Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
"There are only three kinds of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics" -Mark Twain

''We've had problems with the Germans in the past,'' Jimmy Kimmel on Justin Bieber's monkey 'Molly' being held in Monkey Prison in Germany.

Not to make light of you or the point you brought up, but Wall Street runs corporate America in the 21st century. You want to affect change in a company, that's where you do it. And right now, the numbers look MAGICal for TWDC ... if I were an analyst (clearly, I'm not) I might be more concerned about what could drastically change those numbers.

the.dreamfinder

But having met the man and knowing his history and what he valued, I doubt VERY much that he'd have a problem with the way the company was being run right now. Truly.
I think the only thing he would have taken issue with is their decision to end their theatrical release deal with Studio Ghibli. I think Roy would've enjoyed running a Disney owned independent animation distribution group like GKIDS. But unlike GKIDS, they would have money and distribution strength of the mouse behind them.

the.dreamfinder

''We've had problems with the Germans in the past,'' Jimmy Kimmel on Justin Bieber's monkey 'Molly' being held in Monkey Prison in Germany.

Not to make light of you or the point you brought up, but Wall Street runs corporate America in the 21st century. You want to affect change in a company, that's where you do it. And right now, the numbers look MAGICal for TWDC ... if I were an analyst (clearly, I'm not) I might be more concerned about what could drastically change those numbers.
What happens if Shanghai fails?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Or as I call them the reason the company exists

The company exists to create and distribute entertainment, sports and news content across multiple platforms ... you could even throw the resorts in as an offshoot division much like CPs. And to create as much shareholder value as possible based on the above.

That's the reality we all have to live under ... but it doesn't mean that things can't change for the better either.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can't help but notice how slow things have been around here of late ... seems like a Spirited sabbatical may be coming soon.

HMF

I really don't understand why they worry more about what a bunch of accountants think than the loyal fans who have significant investment both financial and emotional into the company.
Then again I don't understand most things about our society these days

WDW1974

Original Poster
I kid. :)
But seriously, Disney should be crapping themselves at how kids want to go to Central FL to see Harry Potter over their stale, dilapidated parks with shiny new wristbands. They have lost a ton of mindshare and they don't seem to care.

Last post of the night, too much on Thursday's agenda, but Disney is concerned. Or many individuals are. ... Someone reasonably close to Georgie K said recently that 'he was truly surprised at how bad things had gotten in many areas' and he is being kept on a short leash, but still getting out on his own.

MAGICBands are only going to wow the Mommy Bloggers and Social Media Whores. No one that isn't mentally ill is going to plan a visit to WDW because of the bold new way of visiting the same old place. Anyway ... y'all have great Thursdays.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
"Magic, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the USS Imagineer. Their Phase II mission, to explore the strange new Magicband. To seek out LeFous Brew and new Fantasylands. To boldy go where no Mouse has gone before"

(runs around the thread singing the TOS Star Trek music)

RunnerEd

Last post of the night, too much on Thursday's agenda, but Disney is concerned. Or many individuals are. ... Someone reasonably close to Georgie K said recently that 'he was truly surprised at how bad things had gotten in many areas' and he is being kept on a short leash, but still getting out on his own.

MAGICBands are only going to wow the Mommy Bloggers and Social Media Whores. No one that isn't mentally ill is going to plan a visit to WDW because of the bold new way of visiting the same old place. Anyway ... y'all have great Thursdays.

It may be my military mindset coming out but if I'm the President of something as substantial as Walt Disney World, one of my first acts would be to reassign (meaning fire) anyone who tried to put a leash on me. This would be especially true if I knew my next career stop was a comfortable retirement based on what was already in the bank. Very sad.

PhotoDave219

To be fair, this was a foregone conclusion and Lucas knew it was coming. ... I am not familiar with the gaming segment of the business at all, but I do know they have struggled greatly for over a decade now.

Not saying I would have killed it, but I can't fault the thinking behind it ... to some degree.

The thing is that LucasArts games were very sucessful while Disney's own gaming studios have sucked a giant (POOH!).

They shut down the wrong in-house studio.

PhotoDave219

Interesting how this conversation is strangely similar to one I had in a friends kitchen the other night.

People want rides. Plain and simple. Thats why new fantasyland is failing: There isnt anything to do.

George K? Yeah, he's on a really short leash.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so ... I am back a bit early ... but I did some research (I am VERY good at that, right Burbank?) and IF my job was say blogging officially for the company in this brave new world of social media, I'd damn well not lie on my Linkedin profile. I wouldn't even exaggerate because people DO read those and they take screenshots ... and they are aware of when someone is being honest and when they are lying.

Disney would NEVER hire anyone who lies openly would they? Yeah, I'd watch to see whose Linkedin profiles change and ... I just don't think it's a good idea to claim you work for the New York Times at the same time you are a Publicist for WDW specializing in Social Media propaganda.

Just something for my pals at Celebration Place pals to think about.

PhotoDave219

OK, so ... I am back a bit early ... but I did some research (I am VERY good at that, right Burbank?) and IF my job was say blogging officially for the company in this brave new world of social media, I'd damn well not lie on my Linkedin profile. I wouldn't even exaggerate because people DO read those and they take screenshots ... and they are aware of when someone is being honest and when they are lying.

Disney would NEVER hire anyone who lies openly would they? Yeah, I'd watch to see whose Linkedin profiles change and ... I just don't think it's a good idea to claim you work for the New York Times at the same time you are a Publicist for WDW specializing in Social Media propaganda.

Just something for my pals at Celebration Place pals to think about.

In full disclosure, I do occasionally work for NYT as a contractor in a "work for hire" basis.

PhotoDave219

The Grey Lady is offended!

Hell, I'm offended. The party in question claimed to be a "Local Correspondent for The New York Times company" when in fact they were a stringer doing fluff pieces for The Lakeland Ledger, which was owned by NYT. As far as I can tell, they never have been published by NYT.

All I know is that I worked damn hard to even work with NYT on a contract, per assignment basis. I'm honest about my dealings and in how I work for my clients. To see someone with a Fortune 500 company in a managerial role lie about something as basic as a former employer? That takes some kutzpah....

Now what to do with this information and the screengrab?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom