Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, I just laughed out loud at this. For both the right and wrong reasons.
Same here, that clip is absolutely hilarious and never fails to get a laugh from me. It was funny (if a little bit disturbing) even when the movie was new. Nowadays though the clip serves as such an incredibly potent bit of irony and I find myself amused by it for completely different and more unfortunate reasons (getting more hilarious AND painful to watch as time goes on and things worsen at WDW).

It certainly goes to show how Disney themselves used to look down upon other cheap theme parks that didn't put in acceptable maintenance and quality into their attractions. It was once a well known point of pride with Disney (something that was a good thing to be proud of). My how times have changed. The shoe is on the other foot now.

Goofyernmost

Depends on the bonus. If the bonus is a hundred dollar bill in a Christmas card than no. If it's 10% of your pay then yeah sure.

I guess that I look at things differently. Even if it's just $100.00 in a Christmas card, it's $100.00 that you didn't have before and they didn't have to give you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying anything for Disney. It's just that sometimes I think generally expectations are a little overboard.

I can remember back in the late 70's, I worked as the manager of a printing/publishing company owned by one person. It was small time by any definition. I gave my graphic arts supervisor a $300.00 bonus, which at the time was fairly generous. She called me and told me that unless her bonus was much higher, like around 1K she wasn't coming in to work. This was during the last week of our busiest time. Hell, I only got $400.00 myself and I was responsible for the entire place. I told her I wasn't going to be able to give anymore then what she had already received. She told me, that she wasn't coming in. I said, OK, it's your choice, I'm not going to send the police after you. Anyway, she missed the heavy work time, causing everyone else to work extra to cover her absence. On the following Monday she marched into my office, sat down and smugly said...are you ready to talk now? I said yes I am, here's your final check and have a nice life. Her jaw dropped about two inches and she just sat there stunned looking. I told her I had some stuff to do so if there was nothing else, she could find her way out.

If you say to the unhappy person, well, leave go to a different place where you will be appreciated more, the response will always be...well, I can't there are no jobs out there. And there you have the reason why!

bsiev1977

... from a quickee holiday visit to WDW and UNI this week.

Let's start with the stuff you likely don't know.

EMH. You like it? You don't? You are ambivalent? Well, doesn't matter because plans are to eliminate it. First step was cutting night hours down from three to two. Look for that to drop more and nights to slowly get eliminated. They'll cut back mornings lastly as they are more popular, but look for DAK to lose a morning soon as well.

The reason? Resort guests will be getting a perq (using Queen's English here) in the form of extra FP+ so that will allow them to ride as much as the extra time allegedly does. It's all about eliminating labor hours for ops, while telling guests it's the amount of rides they get, not when they get them that matters.

Upset that Fantasmic looks like a disaster? Well, it seems that maintenance has basically been told not to fix anything that breaks or doesn't work because the show isn't long for the park. Let the WoC rumours commence.

EPCOT truly looks sad at the holidays with such little decoration. And c'mon guys, can't you at least keep all the lights on the tree working? Or maybe add some more pyro back to RoE (tag nonwithstanding)?

New Fantasyland? ... Where do I even start. Maybe tomorrow or Monday. ... But while what's there looks detailed and nice (and it does), can I also state that The Port of Entry at IOA is just as detailed or more and that ET is a better ride in 2012 than Little Mermaid is? Oh, I just did.

Gotta remember to also plug the best new thing at the MK that no one seems to want to talk about (no, it isn't pork shanks at Gaston's ... or the new interactive game Help Gary Buchanan Find His Missing Dragon!)

More to come you can be sure ...

May I ask what your source is for these statements?

TalkingHead

Same here, that clip is absolutely hilarious and never fails to get a laugh from me. It was funny (if a little bit disturbing) even when the movie was new. Nowadays though the clip serves as such an incredibly potent bit of irony and I find myself amused by it for completely different and more unfortunate reasons (getting more hilarious AND painful to watch as time goes on and things worsen at WDW).

It certainly goes to show how Disney themselves used to look down upon other cheap theme parks that didn't put in acceptable maintenance and quality into their attractions. It was once a well known point of pride with Disney (something that was a good thing to be proud of). My how times have changed. The shoe is on the other foot now.

It is an odd scene -- obviously spoofing CBJ's hillbilly theme as well as the crummy robotics. The life of a costumed
character is also parodied pretty well -- ironic how central that is to WDW today.

But how great would it be to see that clip intercut with pictures of broken Splash Mountain, Maelstrom, nets around the Tree of Life, broken Yeti...

asianway

I guess that I look at things differently. Even if it's just $100.00 in a Christmas card, it's $100.00 that you didn't have before and they didn't have to give you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying anything for Disney. It's just that sometimes I think generally expectations are a little overboard.

I can remember back in the late 70's, I worked as the manager of a printing/publishing company owned by one person. It was small time by any definition. I gave my graphic arts supervisor a $300.00 bonus, which at the time was fairly generous. She called me and told me that unless her bonus was much higher, like around 1K she wasn't coming in to work. This was during the last week of our busiest time. Hell, I only got $400.00 myself and I was responsible for the entire place. I told her I wasn't going to be able to give anymore then what she had already received. She told me, that she wasn't coming in. I said, OK, it's your choice, I'm not going to send the police after you. Anyway, she missed the heavy work time, causing everyone else to work extra to cover her absence. On the following Monday she marched into my office, sat down and smugly said...are you ready to talk now? I said yes I am, here's your final check and have a nice life. Her jaw dropped about two inches and she just sat there stunned looking. I told her I had some stuff to do so if there was nothing else, she could find her way out.

If you say to the unhappy person, well, leave go to a different place where you will be appreciated more, the response will always be...well, I can't there are no jobs out there. And there you have the reason why!
Was that Scrooge & Marleys publishing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I was responding specifically to this question:
Isn't getting a bonus kind of like getting a one time pay raise?

Even though they don't have to pay anything, a token bonus, like my example of $100, is definitely not equal to a one time pay raise unless you consider a 0.1% increase a raise.

Goofyernmost

I was responding specifically to this question:

Even though they don't have to pay anything, a token bonus, like my example of $100, is definitely not equal to a one time pay raise unless you consider a 0.1% increase a raise.

For that one week it was a $100.00 pay raise, it just didn't follow to the next week. All in how one looks at things.

I'm not saying that this should matter but if you give all 55,000 employees a $100.00 bonus that amounts to $5,500,000.00 dollars. One has to really look at the big picture here. I guess that doesn't seem like a lot of money to some, but it is a good sized chunk of change none the less. And that's if it's just $100.00.

Goofyernmost

Ok. I gotcha now. I thought you meant the equivalent of receiving your full year pay raise up front.

I understand and many companies are doing just that now. They are giving substantial bonus's as a one time yearly pay raise. If everything goes well the next year they might repeat it, if business is off then the only amount they have to worry about is what they have been paying all along.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand and many companies are doing just that now. They are giving substantial bonus's as a one time yearly pay raise. If everything goes well the next year they might repeat it, if business is off then the only amount they have to worry about is what they have been paying all along.

That's pretty much how it is where I work. The pay raises have been tiny for about 5 years now, but if we have a good year we get a nice bonus. Even with small raises the employment cost is still going up dramatically since the cost of health insurance seems to go up 10%+ every year. That is probably a big issue with WDW too. It's probably also why they use more contractors.

Goofyernmost

That's pretty much how it is where I work. The pay raises have been tiny for about 5 years now, but if we have a good year we get a nice bonus. Even with small raises the employment cost is still going up dramatically since the cost of health insurance seems to go up 10%+ every year. That is probably a big issue with WDW too. It's probably also why they use more contractors.

I just got my notice from Social Security that my pay will be going up $16.00 per month. Now I can buy that BMW I've had my eye on. They also opted to not give me a bonus, cheap SOB's.:D

Cody5242

Wow, I must finally be understanding TDO's brain. See here for my theory on NextGen's big impact:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/nextgen-deep-impact.857159/page-2#post-5244711

#2 on the list is eliminating EMH.

Epcot looking sad for the holidays? Yup. Even my teenagers commented on this during our Black Friday stop at Epcot. We would have spent more time but were too excited to head to Universal to use our $199 Annual Passes!

New Fantasyland looking pretty? Yup. It's funny how something can look pretty if it's new and hasn't been given enough time to rot. Let's see what it looks like 10 years from now.

Port of Entry at IOA looks detailed? Yup. I just love walking through Port of Entry, the same way I used to feel about Main Street USA.

E.T. Adventure is a better ride than Little Mermaid? Yup. Girls under the age of 10 should love Little Mermaid. I'm not sure how many others will want to do it more than once. Little Mermaid is not exactly a HM or PotC.
Yes let's just keep sucking Universals $&@# are we now saying the FLE is not good because IOA has something that looks just as good? Every time I go to universal studios I'm done by everything by 3. Same with IOA. Despicable Me pales in comparison to star tours and their shows just arnt good. I know it will improve once transformers and Harry potter but right now I still think HS is better. I think PoE is okay looking but the only lands I like in that is HP and Jurassic park. Universal I'd stepping up their game but people need stop trying to make universal sound like the best damn place in Orlando right now even though deep down inside you don't think so

td1129

I totally agree! I have discovered many things that are great to look at and feel in New Fantasyland that were all new to me when it first soft opened. Yet, going to Islands of Adventure years later walking down Port of Entry I still find new details and inside jokes. From Different soundtracks in the restrooms of all places(yes, make up your own jokes there) to the custom scores throughout the rest of the areas. Tons of hidden things to discover and much kinetic activity going around. Port of Entry is far more immserive in my opinion too.

Glad to know you find someone with an opinion delusional.

Yeah, the guy just comes here to "express opinions". Definitely not to troll. He never, ever trolls. Wake up.

BryceM

Despicable Me pales in comparison to star tours and their shows just arnt good.
A more fair comparison (not saying Despicable Me isn't just as great) would be Star Tours and The Simpsons Ride. Now there's a tough choice on which is better!

Cody5242

I
A more fair comparison (not saying Despicable Me isn't just as great) would be Star Tours and The Simpsons Ride. Now there's a tough choice on which is better!
I was disappointed with the Simpsons ride though maybe it was because I waited two hours for it on a hot summer day...

Lee

Adventurer
I'm not calling him a troll but I feel like you can't compare the FLE to a entrance of a theme park
Sure you can.
Not on the basis of attractions, but for quality of work, theme and detailing.

Star Tours crushes Simpsons, IMNSHO.
But, that may be because I was fond of Back to the Future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom