Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetpee_1993

First, I knew (like I have ESPN or something) that you were gonna be the next post after my totally unnmadeup post quoting Mrs. Lee and what you were going to say! Scary.

But as to the above, don't you believe that Disney has sorta fostered an environment where folks feel so gouged, so nickel and dimed that the human response is to try and get back at the Mouse somehow? Sure, there were scammers 30 years ago who would fake an injury, but the GAC abuse, the soda thievery, the avoiding parking, the shoplifting even ...do you see that as the natural result when a beloved company becomes an Evil Queen?

I don't see or hear of folks trying to pull the stuff at UNI or SW or BGT that always happens at WDW.

Is this chicken and egg? Or is this the result of when people feel they're getting taken and they want a little something back?

You just described my brother to some extent. He will try to squeeze every last bit out of anything. Not entirely terrible because it has it's uses but he's found lots of little ways to exploit little bits around WDW. Whereas I sit back and ask, "Why bother?" he finds entertainment value in the fact he can do it. So, yeah, absolutely Disney has fostered an environment that screams for people to extract their own extras.

PhotoDave219

First, I knew (like I have ESPN or something) that you were gonna be the next post after my totally unnmadeup post quoting Mrs. Lee and what you were going to say! Scary.

But as to the above, don't you believe that Disney has sorta fostered an environment where folks feel so gouged, so nickel and dimed that the human response is to try and get back at the Mouse somehow? Sure, there were scammers 30 years ago who would fake an injury, but the GAC abuse, the soda thievery, the avoiding parking, the shoplifting even ...do you see that as the natural result when a beloved company becomes an Evil Queen?

I don't see or hear of folks trying to pull the stuff at UNI or SW or BGT that always happens at WDW.

Is this chicken and egg? Or is this the result of when people feel they're getting taken and they want a little something back?

Of course I was going to go for the joke.... Thats like a moth running to the flame. And God help me when I meet Mrs. Lee... I might be a gelding afterwards....

I do feel nickled and dimed to death from the mouse, but its more then that: its all the hoops guests have to jump through. Addressing parking specifically; I just want to run into MK for 2 or 3 hours. I dont want to stay all day, I dont want to waste an hour on a bus. I want to park at the contemp, walk over, see friends, spend money and walk back to my car. Soda theivery? Not so much But i get it - a soft beverage costs somwhere between 2.25-2.50 and its FLORIDA, its insanely hot. GAC abuse? I dont do it personally (but between my knee, back and head I could get one easily) but we wait in so many lines, I get why. Hell, NextGen's RFID turnstyles were supposed to speed up the lines but they send all the guests to those turnstyles, RDIF or not. Then most guests dont understand how to use them. Lines back up when all I want to do is just go through them; compare it to the lines at the airport. Professional travelers know how to go through the security line quickly, those that dont have a clue just slow everything down - same thing here.

I think if Disney treated the guests as if they weren't just a giant dollar sign, they wouldnt be looking to try to save a buck or take advantage. Guests jump through a Lot of hoops - Dining reservations 180 days out, slow bus transportation, lines lines lines everywhere. Plus no one explains anyone unless youre lucky enough to get a helpful and knowledgeable cast member that will tell you the right answer rather than sending you in the wrong direction. A ridiculous amount of scheduling and no reliable way to be transported on that schedule. Add in 95 degree heat and they get ed in a hurry.

Also, Universal puts up with less (pooh!) from the guests. They tresspass in a hurry.

luv

I generally like data mining. It get me coupons for things I want coupons for. If I want something and look at it online, google ads will show up and I can then buy it clicking through here and then the site makes a few pennies.

Plus, they often recommend stuff, which I like a lot. Sometimes, they'll base it off a gift I bought for someone else and miss the mark, but other times I see it say, "Ooh! I want that!" Especially in iTunes! Yes! I want "Copacabana!" :D

There are upsides to data mining.

PhotoDave219

Dave, I say this with a huge amount of ego (healthy, of course), but nobody could possibly have my style!

I thought you'd like that. Next time you'll have to get your old friend to come over and have a few drinks instead of dining of ribs at Whispering Canyon....

PhotoDave219

I generally like data mining. It get me coupons for things I want coupons for. If I want something and look at it online, google ads will show up and I can then buy it clicking through here and then the site makes a few pennies.

Plus, they often recommend stuff, which I like a lot. Sometimes, they'll base it off a gift I bought for someone else and miss the mark, but other times I see it say, "Ooh! I want that!" Especially in iTunes! Yes! I want "Copacabana!" :D

There are upsides to data mining.

Theres an upside to Copacabana? Hell hath no fury like Manilow.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A little late to the party but....

image.jpg

Well, Lee ate all the pizza, Dave drank every last bottle and the Imagineers took the 'special' fanbois upstairs to tell them the tale of the Great Western River Expedition (at least they told them that they would be getting wet on the ride!) :D:D Yes, he did!

PhotoDave219

I do not really want to have this discussion here, even if my big mouth started it! I do think that when the folks at the highest levels of the government are taking powers they were never supposed to have, doing it cloaked in secret and using the guise of 'we're at war' with the evildoers as an excuse, an individual has every moral and ethical right (some might say it is demanded) to seek light for what is kept in the dark.

Using the fact terrorists exist and would like to harm innocents to take away basic freedoms and rights that we hold so dear is evil. Pure and simple. Once power like that is taken from the people it is damn near impossible to get it back. But I'd rather discuss the evil in TWDC!!!

You know, next time We enjoy a beverage together, we need to continue this conversation. I'm not going to entertain the NSA online but the Patriot act is what has allowed the military industrial complex to completely usurp the constitution.... and certain companies and contractors have gotten filthy rich and no one is accountable....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Welcome to my world. I have a genuine desire to keep up with what goes down on your threads, Spirit-love, but I just can't keep up. You're the popular-est of them all, I guess. I will hover my cursor over the thread, see that there's 20 or 30 pages since the last time I looked, aaaaaand nope. I hope you've not shattered the earth here and I missed it. I would be so crushed!

Before tonight, I had barely been on MAGIC for quite a few days and yet the posts keep coming (think of Newman talking about the mail on Seinfeld) ...at some point, you just have to enter the discussion where you can.

BTW, you still thinking about cruising the Canal next spring?

sweetpee_1993

Before tonight, I had barely been on MAGIC for quite a few days and yet the posts keep coming (think of Newman talking about the mail on Seinfeld) ...at some point, you just have to enter the discussion where you can.

BTW, you still thinking about cruising the Canal next spring?

Oh hell yeah. It's still on the books. Should be cruise #8 for me but could end up being #9. Apparently I like sea salt mixed in with my pixie dust to snort. :cautious:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, will you devote a chapter of your book to EPCOT Center nostalgia?

If I ever write it, absolutely.

I will have to devote a chapter to fanboi wall carpeting love, the taboo must be explored!

But, seriously, as someone who was at EPCOT Center from opening, actually before, it sorta amuses me and ticks me off to see children acting like they are experts on the subject. While one can learn about history, nothing compares to living it. But I am now proposing a PB&J hot wrassling match on the Poly beach between The Epcot Explorer and the Epcot Encyclopedia. Foxy can officiate if she(he?) opts to come out of hiding. We'd just have to keep Michael CrAwford from eating the PB&J first. Yes, I have given up on Tommy Corless. He bores me as much as Brigante these days. He's lost his fire.

Oh, winner gets a $200 eBay gift card to buy useless EPCOT guides from 1987, the rest of the money hoes to a fine charity ...and I know a Charity and she is MIGHTY FINE!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anything???? Interesting..... Shall we explore subject matter for another chapter in the book? Come lay down on the couch and lets talk.... ;)

Sure, but I saw the word spanked in your next post and my mind just went ...well ...it is 3:20 a.m. And I am closing out my worst day of 2013.

Usually only fanbois are into the spanking but ..wait, did I just jump to a fun conclusion?Damn, I am a dirty old Spirit!

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Sure, but I saw the word spanked in your next post and my mind just went ...well ...it is 3:20 a.m. And I am closing out my worst day of 2013.

Usually only fanbois are into the spanking but ..wait, sid I just jump to a fun conclusion?Damn, I am a dirty old Spirit!

Fun conclusion. I'm on that page. :angelic: I think you just touched on a subject worthy of exploration in your book: intensity. Nothing off limits as long as it nets the desired level of intensity. I believe you may have referred to this in the past as fanaticism, now commonly referred to as the "fanboi" factor. Definitely also descriptive of the types of personalities who do nothing just a little. If they take interest in something it's to a whole new level....seeking out that intensity. Just described me. ;)

Sorry about your worst day of 2013. If it makes you feel any better, I think I had my best nap of 2013 which explains why I'm up at 2:30 in the morning with no sleep in sight.

HMF

Hope things improve for you Spirit, I cannot emphasize enough how important what you do here is. You can put into words certain things about WDW and culture in general that really get to the heart of the matter compared to the usual back and forth hyperbole that has become too common in our modern world.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I thought you'd like that. Next time you'll have to get your old friend to come over and have a few drinks instead of dining of ribs at Whispering Canyon....

Yes, the situation would have been handled differently in hindsight. But there will be other opportunities, I hAve little doubt.

sweetpee_1993

Hope things improve for you Spirit, I cannot emphasize enough how important what you do here is. You can put into words certain things about WDW and culture in general that really get to the heart of the matter compared to the usual back and forth hyperbole that has become too common in our modern world.

Ditto. A friend & I did a little chatting just the other day and mention of our common friend, '74, came up. Spirit says it like it is, no sugar-coating. Honest. Honest isn't something you find everyday. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom