Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

the.dreamfinder

Honestly, out of the big four films Disney is releasing that is the one that has my attention. I am so hoping it can revive westerns (or family westerns) the way PoC did for pirate films.
I do find the public's interest in westerns to be fickle and I hope that changes soon.
Let's list some recent "westerns"
3:10 to Yuma Remake (2007)
True Grit Remake (2010)
Rango (2011)
Django Unchained (2012)

Two of those films, 3:10 and True Grit, are remakes of existing films. Django and Rango are both very experimental in their own ways. I think Rango may be able to better set up westerns for the family audience because it's a really great introduction to the genre. I just don't want the new wave of westerns to be remakes of existing properties even though there's a couple that I can think of that could use remakes. Westerns need to break new ground much like the bourne and mission impossible films did for spy films. If I wanted to watch the old westerns, I'd wake up at 7 am on Saturdays to watch Turner Classic Movies.

Here's an interesting quote that a local movie theater chain near me used to put on the back of its tickets

People used to go to the movies as they now watch television — not to see something but to see anything. We’re trying to select... features for those who want to see something./QUOTE]

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you have any good news?

Personally, I may. ... But I don't think that was what you were asking.

How about this? Even as a Disney hater known throughout the world, I have visited every Disney park on earth multiple days (trips in many cases) and taken a DCL cruise since the start of 2010? Not bad, eh?:D

EDIT: I also plan on being at SDL on opening day with @Lee at my side!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Today, films have to make ridiculous sums of money to just break even.

It wasn't all that long ago where $100 million was a blockbuster. Then, it was $200 million. Now, you can have a film make over $300 million and still be in the red due to costs of everything from talent to production to marketing.

Oz, Lone Ranger, Iron Man 3 and Monsters U have costs in the neighborhood of a billion dollars between the four, well over when you add marketing. Do you know what that means when it comes to BO?

Its ironic to me in a way, because 20 years ago, the average citizen couldn't make their own quality animation or green screen setup with a quality camera without a HUGE budget, but now they can, yet these movies are costing more and more to make.

I would have thought that the technology to make these movies would make costs come down...but then again, it is Hollywood.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I do find the public's interest in westerns to be fickle and I hope that changes soon.
Let's list some recent "westerns"
3:10 to Yuma Remake (2007)
True Grit Remake (2010)
Rango (2011)
Django Unchained (2012)

Two of those films, 3:10 and True Grit, are remakes of existing films. Django and Rango are both very experimental in their own ways. I think Rango may be able to better set up westerns for the family audience because it's a really great introduction to the genre. I just don't want the new wave of westerns to be remakes of existing properties even though there's a couple that I can think of that could use remakes. Westerns need to break new ground much like the bourne and mission impossible films did for spy films. If I wanted to watch the old westerns, I'd wake up at 7 am on Saturdays to watch Turner Classic Movies.

That's just the point, two of those are remakes. Another is an animated film (subject aside, I don't place it in the same category ... and I somehow have yet to see it). And Django isn't what I'd classify as a western either. It's like a western like Lincoln is like a Civil War film.

But as to Lone Ranger, all I care about is one thing: is it good? If it entertains me, then I'm a happy Spirit and I'll say nice things about it.

the.dreamfinder

Another is an animated film (subject aside, I don't place it in the same category ... and I somehow have yet to see it). And Django isn't what I'd classify as a western either. It's like a western like Lincoln is like a Civil War film.
Seriously spirit... you haven't seen Rango? If anything, seeing it may make you feel more confident about LR. This is why you need a Netflix account and an Apple TV. Plus, you'll get to see House of Cards and the new season of Arrested Development.

Longhairbear

We just got back from DLR. We renewed our DLR AP,and got the deluxe. Now for the interesting part. The new passes are called recyclable, meaning we keep the same physical card forever. The system gets updated, and the card will be reloaded annually. The only time we will get a new card is if there is a design change, or an option for a different design. Our photos are not on the card, but in the system, and appear onscreen at the gate.
We happened to be seated next to Werner Weiss from Yesterland at Carthay Circle at dinner. He was being treated to a meal by someone from Mice Chat. Of course we eavsdropped, but nothing of any interest was said, except that the Mice Chat guy commented to Werner: "Of course you heard that whole budget just got dropped."

Goofyernmost

LOL, she's very pretty. She went to my high school, here in Los Angeles.
Are we going to play this game? A famous Disney animator went to my high school.
Wayne Brady went to my High School, oh and some dude from one of the boy bands
Sure, we can play. The Red Hot Chili Peppers went to my high school.
Oh, yea, well, I went to high school with a guy named Smith. He and I used to sneak into Disney Movies. Beat that!

djlaosc

Um ... um ... must keep big mouth shut!:D

Did I get it right? :D Do you know when anything would start to leak/be announced?

If you were talking about Kidzone, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda wouldn't bother me (haven't watched them), but I would like to see How to Train Your Dragon and Shrek attractions in/stay in the park.

For me personally, with the current Kidzone, I hope they keep ET, and I would imagine that they would keep Woody Woodpecker (or it would just be rethemed - they need a kiddy coaster in the park). I haven't seen Animal Actors on Location yet, but I would hope they would keep it (isn't this the second or third version of an animal show there?). It wouldn't bother me if they removed Barney, Fievel and Curious George, although I do read that people with children get a lot of use out of Curious George - and I would imagine that they will still have a playground in Kidzone, even if it was rethemed.

If you were talking about Seuss Landing, then I would happily take any attraction there, as long as it was more Cat in the Hat, and less Caro-Seuss-El/OFTFRFBF.

djlaosc

I don't really care for Madagascar, but it definitely is a strong franchise and would definitely help contribute towards competing with Fantasyland just like the others you mentioned esp. How to Train Your Dragon. This has endless amounts of potential in a theme park esp.Universal if executed properly it would be an instant success and the one I'd like to see some sort of land dedicated toward that movie/movie setting. It's pretty obvious that putting Grinch and Lorax in Seussland makes sense. But yeah How To Train Your Dragon is a heck of a great movie and with all those memorable characters, it can easily be a land that can correlate with Potter and really put UNI over the top if not close to it especially with that sequel coming out in 2014. Of course, what first needs to happen is that Dreamworks and Universal need to nail out a renew contract so this can be possible which I would hope gets done and they can continue their great partnership/collaboration.

Yeah, I just named the 4 big Dreamworks franchises, not based on the quality of the films (not seen any of the Kung Fu Panda franchise, may have seen bits of Madagascar and Madagascar 2, have watched Shrek 1, 2 and 3, and How to Train Your Dragon) - out of the ones I've seen - the only ones I would recommend would be How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek and Shrek 2. Just saw HtTYD over Christmas - it's a great film - would put it up there with the top of Pixar for me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom