Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

PeterAlt

Looking at some articles from 2011, it seems like Disney's involvement in Haifa was a bit of a stretch. The firm involved was Shamrock Holdings, the investment firm founded by Roy E. Disney. There was no direct involvement with Disney.
Shamrock was acquired by Disney after Roy E. recent death, I believe. Not sure about this, so someone please verify.

lazyboy97o

Although a "Disney" park is supposedly moving forward in Dubai. A few months back it was reported that the Marvel theme park is moving forward at a smaller scale and without Disney.

Pentacat

What do you think they'll have to spend in O-Town when people realize what UNI and SW have been doing all these years?

As to China, I wish the MK were half as well run as HKDL. It beats MK on all the basics and in the not too distant future will at least equal it in attractions too.

I think they will rely on the Ferengi rules of Acquisition for WDW

1. Do not invest in infrastructure or improvements
2. Snidely mock your competition
3. ??????
4. Profit!

lazyboy97o

Disneyhead'71

By the way, this is why Uni has money to do things and WDW doesn't match dollar for dollar...

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1505/article/p2p-74413338/

...because the government keeps paying for things and they won't spent a tax payer dime on Disney!
You do realize that 2 months ago WDW got $1 Million worth of the tax payers dimes to bring Major League Soccer training camps to Wide World of Sports. And Disney is also getting millions if and when the new DtD exit off of I-4 gets built.

PeterAlt

Disney has also received public money and even used the Reedy Creek Improvement District's status as a governing body to help with acquiring funding.
But I don't see them paying to widen World Drive, or build a pedestrian bridge from Disney Boardwalk Resort to DHS! That's essentially what they're doing for Uni!

Horizonsfan

By the way, this is why Uni has money to do things and WDW doesn't match dollar for dollar...

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/1505/article/p2p-74413338/

...because the government keeps paying for things and they won't spent a tax payer dime on Disney!

You're seriously uninformed if you believe that Disney doesn't have sway in city and state politics. You're even more uninformed if you believe this is the sole reason Uni is spending.

I'm not defending Uni's use of tax money (generated onsite via sales and transactions BTW). Corporate Welfare is a whole 'nother problem that has been discussed plenty on this board and others.

...but to the idea that the Orlando/FL government is helping Uni while giving Dis the middle finger??? As Seth Meyers would say:

tumblr_li2c69qNgN1qgnsnbo1_500.gif

Monsterfan99

PeterAlt

You're seriously uninformed if you believe that Disney doesn't have sway in city and state politics. You're even more uninformed if you believe this is the sole reason Uni is spending.

I'm not defending Uni's use of tax money (generated onsite via sales and transactions BTW). Corporate Welfare is a whole 'nother problem that has been discussed plenty on this board and others.

...but to the idea that the Orlando/FL government is helping Uni while giving Dis the middle finger??? As Seth Meyers would say:

tumblr_li2c69qNgN1qgnsnbo1_500.gif
My point is deliberately exaggerated. My point is there's no subsidies for the kind of things like pedestrian bridge crossings or local roads. This is unfairly handed over to Universal.

lazyboy97o

There's a what? o_O
Keep reading the thread, it was a crazy rumor from two years ago based on loose connections.

But I don't see them paying to widen World Drive, or build a pedestrian bridge from Disney Boardwalk Resort to DHS! That's essentially what they're doing for Uni!
You should look more closely at history. I recommend Married to the Mouse.

My point is deliberately exaggerated. My point is there's no subsidies for the kind of things like pedestrian bridge crossings or local roads. This is unfairly handed over to Universal.
The money is from a surplus of tax dollars generated at the Universal Orlando Resort. The city also could not give Disney money as Disney's property is inside separate municipalities.

PeterAlt

Keep reading the thread, it was a crazy rumor from two years ago based on loose connections.

You should look more closely at history. I recommend Married to the Mouse.

The money is from a surplus of tax dollars generated at the Universal Orlando Resort. The city also could not give Disney money as Disney's property is inside separate municipalities.
Yes, I know that. I'm just saying...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom