Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

articos

That's an interesting thought...

How do you convince your kids to hang out at the hotel to watch a movie.. when the alternative is the MK?

I remember doing non-park events back in the early eighties because there was only the two parks. We would do the campfire at FW.. canoeing.. water ski'ing.. rent the boats, etc.

Disney is in a bit of a catch-22.. competing with themselves basically.
This is one of the points I mention when discussing then and now. If you keep the parks open, you are naturally going to see a decrease in the numbers of other activities. Then when those activities don't make their targets, they get cut. Self-fulfilling death spiral.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I enjoyed it the past few times Ive seen it actually, everything seemed to be working ok just a couple of weeks ago.
ROE? It's falling apart. Despite winning another award, the crews just can't get the budget they need to do much needed TLC to keep the 1999 show running let alone any plussing. Product changes aside due to supply issues there are a lot of issues, from infrastructure to ALF to torches. They do what they can.

parker4fm

I actively go to both WDW and DL. I've seen both versions of Fantasmic and WoC. There's no doubt that Disneyland has a superior version compared to WDW. That said, I do not think it is feasible to place WoC where Fantasmic currently is...at least not without changing the seating layout. I also believe that the Walt Disney company would want to keep a few things unique to DCA. They need the attendance in that park. On the flip side, taking out F! in WDW and replacing it with WoC would save major costs in terms of man power.

articos

It's about perspective.. you are taking it from the employee POV.. I'm taking it from the customer POV. From my chair.. if Disney needs more hours - maybe they should be better staffed? If they were staffed like they had been, and couldn't get things done.. I'd have more sympathy. But as long as the attendance demand is there, Disney should be maintaining those late hours IMHO. I would support taking attractions offline for a morning/etc if there are specific things that need more effort. But most of the time I would expect such things to be scheduled anyways and could be scheduled on evenings where things aren't so back to back.

And besides.. if WDW had enough attractions, they wouldn't need to keep the same park open late each night, but could rotate.
Yes and no. I'm taking it from both the company/show quality's POV and the customer's POV. I was a customer of Disney before I started having any involvement in the industry. I try to balance what's best for both in my arguments. But I also look at things from the perspective of what's likely to happen.

Agreed on most of the above - if they need to operate for guest satisfaction, they should. But they shouldn't sacrifice show quality just to stay open, and that is the general operation now. I'm not saying they couldn't do both if the money was being spent, in a perfect world. And there's also something to be said for just leaving certain experiences - like being in the Magic Kingdom late at night - for special occasions.

EpcotFanForever

ROE? It's falling apart. Despite winning another award, the crews just can't get the budget they need to do much needed TLC to keep the 1999 show running let alone any plussing. Product changes aside due to supply issues there are a lot of issues, from infrastructure to ALF to torches. They do what they can.

It's not the crews - they do the best with what they have. It's just the "brand milking" that Disney is doing to maximize return from the parks. A collective desertion of the parks is the only way to solve that, and it won't happen for a long, long time.

BTW - I didn't comment on the disaster that is CoP. The 40's scene is starting to look like a slum, and is a symbol for all that WDW has become.

As for my experiences with RFID room keys and trying to get a stopped drain fixed at OKW, I could go on and on.

articos

It's not the crews - they do the best with what they have. It's just the "brand milking" that Disney is doing to maximize return from the parks. A collective desertion of the parks is the only way to solve that, and it won't happen for a long, long time.

BTW - I didn't comment on the disaster that is CoP. The 40's scene is starting to look like a slum, and is a symbol for all that WDW has become.

As for my experiences with RFID room keys and trying to get a stopped drain fixed at OKW, I could go on and on.
The team that last rehab'd CoP has been lobbying for a while now to go back in to clean it up and update the final show-scene.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

It may be falling apart in some respects, but specifically the inferno barge and the torches all seemed to be working the past few times I saw it. That's what I meant.

I don't watch it often enough to know what isn't perfect (except the fountains)

Goofyernmost

Yes, just like this year, having record profits and no pay raises just a stupid bonus. But management will get pay raises.

Just a stupid bonus? Many would have been very happy with "just" that! Times are tough, that doesn't mean that Disney is having any problems but the economy and the unemployment situation is at a place where they can be as cheap as they want to be. They didn't even have to give out a bonus. Isn't getting a bonus kind of like getting a one time pay raise?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just a stupid bonus? Many would have been very happy with "just" that! Times are tough, that doesn't mean that Disney is having any problems but the economy and the unemployment situation is at a place where they can be as cheap as they want to be. They didn't even have to give out a bonus. Isn't getting a bonus kind of like getting a one time pay raise?

Depends on the bonus. If the bonus is a hundred dollar bill in a Christmas card than no. If it's 10% of your pay then yeah sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom