Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittybubbles

yes that's exactly what is it... but some have their blinders on regarding the "good" aspects of it

Example: How many of your enjoy running to Toy Story Mania or Soarin' at rope drop? This may be eliminated by NextGen

But it is just as probable/practical that the best time slots for TSMM will be held for guest with a score of 80 to 100 (out of 100), the next quintile of guest scores are saved for the 2nd most desirable times, but you are in the 4th quintile and you just assume FP was booked before you planned your day, so you go at rope drop just to find that the folks in the 3rd quintile are flowing in via the FP queue making your wait 50+ minutes...but you have no way of knowing Disney scored your value in the first place.

I have no idea why Disney didn't use their wireless APP to do a lot of their tracking instead of building an entire system built around RFID. Folks that think paying w/ cash is a way of opting out, how do you know there are not card readers above the ceiling tiles at the registrars? Reading your admission ticket in your wallet is not much different than the security systems near the doors at most retail outlets (that don't require the thief to tap the sensor).

So how does Disney get people to opt in? Well, you agree to the terms when you book on-line, so they can start reducing phone agents to get you to find a benefit to booking room, dining, and FP+ on-line.

Those that keep the band in their pocket, does this become a pain when you at at EMHs and you need to tap to ride?

Anyone recall surveys about day time tickets only or entertainment only tickets? To pull that off, folks would need to tap to ride all day given you a reason to keep your card/band handy.

I was wondering recently if the company would try and push everyone right by staggering ride opening times, then news came out about the changes at AK, maybe they are just trying to learn something....the data shows we can save operating cost by opening Prates, Splash, and IASW an hour later than our other rides.

But I guess the point is that no one knows so we will all just wait and see if NextGEN enhances or takes away from your WDW experience.

luv

I'm pretty sure that that yellowed piece of paper in the Library of Congress does not read..."the right to life, liberty and the god given right to go to Walt Disney World.
Yeah, it does. People who go to Disney World - almost every single one of them - are pursuing happiness. And they have the God-given right to do it.

alphac2005

Here's where the defenders of Disney's grand privacy experiment are stuck in a contradictory rut: Disney has clearly decided over the past decade to cater to the over-catered 10 and under age group and their obnoxious, little Johnny gets everything parents. That's what it's all about in Orlando now, toddlers and little kids. OK.

According to the plan, you are now setup to make ride reservations two months out from your visit. Here's the issue: Anyone of us that has traveled with children, well, um, scheduling out attractions and events by time, that usually doesn't work too well. Little guy or girl gets tired, needs a nap, all the sudden becomes frightened by something that they weren't two minutes ago, not before long, all of your precious preplanned ride reservations become worthless.

In June, we went to Universal and played it by ear for five day. Stayed on property, had the Universal Express with the line access, and had a wonderful time. Had we been in a system like the new Disney reservation bonanza, I can guarantee you that we wouldn't return for years. Scheduling with a three year old is simply laughable.

ParentsOf4

There is a lot of truth to that statement, however, is there not a point in our currently electronically driven society where we voluntarily and excitedly gave up that privacy factor for our own benefit. If I didn't own a computer, credit card or a cell phone, the only way the government or private industry even knows I exist is because I pay taxes. I am not on anyone's radar and frankly, no one cares what I do, or for the most part even knows I exist. Once I decided to live in and partake of the technology of the electronic age, then one of the side effects of that lifestyle is that you're an open book. Ideal, no, not at all. But reality, you bet! You can fault Disney for taking advantage of the electronic age or the government for using it as a governing tool if you want, the blame falls on us and that ship has already sailed. It's been sailing for quite a while now.

Well, we didn't know that is how it was going to work? Too bad, that is how it works and we were too foolish to take it into consideration. The lights were shining to brightly. What's done is done.

I have to wonder, in this scenario is are we collectively sitting here and saying that we have just had an epiphany, after 30 plus years, about what was happening and are now out there attempting to close the barn door, even though the horse is already gone? Or are we just more upset about the alleged amount of money that is being spent on it that we mistakenly think would have gone to new attractions at WDW? I wonder how many people thought that television was just a fad and just would never catch on?

This technology is going to happen whether we like it or not. The bright side is that, in the case of Disney, we do not have to buy into it. We have no life threatening need to ever step foot in a Theme park, so forewarned, we can completely avoid this, so called, intrusion. I'm pretty sure that that yellowed piece of paper in the Library of Congress does not read..."the right to life, liberty and the god given right to go to Walt Disney World.
Disney’s attitude towards disclosure of NextGen information is much like the tobacco industry’s resistance to disclosure of health risks, the automobile industry’s resistance to disclosure of safety concerns, or the food industry’s resistance to disclosure of ingredients. These industries vehemently opposed changes to the status quo because they knew such information would adversely impact business yet, ultimately, it was we the people who benefited. Today’s society is better exactly because of these disclosures.

To quote the Gordon Gekko character in the film Wall Street, “The most valuable commodity I know of is information.”

In the Information Age, our personal information is perhaps the most valuable commodity that we possess, which is why Disney is spending billions to collect it. As consumers, perhaps the most valuable commodity we can receive from Disney is disclosure of what information they intend to collect via MyMagic+ and how they intend to use it.

It’s not too late. In all of the examples I cited, the government acted belatedly to serious issues that existed for decades. The “that ship has sailed” attitude doesn’t hold any water.

The U.S. Government didn’t say the tobacco industry couldn’t sell cigarettes, the automobile industry couldn’t sell cars, or that the food industry couldn’t sell processed foods. Instead, it put in place reasonable limits and required more disclosure to consumers.

Disney doesn’t have to stop “selling” MyMagic+; it only has to more openly disclose its intentions. The best consumer is an informed consumer and, with sufficient information, it will be the market that decides how it feels about MyMagic+.

And that’s the problem. Disney doesn’t want you to decide. They want to decide for you.

Just like the tobacco, automobile, and food industries once did.

Last edited:

Cody5242

Just a thought...
Say you eat at a nice Disney restaurant one evening. The waiter, who unbeknownst to either you or Disney is a thief, notices that you and your wife have a lot of nice jewelry on for the evening.

Using his trusty device, he determines that you all have FPs tomorrow at Soarin at 11am, followed by lunch at Coral Reef.

Now he knows what room you are staying in, and that it will be empty tomorrow from at least 11am-1pm.

Good time to burgle that room.

Maybe an extreme example...but possible.
Thank god I don't stay at Disney resorts then

truecoat

I'm not losing sleep over it, but I still don't like it. There are bad people everywhere and I don't blame Disney when an employee does something wrong currently. I'm sure they do some form of background checks or security before hiring. I just can't see why you would want that many cast members to have access to that much personal info. Its just too tempting. If something happens as a result Disney could be opening themselves up for a serious lawsuit not to mention the horrible PR. This isn't credit card info we are talking about. It's literally a list of where I'm going to be and at what time for the remainder of my trip.

You really should be worried about letting your kids use the bathrooms and stairwells by themselves. That's where they are most vulnerable and a favorite for predators. They don't need high tech info to get what they want. Most predators don't work well with others, they can't help themselves and would be fired very quickly in a place like Disney.

Lee

Adventurer
Pentacat, sounds like we're thinking along the same lines. The thing I''m most concerned about with NGE is that I really have no interest in using it, and because of that my WDW experience will be negatively impacted.

I've been going to WDW for over 20 years now, and I rarely plan my trip beforehand. I have a general idea of what parks I want to visit, where I want to golf, what other "outside the parks" areas I want to visit, where I want to eat, etc....but the days and times are totally interchangeable. I'll admit that I don't know exactly how the MM+ stuff works/will work - since I realized almost immediately that I didn't care for it I've tuned out almost all news about it - but reserving a fastpass for Space Mountain a month in advance seems totally nonsensical to me. I don't want to be locked in in the Magic Kingdom/Tomorrowland/Space Mountain at a specific date and time.

So, now I get the feeling that "regular" fastpasses will be harder to come by, standby lines will be longer (although after fastpass was introduced I can't bring myself to wait in a line longer than 30 minutes), and yes, making same day or walk in dining reservations at good TS restaurants will be exceedingly difficult.

Putting aside all the privacy concerns, it just doesn't excite me. Is there any recourse?
That's my position almost exactly.

I've looked at it from every angle and I've yet to see a single benefit for me, and plenty of negatives.

Funmeister

You really should be worried about letting your kids use the bathrooms and stairwells by themselves. That's where they are most vulnerable and a favorite for predators. They don't need high tech info to get what they want. Most predators don't work well with others, they can't help themselves and would be fired very quickly in a place like Disney.

No they do not need high tech to do what they do but it can help.

"fired very quickly" = A pedophile worked for Disney for 20+ years before being caught and arrested.

Does not seem "very quickly" to me!

Nubs70

Sounds like they have moved into Thermal Biometric Imaging/Thermal Signature Recognition. That makes a whole lot of sense given that theses systems are faster and more accurate than standard visual face recognition. The ve a HUGE advantage in low light environments like say, darkened theme park attractions.

Sounds like a hybrid Visual/Thermal camera system + RFID tags means that they would have an insane amount of resolution in terms of locating an "object" er....I mean guest.
Look at the lenses, if they appear to have a mirrored surface, this indicates thermographic cameras.

sweetpee_1993

Disney’s attitude towards disclosure of NextGen information is much like the tobacco industry’s resistance to disclosure of health risks, the automobile industry’s resistance to disclosure of safety concerns, or the food industry’s resistance to disclosure of ingredients. These industries vehemently opposed changes to the status quo because they knew such information would adversely impact business yet, ultimately, it was we the people who benefited. Today’s society is better exactly because of these disclosures.

To quote the Gordon Gekko character in the film Wall Street, “The most valuable commodity I know of is information.”

In the Information Age, our personal information is perhaps the most valuable commodity that we possess, which is why Disney is spending billions to collect it. As consumers, perhaps the most valuable commodity we can receive from Disney is disclosure of what information they intend to collect via MyMagic+ and how they intend to use it.

It’s not too late. In all of the examples I cited, the government acted belatedly to serious issues that existed for decades. The “that ship has sailed” attitude doesn’t hold any water.

The U.S. Government didn’t say the tobacco industry couldn’t sell cigarettes, the automobile industry couldn’t sell cars, or that the food industry couldn’t sell processed foods. Instead, it put in place reasonable limits and required more disclosure to consumers.

Disney doesn’t have to stop “selling” MyMagic+; it only has to more openly disclose its intentions. The best consumer is an informed consumer and, with sufficient information, it will be the market that decides how it feels about MyMagic+.

And that’s the problem. Disney doesn’t want you to decide. They want to decide for you.

Just like the tobacco, automobile, and food industries once did.

Exactly. When you think you know what's best for me & start taking away my ability to make my own informed decisions then I have a problem. A very big problem. Read: Obamacare. Not to get all political because that's typically where I steer clear. Its a forced commerce...penalties for those who opt out. Don't participate in MM+/FP+??? Longer lines for you. Inability to book the most desired ADRs & FP offerings. I'm not down with this on any level. I can't do anything about the forced legislation by our government but I can with this NextGen stuff. I won't go there.

truecoat

No they do not need high tech to do what they do but it can help.

"fired very quickly" = A pedophile worked for Disney for 20+ years before being caught and arrested.

Does not seem "very quickly" to me!

Do you have a link to the story? Did this employee have direct contact with children? That would be a huge factor in him getting caught at work. If a worker has contact with his target group, he has a hard time controlling himself. I work with sex offenders as part of my job and they can hide in plain sight most of the time.

Disney had a horrible time in the 90's with sex offenders due to a lack of background checks but seem to have corrected this after a girl was raped. In the end, they tended to sweep these problems under the rug by firing or transferring but not calling the police.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
lord jesus we're stretching hard now lol

if I was a thief that worked for Disney and had access to rooms... my best bet is to look in ANY of them during the day when people are at the parks, the pools, etc.

also, they know our dining reservations now, without NextGen
No they don't and that's the point you are still missing. The waiter at the restaurant does not know anything about me now. They dont have access to the front desk reservations of even dining reservations. The info is in Disney's system, but not every CM has access to it. There are security controls in place to only allow access to information if they need it to do their job.

tissandtully

Exactly. When you think you know what's best for me & start taking away my ability to make my own informed decisions then I have a problem. A very big problem. Read: Obamacare. Not to get all political because that's typically where I steer clear. Its a forced commerce...penalties for those who opt out. Don't participate in MM+/FP+??? Longer lines for you. Inability to book the most desired ADRs & FP offerings. I'm not down with this on any level. I can't do anything about the forced legislation by our government but I can with this NextGen stuff. I won't go there.

Oh man, I've seen it all now, comparing MM+ to Obamacare. They are totally the same thing. Jesus christ.

sweetpee_1993

Oh man, I've seen it all now, comparing MM+ to Obamacare. They are totally the same thing. Jesus christ.
Way to miss the point.

Didn't say they were same. Only I see a distasteful similarity that makes me uncomfortable. How is it Disney got themselves into such a strange business of data mining, attempts to control their guests choices and movements? I wonder how they arrived here. They were the leaders in the theme park industry. Why here? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom