Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Ahh yes, Epic Mickey 2, the game so successful the studio that made it got closed down. The game did not perform well, I'll just let wikipedia sum it up though the quote below leaves out the terrible reviews the game recieved, opting to call them "moderate success," instead.

Fair enough, like I said I don't really follow Interactive. I had heard the game was good and I know some people in the industry that said they made some good financial maneuvers. I had heard good things about Epic Mickey but it only sold about a million copies.

Anyway nice snarky first post on your 3 year old account.

Cliff Racer

Fair enough, like I said I don't really follow Interactive. I had heard the game was good and I know some people in the industry that said they made some good financial maneuvers. I had heard good things about Epic Mickey but it only sold about a million copies.

Anyway nice snarky first post on your 3 year old account.
I actually tried to make a new account only to find out that I already registered with my standard username/password combo. Anyways, I don't often find anything worth commenting on, other people either beat me to things or the comments I would respond to are too old to be relevant to the thread's discussion.

The real make or break for Interactive, I suspect, will be Star Wars 1313 in FY 2014 and Disney's upcoming Skylanders clone.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I actually tried to make a new account only to find out that I already registered with my standard username/password combo. Anyways, I don't often find anything worth commenting on, other people either beat me to things or the comments I would respond to are too old to be relevant to the thread's discussion.

The real make or break for Interactive, I suspect, will be Star Wars 1313 in FY 2014 and Disney's upcoming Skylanders clone.

Yeah, I think LucasArts is a big plus for Interactive moving forward.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but the picture of Tony was put up in the BTMRR queue, and it's already been destroyed. Saw pics of it on Twitter, under the handle of Schmoofy. Disgusting, period. I'll try to figure out how to post a link, but if you can get on Twitter, go check the pics out. UGH.
Could you please describe "destroyed? What happened to it?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Planes in August. Delivery Man is the Dreamworks/Touchstone release this year, sched'd in October.

Ah yes, how could I forget Planes ... all that merchandise Disney is counting on moving!

And don't know much about Delivery Man (why I forgot it) but it is Dreamworks and a Spielberg project.

Point being, Disney doesn't release enough films anymore and there's no diversity/originality.

Going forward, you'll get two Marvel films a year, 1-2 Pixar films, one WDFA film and 1-2 tentpoles like Pirates 5 etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just adding in when we hear all the babble of the "cost" of a film, it's so much more detailed and not cut and dry as advertised. Take an example of a picture costing $200 million bucks, blah, blah, blah. From script rights to production deals, lots of these costs get clumped in as actual costs of the films, but these expenses many times are actually part of other budgets, yet publicly lumped in as the cost of a film let alone the fact that they can be carried over several fiscal years. You have a production deal with a certain producer for five pictures and they slice the contract in fifths and attach the cost to each picture. In reality, they're paying the premium for whomever it is as cost of doing business and their services. Ugh. I'm going to get going on a rant. I'm stopping. ;)

No, I agree. And I like to talk with others who actually understand the business. ... I first learned about how Studios play with $$$ when Paramount was trying to convince the world that Forrest Gump wasn't going to make money for them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My better half, and I have an opinion on it, and want to hear yours.

Did a quick read. And it just appears to be a placed PR story. Nothing major is delved into. We get the kid's view first. Doesn't explain things like TSMM doesn't have a seven-hour wait, just seven hours for FP return. And when the Imagineer is quoted about 'lines not being Disney-like', I had to LOL. Really?

Dad quotes experts like Lou Mongello and Len Testa to give the story 'authority' by 'independent' Disney followers.

When something like that appears in USA Today it comes from Zenia Mucha's people.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but the picture of Tony was put up in the BTMRR queue, and it's already been destroyed. Saw pics of it on Twitter, under the handle of Schmoofy. Disgusting, period. I'll try to figure out how to post a link, but if you can get on Twitter, go check the pics out. UGH.

Well, that's just a perfect excuse for them to remove it now, isn't it?

I mean, they don't know what pigs many guests are and don't understand you put art under glass or away from hands or both.

Lee

Adventurer
Dad quotes experts like Lou Mongello and Len Testa to give the story 'authority' by 'independent' Disney followers.
ROTFLMAO.gif

alphac2005

No, I agree. And I like to talk with others who actually understand the business. ... I first learned about how Studios play with $$$ when Paramount was trying to convince the world that Forrest Gump wasn't going to make money for them.

If people think the MBA crowd is well employed at TDO, they ain't seen nothing compared to what those studios have going for them in working magic with numbers. :) I, too, really enjoy talking to those who get it and actually understand it all. It's an modern form of art for the studios to cry poor and to claim a loss on a film to screw creative.

janoimagine

My better half, and I have an opinion on it, and want to hear yours.

I know I am not the great spirit, but I did see the insert you were talking about ... and when I read that the kid's father was one of the main editors for USA Today and his mother was a teacher on the mom's panel, I stopped reading the 'fluff' and placed it in my circular file. I found the article to be overly self serving and propagandaish (if their is such a word) at best.

the.dreamfinder

If people think the MBA crowd is well employed at TDO, they ain't seen nothing compared to what those studios have going for them in working magic with numbers. :) I, too, really enjoy talking to those who get it and actually understand it all. It's an modern form of art for the studios to cry poor and to claim a loss on a film to screw creative.
Or demand free money from various cities, states/provinces, and nations...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom