Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

lazyboy97o

And trying to blame that on the cash cows that were Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom would be an extreme historical revision. What really killed the company was the very weak live-action division (first and foremost and what was considered the "bread and butter" of the studio), the increasingly poor value of television (with NBC dumping Disney and no cable channel yet), the infrequency of new animated features (3-4 years apart), the spending related to EPCOT Cener, Tokyo Disney and New Fantasyland happening all at once and the lack of new diversification and creative drive. THAT was what nearly killed the company, not trying to make MK look decent.
Yep. Disney stayed afloat because of their theme park operations. The losses at the Studio were covered by the profits from Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

OFTeric

I love a good conspiracy theory more than the next guy, but wouldn't the fact that the south airport exit & 417 are the quickest way to property factor in?

No. You add about 5 mins per trip by not taking 528 (if traveling to the Grand Floridian)

OFTeric

Ok please anyone correct me if I am wrong... but this recollection goes back to conversations had 10 years ago now.

10 years ago when I was working for the Mouse, I was was told by some people in positions of power at the time, that there were plans to develop the entire resort.

One of the reasons (please correct me if I am wrong here @WDW1974 or @Lee) that WDW bought the 8,500 acres in the mid 1990's was so that they could get around 1/3rd rule for development at the property. (A rule now I am sure no one actually care about)

With the plan being to develop the current WDW property as much as possible.

The big hiccups were:
1. Celebration not panning out and not turning into the much larger development they wanted it to
2. Large scale development moving away from the western side of the property leaving the entire western beltway barren of the large resort developments that the various municipalities, counties and Disney were counting on when it was built.

However we have continued to see Disney selling off land with
1. Golden Oaks
2. 4 Seasons

And Disney turning over as many operations to 3rd party participants
1. Valet
2. Golf Courses
3. 3rd Shift Cleaning Crews

And then Disney had the 3rd Party participant plan that went wrong aka Pleasure Island clubs.

So tying back to Pal Mickey this has been a long time coming, and we are finally seeing that the point of no return looks like.

kittybubbles

Great thoughts, comments, discussions and all in this thread!

I spent this weekend staying on property at WDW and I just cannot imagine how far off we are from NEXTGEN really rolling out. I would have thought they were much closer than they seem to be.

I noticed that the My Disney Experience APP is a lot more complete on Apple products than it is on Andriod products. W/ iOS, you seem to be tied to your account so you can see your dining reservations...with a CC tied to the account, you can reserve a resturant tha requires a credit card, for Andriod, you have to call if there is an opening that requires a credit card guarantee.

I found the 'touch to pay' experience pretty poor most of the time. When I was at Animal Kingdom, I was told the system was down each time I tried to use it there. Other times, I found the screen reading 'Thank You' as opposed to 'Tap or Swipe' until the cashier did something or other or just finally took my card to run it themselves.

The current process for me (as a pass holder) was really pretty weak whe. It did work. I know the idea behind the MagicBand is that I won't need to get my room key out, but for now, I had my room key, got my pass out to show for my discount, the had to get my picture ID out to show I owned the pass...get the Mickey head to light up....type in my pin...then I needed to sign for the room charge...I found the last part a little silly...if I used a debit card, a pin would be enough...if I used a credit card, I wouldn't have to sign for a charge under $50...so for me, the touch to pay experience quickly became more of a hassle than other options.

I can't imagine them being anywhere near ready for the bans to come out...the APP wasn't that reliable the few times I tried to use it...oh we'll, I guess it is kind of new and will get better over time.

Oh yeah, I heard someone saying that Disney (ESPN) was willing to build a football stadium if the NFl would guarantee them a certain number of Super Bowls as well as make the 3 FL teams play at least one home game there every year...if there is any truth to this, I am sure they would expect help from the state with the cost of this....might not be a horrible idea as I imagine it would be a good draw...but it seems like an interesting idea if there is any truth to it....

Disneyhead'71

I'd be more satisfied about Universal's future compared to Disney's if I saw some other great attractions being planned outside of Harry Potter.
I really have to ask what the hell you are smoking? Universal has a full blown E-Ticket (that they have built is 12 months) that beat out Radiator Springs Racers for best new attraction of the year opening in 3 months. They have the Springfield expansion, a Lagoon Show for IOA, and Cabana Bay Resort under construction. They are going to break ground on a multi attraction Jurassic Park Expansion all before the WWOHP 2.0 opens. That is roughly a Billion dollars worth of expansion that will open right around the time the WDW can get the new Fantasyland Kiddie Coaster open. Oh, I forgot, WDW has Billion $$$$ MagicBracelets.

the.dreamfinder

Oh yeah, I heard someone saying that Disney (ESPN) was willing to build a football stadium if the NFl would guarantee them a certain number of Super Bowls as well as make the 3 FL teams play at least one home game there every year...if there is any truth to this, I am sure they would expect help from the state with the cost of this....might not be a horrible idea as I imagine it would be a good draw...but it seems like an interesting idea if there is any truth to it....
Interesting. I'd also like to point out that the land PI is on could fit a pretty nice baseball stadium. Rays?

JLW11Hi

I really have to ask what the hell you are smoking? Universal has a full blown E-Ticket (that they have built is 12 months) that beat out Radiator Springs Racers for best new attraction of the year opening in 3 months. They have the Springfield expansion, a Lagoon Show for IOA, and Cabana Bay Resort under construction. They are going to break ground on a multi attraction Jurassic Park Expansion all before the WWOHP 2.0 opens. That is roughly a Billion dollars worth of expansion that will open right around the time the WDW can get the new Fantasyland Kiddie Coaster open. Oh, I forgot, WDW has Billion $$$$ MagicBracelets.

Ok. The main point of the post was comparing the anomaly of John Lasseter's influence on Cars Land to the unique situation of JK Rowling's influence on Potter. I regret posting that last part because it is all anyone has commented on yet.

scpergj

Well, I know that was a rumour with the Jaguars, as well as the team splitting time between Jacksonville and Orlando, each getting four games. I think that is now out of the question where the Jags have not had a blackout in the last two seasons, and they are committed to playing a home game in each of the next three seasons in London.

Anyone know how Miami and Tampa are doing with attendance? It would be interesting to see a Football/Soccer staduim built there - maybe even make it a baseball staduim also so that it could be in use year round?

Pixiedustmaker

Blue Ocean isn't about not having competition, it's about ignoring the competition and simply exploiting the customer base you've already developed.

Disneyland, at least/especially when Walt was alive, was not about taking the guests for granted. A genuine effort was made to provide the highest quality experience possible.

The reason the competition couldn't catch up was because Disney had the resources to be the best and actually used them. These days they still have the resources, but elect not to use them because they believe there are better ways of making money (and they're wrong, if you ask me).

Well . . . based on a cursory search on what Blue Ocean is, it seems based on Wiki that the definition is:

"Blue oceans, in contrast, denote all the industries not in existence today – the unknown market space, untainted by competition. In blue oceans, demand is created rather than fought over."

The whole "exploiting customers" is just inflammatory rhetoric from those who don't like NextGen for other reasons, not that they are philosophically opposed to Blue Ocean Strategy, IMHO.

Pixiedustmaker

Disneyland was the opposite, in my opinion. Disneyland was an attempt to innovate and plus what had been done before, or in effect to both grow the current audience of the day and attract new customers to something that had never been seen or done before.

From Wiki, the definition of "Blue Ocean":

"Blue oceans, in contrast, denote all the industries not in existence today – the unknown market space, untainted by competition. In blue oceans, demand is created rather than fought over."

Disneyland very much did something that wasn't done before and opened up an unknown market space.

Pixiedustmaker

In the end, the guests/customers do have the final say. If NextGen is a success, and it may well be a hit with certain customers, then we will see this program continued. If for some reason it is not over the next 2,3 . . . 5? years it isn't, then they'll do away with it—but I kinda doubt it because society seems to be getting more high tech, not less, and today's teenagers/young adults seem to love smart phones and all of the apps they have. Makes sense that Disney utilizes this portable computing power a lot of us carrying around in our pockets.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I suggest using one of the Universal Orlando Resorts as base camp. And remember one thing. Universal is NOT Disney and they are not trying to be. They don't rely on "nostalgia". They rely on "WOW Factor". Their resorts and the service at them are noticeably better than Disney's. If you really are afraid that you'll be disappointed stay at Portofino Bay. It is their top shelf resort and it is a very nice hotel. Their headline attractions are "AMAZING". And I would plan a day at SeaWorld.

Busch Gardens Tampa is a great park, but it doesn't have the atmosphere that Busch Gardens Williamsburg has. But it is still a fine park in it's own right.

The first time I planned a trip to Orlando that didn't include WDW was a sad day for me. When I got home from that trip I was amazingly pleased with my decision to walk away from the mouse. While the parks at Universal are more high energy than WDW, the overall tone of the resort experience was more relaxing. I didn't feel like I had to rush everywhere to see everything. We actually took time to relax at the pool that wasn't crammed between 2:00pm Space Mountain FP return times and 5:30 ADRs at AnyRestaurant in World Showcase. I felt like I could have a Cheese Board and a bottle of wine at The Thristy Fish while sitting Harbor Side and still go back to the park and ride a few rides without rushing. And if you really want to relax, get a massage at the Mandara Spa at Portofino Bay Resort. While it's not Disney, it'll do.

1280x504_548_8bf4357c17fcfca1caa3b8b1e264161a.jpg

Unless they've seen the MiraCosta Hotel in Tokyo....the EXACT same hotel concept but done MUCH bigger and done in a MUCH nicer way. I do like the Portofino Bay, but its just missing something...the times I've been there, its been dead, activity wise, maybe that's what it is. MiraCosta is IN Tokyo DisneySea, so perhaps there's a difference due to that.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
One of the problems with IOA is lack of people eating smaller attractions. Most of the smaller attractions are limited interest and capacity. Like the trolly, long wait for such small payoff. Also if it wasn't interested in making as much noise it would be more enjoyable/tolerable. They also have a spotty history with the stage show in toon lagoon. I will say only had to dodge 5 ECVs today :D

Most of the attractions are high on the *thrill* factor as well, there's not really any slow-moving dark rides like you have at the other parks. Even the Cat in the Hat spins a lot.

lazyboy97o

In the end, the guests/customers do have the final say. If NextGen is a success, and it may well be a hit with certain customers, then we will see this program continued. If for some reason it is not over the next 2,3 . . . 5? years it isn't, then they'll do away with it—but I kinda doubt it because society seems to be getting more high tech, not less, and today's teenagers/young adults seem to love smart phones and all of the apps they have. Makes sense that Disney utilizes this portable computing power a lot of us carrying around in our pockets.
People don't adopt technology en mass because it is new. It has to work. Having your phone die because its constantly trying to connect to a lousy WiFi signal to use a half baked app is not going to win people over.

culturenthrills

I feel the same about KA cool set up/stage but it didn't deliver in my opinion. I was in Vegas in April of 2011 they weren't quite begging people to come yet. It just did not look like Cirque However I saw Kooza when it came to town and i thought it was the best traveling show since Quidam and even with La Nouba.

I haven't had a chance to see Ka but O was simply the most amazing show I have ever seen. My jaw was on the floor so many times during the show and I love the music for it. Quidam is still my favorite touring show. Great music, acts and design. Can't wait to see the arena version when it hits Orlando later this year.

Lee

Adventurer
Ok please anyone correct me if I am wrong... but this recollection goes back to conversations had 10 years ago now.

10 years ago when I was working for the Mouse, I was was told by some people in positions of power at the time, that there were plans to develop the entire resort.

One of the reasons (please correct me if I am wrong here @WDW1974 or @Lee) that WDW bought the 8,500 acres in the mid 1990's was so that they could get around 1/3rd rule for development at the property. (A rule now I am sure no one actually care about)

With the plan being to develop the current WDW property as much as possible.

The big hiccups were:
1. Celebration not panning out and not turning into the much larger development they wanted it to
2. Large scale development moving away from the western side of the property leaving the entire western beltway barren of the large resort developments that the various municipalities, counties and Disney were counting on when it was built.

However we have continued to see Disney selling off land with
1. Golden Oaks
2. 4 Seasons

And Disney turning over as many operations to 3rd party participants
1. Valet
2. Golf Courses
3. 3rd Shift Cleaning Crews

And then Disney had the 3rd Party participant plan that went wrong aka Pleasure Island clubs.

So tying back to Pal Mickey this has been a long time coming, and we are finally seeing that the point of no return looks like.
Sounds right.
Back then, there was still some fight in the mouse. Some desire to do everything bigger and better than anyone else. Better rides, nicer hotels, better entertainment districts and other activities.

That's long gone.

Now, rather than trying to compete, Disney has just decided to play a whole different game. A game in which they are making up the rules to try and guarantee success. It's a risk, and one I hope falls flat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom