Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, I give up ...I don't have the time to catch up, so everything before 162 is history to me.

PhotoDave219

True, but we're fat, lazy and largely ignorant as a people these days.

No one questions a damn thing. Instead of the government being afraid of the people, the people are afraid (rightfully so, I'd sadly say) of the government.

I got straight A's in eighth grade Civics. I know that's not how democracies are supposed to function.

In essence we've been under martial law since 9/11. How many people have died since then due to terrorism here? How many have died here in auto accidents since then? How about by gun violence?

Seems to me that if we have to change the very fiber of what makes us Americans to keep us safe then we should all stop driving and autos and guns should all be outlawed by the state. Oh, we're probably going to have to end all consuming of fast food as well. You can't be too safe. Evildoers are everywhere.

Hey, I need that comfort food since my last concussion symptoms. Dear sweet jesus am I tired of my couch.... but anyways

I agree completely. We live in a culture of fear, where everyone is watched. Everything is watched. And if you question the watcher (Like you videotaping the police while theyre videotaping you, for example), you're instantly doing something wrong... just for questioning or aiming for fairness for all. Everything is in the name of "Security" .. and its wrong.

Since 9/11, we've had TWO terrorist attacks - One was the Fort Hood Shooting, committed by a Solider who was supposed to be defending the country and the other was the Boston Bombing - committed by two naturalized american citizens, for reasons we've yet to discover. We have a national publication print an expose on the younger man who survived, trying to explore WHY ON EARTH THIS HAPPENS and the public goes ape over him being on the cover. We pay not attention to the root cause and berate that we're potentially raising a discussion of the issue.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of americans die every year from drunk driving in addition to gun violence, poverty, cancer, and so many other things.

Point being, we're focused on the the wrong things. We're focused on the things that keep us fat, ignorant and happy and as a society, we'll put up with anything as long as we remain fat, ignorant and happy. And if you challenge that, you hate America, freedom, the constitution, apple pie, or whatever.

So most of us try to escape all of that crap that we deal with in the government and society and go to WDW where we dont expect to be treated as just another sucker or exploited for the almighty profit. I have no problem with Disney making a profit; in fact I want them to continue to be successful by reinvesting their profits into the company instead of feeding the coke habits of some wall street investment banker.

So Disney? Two things. 1 - dont data mine me and track me in your parks, Okay? Thats BS and you know it and I know it. 2 - reinvest in your parks so the guests keep coming and someday My kids and my grandkids will want to come there, instead of seeing photos and wondering what it was and getting a sad tale of how it failed.

Captain Neo

All I know is as long as we get Star Wars land and a new imagination pavillion with Dreamfinder and Figment Disney and their partners can have my social security # for all I care.

PhotoDave219

All I know is as long as we get Star Wars land and a new imagination pavillion with Dreamfinder and Figment Disney and their partners can have my social security # for all I care.

Well.... First, they probably already have it. (Relax, theyre not switching you to Geico. Yet.) Second, Star Wars land is an eventuality IMO. Its going to happen, but in what shape, scale, or form, you'll have to ask Lee or someone who knows budgets. If its before 2020, I'll be surprised.

the.dreamfinder

As much as Disney's arrogance in O-Town with NGE and their insistence that UNI isn't a "real" competitor bothers me, their core VALUES are so far away from that of the old frozen dead guy. TWDC seems to not have put up any red flags when Nick "F***s up everything he touches" Franklin and Jay "Agent of Satan" Rasulo pitched this monstrosity back in '08. NGE is the culmination of a decades long shift away from offering QUALITY experiences for guests of all ages where execs no longer take pride in their work unless they get a raise after bumping profits up by sacrificing quality or the ability of its CMs to earn a living wage.

However at the same time taking creative risks, the same kinds of risks that made the Walt Disney Company what it is today, are actively discouraged at P&R (When's the last time a non IP attraction proposal got far in the approval process to be built in a stateside park?) and live action (tent poles everywhere!!). Not to divert the conversation away from Phil Holmes being able to stalk you with his iPad at la casa de Holmes in his PJs, but I think we need to talk about what one film says about TWDC. Over the past couple years, Disney has slowly been distancing itself from Studio Ghibli. From giving up theatrical rights to not even distributing a Pixar produced dub of "From Up On Poppy Hill" domestically, they have given up on one of the most creative studios in the world. But even that really isn't what I want to get at. I want to pose a question to TWDC, do you have the guts to release Miyazaki san's latest "Kaze Tachinu/The Wind Rises" in North America? Can you take a creative risk, albeit small, like those that allow Bob, Jay and Tom to collect millions? Can you actually get ahead of a story and not let your films be attacked by infighting/the media before they even come out? Do you still take pride in doing great work like newly minted Disney Legends Tony Baxter and Glen Keane do?
Just asking

Captain Neo

Well.... First, they probably already have it. (Relax, theyre not switching you to Geico. Yet.) Second, Star Wars land is an eventuality IMO. Its going to happen, but in what shape, scale, or form, you'll have to ask Lee or someone who knows budgets. If its before 2020, I'll be surprised.

lol by 2020 nobody will be going to Walt Disney World if what people have said about Universal are true. I'll be riding harry potter and jurassic park e-tickets and taking a spin on Universal's Monorail expansion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So CarsLand and Star Wars Land have gone to committee to die?

If they die (and SW absolutely won,t, it is coming) then it will all be because of the NGE program, because of the way it eats funds like a government defense contractor deal and because the BoD finally said enough.

If you had told me five years ago that TWDC would be investing over two billion into WDW parks, I likely would have stopped posting on Disney fan forums and been thrilled.

As a stockholder, I feel Iger , Rasulo , and Staggs should have to answer for this boondoggle. They won't, just like no Wall Street banker will ever answer for the economic crisis and neither the prior or current administrations will not answer for their treasonous actions in voiding our Constitutional rights- As a Faux Top One Percenter I am looking and expecting to never have to answer for any transgressions I may have committed or may in the future, including but not limited to making fanbois cry for kicks and stealing Coke from Disney just to pour it on the shrubs.

HMF

Hey, I need that comfort food since my last concussion symptoms. Dear sweet jesus am I tired of my couch.... but anyways

I agree completely. We live in a culture of fear, where everyone is watched. Everything is watched. And if you question the watcher (Like you videotaping the police while theyre videotaping you, for example), you're instantly doing something wrong... just for questioning or aiming for fairness for all. Everything is in the name of "Security" .. and its wrong.

Since 9/11, we've had TWO terrorist attacks - One was the Fort Hood Shooting, committed by a Solider who was supposed to be defending the country and the other was the Boston Bombing - committed by two naturalized american citizens, for reasons we've yet to discover. We have a national publication print an expose on the younger man who survived, trying to explore WHY ON EARTH THIS HAPPENS and the public goes ape over him being on the cover. We pay not attention to the root cause and berate that we're potentially raising a discussion of the issue.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of americans die every year from drunk driving in addition to gun violence, poverty, cancer, and so many other things.

Point being, we're focused on the the wrong things. We're focused on the things that keep us fat, ignorant and happy and as a society, we'll put up with anything as long as we remain fat, ignorant and happy. And if you challenge that, you hate America, freedom, the constitution, apple pie, or whatever.
That is the best description of my problem with modern society. The attitude of people today is basically "turn off your brain and just live for yourself. Don't question anything, just stay with the status quo. Everything any corporation or government does is the best decision, No matter what. Intelligence is frowned upon and some of the brightest people on earth are considered uptight or elitist or are considered "problems" and get put into "Special Education" because our lackluster education system does not know how to nurture their intellectual gifts and want them to be "Normal" rather than celebrating their uniqueness. and of course the biggest insult of all to me is when people claim that life is dependent upon your outlook that if you somehow think positively things will automatically go positive and that any negativity in this world is only in your mind and bad things only happen to those who deserve it and there is nothing you can do about it.
We live in an age where stupidity irrational fear vulnerability and manipulation are considered virtues rather than vices

Last edited:

truecoat

A little late to the party but....

image.jpg

PhotoDave219

If they die (and SW absolutely won,t, it is coming) then it will all be because of the NGE program, because of the way it eats funds like a government defense contractor deal and because the BoD finally said enough.

Ive heard that the NGE budget tends to pay for a bunch of catered lunches.

Captain Neo

If the NGE budget is truely ballooning out of control like you say like in the 3-4 billion range wouldnt they just cut the project and try to salvage what they have? What are they gonna do keep draining funds on it?

PhotoDave219

If the NGE budget is truely ballooning out of control like you say like in the 3-4 billion range wouldnt they just cut the project and try to salvage what they have? What are they gonna do keep draining funds on it?

No, theyre just going to make it work AS IS rather than making it work correctly. (Thats my educated guess based on previous Disney behavior)

sweetpee_1993

OK, I give up ...I don't have the time to catch up, so everything before 162 is history to me.

Welcome to my world. I have a genuine desire to keep up with what goes down on your threads, Spirit-love, but I just can't keep up. You're the popular-est of them all, I guess. I will hover my cursor over the thread, see that there's 20 or 30 pages since the last time I looked, aaaaaand nope. I hope you've not shattered the earth here and I missed it. I would be so crushed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom