Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

John

This statement from the PR pretty much sums up Disney's problem...

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,"

They'd rather be in the licensing game than the creative game.

As said by another poster....Disney is no more then a holding company now. Nothing creative...Just sad.

John

The best advice I could give everyone....buy Disney stock. Yup buy it now even at its all time high. It will go higher. Igers only intention is to boost the value as much as he can. He will get a huge seperation package when he leaves then shortly after nhis departure he will dump them cashing in. Its been done a million times before. He will leave the next CEO holding the bag. Sure its just my opinion but it reaks of a "pump and dump".

Disney Springs will be just like anyother upscale "mall" Some stores will do very well....others will struggle. By the time store shutter Iger will be gone. This scenario has been repeated all over the country.During the process wallstreet and more importantly we as marks will love it. Then stores will start to close only to remain closed. Iger will leave WDW in worse condition then he found it. But he will leave a very very rich man.

Why isnt Star wars going into a domestic park? because it takes a substantial investment. Something he will not do. IMO There will be no Carsland....there will be no Avatar and certianally no Star Wars.He dosnt care what his legacy will be with fans of Disney. He will only care what the stocks value will be on the day he leaves. I will bet anybody a steak of thier chooseing at any Disney resturant if this dosnt happen.

edit: the bet is that Disneys stock will be at an all time high the week Iger leaves office of CEO...any takers?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think it really was countrybearfan. He had an angry face after every post.

Oh, that makes sense. I don't take him seriously. He's a special Disney fan and I admire his passion for the current product, if not the way he expresses himself with those of us who see things more clearly as they are and not as we wish them to be.

But, boy, is his Twitter feed fun reading!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can see the appeal in that. But as you well know, Disney today would rather not have any charter members anymore. Today's TDO is probably annoyed with the very concept.

Oh, there is no doubt of that. They have never kept tabs on our spending and our value as BRAND advocates, so we're basically worthless. The ONLY bone they've thrown us in 31 years was the lowest renewal rate (and the savings didn't even equal a one-day ticket) and they took that away when they desperately gave DVCers $300 off PAPs last fall to keep them away from Spidey, Shamu and The Boy Who Lived. They can't be bothered even giving us meaningless things like D23 free membership, an annual holiday card and pin and better discounts on dining and hotels, let alone things like a special concierge line and the ability to almost always get into any restaurant, a few comp tickets for family/friends annually etc. That's what you'd get if you were a Starwood Gold hotels member (I know) or an Elite FF with any legacy carrier (I know this too!) yet Disney thinks a pathetic little discount is appreciating our loyalty.

Yes, TDO wishes most of us didn't exist, which tells you how out of touch with reality they are (right Georgie?)

WDW1974

Original Poster
No, I should have mentioned I am a former AP holder for the last 7 years. I don't know if I would want to be one now due to NextGen and all the other things that will make a spur of the moment trip to WDW a pain in the . Most Ap holders I know including myself don't stay in one park the whole day. The one thing I have always loved about WDW was the ability to park hop and it seems over the last few years Disney has put more roadblocks up to keep this from happening. Many of us only go to the parks for a few hours and it is gonna make that even more of a pain.

Also, due to the size of WDW workforce I am sure there are tens of thousands of locals who get comped into the parks every year by their friends and family and spend alot of money in those parks. So now Disney is just going to make one of the few really good perks they give their cast members more of a pain in the for them to use to get people in.

So Disney can keep doing all this next gen stuff while Universal, SeaWorld and even Legoland keep building new attractions every year for the next few years while WDW wants you to stare at your iphone so hopefully you won't notice all the lack of new cutting edge attractions around you.

I just love that last part (hence the bolding!) ... it is sad, yet oh so true.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Iger just killed LucasArts. My dislike for him gets stronger every day.

To be fair, this was a foregone conclusion and Lucas knew it was coming. ... I am not familiar with the gaming segment of the business at all, but I do know they have struggled greatly for over a decade now.

Not saying I would have killed it, but I can't fault the thinking behind it ... to some degree.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This statement from the PR pretty much sums up Disney's problem...

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,"

They'd rather be in the licensing game than the creative game.

And this is the crux of their problems. It's also why they were dipping their toes into 'what would our P&R unit fetch?' ... Disney is so risk averse that they'd just as soon not own anything and certainly not create things.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Confirms it for me, he needs to go in 2015. He's had a good run and steadied the ship after Eisner, he's done some very good business deals. It's time for Disney to get back to being creative.

You can't be a MAGIC factory that doesn't create any MAGIC, but buys it from others ... and that is pretty much what has happened to Disney ... and it is VERY different from the way ME approached things (often with great results, sometimes not so).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Saw more details released today about the WDW Florida Residents/Discovery tickets deal that offers a 3 day theme park park hopper ticket for $119(plus tax) and an extra $28.50(plus tax) for an extra day at a WDW water park of your choice. Available to Florida residents for purchase from January 5-June 3, 2013:
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/04/walt-disney-world-new-florida-residents.html

Edit: Didn't know this but blondie has a Ph D. in Text and Technology from UCF as well as to go along with her job title as social media manager of the parks blog, walt disney world, disney parks. Didn't even know a texting college major/degree existed. Was trying to look for/find update on Barnabus T. Bullion portrait and it popped up first link.

Is that a late April Fools joke or are you serious about Blondie? Let's see the link ... as to the portrait I've been assured by a high level official that it will return to a location where it can't be reached by the pigs that frequent the parks nowadays. I intend to make sure the person holds their word on it. Trust me!

HMF

To be fair, this was a foregone conclusion and Lucas knew it was coming. ... I am not familiar with the gaming segment of the business at all, but I do know they have struggled greatly for over a decade now.

Not saying I would have killed it, but I can't fault the thinking behind it ... to some degree.
If Disney historicly killed off every department that has struggled, Feature Animation would have been killed off numerous times and Disney would have disappeared after Pinocchio.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There really needs to be a strong anti-Iger movement akin to Save Disney.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Stock closed today at $57.25.

The current market cap is a staggering $103 billion and change.

Only creatives, CMs and fanbois want to see him gone ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If Disney historicly killed off every department that has struggled, Feature Animation would have been killed off numerous times and Disney would have disappeared after Pinocchio.

And it almost was numerous times ... the last being about a decade ago.

And animation is far more important and integral to what Disney is than a gaming division that came as a tiny part of a large acquisition. Again, sorry, but that just is the way it goes. I feel worst for the folks losing their jobs. That's where the real pain in this is.

the.dreamfinder

@SirLink has the greatest degree of authority on the subject here, but I'll take a whack.
Since the late 90's, LucasArts would outsource game development for projects like Rouge Squadron(Factor 5) Knights of the Old Republic/The Old Republic (BioWare Corp.) and Battlefront (Pandemic) to name a few. LucasArts did not make many games during the 00's compared to their output in the 90's where they made more than Star Wars games, games like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango come to mind. Their recent work over the past five years has mainly been Star Wars games with an original one off game and an Indiana Jones game that was cancelled.

Two of their most recent projects illustrate mangements thinking.
The Old Republic (EA/BioWare): While not successful at first, it is doing well now and EA picked up most of the risk and budget for that project.
The Force Unleashed 2: Developed in house by LucasArts, received poor reviews and sales failed to meet their targets.

As you can tell, it does seem like the success of The Old Republic indicates why they have chosen to shut down internal projects at LucasArts.

HOWEVER, LucasArts had two VERY promising games in development
Star Wars:1313

First Assault (Storm Troopers Game)
http://kotaku.com/5990366/leaked-fo..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Disney should have continued the mix of internal projects along with games made by others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom