Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

GLaDOS

What bothers me about the, "I'm just going through the movie argument" is that people complain that it's not a thorough retelling of the movie either.

See, I think this is one of my problems with the ride.

It doesn't know what it wants to be. It's a pretty close retelling, at least as close as you can feasibly get, until randomly...it isn't. The ride feels like it wants to be a retelling until the designers realized they wouldn't have room to do so.

I think the ride is fine, for what it is, and I think it's a decent addition to the MK, but it's definitely not something I would have chosen as the first ride added to a park in 20 years.

tracyandalex

MIght want to slightly modify that one...those of us in the Jacksonville area (I know there are at least five of us!) consider ourselves North Florida (I mean, come on, the University of North Florida - Go Osprey! - is in Jacksonville) and Miami is closer. Not a bunch, but the ride is a whole lot less dull than driving west on I-10!!

kidding...kidding....

Oh and uumm go Noles!! According to the Mr. I was a bad fan by not including that in my original response.

Genie of the Lamp

Here's some slideshow pics showcasing Next Gen technology, RFID Tags, turnstiles, Pirates Interactive concept art, Fairytall Hall concept art, A possible EPCOT Imagineering Interactive Scavenger Hunt and MagicBands:

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/w...d-tags-new-turnstiles-and-more#slide=45206291

Edit: As a side note, still no blog post from Blondie, Bland Tommy, Even Steven Miller, Shawn "Slayer Hater" Slater or Crazy Gary in regards to Tony Baxter's downgrade from Senior VP Creative Development WDI to Part time Consultant or what he's meant to the company for the past 47.5 years. Although Blondie did make the most commented about/most buzzworthy post today in regards to the BTMR interactive queue sneak peak.

tracyandalex

Well I did mention Pensacola on that post, lol!

I-10 across the top of Florida ain't that bad if you don't mind pine trees. Try I-80 across Iowa if you want real boredom!

What gets me is at night when you look in the rear view mirror and all out see is black nothingness because street lights are too much to ask for.

tracyandalex

Except you take your life into your own hands the further south you travel on I-95. I-10 is more boring, relatively safer, but the further west you go, the more likely you are to encounter the rednecks from "Deliverance." Lots of NRA folks in that 'dar area. ;)

Since I live in that area, all I will say is perhaps ;) Being a transplant from NJ I might be a little biased but um yeah

Cosmic Commando

What bothers me about the, "I'm just going through the movie argument" is that people complain that it's not a thorough retelling of the movie either.
Thinking about the narrative of the ride, I wonder if they would have been better off either skipping or drastically downsizing "Under the Sea". It's a great song, but think about it... it's not very important to the story at all. She wants to go up above the water, Sebastian tries to convince her to stay, and she immediately disregards him. The most important thing really about the scene in the movie is that Ariel slips away from Sebastian's supervision while he's distracted by the whole song-and-dance. Put that space more into Ursula's lair and a fight between Ursula and Eric.

Sped2424

You're absolutely right but you're leaving out one all important factor. The reason why Pan, Snow White and Toad are considered to be better by some people is because of the heavy nostalgia factor. Their sentimental longing for the old days causes them to lose all sense of objectivity and the ability to make rational comparisons. They cling to these old attractions like stink on a skunk and any change is considered to be heresy. It does no good to advance logic into the discussion because facts and logic are not part of the world of nostalgia. They want to capture and keep their fantasies intact. New attractions such as Mermaid tend to threaten the neat order of their own personal fantasy land that they carry in their minds.

Frankly, I'd like to see a hip-hop version of Mermaid.

Exactly this post couldn't have been put more accurately

Goofyernmost

Thinking about the narrative of the ride, I wonder if they would have been better off either skipping or drastically downsizing "Under the Sea". It's a great song, but think about it... it's not very important to the story at all. She wants to go up above the water, Sebastian tries to convince her to stay, and she immediately disregards him. The most important thing really about the scene in the movie is that Ariel slips away from Sebastian's supervision while he's distracted by the whole song-and-dance. Put that space more into Ursula's lair and a fight between Ursula and Eric.
A the beauty of never seeing the movie. I went in there and new just enough about the story that I didn't even know they didn't follow the storyline of the movie. Ignorance is bliss!

Goofyernmost

Since you've never seen the movie... Ursula is the villain, btw. You might not know from just seeing the ride. ;)
I could tell that from the ride and I also could tell from the ending that she lost whatever battle it was. That's all I needed to know. :p

One couldn't expect then to put the whole movie in a 10 minute ride. Something had to be left out so why not the unpleasant parts.

Cosmic Commando

I could tell that from the ride and I also could tell from the ending that she lost whatever battle it was. That's all I needed to know. :p

One couldn't expect then to put the whole movie in a 10 minute ride. Something had to be left out so why not the unpleasant parts.
Because without the unpleasant parts, all you'd be left with is:
Happy_Little_Elves.jpg

Figments Friend

-

Yay !

Someone mentioned Baxter in the Baxter thread !

I have been waiting for just such an excuse to share this here........

TonyBaxterFanClub-MD_zpsfbbeee93.jpg

-

On a more serious note....

Tony has been on my mind a lot lately.
Been talking to a lot of folks...been getting a lot of different stories.
Lots of thought processes going on in my head these days as the number of different takes on the story are quite thought provoking. Many different sides...many different vibes out there. Who would have ever have dreamed things could be so complicated behind the scenes.

It is hard to know what to think, and hard to know who is really telling the right story, or telling the truth.
I wish him the best, and hope we have not heard the last from him.
Keep speaking your mind, T-man..

Figments Friend

I don't think anyone is denying Mermaid is more advanced than the Fantasyland rides. Of course it is. We're saying we enjoy the Fantasyland rides a lot more than Mermaid because we find them more charming and we enjoy our experiences more with the Fantasyland rides. I feel like I'm simply going through the movie when I ride Mermaid. When I ride Pan, I'm flying. When I ride Snow White, I'm her, running through the forest. I tumble down the rabbit hole in Alice. I don't get that same feeling for Mermaid.

I agree, and for the reasons you pointed out.
The difference is that in those older rides, we are partaking in the adventure directly..as in playing a role.
With newer attractions the Guest is just observing...like watching a moving television screen.
That is the big difference.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since NCL already has Norwegian Spirit, Thomson already has Thomson Spirit and Carnival already has Carnival Spirit, it's unlikely Disney would want to use that name. As grand as it sounds.

Means nothing ... the Disney Dream exists, but so does the Carnival Dream etc ...

And since I AM the Spirit of Disney, it would only be fitting to name a ship after me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom