Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

RSoxNo1

You can trust the Spirit. He KNOWS what went down and has said so here in this MAGICal realm. ... There is spin and lies and truth and SPIRITED TRUTH -- and that's the one you want to go with.

On another subject ...

Is it a bad sign for Oz that James Franco and Co aren't on Letterman now, but Captain Jack is talking about playing Tonto?
Interesting. I've seen people doing press for the movie, but not on Letterman... Nothing next week on Letterman either.

Nemo14

I watched this story this morning, and maybe I'm being too harsh, but I was really more upset with the parents on this one. As parents, yes it's our job to protect our children, but this was not some stranger abducting and molesting their child. It's a sad world we live in where there are people capable of using children to carry in weapons, explosives, etc. But the truth is, these people do exist, so we have rules in place to protect innocent people from dying at the hands of terrorists. We might not like it, and indeed we might resent it, but it's the way things are done, and we do our kids a great disservice if we don't prepare them for following rules.
In the case of this child, extra measures were necessary, and they will continue to be throughout her life.

*steps off soapbox*

Goofyernmost

A thought just stuck me (something of a rarity these days). When I was at WDW in January. I used my 10 day, never ending gobstopper, park hippidihop ticket. It had been a while since my previous trip and although I was pretty sure of the number of days I still had available, I stopped into Guest Relations in Epcot to verify that my memory and actuality were in agreement.

The nice young lady CM, helped me verify that I hadn't lost all my brain cells yet, and then added.."Make sure you take a photo of the back of that ticket because you would have a difficult time getting a new ticket without it and that baby is valuable". Exact words! It wasn't so much what she said, but how she said it. It was enough to give me brief pause, but then it went away and I went along fat, dumb and happy to my next adventure.

After all the talk about the changes possible under NextGen, connecting it with that word of warning, kind of gives me a creepy feeling that I am holding onto an endangered species here. (For your minds in the gutter group, I'm talking about the ticket.) Will that ticket be in the "Things that once made Disney a good experience Museum" soon? Disney acronym...TTOMDAGEM! Although it's quicker to type the whole thing then the acronym.

rael ramone

I think in general the theme parks are losing there appeal to the company. I was just going my shareholder stuff for the up coming meeting and parks and resorts was a very distant second if not third to their media networks division. Iger being a network guy has built up the networks because that is what he knew. I can definitely see TWDC selling both parks and having a controlling interest. Disney is just another name in Igers stable, like Lucas, Marvel, and Pixar. The image of the company and Walt are slowing being washed away as people who remember the quality that Walt Disney once stood for pass on. I can honestly say that with in the next 10 to 15 years the company's name will be changed to just The Disney Company and Walt will truly be dead.

Why stop at taking Walts first name off the company? They seem to value ESPN above all else, why not just change the name of the company to ESPN.:mad::eek:

Genie of the Lamp

Well this site is downright awful to navigate. Any chance someone wants to pull the content and host the pictures elsewhere?

Sorry about that, didn't have those problems when I navigated it yesterday. It says it gave credit to Touring Plans so maybe I/you can look their and see if they have em there. Of course when I went on a few minutes ago, I got tons of pop up ads. Were you at least able to view some of the pics though?

Goofyernmost

Saw that sign on a construction wall at Pleasure Island three years ago.

Or was that four years ago.

No, I think it was on a construction wall five years ago.
That's not a good example, albeit sarcastic enough, because their intention was to close it down, and that they did with a measurable amount of proficiency. These guys are good.:p

misterID

I am really close to conseding the battle and giving up on hoping that things at WDW will ever get better.

If there isn't a major shake up I see the WDW resort being sold at some point, especially when people see the success that UNI is going to get in the coming years.

It's sort of like MTV; there was a corporate shift at the height of its popularity, Viacom put people in charge who didn't appreciate or understand the channel, or the reasons for its success, where the new "faux hip" network heads decided they didn't want to be in the music video business anymore, and decided to be a real network, with reality shows... And their ratings haven't been the same since. They know what can work, because they see it in international MTV networks that are extremely popular by expanding and refining the winning video music format formula... But they'll give you a million reasons why past success won't work now, while expressing weird disdain for their heritage and what made them successful, even when the network has the biggest viewership priemere in the channels history by the re-airing of a classic MTV staple in Beavis and Butthead, but that doesn't matter, it's all a nostalgia mirage, they know better... Because the business grads know more than the viewer, it's all about the money in advertising, exploiting instead of investing, and a steadfast refusal to create quality programming. It's a shame, all the way around.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I agree that a sale could happen at some point. Next Gen is such a huge financial outlay at a bad time......

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am really close to conseding the battle and giving up on hoping that things at WDW will ever get better.

Before you "jump of the ledge", look to the history books for a glimpse of hope. Disneyland was a mess in the 1990s with few new attractions, neglected maintenance and a change in focus of management. Management was replaced and it eventually turned around. The WDW issues are larger scale since the resort is much larger, but with the right management the ship could be righted.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Before you "jump of the ledge", look to the history books for a glimpse of hope. Disneyland was a mess in the 1990s with few new attractions, neglected maintenance and a change in focus of management. Management was replaced and it eventually turned around. The WDW issues are larger scale since the resort is much larger, but with the right management the ship could be righted.

Good point, but I'm mildly fearful that NextGen is a big enough mistake that it will either really slow or preclude recovery. I can't believe this much money is being spent on something that may not have any impact or negative impact on crowds and how the resort is perceived. NextGen could be a rousing success but that's not what my brain or gut is telling me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good point, but I'm mildly fearful that NextGen is a big enough mistake that it will either really slow or preclude recovery. I can't believe this much money is being spent on something that may not have any impact or negative impact on crowds and how the resort is perceived. NextGen could be a rousing success but that's not what my brain or gut is telling me.

IMHO the biggest logistical drawback to Nextgen is FP+ and the potential to have to book FP 60+ days in advance. If that turns out to be very unpopular or just doesn't work at all they could easily go back to only giving out FP same day or modify the system to ensure same day fastpass is still also available. The scanners, app and even the wristbands are no big deal to me. If the masses really don't want to wear the wristbands Disney could also go back to cards at some point. All of this can be accomplished without totally abandoning Nextgen, just tweaking it. The datamining will be there either way which is the real value to TWDC.

I couldn't agree more that the amount of money spent was obscene considering what they could have done with it, but at this point the money spent is a sunk cost.

Goofyernmost

IMHO the biggest logistical drawback to Nextgen is FP+ and the potential to have to book FP 60+ days in advance. If that turns out to be very unpopular or just doesn't work at all they could easily go back to only giving out FP same day or modify the system to ensure same day fastpass is still also available. The scanners, app and even the wristbands are no big deal to me. If the masses really don't want to wear the wristbands Disney could also go back to cards at some point. All of this can be accomplished without totally abandoning Nextgen, just tweaking it. The datamining will be there either way which is the real value to TWDC.

I couldn't agree more that the amount of money spent was obscene considering what they could have done with it, but at this point the money spent is a sunk cost.
I don't see that as a problem for Disney. I think they only threw FP thing in there to give the public something out of this change over. It's just a smoke screen. If it works, fine, if it doesn't so what. They will have the system that they were after and the public will either have to deal with it or find someplace else to go. Even if they choose that later, it won't be instantaneous. I will stretch out over a period of time.

They are not installing this to provide FP's, it's a much bigger goal and it doesn't really benefit the "Guests" to a very large degree. 2 Billion or whatever, will not really make a difference to a multi-billion dollar a year business, just a slight pinch in cash flow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom