Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The germ-a-phobe in me despises most of the interactive elements. The honey wall in the Pooh queue...ugh. I need a hazmat suit to even stand next to it. No more interactive queues....please.

I would think you come into contact with 100s of things in the parks that have been touched just as much if not more then the items in an interactive queue.

ToTBellHop

I would think you come into contact with 100s of things in the parks that have been touched just as much if not more then the items in an interactive queue.
Yes. Far more disgusting are likely the drinking fountains, paper towel dispensers, chairs/tables at restaurants, counter service counters, finger scanners at the entries, just about everything within arms' reach in the queues, etc.

The non-germaphobe in me reminds me that our species survived 1,000,000 years without Purell.

My cat doesn't wash his hands before eating.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The IQ at SM is kinda fun. In a bland but very thematic tunnel it is a fun deal. All others are junk. At least make them a slight bit educational of they HAVE to be there. History on the Caribbean, background on Pans creator, facts about the gold rush in '49, countdown order of checks in space.

Put a quiz at the end. If you fail then you cannot ride without rewaiting to learn the facts. Best way to teach!

The germ-a-phobe in me despises most of the interactive elements. The honey wall in the Pooh queue...ugh. I need a hazmat suit to even stand next to it. No more interactive queues....please.

Think about the guy who didn't wash his hands before getting his burger and used the spoon on the condiment bar minutes before you.

Think of the hundreds who had a nice sitdown in the bathroom who didn't wash and opened the same door you just opened.

Think about the sneezing coughing runny nosed 9yo who grabbed the same restraint bars on the rides you have.

Think about that dollar bill and quarter in your pocket.

Cosmic Commando

With FP+, if someone gets a 7:50 PM time for Soarin', they are more likely to be there. It's an appointment they scheduled months in advance. They go to DAK in the morning (maybe) and head over to Epcot for dinner. If someone doesn't understand FP+, they have had months to stare at the thing on their home computing devices, with WDW sending them email prompts that "it's time to book your FastPass Plus experiences". Even if they don't fully comprehend it, they are going to click buttons and make selections. People have been trained to do this. (I've started several polls only to have people effectively write, "I didn't understand the poll question but I made a selection anyway" or "I have no experience with the first 3 options but I've done the 4th option so I picked that one.":confused:) Once they make their selections, they've made an appointment and are more likely to keep it. FP+ should help WDW more accurately predict crowd levels which should help with efficiency if, as you allude, people don't end up confused by it. Despite WDW's best attempts, there still will be those stopping at MK Guest Services asking, "I've got a time for Expedition Everest. I can't find it on the park map. Where is it?"
You really think people are going to be MORE likely to keep their FP+ reservations? To me, it the difference between a coupon dispenser in the aisle at the supermarket and a mail-in rebate for the same item. Which one is more likely to be redeemed?

harveyt0206

The IQ at SM is kinda fun. In a bland but very thematic tunnel it is a fun deal. All others are junk. At least make them a slight bit educational of they HAVE to be there. History on the Caribbean, background on Pans creator, facts about the gold rush in '49, countdown order of checks in space.

Put a quiz at the end. If you fail then you cannot ride without rewaiting to learn the facts. Best way to teach!

Think about the guy who didn't wash his hands before getting his burger and used the spoon on the condiment bar minutes before you.

Think of the hundreds who had a nice sitdown in the bathroom who didn't wash and opened the same door you just opened.

Think about the sneezing coughing runny nosed 9yo who grabbed the same restraint bars on the rides you have.

Think about that dollar bill and quarter in your pocket.

Touché'

ParentsOf4

You really think people are going to be MORE likely to keep their FP+ reservations? To me, it the difference between a coupon dispenser in the aisle at the supermarket and a mail-in rebate for the same item. Which one is more likely to be redeemed?
You have a valid viewpoint but, yes, I think the majority will love having WDW tell them where to be and when to be there. They'll view it as helpful vacation planning.

You and I are WDW experts. We know more than 99% of the people who visit WDW. We sometimes forget how intimidating WDW is for the uninitiated.

Figments Friend

Valid point Parentsof4. It is extremely intimidating for newbies planning their first visit, or even the first few visits. Because of the growth on property, the plethora of options really can overwhelm someone. This was not the case back when it was just One Park...or even Two Parks. BIG big difference now...in so many ways.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You have a valid viewpoint but, yes, I think the majority will love having WDW tell them where to be and when to be there. They'll view it as helpful vacation planning.

You and I are WDW experts. We know more than 99% of the people who visit WDW. We sometimes forget how intimidating WDW is for the uninitiated.
I agree with this. Plus when someone who has never been to WDW but has seen all of the Pirates movies and has kids that love pirates sees that they can get a FP reservation for POtC they will jump all over it. They will have no clue that the ride never had a long wait anyway.

harveyt0206

Oh I completely agree with you. I'm not saying that I am able to or even really SHOULD avoid germs. I understand that our bodies, in general, are built to ward off most germs and that, in fact, fighting germs is how our bodies become stronger. I just get grossed out at when I actually think about it. Some things make me think about it more than others: finger scan at the entrance, interactive queues...you get the picture. :)

BigThunderMatt

Grocery stores still have in-aisle coupon dispensers?!?!

Goofyernmost

Oh I completely agree with you. I'm not saying that I am able to or even really SHOULD avoid germs. I understand that our bodies, in general, are built to ward off most germs and that, in fact, fighting germs is how our bodies become stronger. I just get grossed out at when I actually think about it. Some things make me think about it more than others: finger scan at the entrance, interactive queues...you get the picture. :)
Don't worry about the finger scan as much as you worry about touching your clothing after you have sat on a bus, or tram, or monorail, or ride.

I do have sympathy for those that have a germaphobic tendency, but I cannot understand why it cannot be taught that there is no way of escaping germs. They are everywhere. Our bodies produce germs and pick them up from everyplace. I'm glad that you are able to understand that, as you stated above, but I also hope that at some point in time you would be able to enjoy things without giving a thought to what the germ factor is.

lunchbox1175

There are pluses and minuses to both sides, in ways it would be fantastic to say "hey we have to leave and go to space mountain for our fast pass" and know that at the beginning of the day, but on the other side of that is "well we did space mountain, now what?" With this you have to plan out not only being there at your time but the hour up to and after it. So it takes out any of the spontinaity. Its different if you are at the park already and want to ride it, but get there and the line longer than you really want to wait, at this point you have a choice: get in line and wait or grab a fast pass and come back later. I don't understand this need to plan everything out, i have a friend that I am going to get to meet up with and he is trying to figure out every hour of every day at every park that they are going to hit up. It seems exhausting and I am just trying to help him out.

I have never heard anyone ever say, I went to WDW and didn't get to go on any of the rides that they really wanted to get on.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Valid point Parentsof4. It is extremely intimidating for newbies planning their first visit, or even the first few visits. Because of the growth on property, the plethora of options really can overwhelm someone. This was not the case back when it was just One Park...or even Two Parks. BIG big difference now...in so many ways.
Enough so that as a first timer... who was planning a trip to WDW... is suddenly looking at Disneyland... off property... 20 minutes from airport... hmm.

Something to think about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom