Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
Great post. For things to change, the corporate culture has to change, and that starts at the top, unfortunately. Otherwise, people in the middle are too fearful of their jobs to stick their neck out.

Another couple of great posts from you here. You just have to look at the rate of growth on ticket prices, room rates, et al. at the World to see they've lost touch. The prices went up incrementally for the first 20 years, then exploded. It's not sustainable. Until recently, even Land wasn't crazy enough to do what World was up to.

In four years, my AP has gone up by over 30% -- and I'm a Charter meaning I've had one since 1982 and should be getting the best price possible (but DVCers leaving WDW for UNI and SW wiped that away and gave them a $300 discount on PAPs for three months to end 2012 ... I think I saved less than the cost of a one-day ticket for my 31 years of loyalty!)

Oh, and I don't believe WDW has improved by 30% in four years at all!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well there are the new AP cards.. the change to entry age limits.. spring break crowd levels.. the new PFF... starbucks in market house.. where the TL and Frontierland plans are... Oz rumors.. etc

Lots of activity out there.

Let's not forget a totally new stage show in Fantasyland this summer. If WDW was getting one, it would be considered HUGE. At DL, it's just a small entertainment add for the summer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This part made me laugh out loud:

Although the conservative Disney corporation was uncomfortable with allowing open comments on the blog, the team fought for it. Since then, the team has received (and answered) tens of thousands of questions.

Yes, good old Mr. Holtz (who is paid by Disney to tell them how to run social media, btw) uses one of the greatest tools of the trade: bald-faced lies.

I don't even know what more to say about such a blatantly absurd statement.

articos

Tony is/was no angel, no doubt. He is a highly talented artist with an ego to match. Not very different from any other Imagineer you'll find. And he wasn't good at playing politics versus other folks like his 'mortal enemy' Tom Fitzgerald (who will likely be unemployed as well very, very soon). But he was screwed over by TWDC and WDI's leadership since the late 90s -- led by Marty Sklar (and I like Marty, not only as a professional but as someone who pulled my mother out of the way of a moving car!!!)

In essence, Tony has been shelved since 1998. He has made the type of salary that I believe anyone here would kill for, and despite that, despite his amazing history of producing great content for the parks, was relegated to tiny jobs at DL and not given a sniff of anything Disney was working on around the world.

It was a disgrace. Tony is no victim, but he was victimized by plenty of folks ending with Iger, Staggs, Vaughn and Russell.
Agreed. More importantly: Autopia car, monorail car, Mr. Toad's car, PeopleMover car, EMV car, parking tram car or real car??? That was very good of Marty!

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes, good old Mr. Holtz (who is paid by Disney to tell them how to run social media, btw) uses one of the greatest tools of the trade: bald-faced lies.

I don't even know what more to say about such a blatantly absurd statement.

Anyone who actually knows anything about social media and blogging can point out the gaping flaws in the Parks Blog system. There is no honesty or transparency, just tightly controlled propaganda that, despite having internal access, is always behind fan sites when it comes to news/photos/video, and allows nothing but the official point of view.

It's a nice idea, but Disney is never going to allow free expression on their turf.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One thing I hate more than social media - sites talking about social media. They seem to think they are so ahead of the curve, and cutting edge.

The Disney Parks Blog is reasonable, but realistically, with the resources they have available, it could be considerably better. Thomas Smith I believe calls the Fantasyland 'All in the Details' articles "World Class". Really? The coverage on this website on Fantasyland was far ahead of anything that they Disney Parks Blog put out. All they posted were a few abstract closeups of parts of Fantasyland, with a couple of sentences. If that is world class content, then we are in trouble.

Social media people really like to talk themselves up - instead of doing that they should maybe work on the actual job at hand. Just more evidence that social media in the corporate world is a huge collection of buzz words designed to keep highly paid "experts" in business.

Did you see what people were paying to attend that social media conference at WDW recently? It was obscene. And just to hear people go on about how great their social media strategy is.

Just LOVED the post ... social media is such an overrated and misunderstood part of our landscape today. It's totally the Wild West and you have these folks who all sorta remind of the man behind the curtain (Oz references, anyone? still haven't seen the film!), just folks who are great at talking and selling and scamming.

I wonder how much they paid the consultant (I believe it was Holtz, but not 100% sure) for selling Disney on the concept that Mommy Bloggers were the whales of Disney spending and could advocate online in a way to actually increase revenue by a significant amount? That was easily a seven figure check from Burbank. Now, whether it was all BS or mostly BS (what I firmly believe) doesn't matter ... because now Disney feels a Mommy Blogger from Denver or Atlanta or Austin is more important than a reporter from the Miami Herald, Newsday or Time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I didn't think this needed it's own thread, as much of what I put in this article came from things I wrote in this thread.

http://micechat.com/24073-disney-fastpass-plus/

Said it in private and will say it in public: Great job, Tim. The column hit on all of the most important aspects of NGE/MM+ and was a solid read. Hope it wakes the folks at Disney up that people are not happy with MM+ (even if they get $500 gift cards in the mail for having their privacy breached) and that they're going to have to take this feedback seriously. I'd have more to say if it wasn't so damn late and today wasn't so long, but will try and add more in the next few days.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed. More importantly: Autopia car, monorail car, Mr. Toad's car, PeopleMover car, EMV car, parking tram car or real car??? That was very good of Marty!

A real car moving way too fast and not paying attention (typical LA driver) after a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. When I told her she had just been saved from a nasty injury (or worse) by Marty Sklar her reaction was 'Marty Who?' :) ... But she has since met the man for real and knows who he is and what he did for the Mouse.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone who actually knows anything about social media and blogging can point out the gaping flaws in the Parks Blog system. There is no honesty or transparency, just tightly controlled propaganda that, despite having internal access, is always behind fan sites when it comes to news/photos/video, and allows nothing but the official point of view.

It's a nice idea, but Disney is never going to allow free expression on their turf.

Nope. Too dangerous. Others like SWA and Amazon aren't afraid of their customers, but Disney is sooo afraid of anything. I almost feel like when I ask a simple question at a park or resort that there's a tiny lawyer sitting below the CM telling them what words to utter. It has gotten to the point where I often don't bother and call a friend who will give me the info I seek.

As to the DPB, it sure would be great if Blondie, Bland Tommy or Crazy Gary (or anyone else since it seems like I am just picking on them and I am simply because they are most visible there) would join the site and start posting. But that would be like getting Disney to admit it's about to raise prices or lay folks off (it is, on both counts). Not gonna happen. And it's a shame. The company always cared about image, but was equally concerned with backing it up. Now, it's all about spin.

HMF

Tony is/was no angel, no doubt. He is a highly talented artist with an ego to match. Not very different from any other Imagineer you'll find. And he wasn't good at playing politics versus other folks like his 'mortal enemy' Tom Fitzgerald (who will likely be unemployed as well very, very soon). .
So wait if Fitz is going too, what was the point of giving him the DL Portfolio to push Tony out?

HMF

Let's not forget a totally new stage show in Fantasyland this summer. If WDW was getting one, it would be considered HUGE. At DL, it's just a small entertainment add for the summer.
You could tell by reading Al Lutz's Editors Notes on Miceage recently how amusing he finds the fact that the Tangled Restrooms is such big news in WDW Fan Circles.

alissafalco

I didn't think this needed it's own thread, as much of what I put in this article came from things I wrote in this thread.

http://micechat.com/24073-disney-fastpass-plus/

Excellent well written letter.
I still don't see any great benefit of staying on property if MH's are eliminated. Being able to book 1 fast pass the day of isn't a great enough draw for me (if they even decided to do that). There still needs to be more perks offered. How about a dining reservation the day of? (for a good restaurant) Or 20% discount on merchandise? Once MH's are eliminated and the free dining promo is gone I have absolutely no reason to stay on property when I can stay at nicer accommodations for cheaper.

scpergj

I do often think how sad it is that so many fans didn't visit in the 70s and 80s when there was greenery everywhere and even on the approach you had vast swaths (like say Celebration sized) of empty land with bovine grazing. WDW is over developed now and they want it worse (more DVC, FC, Golden Oak etc...)

Oh yes, I remember the '70's and '80's, back when along the Monorail lines there were those great topiaries...and how nice the entrance to EPCOT Center was (before the graveyard...)...the nice trees in the hub in front of the castle.

I also remember splashing in 7 Seas Lagoon when we stayed at the Poly in 1972....

The Mom

Premium Member
I think the only place I've ever provided my kids' SSNs has been to open their bank accounts. Standard forms for them (and even me) asking for SSN (i.e. routine physical at my doc's; do you need my SSN for??) I only provide last 4. It's a good "habit" to get into for those concerned with ID theft.

If my doc can't bill my insurance appropriately just off my policy number, they clearly are not bright enough to be having access to my SSN as well.

Unfortunately, all of the standardized college boards use SS#, so every college your child applies to (and many more that you've never heard of) will start sending you info. And will have your child's SS#.

COProgressFan

It's the creature from the black lagoon now. It was dark and murky with over grown marsh everywhere growing out of the water onto the beach. That's how it was this past Sept. when I stayed at Poly.

It's really a shame because one of the original draws of the monorails resorts was the beach...which has been shrinking more due to overdelopment (BLT, GF DVC, soon to be Poly DVC) and lack of maintenance. Large sections of white sand beach are gradually reverting back to their original swampland state. Magical.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's really a shame because one of the original draws of the monorails resorts was the beach...which has been shrinking more due to overdelopment (BLT, GF DVC, soon to be Poly DVC) and lack of maintenance. Large sections of white sand beach are gradually reverting back to their original swampland state. Magical.

The beach has become pointless since they ended playing in the water really... that and commando park style.

Figments Friend

I do often think how sad it is that so many fans didn't visit in the 70s and 80s when there was greenery everywhere and even on the approach you had vast swaths (like say Celebration sized) of empty land with bovine grazing. WDW is over developed now and they want it worse (more DVC, FC, Golden Oak etc...)
Completely agree.
I have thought this for years, about WDW being far too overdeveloped now outside of the Park gates.
Instead of focusing on building yet more time shares and hotel rooms, i think funds would be better spent enhancing the Guest experience in the Parks and keep attractions fresh and maintained.

Sometimes i feel that WDW is far too vast now with all the non-Park properties, and that it is taking away from the overall once-wonderous *Vacation Kingdom of The World* ambiance. It is a wake up call when you look back at those old Resort photos of yore...and all the old marketing. Part of the selling point then was to come to WDW to enjoy the natural beauty of the place. Now that beauty has been slowly ebbing away, or being outright exploited for a quick buck.

Of course i can understand needing to add things like more hotel rooms and services/places Guests would like to add to their vacation, but over the past 15 years it seems such services/places have detracted from the whole instead of enhancing it.

Maybe i am too old school....and there are a few of the newer options i like....but i think we all know what the 'distracting elements' are that stick out and scream 'unesessary'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom