Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

alissafalco

Bolna

True, but you are the ONLY nation on earth that has the McRib as a permanent menu item. ... And you have great food beyond fast food too!

Hmmm - seems like we adopted some aspects of American pop culture more than others... But I guess the reason is just that Germans like pork - in all variations.

And talking about German food: I am planning on trying all the offerings at the Bauernmarkt booth at the F&G festival during my upcoming trip. While the potato pancakes and the German "meatloaf" in a roll seem to be very authentic, my sister and I were baffled by the savoury bread pudding dish with mushrooms. Until I realised that it might be a version of "Semmlknödel" (bread dumplings)...

Sorry for the food tangent, but you started talking about the food!! :p

As to Oz, the '39 classic, I've likely seen in 39 times, but not because I love it so much as I saw it on TV annually as a child until I was about 22 and I've seen it numerous times since than. A lot of fanbois also seem to love Judy Garland too. It isn't really a great film, but it has been seared into our national consciouness almost like having to take your brats to WDW!

Yes, and with that you just proved my point. I guess the year of release is one of the reasons why it never gained that much popularity here as it wasn't released here until the 1950s. Even though other films from that period became popular - like Gone with the Wind or even Casablanca (which by the way in the first version for the German market was dubbed in such a way so that the Nazis weren't Nazis, but gangster). However, despite that aspect of nostalgia it seems like it was the most seen film this weekend - but compared in generally I would not call it a good first weekend. It sold 271.000 tickets, John Carter of Mars sold 288.000 tickets on its first weekend last year...

TP2000

Which is why what Disney accomplished in the late 70s and early 80s was so impressive ... and why taking five years to create a relatively small-scale Fantasyland makeover just is sad.

Then there's the fact that while Disney was pouring a Billion bucks and all their heart into Epcot in the early 1980's, they were simultaneously planning and paying for a complete overhaul of Disneyland's aging Fantasyland. And that New Fantasyland that opened in spring 1983, about nine months after Epcot Center opened in October '82, was a full reskin and re-Imagineering, leaving nothing in the land untouched (except Matterhorn and Small World, which were physically removed from the land proper and already darn good rides).

You could use the 1.2 Billion dollar extreme makeover of DCA from 2009-12, with the opening of the fabulous Cars Land in June '12, as an excuse why they are stretched too thin there in Imagineering.

But thirty years ago they accomplished an even bigger feat by building Epcot in '82, plus a little thing called Tokyo Disneyland in '82, plus a full remake of Fantasyland for Disneyland in '83. And that was before all this new technology that allows for instant global communication from anywhere, and superfast computing and engineering, and a more developed contractor network for the themed entertainment industry.

TP2000

Why would they not cover that with glass? Yeah it's sad that people are doing that but it's just bad design to leave something so delicate like canvas unprotected.

Links to the pics: https://twitter.com/Schmoofy/status/310919414566486018/photo/1
https://twitter.com/Schmoofy/status/310919506421743616/photo/1

Those pictures are heartbreaking. And all within a few days (hours?) of the installation of that artwork.

And that's what has me the most worried about all this NGE Interactive Queue stuff. They are installing it in American parks, where Americans will walk by it and destroy it, and where thin Maintenance budgets won't allow it to be repaired. Our culture is devolving rather quickly here in the early 21st century, where every child is a "WINNER!" and "VERY SPECIAL, THE MOST SPECIAL PERSON EVER" and no one can be blamed for anything or held to any sort of standard for behavior. And admission prices of 90 bucks per day don't keep these types of people out, because there are more and more of these people in all socio-economic strata in America now.

This isn't Tokyo Disneyland, where the Japanese culture instills a strong sense of proper public behavior and decorum. This is America in 2013, and it's heartbreaking but not surprising that a framed piece of art in an E Ticket queue would be repeatedly defaced immediately after it was installed. As a patriotic American myself, it's even more heartbreaking.

Do the executives and brainfarts and Imagineers who are in charge of the MyMagic+ Fastpass+ NGE program EVER get out of their offices and into the parks? Do they have any idea what conditions a modern Disney theme park operates under now? Have they absolutely no front line experience with, you know, an operating theme park in 21st century America?!? :eek:

Figments Friend

Those pictures are heartbreaking. And all within a few days (hours?) of the installation of that artwork.

Do the executives and brainfarts and Imagineers who are in charge of the MyMagic+ Fastpass+ NGE program EVER get out of their offices and into the parks? Do they have any idea what conditions a modern Disney theme park operates under now? Have they absolutely no front line experience with, you know, an operating theme park in 21st century America?!? :eek:

Agree regarding the vandalized painting.

Agree even more with your thoughts above.
See, this is the problem. Imagineers DO indeed get out into the Parks and take note of issues, but the problem is the Uppers often do not. Upper Management and the purse holders are the gate keepers when it comes to actually getting things done or repaired. It is just as frustrating for the creatives to go into the Parks and see things not up to par as it is for a enthused Park Fan.

This reminds me of a quote from Walt from ages ago...where he was telling his orignal team at WED to get out into the Park and BE with the Guests. Ride with them, stand in line with them...eat with them. Walt exclaimed * For God*s sake, don*t eat on the lot ( at the Studio )*! So Walt fully understood the importance of actually getting out there into that space with your customers and experience EXACTLY what THEY were experiencing. You cannot get this from spread sheets, surveys, and a bunch of mathmatical numbers. There are still people in Imagineering that understand that, but from the outside it seems the opposite is true.

A shame that one of the people most aware of that importance is no longer at WDI....

Mouse Detective

Not sure what the Orlando Sentinel has been up to lately; on some Sundays USA Weekend is in there and on some Sundays it's Parade.

Although the Disney article yesterday was advertising fluff, the "father" did write this in his article"
Some warn of a fine line between Digital Mickey and Big Brother. — or, Big Mickey, if you will. Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., wrote Disney a letter this year, expressing concern over information being collected about children. Disney CEO Bob Iger wrote back, calling the senator “ill-informed” and insisting that Disney’s track record shows it would never manipulate children. So at least any readers who were not familiar with the issue at least got a small sense of it from the author.

yoyoflamingo

Did a quick read. And it just appears to be a placed PR story. Nothing major is delved into. We get the kid's view first. Doesn't explain things like TSMM doesn't have a seven-hour wait, just seven hours for FP return. And when the Imagineer is quoted about 'lines not being Disney-like', I had to LOL. Really?

Dad quotes experts like Lou Mongello and Len Testa to give the story 'authority' by 'independent' Disney followers.

When something like that appears in USA Today it comes from Zenia Mucha's people.

My favorite part is the top 10 rides list from the family members:
http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20130308/LIVING01/130304001

Piggy Bank Adventure in Innoventions, MILF, Kali, And Bug's Life play area (seriously) - for the kid. Mom and Dad's include Sci Fi Dine in, Victoria and Albert's (Guess restaurants do count as attractions), and Dinosaur Roller Coaster (whatever that is). Some pretty uninspired choices, which makes me nervous for the tastes of the typical family. It's good to see Spaceship Earth, ToT, and Splash on the lists, even in the state they're in, but the list is a very interesting mix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom