Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know if I'd have called Depp "iconic" before Pirates.:D

The point is that movies are much higher risk/reward than theme parks. Even a poorly received theme park expansion has years or even decades to make back its money. The fate of a movie like Oz, one way or the other, could be decided in a single weekend.

At this point, Iger should be much more concerned with Oz than NGE.

Yes. ... Depp created an iconic character in Captain Jack Sparrow.

I wouldn't call him an iconic actor, though. But I have liked or loved almost every film he has ever been in. It's nice to see a local guy and high school drop out make good.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Oh, and one bit of news, but it is very likely that Joe Rohde is next out the door. Their salaries (and talents) are simply too high.

ragecomic.png

awoogala

So ... TWDC released 2013 quarter 1 results ...

BTW, I'm trying to determine what is Bob Iger's biggest concern right now: NGE at WDW or how Oz will fare at the box office.

well, this house is excited for oz, but also kind of nervous.. been burned too many times..:eek:

articos

The de-evolution of the Disney CEO:

Walt Disney: “I have an idea.”

Roy Disney: “It was Walt’s idea.”

Card Walker: “Would Walt have thought it was a good idea?”

Michael Eisner: “What’s your idea?”

Bob Iger: “What are the financials supporting your idea?”

Business history is replete with examples of successful ideas that made no sense financially when first imagined. Exceptional business leaders author innovative ideas. Strong business leaders recognize innovative ideas and nurture them.

Iger knows how to interpret a financial report.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
If you aren't a management consultant IRL, you need to look into it.

Genie of the Lamp

If they could add Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon attractions to the current Kidzone (I would have also built Despicable Me in Kidzone, but of course it used an existing theatre by replacing Jimmy Neutron), and add Grinch and Lorax to Seussland - then they could have the characters needed to compete with Fantasyland. Of course, there has been talk that the Dreamworks deal was finishing (Shrek removal), so it might not happen, but those 4 Dreamworks franchises could help them compete.

I don't really care for Madagascar, but it definitely is a strong franchise and would definitely help contribute towards competing with Fantasyland just like the others you mentioned esp. How to Train Your Dragon. This has endless amounts of potential in a theme park esp.Universal if executed properly it would be an instant success and the one I'd like to see some sort of land dedicated toward that movie/movie setting. It's pretty obvious that putting Grinch and Lorax in Seussland makes sense. But yeah How To Train Your Dragon is a heck of a great movie and with all those memorable characters, it can easily be a land that can correlate with Potter and really put UNI over the top if not close to it especially with that sequel coming out in 2014. Of course, what first needs to happen is that Dreamworks and Universal need to nail out a renew contract so this can be possible which I would hope gets done and they can continue their great partnership/collaboration.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So ... TWDC released 2013 quarter 1 results ...

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/sites/default/files/reports/q1-fy13-earnings.pdf

... and being that the real world called me, and I had to take the call ... what's the talk?

Was it about the fact that WDW's numbers were allegedly (after they were waterboarded) 'up a hair'? ... What kind of hair? Was it long and luxurious and on top of a gorgeous head? Or was it some unwanted hair ... like on Aunt Martha's upper lip when she kisses you?

Is anyone spinning that the four percent P&R increase is not a result of DLR and DCL and higher prices overall and instead due to the mediocre New Fantasyland?

BTW, I'm trying to determine what is Bob Iger's biggest concern right now: NGE at WDW or how Oz will fare at the box office.

Funny part is when talking about WDW attendance Rasulo actually said "It was down a hair" first and then someone must have corrected him and he said "sorry, up a hair" Even Rasulo couldn't believe the numbers were up.;). He did say attendance was not the key driver, but added that a larger portion of the holiday week this year will be in Q2 due to the quarter closing Dec 29th which makes the numbers even stronger.

Definitely more worried about Oz. It surprises me that Oz is not looking too good. From the ads it looks decent enough to me.

Iger did say that most of the capital for NextGen was spent already, but that they will/are starting to see additional operating costs related to it. Then added that the product would be rolled out later this year, but that they are purposely not saying when and that certain features will be rolled out over a long period of time. All that translates to "we really have no clue when it will be ready, hopefully this year, but we won't committ to anything and even when it rolls out all of the functionality won't work for a long time". Iger closed his response with "we want to make sure we get this right before we go too fast with it. But, so far we are very, very excited about it".

RSoxNo1

Oh, someone told me that Al Lutz was trying to steal Bob Iger's thunder in the fanboi community by writing his once in six-eight week column and focusing largely on WDW.

I have to admit (without having a chance to source it) that Al's info seems to mesh with what I've been hearing. Pandora was pushed entirely out of the budget for FY'13 and one might wisely see those funds shifted over to the Studios project. And if enough of them are pushed over (and things like Luigi's get left out -- as I told you it would), Cars Land could easily be built with said funds.

But there is no way in hell that you'll see it in 2015. You wouldn't if construction started tomorrow and that isn't happening. This isn't UNI where they put up an E-Ticket in less than a year. This is Disney where the modest (why do I always have to repeat it?) Fantasyland project winds up lasting from 2009-2014.

Also, if Disney has gone away from the 'value engineered' version of Cars Land and for a close to duplicate, you must wonder what that means for the Monsters coaster, the Ratatouille ride, the new shows to replace the tired and ancient Mermaid and B&B shows, the Fantasmic replacement etc ... the park needs lots of work. Lots.

But I'd like to hear a confirmation before going with what was said.

Oh, and someone should have told Al that DAK is WDW's No. 3 park in attendance not No. 4.
He also said nothing else is in construction at WDW right now, and then later in the article references the D-ticket Mine Train ride.

HMF

One thing I will say is that I will be minimizing the amount of money I put into the Walt Disney Company for the forseeale future.

Cody5242

I thought OZ was positioned to do well? The global boxoffice markets have grown a lot especially china. I believe it will make a profit of at least 500 mill worldwide. It just seems like its the kind of film that will do well in foreign markets. I believe it will make about $215 mill in the states and do most of the damage overseas

bubbles1812

It's still early, but it's not looking good. Production budget for Oz was a min of 200 mill, not taking into account advertising. That is a high mountain to climb to profitability.
Yikes. I didn't know it had cost that much. But yeah, assuming say 100 million spent on advertising, it's a tall hill. But again, it's really tracking that bad? Sorry just trying to clarify your answer. I get with the production and advertising it's costly. But films have been costly before and done well. When you said "it's still early but it's not looking good" were you referring to the tracking on the film or just referring more to how it's a high hill to climb for profitability?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom