Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
So ... TWDC released 2013 quarter 1 results ...

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/sites/default/files/reports/q1-fy13-earnings.pdf

... and being that the real world called me, and I had to take the call ... what's the talk?

Was it about the fact that WDW's numbers were allegedly (after they were waterboarded) 'up a hair'? ... What kind of hair? Was it long and luxurious and on top of a gorgeous head? Or was it some unwanted hair ... like on Aunt Martha's upper lip when she kisses you?

Is anyone spinning that the four percent P&R increase is not a result of DLR and DCL and higher prices overall and instead due to the mediocre New Fantasyland?

BTW, I'm trying to determine what is Bob Iger's biggest concern right now: NGE at WDW or how Oz will fare at the box office.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
So ... TWDC released 2013 quarter 1 results ...

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/sites/default/files/reports/q1-fy13-earnings.pdf

... and being that the real world called me, and I had to take the call ... what's the talk?

Was it about the fact that WDW's numbers were allegedly (after they were waterboarded) 'up a hair'? ... What kind of hair? Was it long and luxurious and on top of a gorgeous head? Or was it some unwanted hair ... like on Aunt Martha's mouth when she kisses you?

Is anyone spinning that the four percent P&R increase is not a result of DLR and DCL and higher prices overall and instead due to the mediocre New Fantasyland?

BTW, I'm trying to determine what is Bob Iger's biggest concern right now: NGE at WDW or how Oz will fare at the box office.

OZ is dead in the water.

ParentsOf4

That's got to be a no-brainer. NGE will stumble along and return something. Oz could become another Pirates or another John Carter. I know what I'd be worried about if I was in Iger's shoes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, someone told me that Al Lutz was trying to steal Bob Iger's thunder in the fanboi community by writing his once in six-eight week column and focusing largely on WDW.

I have to admit (without having a chance to source it) that Al's info seems to mesh with what I've been hearing. Pandora was pushed entirely out of the budget for FY'13 and one might wisely see those funds shifted over to the Studios project. And if enough of them are pushed over (and things like Luigi's get left out -- as I told you it would), Cars Land could easily be built with said funds.

But there is no way in hell that you'll see it in 2015. You wouldn't if construction started tomorrow and that isn't happening. This isn't UNI where they put up an E-Ticket in less than a year. This is Disney where the modest (why do I always have to repeat it?) Fantasyland project winds up lasting from 2009-2014.

Also, if Disney has gone away from the 'value engineered' version of Cars Land and for a close to duplicate, you must wonder what that means for the Monsters coaster, the Ratatouille ride, the new shows to replace the tired and ancient Mermaid and B&B shows, the Fantasmic replacement etc ... the park needs lots of work. Lots.

But I'd like to hear a confirmation before going with what was said.

Oh, and someone should have told Al that DAK is WDW's No. 3 park in attendance not No. 4.

bubbles1812

OZ is dead in the water.
Is Oz tracking that badly? Know my family wants to see it... My brothers mainly want to see it for the witches ;) But obviously we aren't a large sample. I want to see Oz more than I do Lone Ranger though. That being said ill probably see both. It's certainly a risk though not the way I would have called John Carter a risk. At least there is brand recognition and recognizable actors and as my brothers put it so aptly "hot women"

ParentsOf4

Pirates had an iconic performance from an iconic actor. Oz has.....James Franco?
I don't know if I'd have called Depp "iconic" before Pirates.:D

The point is that movies are much higher risk/reward than theme parks. Even a poorly received theme park expansion has years or even decades to make back its money. The fate of a movie like Oz, one way or the other, could be decided in a single weekend.

At this point, Iger should be much more concerned with Oz than NGE.

the.dreamfinder

Iconic ? Not in my book.
But there is Mila Kunis.
ozmilakunis_620_012513.jpg

bubbles1812

I guess that's a matter of opinion. Depp has had a many bad performances as he has good.

Iconic ? Not in my book.
I'd say it depends on your definition of iconic. Depp certainly gave a memorable performance, not one easily forgotten in his portrayal of Sparrow. Those movies only worked because of the way he played his character. If he'd played it straight I do not think they would have been nearly as successful. In my opinion it was iconic. It resurrected a genre that was on the whole dead, and it wasnt something that people had necessarily seen before. Sparrow is now a character recognized the world over. That isn't easy to do when it comes to an original character in a movie based on a theme park ride. Depp's performance in the movie plus his work from his earlier good movies has made him iconic.

I will concede Depp has had some bad performances... See the tourist for one of those. Yikes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Other thoughts ... DCL still is a monster force for good in P&R, although it would appear as if going to Galveston as well as continuing to do Mexican Riviera itineraries hurt as prices were down. ... Even having a film like the Avengers can't make up for a disaster like John Carter (keep this in mind next month with Oz if Iger is already talking up Iron Man 3 and Monsters U in Phoenix). ... OK, so WDW's hotel revenue was up four percent (due to price increases), but occupancy was down by the same four percent (likely due to more inventory at AoA coming online). ... Yes, Bob Iger played with MM+ toys last week (what did you think he was in O-Town for? To help Andy and George pick out tile for their kitchen at Golden Oak?) ... Iger and Rasulo still playing the deception game -- i.e. we won't tell you how much $$$ we are spending on NGE. ... Did I miss it or was little said about HKDL finally being in the black (due to quality additions)?

What's the pulse of the fan community? Are folks talking these results up? What about the Twits in the Twitterverse?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Most telling item from the call?

Iger refusing to give a timetable for NGE being more than just a nebulous black cloud hanging in the distance (like over Clermont) and instead enveloping us all in the MAGIC, whether we want it or not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One final (for now) thought on Lutz: it was nice that Al tried to play up Tony going out on his own terms (it is true to a certain extent) but it also in no way tells the whole story or comes close. It will only all come out if Tony (who is extremely private) decides to smear a company that has been part of him since childhood.

But that doesn't change the reality.

Oh, and one bit of news, but it is very likely that Joe Rohde is next out the door. Their salaries (and talents) are simply too high.

PirateFrank

I'd say it depends on your definition of iconic. Depp certainly gave a memorable performance, not one easily forgotten in his portrayal of Sparrow. Those movies only worked because of the way he played his character. If he'd played it straight I do not think they would have been nearly as successful. In my opinion it was iconic. It resurrected a genre that was on the whole dead, and it wasnt something that people had necessarily seen before. Sparrow is now a character recognized the world over. That isn't easy to do when it comes to an original character in a movie based on a theme park ride. Depp's performance in the movie plus his work from his earlier good movies has made him.

Quoted for truth!

WDW1974

Original Poster
exactly... im a dvc owner and my last two years i ve only gone to Universal no Disney parks....i do dine at resorts so Disney is getting some of my money but more is going to universal because of the new offerings.... actually just got back from a quick trip to Orlando hitting both IOA and USF

You are exactly one of the demos that Disney is very concerned about, hence offering $399 PAPs the last three months of 2012.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
One final (for now) thought on Lutz: it was nice that Al tried to play up Tony going out on his own terms (it is true to a certain extent) but it also in no way tells the whole story or comes close. It will only all come out if Tony (who is extremely private) decides to smear a company that has been part of him since childhood.

But that doesn't change the reality.

Oh, and one bit of news, but it is very likely that Joe Rohde is next out the door. Their salaries (and talents) are simply too high.
And Iger's is not? :rolleyes:

Animaniac93-98

Well that would stink if Disney ends up having TWO box office Oz duds to its name, but I can't say I will be helping since I have no interest in seeing the new one and am only hoping for a Blu-ray release of Return to Oz when the new one makes its eventual home video debut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom