Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Longhairbear

It may be my military mindset coming out but if I'm the President of something as substantial as Walt Disney World, one of my first acts would be to reassign (meaning fire) anyone who tried to put a leash on me. This would be especially true if I knew my next career stop was a comfortable retirement based on what was already in the bank. Very sad.
I agree, and just who has the power to keep him on a short leash, and why???

SirLink

Agreed.
DI needs to die. All of disney's gaming projects, outside of infinity, could have been run by LA and you could have hired this guy.
petermoorenomoore.jpg

However, I bet Naughty Dog would make one helluva Indy game, since Nathan is a stand in for Doctor Jones.
I'm hoping too that they sell the adventure game assets to Double Fine so we can get some HD remakes so they can make more point and click adventure games.

Infinity has so much "risk" as in if it doesn't touch Skylanders collective worth within a year bye bye Avalanche ... from what I'm hearing though LA were going to be switched from publisher to studio (to get out of perpetual contract here in Europe to publish Star Wars game products) for them to produce a version of Star Wars Infinity ... the head of LA hated that and the entire division as a result has been sunk ...

Again Disney only likes the short term hates long term outside of Parks and even there not so much ... like for instance Disney Infinity has been in development that starts around the same time of development for Toy Story 3 game... was very different ... there is a reason they added collectible figures and that was down solely to Skylanders ... again read short term investment ... *sigh*

Goofyernmost

Can't help but notice how slow things have been around here of late ... seems like a Spirited sabbatical may be coming soon.
I thought, along with a lot of the rest of us, that you already were on sabbatical. Perhaps if we talked about something interesting instead of the dribble that's has been discussed into the ground, there would be more interaction. Is everyone running out of legitimate stuff to about?

It could be the calm before the storm as everyone waits for the roll out of NextGen. Because other then that it is pretty much business as usual at what appears to be a grouping of enormously successful theme parks. What's to say other than "Wow, look at those crowds!" :) Imagine what it would be like if they ran it properly! :p

Lee

Adventurer
I agree, and just who has the power to keep him on a short leash, and why???
Some people are doing quite well professionally, and making a significant amount of money, with the parks being run exactly the way they are. Such people wouldn't want anyone new to come in and start making changes that would perhaps jeopardize their bonuses by making some ridiculous, guest-friendly decisions.

Folks like...
tandm.jpg

SirLink

Some people are doing quite well professionally, and making a significant amount of money, with the parks being run exactly the way they are. Such people wouldn't want anyone new to come in and start making changes that would perhaps jeopardize their bonuses by making some ridiculous, guest-friendly decisions.

Folks like...
View attachment 28761

But you would think especially Staggs that he'll be out of a job in 2016 one would think he want a change around of ideas to prove to the new CEO and her pals that he doesn't need to be cut loose ... so to speak...

MattM

The best advice I could give everyone....buy Disney stock. Yup buy it now even at its all time high. It will go higher. Igers only intention is to boost the value as much as he can. He will get a huge seperation package when he leaves then shortly after nhis departure he will dump them cashing in. Its been done a million times before. He will leave the next CEO holding the bag. Sure its just my opinion but it reaks of a "pump and dump".

Disney Springs will be just like anyother upscale "mall" Some stores will do very well....others will struggle. By the time store shutter Iger will be gone. This scenario has been repeated all over the country.During the process wallstreet and more importantly we as marks will love it. Then stores will start to close only to remain closed. Iger will leave WDW in worse condition then he found it. But he will leave a very very rich man.

Why isnt Star wars going into a domestic park? because it takes a substantial investment. Something he will not do. IMO There will be no Carsland....there will be no Avatar and certianally no Star Wars.He dosnt care what his legacy will be with fans of Disney. He will only care what the stocks value will be on the day he leaves. I will bet anybody a steak of thier chooseing at any Disney resturant if this dosnt happen.

edit: the bet is that Disneys stock will be at an all time high the week Iger leaves office of CEO...any takers?

How quickly do you think an announcement of Star Wars going into a park should have been made after it was announced $DIS bought Lucasfilm?

Also, are you a stock broker or financial adviser? ;)

MattM

To be fair, this was a foregone conclusion and Lucas knew it was coming. ... I am not familiar with the gaming segment of the business at all, but I do know they have struggled greatly for over a decade now.

Not saying I would have killed it, but I can't fault the thinking behind it ... to some degree.

Exactly, not everything is Doom and Gloom and big bad Iger's fault. This was going to happen one way or the other.

MattM

I thought, along with a lot of the rest of us, that you already were on sabbatical. Perhaps if we talked about something interesting instead of the dribble that's has been discussed into the ground, there would be more interaction. Is everyone running out of legitimate stuff to about?

It could be the calm before the storm as everyone waits for the roll out of NextGen. Because other then that it is pretty much business as usual at what appears to be a grouping of enormously successful theme parks. What's to say other than "Wow, look at those crowds!" :) Imagine what it would be like if they ran it properly! :p

Agreed.

asianway

Folks like...
View attachment 28761
Or conversely, making them look like idiots by showing that guest friendly policies can make even more money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've even argued that the "interactive queues" are not even all that interactive, particularly in the diversity of experience that is supposedly being offered. The noises made at The Haunted Mansion will always be the same each visit

There is something to be said about being a passive observer... vs being an active participant.. even if the outcomes do not differ.

It's why our toy guns had triggers.. even if they didn't actually do anything. We get to role play -even tho we know it's not real and we knew that going in.

I had some family at the Smithsonian this weekend.. and my newphews who are quite young... were more interested in sitting in a cockpit and pushing the controls... then standing in awe of the Space Shuttle, SR-71, Concorde, fighter jets, etc. The former offered an interactive experience in a little Cessna 150.. which was more important to them then seeing the massive Space Shuttle and astronaut stuff.

I give this example to show the 'innocent' and unbiased can heavily favor an interactive experience (even if minor or lesser) over a vastly superior observer experience. Much of that comes from what people appreciate.. (why some can walk through an art gallery.. others would prefer shopping) but even the unbiased show a heavy preference for active vs passive participation.

disneyflush

Over the last few months I've realized the price increases are outpacing my desire to care anymore how the place is run. Any conceivable metric the management uses to quantify the success of the parks has to be off the charts. They have no need to change anything. They get bonuses this year for this year's performance. Does it really matter that Epcot is in its current state when park attendance (such as last week) forces the company to stop letting people in the gates mid-day? THEY COUDLN'T HOLD ANY MORE PAYING CUSTOMERS IN THEIR GIGANTIC PARKS. It is like the scene from Blow where Johnny Depp and his partner and trying to find places in the house to pile money because it is already stacked to the ceiling. The financial model is working too well right now to change it. And everyone on here complaining about it to each other is just wasting their time and energy because no one with TWDC cares to change anything right now while they swim in giant vaults of cash.

We can complain all we want to the company, about the company, about management, it literally doesn't matter. Lets all threaten them that we will not get annual passes next year, we will go to Universal instead, we will not eat at their restaurants or grace them with our patronage......they literally couldn't fit any more people safely into the parks last week. They could raise prices by 25% this year on every single item they sell..rooms, tickets, dole whips......it doesn't matter, they will still have to stop allowing people into the parks on certain days.

They might build 1 ride for Avatar, they might build none, it does not matter. FastPasses for COP, sure why not. $35 tshirt? Fine, I'll buy 4. The New Fantasyland looks really good but doesn't have much substance? That is a shame but did you notice WE CLOSED THE GATES TODAY BECAUSE WE ARE FULL.

I could go on and on but the end result will be the same. I'm tired of complaining. I'm tired of having my passion for a great vacation held financially hostage by the company I've loved for so long. And in the absence of caring too little to complain there is nothing to fill the void to post anymore. I'm certainly not seeing a bunch of positives with the wristbands and price increases to yack about. I've never been to Universal before so this summer I'm taking my family and staying onsite. And exploring Orlando and SeaWorld and the other things it has to offer. We've seen the Magic Kingdom SO MANY times now. We've ridden It's a Small World probably 100 times so I doubt ride 101 will bring back the magic. I can't mask my boredom with the rides with the appreciation of the nostalgia they offer when they are just falling apart and breaking down constantly. The only thing that brings back the magic at this point are new and incredible rides to experience for the first time. So the ETA on anything like that appears to be 2017 or 2018 at the earliest and I'm not even sure what it will be. Again though, this is a ME problem not a THEY problem because for every me they lose there will be 50 tourists coming in to fill my place.

So that is why I think it has been quiet around here. I want to talk about new things at WDW but there isn't much to talk about. I don't care about why so and so will be a good manager or a bad manager, they will all get swallowed in the giant pool of profits anyway. Our collective passion to own a piece of the magic or visit or buy trinkets is what really manages the company and as long as the passion is there then nothing is going to change.

It was more fun to be a fan when the company stood for something besides profits.

FrankLapidus

It was more fun to be a fan when the company stood for something besides profits.

Yep, 100%. For all the turmoil that came with it, it was a lot more fun to be a Disney fan when Eisner was around because the company was doing things creatively. I can understand why things are the way they are and I don't expect them to change at all while Iger is there, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom