Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

71jason

Sooooo, you're complaining that you won't be able to get in for free anymore? Are you saying that Disney is screwing locals because locals deserve free admission?

No, but they are further limiting one of the few remaining perks to being an underpaid Cast Member. Just remember that the next time you're at the ticket gate or in Pecos Bill's and the CM you're dealing with either just hopped off the banana boat or has one foot in the grave. I'll be over at Chik-Fil-A or Fridays with the young, peppy, English-speaking employees Walt envisioned for the parks.

RyenDeckard

Not a gamer myself, but I know a lot of Star Wars fanbois were highly anticipating that 1313 game. Not sure what this says for the future of the IP but I fear it's nothing good.

They killed Lucasarts, a highly respected developer in the 90's and early 2000's, because they would rather license out the star wars IP instead of developing it inhouse.

Prepare to see more Angry Birds Star Wars and Star Wars Pinball games. Maybe even a star wars farmville clone.

I'm so done with the franchise, and I've been a fan since I was born, I grew up with the original trilogy, but this is too much.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Iger just killed LucasArts. My dislike for him gets stronger every day.

This statement from the PR pretty much sums up Disney's problem...

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,"

They'd rather be in the licensing game than the creative game.

HMF

They killed Lucasarts, a highly respected developer in the 90's and early 2000's, because they would rather license out the star wars IP instead of developing it inhouse.

Prepare to see more Angry Birds Star Wars and Star Wars Pinball games. Maybe even a star wars farmville clone.

I'm so done with the franchise, and I've been a fan since I was born, I grew up with the original trilogy, but this is too much.
Between The Clone Wars and now this. If this is the precedent for the franchise Iger wants then Star Wars is done. It wasn't enough for Iger to ruin one of my favorite things, he had to ruin two of them. He needs to be gone ASAP!

asianway

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,"

We kind of knew that, should we give them credit for not trying to tap dance around it anymore?

HMF

Confirms it for me, he needs to go in 2015. He's had a good run and steadied the ship after Eisner, he's done some very good business deals. It's time for Disney to get back to being creative.
Iger seems determined to destroy/ severely damage two entitites that I have spent nearly all my life caring about and having serious emotional investment in. This has become very personal.

FrankLapidus

It's not at a stage where it's personal for me, it's not like with Eisner where he had to go in the best interests of the company's future. Iger's just gone as far as he can go in my opinion, he doesn't have any creative foresight and at a company with a heritage steeped in creativity and innovation you need at least some to get the most out of all of the assets at your disposal.

Bolna

Yes, isn't it ironic that a company that was founded on someone's boundless creativity now really seems to stop being creative as it is considered too risky?

Swfewrmco

No, but they are further limiting one of the few remaining perks to being an underpaid Cast Member. Just remember that the next time you're at the ticket gate or in Pecos Bill's and the CM you're dealing with either just hopped off the banana boat or has one foot in the grave. I'll be over at Chik-Fil-A or Fridays with the young, peppy, English-speaking employees Walt envisioned for the parks.
The perk is to give the CM and immediate family free admission, not the entire neighborhood.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Closing LucasArts is more about legacy than actual business loss to us customers. The company has been floundering a bit.. and I think this is more of a mercy killing. But given Disney's lack of success in interactive over the last 10+ years it shouldn't come as any surprise they don't feel they can turn a ship around..

SirLink

Closing LucasArts is more about legacy than actual business loss to us customers. The company has been floundering a bit.. and I think this is more of a mercy killing. But given Disney's lack of success in interactive over the last 10+ years it shouldn't come as any surprise they don't feel they can turn a ship around..

To be fair they also have been pumping money into R+D into ILM and LA to try and create new graphical rendering techniques. LA also hasn't been floundering Star Wars: Republic Commando(2005) was great as well was Force Unleashed and sold like gangbusters and made all the money back.

The mercy killing should of been Disney interactive - Disney don't like making games and it shows ... Warner Bros wants to make games and it shows Disney doesn't ... but again I have heard in house fighting may of led to the demise of LA...

the.dreamfinder

The mercy killing should of been Disney interactive - Disney don't like making games and it shows ... Warner Bros wants to make games and it shows Disney doesn't ... but again I have heard in house fighting may of led to the demise of LA...
Agreed.
DI needs to die. All of disney's gaming projects, outside of infinity, could have been run by LA and you could have hired this guy.
petermoorenomoore.jpg

However, I bet Naughty Dog would make one helluva Indy game, since Nathan is a stand in for Doctor Jones.
I'm hoping too that they sell the adventure game assets to Double Fine so we can get some HD remakes so they can make more point and click adventure games.

Genie of the Lamp

Saw more details released today about the WDW Florida Residents/Discovery tickets deal that offers a 3 day theme park park hopper ticket for $119(plus tax) and an extra $28.50(plus tax) for an extra day at a WDW water park of your choice. Available to Florida residents for purchase from January 5-June 3, 2013:
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2013/04/walt-disney-world-new-florida-residents.html

Edit: Didn't know this but blondie has a Ph D. in Text and Technology from UCF as well as to go along with her job title as social media manager of the parks blog, walt disney world, disney parks. Didn't even know a texting college major/degree existed. Was trying to look for/find update on Barnabus T. Bullion portrait and it popped up first link.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom