Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You mean the point where we've maxed out the number of Disney fans willing to shell out $7k for a week at Disney? (Thats the number circulated I've heard that it costs, including transportation for a family of 4 to come here)

I think we've reached that point.

We should have reached that point a long time ago. How many of the people shelling out $7K can really afford it? What percentage throw it on a credit card and forget about it? I fully agree that $7K is insane for a 1 week vacation, but people still keep coming back. Room occupancy numbers haven't fallen off significantly and still hover around 80%. Sure, they play with the numbers by taking inventory offline or offering deep discounts on blocks of rooms, but people are still for the most part paying the prices. I really think this is what contributed to the whole NextGen mentality of get more cash from the guests you have. They keep jacking up prices on everything and people keep paying it.

djlaosc

Oh, they have...
That's the reason behind enabling/forcing all guests to manage their entire vacation through MM+, booking all their meals and fastpasses months in advance, planning everything down to the last second. It's a virtual ball and chain to keep people on property.

It's not going to work for everyone though.

We planned our last holiday down to what we were doing each day, and we will be planning our next holiday down to the day as well.

This is how we are probably going to plan our 2014 Holiday (Nov/Dec 2014).

1 - SeaWorld - Only has 1 night that will have the entire Christmas Spectacular on, so will go then.
2 - Universal - want to go roughly in the middle of the holiday - staying overnight
3 - Candlelight Processional - who do we want to see?
4 - MVMCP - only on certain nights
5 - Things the car would be needed for (Malls, CSI, Ice at Gaylord Palms, Celebration) - reduce car hire number of days
6 - Disney Tours (looking at The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour/Behind the Seeds)
7 - Typhoon Lagoon - if warm enough, would replace what would be planned.
8 - Disney Mini Golf - free before 4pm
9 - Disney Hotel Christmas Decorations/Osborne Lights (if still on)
10 - Disney Extra Magic Hours (if still on)
11 - Walt Disney World Parks - probably going to be at least one of the parks at some point during a day (apart from when we visit SeaWorld/Universal)

The thing about our plan is - apart from #1, #2, #3, #4, #6, everything else is moveable - if we wake up on the day and want to do something else, you just switch those two days. The plan is basically there to make sure that you get to see what you want to see while your there, even if it wasn't on the days that you had originally planned it for. On our last holiday - every Sunday was completely changed on the day, and things were moved around, but we still got to see what we wanted to see.

ADRs and FastPass+ reservations will not suddenly move #11 up to #1 - we're not going to stop doing any of the other stuff just because we've got a change to get a FP+ reservation for Stitch's Great Escape.

Funmeister

BREAKING NEWS FROM D23!

WDW Jungle Cruise is getting a major refurb and re-named "The Jungle Crate Cruise"

Star Tours getting a new profile and name change to "Crate Tours"

AVATAR PLANS RELEASED! Guests will sit in a cubicle with memorabilia from a fake Pandora expedition.

Journey into Imagi-CRATEtion? Get ready! It's coming!

Oh...can't forget Mater and friends in Crateland. You will get to ride in real wooden crates pulled by characters from the film.

Crate Mountain...The Haunted Cratetion...Swiss Family Cratehouse...the list goes on...GOD I LOVE MAGIC!!!!!!!!

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Agreed. We don't spend enough on merchandise, Photopass and character meals.

The only adults they want are with conventions. That's where the money is.
That pendulum swings both ways.
When Hubby and/or Sister-in-law and I do Disney without kids, we still do character meals (including CRT), we still get PhotoPass (Plus!), and then I feel so guilty for leaving the boys at home that I buy them waaaaay more than I would have if they were with us. Also, no kids, means we can book a KTTK tour.

JenniferS

Premium Member
We should have reached that point a long time ago. How many of the people shelling out $7K can really afford it? What percentage throw it on a credit card and forget about it? I fully agree that $7K is insane for a 1 week vacation, but people still keep coming back. Room occupancy numbers haven't fallen off significantly and still hover around 80%. Sure, they play with the numbers by taking inventory offline or offering deep discounts on blocks of rooms, but people are still for the most part paying the prices. I really think this is what contributed to the whole NextGen mentality of get more cash from the guests you have. They keep jacking up prices on everything and people keep paying it.
Heading to WDW at the end of September. Me, SIL, and another brother's 12 year old son.

9 nights/10 days at POP; with free quick service dining (paid to upgrade to regular dining); 10 day Park Hopper passes - $2860.
Direct return flights from Buffalo - just under $1200.
Rental Car - $160 + $40/gas
Breakfast for three at CRT - $160.
Approx. cost of water, Gatorade and snacks from Publix - <$40.
Table Service Tips - $150
Mousekeeping Tips - $50

That's approx. $3700 for 3 for 10 days. And tecnically, we really don't need to spend another cent.

That's getting up there, sure, but still doable for a once/year trip. We always go during Free Dining because that saves us a lot of money.
Heck, it costs $3000+ for Hubby and I to go to an all-inclusive Caribbean resort every February (for one week) and I seldom care for the food, and am a total non-drinker.

For me, WDW is still affordable and enjoyable. When it ceases to be either, I will stop going.

ParentsOf4

Thought for future discussion...what is the possibility that the public could reach saturation point and this whole thing completely blow out on them. What if it has the opposite affect. Isn't that possible? Just for an example, I have nothing to back this up other then what I think, there are more people that stay offsite then onsite. (just thinking about numbers in parks as opposed to numbers of rooms available on site) Couldn't that cause more to stay offsite due to mind boggling planning requirements then not. Even if they offered more perks to those onsite, isn't there a point of diminishing returns for customers just as well as there is for providers?
NextGen easily could blow up in corporate Disney's face; that's why the recent low participation rate in FP+ prebookings has scared "Team MyMagic+". :eek:

The NextGen initiative was conceived at a time when Universal was something of a joke, when Universal offered little real competition. Essentially, WDW was a monopoly in Orlando and could operate as such. That meant Disney executives could devise an elaborate strategy to generate much higher prices with little fear of repercussions.

That changed in 2010 with the opening of WWOHP. Suddenly, it was Universal with the buzz. New tourists were flocking into Orlando, not with WDW as a primary destination but with Harry Potter on the brain. Suddenly Disney's monopolistic price discrimination strategy didn't look so good. If threatened with higher prices, Orlando tourists might actually take their vacation dollars elsewhere. But when you've already invested several hundred million into a program, you try to convince yourself that competition is transitory; just a flash in the pan. You arrogantly move forward with your plans because, well, you're Disney! :greedy:

However, instead of being a momentary bump in the road, Universal has turned into real competition, especially with anyone over 54" tall. Uni keeps investing in brick-and-mortar attractions while WDW plays around with a system requiring "guests" to study an encyclopedia and book their "experiences" 60 days in advance.

With Diagon Alley rolling out next summer, there's a good chance that the entire NextGen initiative could implode. If Disney tries to move forward with its original plans of truly aggressive price increases (as reported some time ago by The Spirit), then there's an excellent chance a large percentage of WDW's "guests" could take their vacation dollars up the road to Universal.

More and more, it's looking like corporate Disney's plans to charge "whatever the market will bear" will blow up in their faces. The expanded revenue stream that was supposed to result from the NextGen initiative is already drying up and the program hasn't even officially started yet.

My teenagers will have a choice between experiencing some really cool new attractions at Universal or booking their rides on Space Mountain 60 days in advance. What do you think they will choose? ;)

Last edited:

SJFPKT

NextGen easily could blow up in corporate Disney's face; that's why the recent low participation rate in FP+ prebookings has scared "Team MyMagic+". :eek:

The NextGen initiative was conceived at a time when Universal was something of a joke, when Universal offered little real competition. Essentially, WDW was a monopoly in Orlando and could operate as such. That meant Disney executives could conceive an elaborate strategy to generate much higher prices with little fear of repercussions.

That changed in 2010 with the opening of WWOHP. Suddenly, it was Universal with the buzz. New tourists were flocking into Orlando, not with WDW as a primary destination but with Harry Potter on the brain. Suddenly Disney's monopolistic price discrimination strategy didn't look so good. If threatened with higher prices, Orlando tourists might actually take their vacation dollars elsewhere. But when you've already invested several hundred million into a program, you try to convince yourself that competition is transitory; just a flash in the pan. You arrogantly move forward with your plans because, well, you're Disney! :greedy:

However, instead of being a momentary bump in the road, Universal has turned into real competition, especially with anyone over 54" tall. Uni keeps investing in brick-and-mortar attractions while WDW plays around with a system requiring "guests" to study an encyclopedia and book their "experiences" 60 days in advance.

With Diagon Alley rolling out next summer, there's a good chance that the entire NextGen initiative could blow up in Disney's face. If Disney tries to move forward with its original plans of truly aggressive price increases (as reported some time ago by The Spirit), then there's an excellent chance a large percentage of WDW's "guests" could take their vacation dollars up the road to Universal.

More and more, it's looking like corporate Disney's plans to charge "whatever the market will bear" will blow up in their faces. The expanded revenue stream that was supposed to result from the NextGen initiative is already drying up and the program hasn't even officially started yet.

My teenagers will have a choice between experiencing some really cool new attractions at Universal or booking their rides on Space Mountain 60 days in advance. What do you think they will choose? ;)

Teenagers? We normally go to WDW 3-4 times a year. 1 week long vacation, 1 4 day and then two weekend trips. At 5 years old, my son begged our 4 day trip to be to Universal because of transformers. So we did 3 days and Uni and didn't set foot on Disney property. Got out of that trip for under $700, gas and all. From the smile on his face you couldn't tell the difference in his enjoyment.

Kuhio

BREAKING NEWS FROM D23!

WDW Jungle Cruise is getting a major refurb and re-named "The Jungle Crate Cruise"

AVATAR PLANS RELEASED! Guests will sit in a cubicle with memorabilia from a fake Pandora expedition.

Oh...can't forget Mater and friends in Crateland. You will get to ride in real wooden crates pulled by characters from the film.

Crate Mountain...The Haunted Cratetion...Swiss Family Cratehouse...the list goes on...GOD I LOVE MAGIC!!!!!!!!

D23: Crate Expectations

Kuhio

But take this as real world evidence NGE might not be idiot-proof enough yet.

Considering how many people still have trouble understanding the exponentially simpler Fastpass system, I have no doubt that NGE will never function with anywhere close to the level of efficiency Disney hopes it will.

As the saying goes, "Make it idiot-proof, and someone will just make a better idiot."

SJFPKT

The NextGen initiative was conceived at a time when Universal was something of a joke, when Universal offered little real competition. Essentially, WDW was a monopoly in Orlando and could operate as such. That meant Disney executives could devise an elaborate strategy to generate much higher prices with little fear of repercussions.

With Diagon Alley rolling out next summer, there's a good chance that the entire NextGen initiative could blow up in Disney's face. If Disney tries to move forward with its original plans of truly aggressive price increases (as reported some time ago by The Spirit), then there's an excellent chance a large percentage of WDW's "guests" could take their vacation dollars up the road to Universal.

Sorry to quote you twice but just got home and can type on the computer. Anyway Disney is sadly mistaken if they think they are going to keep kids around without anything fresh and exciting. My son is already in amazement at Harry Potter, WWOHP and the new one, without even being old enough to grasp that whole story line. Can you imagine the excitement when he is. He decided in an instant that MIB is better than Buzz and TSMM, but will tell you that he loves Buzz Lightyear. So I can promise the older he gets, unless Disney steps the game we will be spending more time at Universal. Now all of that being said, I am probably not Disney's demographic anyway as I do it as cheap as possible.

The Empress Lilly

BREAKING NEWS FROM D23!

New at DAK! Crateceous Trail.

New theme song: There's a Crate Big Beautiful Tomorrow.

UK pavilion to be renamed Crate Britain. Will house concerts by Off Crater.

Rivers of America to be hidden from view behind stencilled crates. Oh, wait...

Kuhio

It's not going to work for everyone though.

We planned our last holiday down to what we were doing each day, and we will be planning our next holiday down to the day as well.

This is how we are probably going to plan our 2014 Holiday (Nov/Dec 2014).

1 - SeaWorld - Only has 1 night that will have the entire Christmas Spectacular on, so will go then.

I did SeaWorld's Christmas celebration last year and thought it was great. The shows were top-notch, and the park really had a nice holiday vibe throughout.
xmas.gif
Best of all, everything is included with the cost of park admission, unlike some other holiday parties that we won't name here...
rolleyes.gif

If you study the schedule beforehand, it's also possible to see every single show -- or close to it -- and fit in rides on all the major attractions. (The only show I skipped was the Sesame Street one.)

My only caveat would be to buy any holiday-related merchandise you see if you're interested in it, rather than assuming that you'll find it at other locations in the park later in the day. I only saw the Christmas celebration magnet and passholder pin on sale at the Polar Express/Wild Arctic store, and had to backtrack across the park at the end of the day when I couldn't find them anywhere else.

djlaosc

I did SeaWorld's Christmas celebration last year and thought it was great. The shows were top-notch, and the park really had a nice holiday vibe throughout.
xmas.gif
Best of all, everything is included with the cost of park admission, unlike some other holiday parties that we won't name here...
rolleyes.gif

If you study the schedule beforehand, it's also possible to see every single show -- or close to it -- and fit in rides on all the major attractions. (The only show I skipped was the Sesame Street one.)

My only caveat would be to buy any holiday-related merchandise you see if you're interested in it, rather than assuming that you'll find it at other locations in the park later in the day. I only saw the Christmas celebration magnet and passholder pin on sale at the Polar Express/Wild Arctic store, and had to backtrack across the park at the end of the day when I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Thanks for the advice. We plan to study the show schedule for 2013 to get an idea of what it will be like in 2014.

Last time we were at SeaWorld was Labor Day Weekend 2011, so did the 14 hour stint that day as well - got to see all the animals, all the shows, and ride all the rides. I think the main issue is that it doesn't really start with the Christmas shows till 5pm, although I guess that THE POLAR EXPRESS Experience runs all day? Still gives 6 hours to try to fit everything in (O Wondrous Night, Sea of Trees, Shamu® Christmas... Miracles, A Sesame Street Christmas, Winter Wonderland on Ice, Clyde & Seamore's Countdown to Christmas, Holiday Reflections: Fireworks and Fountain Finale), although we will probably be skipping the Sesame Street show as well , so hopefully it will be possible.

If not, we could possibly look at the schedule for the Sunday, see what is on then, and then focus on the Saturday exclusives, and go back and do the rest on the next night, although we would prefer not to do this (extra cost on tickets, parking, etc.)

The "Shark's Underwater Grill Holiday Menu" also sounds interesting - do you have any idea what was on it?

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Heading to WDW at the end of September. Me, SIL, and another brother's 12 year old son.

9 nights/10 days at POP; with free quick service dining (paid to upgrade to regular dining); 10 day Park Hopper passes - $2860.
Direct return flights from Buffalo - just under $1200.
Rental Car - $160 + $40/gas
Breakfast for three at CRT - $160.
Approx. cost of water, Gatorade and snacks from Publix - <$40.
Table Service Tips - $150
Mousekeeping Tips - $50

That's approx. $3700 for 3 for 10 days. And tecnically, we really don't need to spend another cent.

That's getting up there, sure, but still doable for a once/year trip. We always go during Free Dining because that saves us a lot of money.
Heck, it costs $3000+ for Hubby and I to go to an all-inclusive Caribbean resort every February (for one week) and I seldom care for the food, and am a total non-drinker.

For me, WDW is still affordable and enjoyable. When it ceases to be either, I will stop going.

I definitely agree its doable for a lot less. I think the $7,000 number @PhotoDave219 was talking about is probably more of an average for a deluxe resort not during value season. Even with discounts or free dining a deluxe resort package for 4 for a week in the summer comes to $4,000 to $5,000 not including airfare or spending money.

I'm with you on it being doable for a once a year trip for some. I personally don't spend a lot on fancy clothes, electronics or cars (my Accord has 240,000+ miles and has been paid for for over 6 years now). Where I tend to spend more freely is on vacations. I don't fault others for spending on those other things, its just my preference so I don't think it's necessarily excessive to spend $3,700 on a vacation. $7,000 for a week at WDW seems excessive to me and I personally would not go into debt for a vacation. For me vacations are things you save for not things you pay off over the next 30 years. That's just me, and I know it isn't the American way so I'm probably the statistical outlier in the sample.

TalkingHead

Thanks for the advice. We plan to study the show schedule for 2013 to get an idea of what it will be like in 2014.

Last time we were at SeaWorld was Labor Day Weekend 2011, so did the 14 hour stint that day as well - got to see all the animals, all the shows, and ride all the rides. I think the main issue is that it doesn't really start with the Christmas shows till 5pm, although I guess that THE POLAR EXPRESS Experience runs all day? Still gives 6 hours to try to fit everything in (O Wondrous Night, Sea of Trees, Shamu® Christmas... Miracles, A Sesame Street Christmas, Winter Wonderland on Ice, Holiday Reflections: Fireworks and Fountain Finale), although we will probably be skipping the Sesame Street show as well , so hopefully it will be possible.

If not, we could possibly look at the schedule for the Sunday, see what is on then, and then focus on the Saturday exclusives, and go back and do the rest on the next night, although we would prefer not to do this (extra cost on tickets, parking, etc.)

The "Shark's Underwater Grill Holiday Menu" also sounds interesting - do you have any idea what was on it?

You may have just neglected to mention it, but Clyde and Seamore have a Christmas-themed show as well. It and the ice-skating show were the best ones that I saw. Just like Kuhio, I was really impressed by SeaWorld's decorations and festivities. Easily the best in the Orlando parks.

JenniferS

Premium Member
I definitely agree its doable for a lot less. I think the $7,000 number @PhotoDave219 was talking about is probably more of an average for a deluxe resort not during value season. Even with discounts or free dining a deluxe resort package for 4 for a week in the summer comes to $4,000 to $5,000 not including airfare or spending money.

I'm with you on it being doable for a once a year trip for some. I personally don't spend a lot on fancy clothes, electronics or cars (my Accord has 240,000+ miles and has been paid for for over 6 years now). Where I tend to spend more freely is on vacations. I don't fault others for spending on those other things, its just my preference so I don't think it's necessarily excessive to spend $3,700 on a vacation. $7,000 for a week at WDW seems excessive to me and I personally would not go into debt for a vacation. For me vacations are things you save for not things you pay off over the next 30 years. That's just me, and I know it isn't the American way so I'm probably the statistical outlier in the sample.
Our days at Disney are jam packed. We hit the parks early, with a plan. We stay late, taking full advantage of EMH. We visit the other resorts, often for dining; but just as often for pleasure. Once per trip, we take the boat from DTD to POR, and walk around that beautiful resort.

We dine at the Poly at least 3 times per trip. We time our 'Ohana reservations so that we can view Wishes from the beach, either before or after dining.

We take the boat over to WL, and walk around. We dine at Boma and soak in the atmosphere at AKL.

Other than pool hopping, which I neither condemn, nor condone (I just don't have the nerve or the desire), I spend a lot of the time at the Deluxe Resorts. I just don't feel the need to pay double to sleep in one. 'Cause that's all I do in my room - sleep. They all look the same with my eyes closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom