Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunnerEd

BUT, the devices -- the iPad and iPhone based ones -- have 'menued' or tiered options allowing the CM to select any information within the NGE portfolio Disney has generated on you. Yes, by design, this includes where you are from, who you are traveling with, even where the system has detected you as having visited and where your next stop is supposed to be. All of this is supposed to make your experience all the more personal.

Right now, and on the devices I was privy to, you could find information that went well beyond the individual and the 'need-to-know' level at the location. You can find out not just the details of Guest XYZ's present trip, but the system appears to have integrated 'knowledge' of your 'relationship' with TWDC. There are fields for information to further enhance identification and further profile you.

This is not, to my experience, nearly a fully operational system though. For example, the options or fields/screens for additional information were not (are not?) active yet. At least, on the hardware presented to me, they weren't. As well, this kind of access, now available to any CM with a device and the ability to maximize its present usability, must be restricted when this is formally introduced to the consumer -- to the guest.

That level of information is stored on classified networks when it deals with US Military units serving overseas. When I'm there, I'm glad it's classified. If that is truly the scope that they are trying to achieve, I'm now considering putting my DVC points up for sale. That's truly frightening. Has anyone in the state or federal government looked into this except that one Congressman?

Lee

Adventurer
OK, let's attempt to get serious again.

Disney is not evil. (Bob Iger may well be, but that's another story for another thread at another time.)

Sure, criticize NGE as you like, I sure do, but to say TWDC longs to truly place you and your family in a 'cybercuff' is pretty close to ridiculous. Right?

What isn't so clear though is where the boundaries for this initiative actually lie. Or, if there are any 'boundaries' with regard to data collection and control of your vacation experience once at WDW. That's where it is not only ripe for questioning, it's the responsible thing, the prudent thing to do.

It's simple. The bottom line is information can be dangerous. Information, unchecked by those in the know and unchallenged by the consumer that makes its way into undesired channels, can be misleading, misguided and driven to false interpretation. At WDW, it could also lead not merely to financial but physical vulnerability. Actual, serious, real world danger.

And, no, wishes, trust and Pixie Dust will not protect you.

Remember something, unlike Google or those 'loyalty' programs discussed, NGE has been built to TARGET AND PROFILE specific individuals. Here, every -- individual -- 'guest' in Orlando. Everyone at WDW.

Not just Mom. Or Dad. Or Uncle Lou and Auntie Sue. Everyone. Sorry, no exceptions, no exclusions, no substitutions and no opting out. Not, that is, if you want to actually do anything beyond hand TWDC your hard earned money and get to experience the amazing new (ask @TalkingHead) toilets all over property.

I welcome, in that Spirited way, questions or provocative posts by fellow posters (@flynnibus this certainly includes you and I owe you a note, which hopefully will come this weekend) who may know more about the technical aspects of this program because they work in the field. This forces me to go back and review certain items/documents/aspects applying the lens these posters suggest is needed. They are right.
But understand this as well.

While this is not the front page of the New York Times, I'm kind of beholden to standards higher than what one might typically find on a fan forum. As you all know well, too well, I like to vet material as thoroughly as possible and am hesitant to post without a near-certainty that the information I have is accurate. Especially when it is very important ... whether Pizza Planet or Mama Melrose's is going to become the Star Wars Cantina isn't quite as important (besides, as we all know, Trek beats Wars on so many levels!!!)

As many folks have requested more information on it, my experience with the frontline hardware on the CM side was limited but telling. Also, to be clear, this was provided in plain sight and in the front of the house. Obviously, I have no intention of telling you where, when or whom allowed me to play, just that a Spirited pal in the management ranks. But play I did ... what follows is as close to a blow by blow (no fanboi/Imagineer jokes here, please ... but you can think them) description of how some of the tech is set up to work ... it is 100% accurate unless George Kalogridis a lot smarter than I take him to be (and I do know the man) and he punked me knowing that I'd run to my MAGICal family and tell tales. So ...

The Apple-based technology used by the servers in restaurants is awkward and unnecessarily 'clunky'...The front desk/retail outlet terminals combined with the iPads are also needlessly cumbersome in practice. What should make things easier (that is the purpose, right?) seems to do the opposite. Guess they need to spend $4 billion.

It sure appears that the designers wanted the objects to be both functional and symbolic. We've seen that with the gateless system already in use at the parks.

As for time savings and ease of use, that is absolutely false. In fact, for most transactions, using the NGE technology adds several extra (needless?) steps. Should those steps be eliminated, you're still required to have another form of identification and payment "for verification." (This walletless BS is just that. As of now, according to the agreement you accept, Disney requires the aforementioned upon demand.)

Here's an example of paying for a table service meal with your MAGIC band:

1) server 'wakes' the device from its power-save mode;

2) server unlocks the device;

3) server alerts the device to either begin a new check or retrieve an existing one;

4) server then retrieves your check through a manual input;

5) server verifies check with customer;

6) server 'mates' the device with payment form -- your band;

7) server has you enter your PIN;

8) server manually walks the device to a register/terminal where a "unique" barcode is scanned from the handheld to that register or terminal;

9) server waits for the two devices to sync and deliver a printed receipt;

10) server brings the receipt to you for you to adjust/review...add the gratuity...and...finally, you sign and walk away -- transaction completed all in ten easy steps that ensures the next E-Ticket at the MK will come after UNI's third gate debuts.

Now, if that's efficiency at work to you, great. For me, a simple swipe of a KTTW or credit card always worked or a few green bills took care of it. Not anymore. Not with NextGen.

Without detailing the guts of the devices, as that's proprietary as Disney modified these existing Apple tech products, you -- the CM with the handheld device -- have access to that guest's itinerary. Important distinction here though, when running a typical charge you would likely only see the MAGIC band holder's identifiers. You're even prompted to refer to the guest by his or her first name (again, before, I suppose, it was just too hard to read that information from a card...)

BUT, the devices -- the iPad and iPhone based ones -- have 'menued' or tiered options allowing the CM to select any information within the NGE portfolio Disney has generated on you. Yes, by design, this includes where you are from, who you are traveling with, even where the system has detected you as having visited and where your next stop is supposed to be. All of this is supposed to make your experience all the more personal.

Right now, and on the devices I was privy to, you could find information that went well beyond the individual and the 'need-to-know' level at the location. You can find out not just the details of Guest XYZ's present trip, but the system appears to have integrated 'knowledge' of your 'relationship' with TWDC. There are fields for information to further enhance identification and further profile you.

This is not, to my experience, nearly a fully operational system though. For example, the options or fields/screens for additional information were not (are not?) active yet. At least, on the hardware presented to me, they weren't. As well, this kind of access, now available to any CM with a device and the ability to maximize its present usability, must be restricted when this is formally introduced to the consumer -- to the guest.

(Even then, there's some basis for concern given the product and the sheer number of people who will have open access.)

I have some more information on 'the guts' that cannot be published. Yet, anyhow. (More because there is no way of knowing IF this WILL EVER be functioning or functional than any other reason.)

As to the many comments, again, whether you agree/disagree/like/dislike, I welcome the commentary. It provokes thought, it promotes needed conversation on the topics involved.

That said, it is important to note that there's a troubling undercurrent -- a thread that runs through this entire project -- at play here. It's almost as though "tracking" is simply not sufficient to explain properly the aim/goal/mandate of NGE.

More, it is stalking. No, not in the some-guy-in-the-shadows way. But stalking just the same.
In that unlike tracking, NGE is less about seeking out what you want to do and more about predicting and 'suggesting' -- if not outright forcing you into or dictating -- certain experiences and/or behavior.

To me, that's a worrisome threshold to cross. One of many with this project.

And, after reading, in particular the comments of @danlb_2000 and @flynnibus, I reviewed everything I'd already poured over. It has me wondering why everything is so bathed in manufacturer-like, profoundly depersonalized terminology. I first thought I was just technically challenged by an over-reliance on acronyms. Then, I checked this stuff another time.

Many of the acronyms are from the world of huge contractors and governmental agencies.

Not entertainment companies.

But, more importantly, there's a complete void of discussion on cost, impact, yield, return...There's just nothing discussing the financial realities of developing a program -- any kind of program. Instead, it's all about "engagement" ... "deploying" ... "employing" ...and maximizing "scale" ... "site"... the "unique environment" ... the "venue" ...

I'm almost inclined to wonder if TWDC is a client here. That Disney is working on this for another company or companies as well as itself (?). There was a major shift with NGE that took hold in the summer of 2010. That's when Disney moved sharply from relying on contractors to hiring away those contractors under dubious titles with scary-strong IT backgrounds. Disney also brought aboard a cadre of new 'experts' on data collection, warehousing and systems integration from the non-corporate world.

Then again, we have a company that has removed the gates from the entrances to its four main parks. You really can't do that. You just can't.

Well, you can't do that unless your plans for NGE and its techno-reach goes far deeper than we have begun to discuss.

Having said that, I still think the idea of presenting Mickey as an overlord with cybercuffs on his minions -- oops, I mean Pixie Dusters -- is off. Maybe not ridiculous to consider, but still awfully close. NOT close enough to ignore though.
I find myself sort of waiting to have that "Oh, we'll that's not so bad..." moment with NextGen.

It hasn't happened.

And what with Spirit's post and the FP+ news from earlier...it just keeps getting worse.:(

I'll have further comment when I'm more awake.
For now...just...ugh...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you really believe that, then you're ignoring 205 members of the House of Representatives. The only reason tighter reigns weren't placed on the NSA was because of a lot of last-minute lobbying by both President Obama and Republication leadership. Before that, the vote was going to go the other way. It was a very close vote.

In most polls, the public rejects the NSA's wholesale collection of data by more than 2-to-1.

Therefore, if you "truthfully" believe Disney coming completely clean on its intentions to monitor and collect data on its "guests" would have no significant (word added for @Tim_4 ;)) impact on its business, then I'm not sure your "truth" is based on facts.

So true. When both sides of the aisle agree on something it's either VERY, VERY, VERY BAD (Patriot Act, TSA formation, using the word Homeland) or it's to try and right something very wrong.

BTW, if my screen flashes like someone is taking an image capture every time I type something, what do you techies think is transpiring?

Last edited:

tirian

Disney is not evil. (Bob Iger may well be, but that's another story for another thread at another time.)

Many of the acronyms are from the world of huge contractors and governmental agencies.

But, more importantly, there's a complete void of discussion on cost, impact, yield, return...There's just nothing discussing the financial realities of developing a program -- any kind of program. Instead, it's all about "engagement" ... "deploying" ... "employing" ...and maximizing "scale" ... "site"... the "unique environment" ... the "venue" ...

I'm almost inclined to wonder if TWDC is a client here. That Disney is working on this for another company or companies as well as itself (?). There was a major shift with NGE that took hold in the summer of 2010. That's when Disney moved sharply from relying on contractors to hiring away those contractors under dubious titles with scary-strong IT backgrounds. Disney also brought aboard a cadre of new 'experts' on data collection, warehousing and systems integration from the non-corporate world.

Then again, we have a company that has removed the gates from the entrances to its four main parks. You really can't do that. You just can't.

Well, you can't do that unless your plans for NGE and its techno-reach goes far deeper than we have begun to discuss.

They could make it easier on APs and give Pixie Dusters the opportunity to have a Mickey Mouse-shaped chip permanently implanted in their foreheads or palms. Each code could begin with "666." ;)

In all seriousness, however, I am surprised more leaks haven't come out, especially with the warehouse of IT nerds constantly trying to debug the code to make this all work.

tirian

So tried. When both sides of the aisle agree on something it's either VERY, VERY, VERY BAD (Patriot Act, TSA formation, using the word Homeland) or it's to try and right something very wrong.

BTW, if my screen flashes like someone is taking an image capture every time I type something, what do you techies think is transpiring?

Key logging or hoping you'll type the recipe to your famous pot brownies...

PhotoDave219

So tried. When both sides of the aisle agree on something it's either VERY, VERY, VERY BAD (Patriot Act, TSA formation, using the word Homeland) or it's to try and right something very wrong.

Thats been happening to me a lot too when a new page loads. (OSx 10.7.5, Chrome)

Makes me wonder.....

PhotoDave219

Debt of Honor/Sum of All Fears were my favorite Clancy's. I still believe that his solution to the Middle East "peace process" in Sum of All Fears could work if implemented. Goodness knows, nothing else has.

Ya know, I like that idea too. At this point it has to be worth a try. I did like that idea.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh yeah, I see Lee has been talking about the fact that if you don't book ahead, you have no access to FP+.

Anyone still want to defend it?

You do know the execs at Comcast are literally ROTFLTFAO over this NGE, right?

You think Comcast execs are somehow dumber than Disney...that they can't see the future of theme parks and the company that brought you Disco Yeti, Stitch's Great Belch-off, and is selling off Walt's land faster than a fanboi gets off his Spidey boxers when an Imagineer gets him in a supply closet somehow really is on top of the business?

Magenta Panther

Sure, criticize NGE as you like, I sure do, but to say TWDC longs to truly place you and your family in a 'cybercuff' is pretty close to ridiculous. Right?

What isn't so clear though is where the boundaries for this initiative actually lie. Or, if there are any 'boundaries' with regard to data collection and control of your vacation experience once at WDW. That's where it is not only ripe for questioning, it's the responsible thing, the prudent thing to do.

It's simple. The bottom line is information can be dangerous. Information, unchecked by those in the know and unchallenged by the consumer that makes its way into undesired channels, can be misleading, misguided and driven to false interpretation. At WDW, it could also lead not merely to financial but physical vulnerability. Actual, serious, real world danger.

And, no, wishes, trust and Pixie Dust will not protect you.

Remember something, unlike Google or those 'loyalty' programs discussed, NGE has been built to TARGET AND PROFILE specific individuals. Here, every -- individual -- 'guest' in Orlando. Everyone at WDW.

Not just Mom. Or Dad. Or Uncle Lou and Auntie Sue. Everyone. Sorry, no exceptions, no exclusions, no substitutions and no opting out. Not, that is, if you want to actually do anything beyond hand TWDC your hard earned money and get to experience the amazing new (ask @TalkingHead) toilets all over property.

I welcome, in that Spirited way, questions or provocative posts by fellow posters (@flynnibus this certainly includes you and I owe you a note, which hopefully will come this weekend) who may know more about the technical aspects of this program because they work in the field. This forces me to go back and review certain items/documents/aspects applying the lens these posters suggest is needed. They are right.
But understand this as well.

While this is not the front page of the New York Times, I'm kind of beholden to standards higher than what one might typically find on a fan forum. As you all know well, too well, I like to vet material as thoroughly as possible and am hesitant to post without a near-certainty that the information I have is accurate. Especially when it is very important ... whether Pizza Planet or Mama Melrose's is going to become the Star Wars Cantina isn't quite as important (besides, as we all know, Trek beats Wars on so many levels!!!)

As many folks have requested more information on it, my experience with the frontline hardware on the CM side was limited but telling. Also, to be clear, this was provided in plain sight and in the front of the house. Obviously, I have no intention of telling you where, when or whom allowed me to play, just that a Spirited pal in the management ranks. But play I did ... what follows is as close to a blow by blow (no fanboi/Imagineer jokes here, please ... but you can think them) description of how some of the tech is set up to work ... it is 100% accurate unless George Kalogridis a lot smarter than I take him to be (and I do know the man) and he punked me knowing that I'd run to my MAGICal family and tell tales. So ...

The Apple-based technology used by the servers in restaurants is awkward and unnecessarily 'clunky'...The front desk/retail outlet terminals combined with the iPads are also needlessly cumbersome in practice. What should make things easier (that is the purpose, right?) seems to do the opposite. Guess they need to spend $4 billion.

It sure appears that the designers wanted the objects to be both functional and symbolic. We've seen that with the gateless system already in use at the parks.

As for time savings and ease of use, that is absolutely false. In fact, for most transactions, using the NGE technology adds several extra (needless?) steps. Should those steps be eliminated, you're still required to have another form of identification and payment "for verification." (This walletless BS is just that. As of now, according to the agreement you accept, Disney requires the aforementioned upon demand.)

Here's an example of paying for a table service meal with your MAGIC band:

1) server 'wakes' the device from its power-save mode;

2) server unlocks the device;

3) server alerts the device to either begin a new check or retrieve an existing one;

4) server then retrieves your check through a manual input;

5) server verifies check with customer;

6) server 'mates' the device with payment form -- your band;

7) server has you enter your PIN;

8) server manually walks the device to a register/terminal where a "unique" barcode is scanned from the handheld to that register or terminal;

9) server waits for the two devices to sync and deliver a printed receipt;

10) server brings the receipt to you for you to adjust/review...add the gratuity...and...finally, you sign and walk away -- transaction completed all in ten easy steps that ensures the next E-Ticket at the MK will come after UNI's third gate debuts.

Now, if that's efficiency at work to you, great. For me, a simple swipe of a KTTW or credit card always worked or a few green bills took care of it. Not anymore. Not with NextGen.

Without detailing the guts of the devices, as that's proprietary as Disney modified these existing Apple tech products, you -- the CM with the handheld device -- have access to that guest's itinerary. Important distinction here though, when running a typical charge you would likely only see the MAGIC band holder's identifiers. You're even prompted to refer to the guest by his or her first name (again, before, I suppose, it was just too hard to read that information from a card...)

(Even then, there's some basis for concern given the product and the sheer number of people who will have open access.)

I have some more information on 'the guts' that cannot be published. Yet, anyhow. (More because there is no way of knowing IF this WILL EVER be functioning or functional than any other reason.)

As to the many comments, again, whether you agree/disagree/like/dislike, I welcome the commentary. It provokes thought, it promotes needed conversation on the topics involved.

That said, it is important to note that there's a troubling undercurrent -- a thread that runs through this entire project -- at play here. It's almost as though "tracking" is simply not sufficient to explain properly the aim/goal/mandate of NGE.

More, it is stalking. No, not in the some-guy-in-the-shadows way. But stalking just the same.
In that unlike tracking, NGE is less about seeking out what you want to do and more about predicting and 'suggesting' -- if not outright forcing you into or dictating -- certain experiences and/or behavior.

To me, that's a worrisome threshold to cross. One of many with this project.

And, after reading, in particular the comments of @danlb_2000 and @flynnibus, I reviewed everything I'd already poured over. It has me wondering why everything is so bathed in manufacturer-like, profoundly depersonalized terminology. I first thought I was just technically challenged by an over-reliance on acronyms. Then, I checked this stuff another time.

Having said that, I still think the idea of presenting Mickey as an overlord with cybercuffs on his minions -- oops, I mean Pixie Dusters -- is off. Maybe not ridiculous to consider, but still awfully close. NOT close enough to ignore though.

I'm one of those people who have Norton, Spybot, MalwareBytes, Do Not Track Me, etc. etc etc on my computer, because I deeply resent being tracked across the web. My dislike of being electronically stalked extends to WDW as well. I will NOT wear one of those creepy bands on my next visit to WDW. I've got my dinner reservations already booked, and as for Fastpass, I'll just grab a paper ticket and take my chances.

Iger is indeed evil, in a corporately non-hostile sort of way. He's one of those villains who thinks he's a good guy, and that he's doing the best thing for everybody. The results of his good works were painfully obvious at D23, judging by the pictures I've seen. It made me sick to see Tony Baxter joined on stage for his Disney Legends award by Dreamfinder, Figment...and Darth Vader. A more ridiculous, tragic, laughable (or maybe cry-able) moment in Disney history could scarcely be imagined...

Magenta Panther

Well. thats good to know. But its not like Im doing anything illegal... like smuggling panda into the US.

On that note, @Lee was there any truth ever to the rumors of trying to get Pandas for DAK? Because that would be an attraction that would revitalize DAK.

Meh. Pandas. Seen one, you've seen them all. Seriously, there are zoos that already have pandas. What DAK needs are more attractions. I'd rather have Fire Mountain or Quest for the Unicorn than a panda any day.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can say with some confidence that nobody, '74 included, has an issue with Disney making a profit. He simply disagrees with their methodology, as do I.

I will gladly contribute to a company's profit if I feel like I'm getting something (enough) in return. Disney is just doing it the sneaky way, while Uni is enticing me to spend money to experience newer and better attractions.

That is the way to do it.

Thanks. I do like it when someone here expresses my feelings that they actually do so accurately. Of course, you have no agenda in trying to distort my views.

Please tell Mrs. Lee I have no idea what she means when she says you can't hit the target!

SJFPKT

Thats been happening to me a lot too when a new page loads. (OSx 10.7.5, Chrome)

Makes me wonder.....

I can tell you for 100% that iOS takes random screen shots of your activity. I see it all the time when I am doing forensics on a iPhone. So it wouldn't surprise me that the same technology is built in to MacOS. I will have to grab one or the Apples down at the office and throw it in to EnCase and see what I see. I just don't do a lot of forensic work on Apple laptops or desktops to have checked.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And yet the population does absolutely nothing about it. I think that was his point...

True, but we're fat, lazy and largely ignorant as a people these days.

No one questions a damn thing. Instead of the government being afraid of the people, the people are afraid (rightfully so, I'd sadly say) of the government.

I got straight A's in eighth grade Civics. I know that's not how democracies are supposed to function.

In essence we've been under martial law since 9/11. How many people have died since then due to terrorism here? How many have died here in auto accidents since then? How about by gun violence?

Seems to me that if we have to change the very fiber of what makes us Americans to keep us safe then we should all stop driving and autos and guns should all be outlawed by the state. Oh, we're probably going to have to end all consuming of fast food as well. You can't be too safe. Evildoers are everywhere.

PhotoDave219

I can tell you for 100% that iOS takes random screen shots of your activity. I see it all the time when I am doing forensics on a iPhone. So it wouldn't surprise me that the same technology is built in to MacOS. I will have to grab one or the Apples down at the office and throw it in to EnCase and see what I see. I just don't do a lot of forensic work on Apple laptops or desktops to have checked.

Sounds like you do interesting things.

Good thing I dont do anything Illegal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom