isn't letting everyone know what is going on with it. What they don't directly say, someone has managed to "leak" out to the media (like this one) and bring attention to it.

The only idea that we have right now is what we have managed to get from our sources, which is limited, and the rest is fan based guessing and speculation of what, not only it is, but what it's intent is. If and when this system is fully implemented, just how long do you think it will take for everyone to know exactly what they are doing with it. If it is half of what everyone is saying, it will be like a trumpet sounding in the forest.

I have yet to hear anyone give me a convincing argument as to how Disney is going to "force" me to spend more money then I have by using this unless they plan on using the information gleaned from us to kidnap our children and hold them for ransom. (watch someone run with that statement) I stated ages ago that I felt that the investment return was never really focused on the current guests completely. In fact, I felt that it was a very small portion of that and the rest, if successful, would come from selling the basic system to other places. Now just as recently as yesterday, Spirit has stated that his information tells him that Disney is not in this alone. Translation, others will benefit from the system that Disney owns and will sell to them to recoup R&D costs, then Disney would have a new, state of the art system and others will have paid for it.

Again, I would like to see what we end up with before I start wetting my pants, fretting over something that still doesn't exist in full form. As far as Disney wanting to decide for me...this is their company, not mine. They are free to do whatever they want with or without my approval. When it's installed and running and I don't like what I see, then I can decide if it's acceptable to me or not. I know we all have a right to bare arms, but, I don't foresee them holding a gun to my head forcing me to participate unless I want too. That's why I think this whole argument is just plain silly. It is based on almost no information, (you yourself have stated that they haven't given any) and conclusions are being jumped too, based on rumors and paranoia and any of us that say, get a grip are looked at like fools. The view from this side is about the same. It could be pure evil or it could be a workable system once the "bugs" are worked out. Since this isn't really a "fanbois" type problem, pixie dust doesn't enter the scenario. It is a business system that isn't fantasy, it is real in whatever form it eventually takes. I prefer to wait until the product is delivered to decide which end of the fulcrum that it falls on.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Arguing or on orders to deflect?:cautious:
Bingo! Do you ever think some people on here are Disney agents operating in subterfuge. Especially the ones who have NO info at all on their profile page but are calling others out for being concerned about privacy issues with NGE.

Funmeister

Do you have a link to the story? Did this employee have direct contact with children? That would be a huge factor in him getting caught at work. If a worker has contact with his target group, he has a hard time controlling himself. I work with sex offenders as part of my job and they can hide in plain sight most of the time.

Disney had a horrible time in the 90's with sex offenders due to a lack of background checks but seem to have corrected this after a girl was raped. In the end, they tended to sweep these problems under the rug by firing or transferring but not calling the police.

Ask and you shall receive....

Could not find the article but sure this will work! Did a general search and this was first to pop up.

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Stanley_King_5515269/

GLaDOS

Bingo! Do you ever think some people on here are Disney agents operating in subterfuge. Especially the ones who have NO info at all on their profile page but are calling others out for being concerned about privacy issues with NGE.

Considering I know Disney monitors fan sites, it wouldn't surprise me. My post was mainly done in jest, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

SirLink

Its my understanding that the Cast Member at the kiosk will have access to everything you have booked that is attached to your user ID.

Doesn't surprise me, relatives who booked through Walt Disney Travel Co. got sent the details for a different family - that system is supposed to be automated so ...

Funmeister

Do you have a link to the story? Did this employee have direct contact with children? That would be a huge factor in him getting caught at work. If a worker has contact with his target group, he has a hard time controlling himself. I work with sex offenders as part of my job and they can hide in plain sight most of the time.

Disney had a horrible time in the 90's with sex offenders due to a lack of background checks but seem to have corrected this after a girl was raped. In the end, they tended to sweep these problems under the rug by firing or transferring but not calling the police.

You can also do your own search. There are quite a few.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Considering I know Disney monitors fan sites, it wouldn't surprise me. My post was mainly done in jest, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
I dont blame them for monitoring. I would do the same thing. If they do have people on fan sites attempting to perform damage control it seems that would somewhat prove they are aware the fans are not responding well to this. The "im with the band" t-shirts was the first nod. Propaganda doesnt work so well when it is that obvious. Seems that department is just as incompetent as the i.t. dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom