Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Genie of the Lamp

I'm sorry, she did not work for The New York Times. She worked as a stringer for The Lakeland Ledger which was owned by the NYT Regional Newspaper Group.

I was only focusing on the fact that she got a PH D. from UCF and attended that institution by trying to prove that point/drive that fact home. I believe everything else like her not working for the NYT.

MattM

I was only focusing on the fact that she got a PH D. from UCF and attended that institution by trying to prove that point/drive that fact home. I believe everything else like her not working for the NYT.
Well, if she worked for the Ledger, then, technically, she did work for the NYT.

PhotoDave219

Well, if she worked for the Ledger, then, technically, she did work for the NYT.

Nope. Thats not how it works in this business. The New York Times Regional Newspaper Group was a separate entity that was owned by NYT. When you say "I work for this publication", then you work for THAT individual publication, not who owns it. Its a complete misrepresentation of who you are and what you do and if you're willing to lie about that on a linkedin profile, that calls into question all 105 fluff pieces she did for the Ledger.

So no, she never worked directly for the NYT.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a quick drop-by as some folks have to work every once in a while to keep up the top one percent facade, but as big an issue as lying (no, this isn't a case of someone just exaggerating) about working for one of the most prestigious news organizations in the world when you work for a small newspaper in central FL is ... there is the issue of simply working for TWDC FULL TIME in a Publicity/Social Media/Marketing role while also working for a news gathering organization. I don't know who in their right mind allowed this to happen. And you have to question the individual's ethics in how they conduct themselves period with such a glaring breach.

And in case there is some confusion, but you don't work in journalism and public relations at the same time. They just don't go together in that way.

Oh, but here's something else to ethically ponder: would you have a problem if instead of folks like Lou Mongello and his ilk, if Disney had BRAND advocates who ... I dunno ... happened to be tweens? Think about it.

PhotoDave219

Just a quick drop-by as some folks have to work every once in a while to keep up the top one percent facade, but as big an issue as lying (no, this isn't a case of someone just exaggerating) about working for one of the most prestigious news organizations in the world when you work for a small newspaper in central FL is ... there is the issue of simply working for TWDC FULL TIME in a Publicity/Social Media/Marketing role while also working for a news gathering organization. I don't know who in their right mind allowed this to happen. And you have to question the individual's ethics in how they conduct themselves period with such a glaring breach.

And in case there is some confusion, but you don't work in journalism and public relations at the same time. They just don't go together in that way.

Oh, but here's something else to ethically ponder: would you have a problem if instead of folks like Lou Mongello and his ilk, if Disney had BRAND advocates who ... I dunno ... happened to be tweens? Think about it.

The last article I could find was in the middle of 2012. When did she start in the role as Social Media Manager?

Clever Name

We can complain all we want to the company, about the company, about management, it literally doesn't matter. Lets all threaten them that we will not get annual passes next year, we will go to Universal instead, we will not eat at their restaurants or grace them with our patronage......they literally couldn't fit any more people safely into the parks last week. They could raise prices by 25% this year on every single item they sell..rooms, tickets, dole whips......it doesn't matter, they will still have to stop allowing people into the parks on certain days.

They might build 1 ride for Avatar, they might build none, it does not matter. FastPasses for COP, sure why not. $35 tshirt? Fine, I'll buy 4. The New Fantasyland looks really good but doesn't have much substance? That is a shame but did you notice WE CLOSED THE GATES TODAY BECAUSE WE ARE FULL.

Bravo! Even CBJ and the Tiki Room had a few patrons. As long as there are people in the world that will walk into those shows, then WDW has no incentive to ever build a new attraction.

MattM

Its also my understanding that she worked as a contractor/stringer for the Ledger and a was never an editor of any sort according to my source that works there.
That may well be true. I'm not sticking up for her. But if she worked for The Ledger, editor or otherwise, then she worked for the NYT. Technically accurate, but maybe misleading.

MattM

Nope. Thats not how it works in this business. The New York Times Regional Newspaper Group was a separate entity that was owned by NYT. When you say "I work for this publication", then you work for THAT individual publication, not who owns it. Its a complete misrepresentation of who you are and what you do and if you're willing to lie about that on a linkedin profile, that calls into question all 105 fluff pieces she did for the Ledger.

So no, she never worked directly for the NYT.

At the end of the day, you work for the company who writes the checks. The NYT funds any of its subsidiaries. You have to separate the newspaper from the company. I agree it may be a misrepresentation, but its technically correct.

FrankLapidus

Bravo! Even CBJ and the Tiki Room had a few patrons. As long as there are people in the world that will walk into those shows, then WDW has no incentive to ever build a new attraction.

Some people walk into those shows because they like and enjoy them. Besides, if recent history is anything to go by, if if they were gotten rid of it would probably be for yet more wonderful M&G's.

PhotoDave219

At the end of the day, you work for the company who writes the checks. The NYT funds any of its subsidiaries. You have to separate the newspaper from the company. I agree it may be a misrepresentation, but its technically correct.

You're 100% wrong in this. Checks For stringers and contract workers on the Lakeland ledger come from the Lakeland ledger. I have friends that work there.

PhotoDave219

Regardless, it's ethically murky and a tad slimy.

No there is nothing ethically murky about it. It's ethically wrong.

When you say you work as a reporter for the New York Times, And in fact you are a contractor that works on an as per assignment basis for the Lakeland ledger, there's no gray area. It's black-and-white. She lied.

She's an alleged journalist. It's about the truth. It's about ethics. It's about upholding yourselves to irreproachable standards. I'm ed about it. And the people I talk to you at several other journalistic outlets are ed about it as well.

In this business there are no technicalities; there is right and very wrong. There are no weaselly gray areas. In this profession, we do not tolerate this kind of bull.

PhotoDave219

That may well be true. I'm not sticking up for her. But if she worked for The Ledger, editor or otherwise, then she worked for the NYT. Technically accurate, but maybe misleading.

No it's not. The company in question is titled work was formerly titled the New York Times regional newspaper group. That is an entirely separate company from the New York Times. It is a 100% separate entities.

A simple Google search of her name and the New York Times finds no authored articles Buy her but only quotes attributed to her in her current role as a social media manager for Disney.

She never worked there, she lied it. It's a black-and-white issue.

In journalism, any misrepresentation is lying. Any misrepresentation of the actual truth.

Clever Name

Some people walk into those shows because they like and enjoy them.
Perhaps the real problem then are the easily entertained guests. Why build anything new when the same old attractions are enjoyed by guests? It seems to me that since WDW continues to exceed capacity guest limits, they should work on downgrading the attractions to reduce crowd levels and thereby make the overall guest experience more enjoyable for all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom