Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

DougK

I hereby nominate this as WDWMAGIC.com's Post of the Year 2013!

Honestly, I can't believe I never thought of that as a great name for a Disney ship! I'd love to sail on that baby!

At first I thought it would be a funny thing to post but when I read it back I realized they might just actually do it! Sailing on the Disney Spirit!

Mouse Detective

Honestly, I can't believe I never thought of that as a great name for a Disney ship! I'd love to sail on that baby!

Since NCL already has Norwegian Spirit, Thomson already has Thomson Spirit and Carnival already has Carnival Spirit, it's unlikely Disney would want to use that name. As grand as it sounds.

DougK

Since NCL already has Norwegian Spirit, Thomson already has Thomson Spirit and Carnival already has Carnival Spirit, it's unlikely Disney would want to use that name. As grand as it sounds.

Well if those companies don't care about duplicate names why should DCL? The more Spirits the better!

TalkingHead

MIght want to slightly modify that one...those of us in the Jacksonville area (I know there are at least five of us!) consider ourselves North Florida (I mean, come on, the University of North Florida - Go Osprey! - is in Jacksonville) and Miami is closer. Not a bunch, but the ride is a whole lot less dull than driving west on I-10!!

kidding...kidding....

Except you take your life into your own hands the further south you travel on I-95. I-10 is more boring, relatively safer, but the further west you go, the more likely you are to encounter the rednecks from "Deliverance." Lots of NRA folks in that 'dar area. ;)

scpergj

Except you take your life into your own hands the further south you travel on I-95. I-10 is more boring, relatively safer, but the further west you go, the more likely you are to encounter the rednecks from "Deliverance." Lots of NRA folks in that 'dar area. ;)

That's ok....I'm one of 'those' people. Me and my Glock, driving west in the 10....:oops:

Nah, still way too dull!

scpergj

I hate I-10 ... I find that area can be scary. As to the UNF Ospreys, I have some close friends that work for that fine institution of higher learning/factory of education and earning $$$!

I am an alumni - Class of '03, computer science (I was 30something when I graduated). My sister, brother, wife and sister-in-law are also UNF alumni. Family full of us! Now my sister is starting her Masters (and hopefully I will be, too - software engineering).

Oh - our favorite mall is right near the entrance to the University...SWMBO and I were just there Friday for lunch and the Apple store. I'd recommend staying away from Dale Jr's place out there, though - at least with the wife! She doesn't appreciate the...scenery...quite like I do...:p

culturenthrills

Wow. Some folks will go to seemingly any lengths to defend corporate greed ... doesn't seem to matter whether it's Alamo, Carnival or Disney. It's all about personal responsibility. Damn any corporate responsibility and certainly use that as an excuse for unemployment (look at Disney's financials and then recall Iger talking about a 10% reduction in labor across the board).

That's the common thread between renting a car, MM+ and a one helluva mess to be cleaned in Mobile. I truly HATE the 'thread' running through many of the 'good folks' in this nation whereby individuals are expected to be responsible for everything in their lives, while corps have no responsibility beyond Wall Street. It's BS ... oh, and it is destroying this country bit by bit.

Elite now equals bad.

WalMart equals good.

Remember that when this nation goes the way of the British Empire. We'll be the place with a great legacy, nukes and delusions of grandeur that trots out phrases like freedom, justice and equality like Disney trots out Dreams, Wishes and MAGIC.

At some point, companies need to be held accountable for their actions. People shouldn't be forced to read and agree to a 33-page contract at a rental kiosk or be forced to walk or take a cab. People shouldn't have to allow Disney to datamine their children or track them in order to ride PoC. And people should have the right to take a cruise without signing away 99.99999% liability before they ever set sail.

Isn't fairness supposed to be a cornerstone American value? Or is that just another worthless platitude these days?

Why aren't ships registered in the USA? Why are they registered in nations with much lesser safety oversight? Why would it be necessary to sign away all rights when you board a ship?

These are just basic things. Now, since only 20% of all American have even taken a cruise, I doubt this is an issue for many. But as a frequent cruiser, it is an issue for me.

Fires at sea are incredibly dangerous. There should be redundancy upon redundancy. Same for control over water and necessary functions. And there should be oversight by the USA for ANY/ALL cruise ships that leave or enter a US port. If we all have to go through security to show we aren't 'evildoers', then we should all be assured that our safety is of the utmost importance to those same officials once we're out to sea.

And cruise lines should have contingency plans in case of the worst possible situations that are set by independent maritime experts that don't have ties to the industry.

My pal Flynnibus is very good at talking and taking the focus off the core issue: in this case that issue is CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY.

What happened on the Triumph wasn't an act of war, it wasn't an act of God, it wasn't a mythical sea monster that actually exists, and it wasn't something entirely unforeseeable based on their two Costa disasters in a few month period in 2012. It didn't really bother Micky Arison, the Carnival Corp owner who also owns the NBA's Miami Heat, as he sat courtside this week as LeBron, D-Wade and Chris Bosh manhandled the Blazers. Just like last year, he was nowhere to be seen. And knowing Micky (guess what? another billionaire that the Spirit knows ... shocking!!!), I doubt you'll ever hear a peep from him as he'll avoid all talk about it except during the next earnings call when he won't have a choice. If he can have one of the priciest rosters in NBA history, then you'd think he could do better than $500 a person.

We all know the cruise offers are likely worthless to over half the guests who likely won't ever get on another sea cruise, which is sad. No, everyone's worth isn't equal and their damages weren't either. But I think I can safely say that everyone on that ship deserves one helluva multiplier of $500, though. Carnival will be taken care of. It has insurance. It may profit in the long term. Asking for a little compassion and FAIRNESS from a corp shouldn't be too much.

But in today's world ... today's America where we let the corps and their lobbyists write the laws, one thing is assured: the average person gets screwed and told to sit back, relax and enjoy. It's in our collectibe best interests doncha know? The Dow is over 14000 so we all must be prospering.

Individuals have to follow all sorts of laws and regulations to live in our society, but companies are a different breed. Despite being told they are people, they are a distinctly different beast and that beast has no desire to end its ravenous ways.

Again, this isn't just Carnival or Alamo or Disney ... this is what happens when you let corporations run your society ... and, I'm sorry, with all due hate for politcians/elected officials, but I'll take my chances with them before I would with almost any large corporation.

I don't think I could have said it any better. Agree with all your points. On another point it is funny seeing a bunch of these corps whining about the increase in payroll taxes and gas prices hurt there sales. The last 30 years has been one giant shift of money from the middle class and poor to the 1 percent and it is now coming back to haunt them. People can't buy your products if they don't make enough money too. Well, I am done ranting.

How about that awesome Kali River Rapids rehab. :D

rioriz

Well if you don't discuss the amount or quality of the attractions then the whole argument is pointless. Universal's 2 parks have roughly the same amount of rides as DAK, DHS, and EPCOT combined. And a lot of the attractions at Universal are truly state of the art mind blowing attractions.

True but I am counting attractions including shows and walk through (I could spend an hour in pangani forest). I give some are state of the art but how often would I get to ride them in a day...maybe 2 on a busy day. I still say a 3 day hopper at WDW > UO but to each his own. Individual I would say IOA>AK>DHS

Longhairbear

From what I read on other on another site, DVC members are very frustrated, and being frustrated by the online systems. Lost ADR's, and lost reservations for a few. Others are having no problem at all.
I'd love to read on here about what some of our fav insiders are hearing more about how the testing is going from inside Disney. The office watercooler stuff. From what I am reading, the front line CM's answering the phones are having tech difficulties also.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
From what I read on other on another site, DVC members are very frustrated, and being frustrated by the online systems. Lost ADR's, and lost reservations for a few. Others are having no problem at all.
I'd love to read on here about what some of our fav insiders are hearing more about how the testing is going from inside Disney. The office watercooler stuff. From what I am reading, the front line CM's answering the phones are having tech difficulties also.

I suppose one way to dam of flood of complaints is to divert the flood by having more malfunctioning apparatus so it gently gets re-directed in hopes of eventual painless evaporation. Genius I say. :lookaroun

RSoxNo1

I just look at Mermaid and see no MAGIC in it. Pan has it in spades. Snow White has it. Alice has it. Roger Rabbit has it ... something special about the Disney dark rides. Mermaid is simply a plastic retelling (and leaving out the drama at the end because we wouldn't want to scare the little ones ... BTW, I was scared by SW as a child and I lived and prospered!)

I do not understand why anyone thinks it is better than ho-hum.
You're trying to quantify something that isn't really easy to quantify. I really think the fondness we have for things like Pan, Snow White, etc is that we're romanticizing things from our childhood. Perhaps the best measure would be to ask children what they like better.

I look at Pan now and I see a cheap looking attraction that fails to meet it's potential. I saw the same thing with Snow White and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as well. I think enhancements have been made to some of the Disneyland counterparts that haven't been replicated in Florida, but I think we're still looking at two different classifications of attractions. If the classic Fantasyland rides are C tickets, then Mermaid is a D ticket. It's simply on a grander scale and has more complex show scenes. Whether you like one attraction over the other is certainly a matter of opinion, but the scale of Mermaid vs. the other typical Fantasyland dark rides is undeniable.

Californian Elitist

You're trying to quantify something that isn't really easy to quantify. I really think the fondness we have for things like Pan, Snow White, etc is that we're romanticizing things from our childhood. Perhaps the best measure would be to ask children what they like better.

I look at Pan now and I see a cheap looking attraction that fails to meet it's potential. I saw the same thing with Snow White and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as well. I think enhancements have been made to some of the Disneyland counterparts that haven't been replicated in Florida, but I think we're still looking at two different classifications of attractions. If the classic Fantasyland rides are C tickets, then Mermaid is a D ticket. It's simply on a grander scale and has more complex show scenes. Whether you like one attraction over the other is certainly a matter of opinion, but the scale of Mermaid vs. the other typical Fantasyland dark rides is undeniable.

I don't think anyone is denying Mermaid is more advanced than the Fantasyland rides. Of course it is. We're saying we enjoy the Fantasyland rides a lot more than Mermaid because we find them more charming and we enjoy our experiences more with the Fantasyland rides. I feel like I'm simply going through the movie when I ride Mermaid. When I ride Pan, I'm flying. When I ride Snow White, I'm her, running through the forest. I tumble down the rabbit hole in Alice. I don't get that same feeling for Mermaid.

RSoxNo1

I don't think anyone is denying Mermaid is more advanced than the Fantasyland rides. Of course it is. We're saying we enjoy the Fantasyland rides a lot more than Mermaid because we find them more charming and we enjoy our experiences more with the Fantasyland rides. I feel like I'm simply going through the movie when I ride Mermaid. When I ride Pan, I'm flying. When I ride Snow White, I'm her, running through the forest. I tumble down the rabbit hole in Alice. I don't get that same feeling for Mermaid.
What bothers me about the, "I'm just going through the movie argument" is that people complain that it's not a thorough retelling of the movie either.

Genie of the Lamp

What bothers me about the, "I'm just going through the movie argument" is that people complain that it's not a thorough retelling of the movie either.

For JUTSVOTLM, it was imo a thorough retelling of the movie right up until you are ascending to the "Kiss the girl" scene cause then there's really no good ending to this attraction which disappointed quite a few that knew the plans of this attraction. People were expecting like on that TLM ride simulation on that DVD extra that fight scene with that huge Ursula AA and the wrecked ship,etc. That's where I think most people see the most disappointment in this attraction to go along with other observations. Anyhow I'm still waiting for the Disney Spirit DCL ship to be announced any day now (maybe they can plaster Mr.Spirit's face or his avatar on the ship)

Clever Name

You're absolutely right but you're leaving out one all important factor. The reason why Pan, Snow White and Toad are considered to be better by some people is because of the heavy nostalgia factor. Their sentimental longing for the old days causes them to lose all sense of objectivity and the ability to make rational comparisons. They cling to these old attractions like stink on a skunk and any change is considered to be heresy. It does no good to advance logic into the discussion because facts and logic are not part of the world of nostalgia. They want to capture and keep their fantasies intact. New attractions such as Mermaid tend to threaten the neat order of their own personal fantasy land that they carry in their minds.

Frankly, I'd like to see a hip-hop version of Mermaid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom