Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
But you would think especially Staggs that he'll be out of a job in 2016 one would think he want a change around of ideas to prove to the new CEO and her pals that he doesn't need to be cut loose ... so to speak...

Staggs still thinks he will replace Iger.

It's always good to be confident. It's also good to have a grasp on things and the forces that will see to it that that never becomes a reality ...

John

Well, this LITERALLY just into the Spirit Cave, but it seems that there well may be a bloodletting at Celebration Place next with Laura Spencer (again, not the lovely Genie Francis of General Hospital and Mrs. Will Riker fame) just the first to go because ... well, some Spirits in Burbank are REALLY not happy that some Spirits on Wall Street are asking if Disney is basically out of its collective minds with its current strategy of getting into bed with anyone who will be a BRAND advocate regardless of what baggage they bring along.

Now, this was all before we found out that Blondie has created a nice little life lie for herself that the entire world can see online because, again, the people who are supposed to know and understand online media best at TWDC clearly do not. You do not put out anything to the world that can be used to show you are less than honest, less than ethical and not expect it to come and bite you on the behind. I have no idea if this will be used as excuse to push her out the door next ...

But I have been told, however, that Burbank has been told that Laura Spencer will not suffice as a sacraficial lamb. WDW Co's Director of Social Media Leanne Jakubowski is on the firing line right now and that the entire CPSMC is under intense outside scrutiny, including the three individuals mentioned most here. And, again, that was before Blondie's 'little' embellishment came to light. This is gonna be an interesting spring, after all.

You really dig this stuff dont you? I can see that S*#T eaten grin 900 miles away:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
No there is nothing ethically murky about it. It's ethically wrong.

When you say you work as a reporter for the New York Times, And in fact you are a contractor that works on an as per assignment basis for the Lakeland ledger, there's no gray area. It's black-and-white. She lied.

She's an alleged journalist. It's about the truth. It's about ethics. It's about upholding yourselves to irreproachable standards. I'm ed about it. And the people I talk to you at several other journalistic outlets are ed about it as well.

In this business there are no technicalities; there is right and very wrong. There are no weaselly gray areas. In this profession, we do not tolerate this kind of bull.

As someone who has worked in both journalism and PR, but NEVER at the same time and NEVER in a way that had conflicts at all, Dave did a perfect job of explaining the situation.

There are no gray areas here. None at all. It's black and white ... and that new agey PhD she has won't change things at all, nor will her fanboi pals in the Twitverse who truly believe she's always got hot and bothered by the Orange Bird.

I won't be shocked if she keeps her job because this is 21st century America, but I don't think she should. ... I am sure she could go back to writing for the Ledger (what do you think they pay Dave? $100 a story? Maybe $200 if you throw some WDW comps in?)

Lee

Adventurer
So is this the 'spirited change' we have heard about?
No.

But, the winds of (spirited) change are a-blowin'. ;)

I'm very interested to see if the social media bubble at WDW is about to burst.
Could the gravy train be rolling away into the sunset?
Will Joe Fanboy with a few Twitter followers suddenly find himself without a laminate on a lanyard?
Could the mommys have to go back to being just...mommys?

Stay tuned.
Things are happening. Dominos are falling. Wheels are turning. Designs and machinations...

PhotoDave219

As someone who has worked in both journalism and PR, but NEVER at the same time and NEVER in a way that had conflicts at all, Dave did a perfect job of explaining the situation.

There are no gray areas here. None at all. It's black and white ... and that new agey PhD she has won't change things at all, nor will her fanboi pals in the Twitverse who truly believe she's always got hot and bothered by the Orange Bird.

I won't be shocked if she keeps her job because this is 21st century America, but I don't think she should. ... I am sure she could go back to writing for the Ledger (what do you think they pay Dave? $100 a story? Maybe $200 if you throw some WDW comps in?)

I could find out but I wouldnt expect more than $50/story.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm assuming her linkedin profile is what's in question. She worked at the NYT group from 02-13. That would put the Ledger as part of the NYTCo before the sale to Halifax. So she worked for the company.

Anyway, I've given this way more time than it deserves. It really doesn't matter to me. People lie. Journalists lie. Every day.

You are quite right, Matt. ... But we should expose them. And we shouldn't willingly accept being lied to. ... I've spent way too many years of my life having people looking me in the eyes and lying with them knowing I knew they were doing so.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Meh. But will we get more E-Tickets because of this? That is the important question.

You won't want to hear what will bring more E-Tix.

No. That's what Iger and Rasulo said would happen months ago ... despite Disney never being worth more, never being as profitable. And it's just a start. Lots of people who started 2013 with jobs from Mickey are not going to end 2013 in said jobs.

jt04

No.

But, the winds of (spirited) change are a-blowin'. ;)

I'm very interested to see if the social media bubble at WDW is about to burst.
Could the gravy train be rolling away into the sunset?
Will Joe Fanboy with a few Twitter followers suddenly find himself without a laminate on a lanyard?
Could the mommys have to go back to being just...mommys?

Stay tuned.
Things are happening. Dominos are falling. Wheels are turning. Designs and machinations...

Honestly I have never cared about this subject but if there is corruption, as I guess is being suggested, then certainly that should be rooted out. But if this is about old media vs. new media than nothing will get resolved. Cause new media and social media and business working in some sort of symbiotic relationship is the new norm. Genie has left that bottle.

But I like what you are saying Lee. Something needs to break the log jam. Adios until mañana.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Could this be the end of the moms panel? Don't they have their big shindig coming up?

Also, did anyone see the Variety article on the impending layoffs? Anyone up for grabbing a cooler and setting up shop in the CP parking lot to live tweet?

Disney is hosting a major Mommy Bloggers event in about five weeks. ... But they had a group in over Easter -- they may well still be there now. It seems like spending company funds on Mommy Bloggers is a year-round deal. One that may well be changing even as I type this.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I could find out but I wouldnt expect more than $50/story.

Honestly, that just makes it worse. ... To make yourself look so bad for a pittance? If she needed money so badly, I'm sure she could have picked up a shift or two a week waiting tables at TGI Friday's and making a lot more than that.

asianway

Honestly, that just makes it worse. ... To make yourself look so bad for a pittance? If she needed money so badly, I'm sure she could have picked up a shift or two a week waiting tables at TGI Friday's and making a lot more than that.
That's not too shabby, Touring Plans pays $20

PhotoDave219

I just find it reprehensible that someone who worked in a profession that is all about holding the truth above all chose to lie and misrepresent herself about how she worked in that industry.

My hat off to her for having a doctorate, thats admirable work.

HMF

Just an FYI, but Laura Spencer, who was largely responsible for Disney's Moms Panel as well as credentialing local social media whores left the company in the last week (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/author/lspencer/) in a rather sudden move after certain Spirits brought concerns to people far above her pay grade regarding how WDW Co is handling social media and how it could harm the BRAND.

I am trying to find out what I can, but it was very sudden -- and if you read her Twitter you'll see folks from the online world (including my old pal Doobie from LP.com) trying to reach her for credentials for the upcoming April media event only to find her company email has been shut down.

As an aside, Disney is continuing to crack down on these people and actually vetting some of them and pulling invites (wonder what happened there, did someone from Wall Street contact Burbank? LOL!!!) ... I've also started to hear that even folks like Mongello aren't going to have the free reign they once did. My question to my friends at Disney reading this is: where do I send my invoice?

I got no strings, but man sometimes it is fun to tug on the strings of others ... Too. Damn. Easy!
Well, some good news is better than none I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom