Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know I am not the great spirit, but I did see the insert you were talking about ... and when I read that the kid's father was one of the main editors for USA Today and his mother was a teacher on the mom's panel, I stopped reading the 'fluff' and placed it in my circular file. I found the article to be overly self serving and propagandaish (if their is such a word) at best.

That's a great way to put it. I would say propaganda fits quite well ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Then there's the fact that while Disney was pouring a Billion bucks and all their heart into Epcot in the early 1980's, they were simultaneously planning and paying for a complete overhaul of Disneyland's aging Fantasyland. And that New Fantasyland that opened in spring 1983, about nine months after Epcot Center opened in October '82, was a full reskin and re-Imagineering, leaving nothing in the land untouched (except Matterhorn and Small World, which were physically removed from the land proper and already darn good rides).

You could use the 1.2 Billion dollar extreme makeover of DCA from 2009-12, with the opening of the fabulous Cars Land in June '12, as an excuse why they are stretched too thin there in Imagineering.

But thirty years ago they accomplished an even bigger feat by building Epcot in '82, plus a little thing called Tokyo Disneyland in '82, plus a full remake of Fantasyland for Disneyland in '83. And that was before all this new technology that allows for instant global communication from anywhere, and superfast computing and engineering, and a more developed contractor network for the themed entertainment industry.

Yep ... and WDP was a tiny company while creating EPCOT Center, TDL, DL's New Fantasyland and starting planning on Grand Flo.

What Disney has done at the MK should have all been done in two years tops, including the kiddie coaster. Instead you have a project that sorta starts in 2009 and sorta finishes in 2014, but opens in piecemeal fashion.

Genie of the Lamp

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't like as many posts on here as I should. In all honesty though, this is why I don't join social media sites like Facebook, Twitter,etc and I never will. Not so much the likes, just the negative externalities of these sites far outweight any positive benefits. I would have no business/reasons for this 19 going on 20 year old joining those imposturous sites. Those are really powerful facts/statements/findings in that article and are quite scary when dealing with sexual orientation and ethnicity/racial information. That speaks cyberbullying to me. Definitely a good read.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Glass wouldn't do anything. I've seen the same crap on the second floor Starcade windows at DL (the ones SM's queue runs past). The only thing that would prevent this kind of stuff is putting the picture out of reach.

Then this is what you have to do.

If guests are going to act like pigs that belong in a pile of (expletive deleted) then you don't let them near artwork. ... I've been told the newest addition to said picture is of male genitals. ... I'm sure Bruce Vaughn is loving every minute of it.

the.dreamfinder

Then this is what you have to do.

If guests are going to act like pigs that belong in a pile of (expletive deleted) then you don't let them near artwork. ... I've been told the newest addition to said picture is of male genitals. ... I'm sure Bruce Vaughn is loving every minute of it.
What is Vaughn's background in WDI? I know why he was appointed in his current position, but what exactly did he work on prior to that?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't like as many posts on here as I should. In all honesty though, this is why I don't join social media sites like Facebook, Twitter,etc and I never will. Not so much the likes, just the negative externalities of these sites far outweight any positive benefits. I would have no business/reasons for this 19 going on 20 year old joining those imposturous sites. Those are really powerful facts/statements/findings in that article and are quite scary when dealing with sexual orientation and ethnicity/racial information. That speaks cyberbullying to me. Definitely a good read.

Yes, and your views are noble, but the scary thing is some companies now will NOT hire people who don't have a social networking presence. In other words, they want all sorts of private info that they never would have been able to obtain before Satan's work -- FB and Twitter -- became part of everyday life.

If you aren't on those sites, then the thinking is 'what is he/she hiding?' ... Sick.

tracyandalex

Yes, and your views are noble, but the scary thing is some companies now will NOT hire people who don't have a social networking presence. In other words, they want all sorts of private info that they never would have been able to obtain before Satan's work -- FB and Twitter -- became part of everyday life.

If you aren't on those sites, then the thinking is 'what is he/she hiding?' ... Sick.

My former director had some of us search Facebook for folks before their job interviews. I no longer work there and there is a new director, but I hear that practice still goes on.

Also, my child knows not to write on anything other than paper and she's only 4! Were these folks not taught this in pre-school?

PhotoDave219

Why would they not cover that with glass? Yeah it's sad that people are doing that but it's just bad design to leave something so delicate like canvas unprotected.

Links to the pics: https://twitter.com/Schmoofy/status/310919414566486018/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Schmoofy/status/310919506421743616/photo/1

Why is our society like this? Why is our society to the point where we have to deface anything within reach? (have you seen Belle's queue lately?) Why are we such disrespectful A-holes towards things that arent ours?

WDWFanDave

Why is our society like this? Why is our society to the point where we have to deface anything within reach? (have you seen Belle's queue lately?) Why are we such disrespectful A-holes towards things that arent ours?

Was discussing that with my wife, when I'd told her about those pics. And, why the hell would someone pay so much to visit a vacation destination just to do crap like that? Really, if you want to crap on stuff, just stay home, please.

I can imagine that for all of our complaining of the lack of serious upkeep...tiny parts of it can be attributed to the probable constant flow of stuff like this that keeps maintenance from being able to do more meaningful things. Certainly doesn't excuse the things that become big over time, but I can definitely see that it's diversion after diversion with this stuff that could keep them busy 'putting out fires', and even beating them down and making them question why the heck even bother.

PhotoDave219

Was discussing that with my wife, when I'd told her about those pics. And, why the hell would someone pay so much to visit a vacation destination just to do crap like that? Really, if you want to crap on stuff, just stay home, please.

I can imagine that for all of our complaining of the lack of serious upkeep...tiny parts of it can be attributed to the probable constant flow of stuff like this that keeps maintenance from being able to do more meaningful things. Certainly doesn't excuse the things that become big over time, but I can definitely see that it's diversion after diversion with this stuff that could keep them busy 'putting out fires', and even beating them down and making them question why the heck even bother.

Okay but things are physically broken, chipped, etc., in the Belle queue. I just dont get how guests are this damn disrespectful.

muteki

Why would they not cover that with glass? Yeah it's sad that people are doing that but it's just bad design to leave something so delicate like canvas unprotected.

Links to the pics: https://twitter.com/Schmoofy/status/310919414566486018/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Schmoofy/status/310919506421743616/photo/1

Really it should be out of reach/access of guests entirely. It's infuriating that stuff like this happens, but expecting the same kind of behavior from guests at an art gallery at WDW, is a bit short sighted.

I remember Holmes' picture being up on a mantle but don't remember how accessible it was. It being a small giftshop there is always going to be a CM near by, which (and I'm not sure where in the queue this is) may not be true at BTMRR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom