Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

lazyboy97o

Doesn't that apply to FP+ now too. If I am in line at POC at 12:30 with a 30 min wait but have a FP+ reservation for 1pm at BTMRR but the standby line is 60 minutes I am in line for both at the same time.
It does happen now, but the number of virtual spaces will be increased.

Understand that I am not trying to be argumentative with these questions it's just that the vast majority seem to really think FP+ is going to have a huge negative impact on their vacation. I understand the issue with people not wanting to book rides in advance. I get that, but I am still trying to understand how else it's going to impact me.
Disney is not just going to allow people to get Fastpasses early. They are going to be using your FastPass+ selections, your Advanced Dining Reservations and your FastPass+ for quick service dining to schedule employees. Operations will be based around this data and if you're not part you can wait, but staffing will be based around and focused on those who utilized the NextGen offerings.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am not sure how it will affect the day to day operations, but I hate the fact that it removes any spontenaity whatsoever from my vacation. What if I wake up and want to go to Epcot instead of the Magic Kingdom? Well, I can, but I may miss all the major attractions unless I am willing to stand in a two hour line. That's just not fun!

I totally get that. I am really trying to understand why standby lines will be longer now under FP+. That seems to be the general consensus.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney is not just going to allow people to get Fastpasses early. They are going to be using your FastPass+ selections, your Advanced Dining Reservations and your FastPass+ for quick service dining to schedule employees. Operations will be based around this data and if you're not part you can wait, but staffing will be based around and focused on those who utilized the NextGen offerings.

This makes sense. So for example if not many FP+ reservations are booked for a ride on a given day they may limit the number of ride cars available or maybe only use half the loading capacity since they are expecting lower crowds. I guess the same goes for entire parks. They could have less staff on hand making lines longer. This does seem like a very likely use for the information.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am not sure how it will affect the day to day operations, but I hate the fact that it removes any spontenaity whatsoever from my vacation. What if I wake up and want to go to Epcot instead of the Magic Kingdom? Well, I can, but I may miss all the major attractions unless I am willing to stand in a two hour line. That's just not fun!
That is exactly what Disney is trying to prevent you from doing. If you do that you will not be eating in a sit down restaurant. Disney wants you to plan your visit to maximize profits.

crispy

That is exactly what Disney is trying to prevent you from doing. If you do that you will not be eating in a sit down restaurant. Disney wants you to plan your visit to maximize profits.

I know. It's like they don't even pretend to care about the guest experience anymore. What's worse is that they are trying to put it in a pretty package and sell it like a perk. To quote Judge Judy, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

As someone who has visited WDW often, I can choose to navigate through this if I want to and still have a nice vacation. I can't imagine how frustrating this will be to first-time visitors who don't understand the need to book dining reservations and experiences 6 months out. It seems like they would want to make the guest experience as easy and "magical" as possible because they want repeat customers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know. It's like they don't even pretend to care about the guest experience anymore. What's worse is that they are trying to put it in a pretty package and sell it like a perk. To quote Judge Judy, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

As someone who has visited WDW often, I can choose to navigate through this if I want to and still have a nice vacation. I can't imagine how frustrating this will be to first-time visitors who don't understand the need to book dining reservations and experiences 6 months out. It seems like they would want to make the guest experience as easy and "magical" as possible because they want repeat customers.

This is just my opinion, but I think the "tourist" crowd will eat this up. They are going on a once in a lifetime or once in a while trip to WDW and are less worried about being spontaneous and more concerned with making sure they see everything. Those types of guests usually have no issues with booking ADRs and planning their trip 6 months or more in advance. To the more regular visitors who have been there a bunch and want to be more flexible the system will be a hassle.

crispy

This is just my opinion, but I think the "tourist" crowd will eat this up. They are going on a once in a lifetime or once in a while trip to WDW and are less worried about being spontaneous and more concerned with making sure they see everything. Those types of guests usually have no issues with booking ADRs and planning their trip 6 months or more in advance. To the more regular visitors who have been there a bunch and want to be more flexible the system will be a hassle.

That's an interesting perspective. I have helped a lot of people plan their trips, and most are really overwhelmed with the planning process and don't know where to begin. I don't see many of them being pleased with this.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That's an interesting perspective. I have helped a lot of people plan their trips, and most are really overwhelmed with the planning process and don't know where to begin. I don't see many of them being please with this.
Unless there is a "click this button and let us plan it for you" option which walks the purchaser through selecting the must have FPs and dining options. Probably for like $25 per guest or something like that.

lazyboy97o

There are still plenty confused by FastPass who think the big golf ball is in Disneyworld park and that Jaws is at Disney-Universal Animal Kingdom Studios Florida. Unless they're buying a pre scheduled package, I do not see people being allured by scheduling their vacation which is supposed to be a break from their over-scheduled lives.

Disneyhead'71

I don't think the once-in-a-lifetime guests will understand this system or that there is even a need to plan such things to the nth degree. If they did, I would imagine they would simply choose to go to the beach instead. Remember, they aren't married to the mouse, don't know what is really offered, or how really cool it really is.

This is designed for the people who sit at the computer on WDW.com planning "fantasy" WDW vacations they never plan to take as an escapist hobby. Admit it, you guys have done that in your free time just fo fun. I know I have.

ParentsOf4

I get the issues with HM, but that ride aside I'm still not sure how overall lines will be longer. Take a ride like POC or Small World which never have long waits and load fast. If you add FP+ to those rides either the FP riders will be absorbed in the normal flow and have no impact or the standby line gets longer. If the line gets longer than somewhere else a line is shorter. Again, the same number of people in the park and they can't be in 2 places at once so if they are in line at POC they can't be in line at BTMRR for example. It seems to me that while lines may be longer or shorter at different attractions it would all even out. Is that over simplifying things?
FP+ does not increase capacity, it only changes how it is distributed. Since onsite guests are losing EMH, they are going to want FP+ for popular attractions. (This will be how Disney convinces potential vacationers to spend more in order to stay onsite.) Since demand always exceeds supply for popular attractions, WDW will need to distribute more FP+ to onsite guests for these popular attractions. With more people in the FP+ lines, Standby lines for popular attractions will slow down.

harveyt0206

Just to chime in...

FP+ is expected to make Standby lines longer.

That's why they are adding interactive elements to the queues...so that the poor folks stuck in them will have something to do to distract them from the fact they are waiting an hour for Pirates or Mansion.

I whole heartedly admit that I fall on the side of a "pixie duster" when it comes to Disney discussions. I'm generally not a confrontational person, that's just my style with most things in life. But, I do read and consider opinions that may help me understand a particular situation. In this instance, I have been reading all the comments on Fastpass plus with great interest as I really don't think I fully understand what impact it will have on my vacations. But I am really trying to understand. With that said, if I start to regularly encounter hour long waits at Haunted Mansion and Pirates during my trips, that will be a problem for me. We typically head to WDW in September. I don't think I have ever waited longer than 30 minutes for either attraction. I understand that some attractions will always have longer waits, but HM and PotC should not be that long unless it's during the absolute busiest times of the year. If I start seeing waits of that magnitude for all rides during the slower September season, I will have to reconsider my vacation options. Maybe that makes me sound spoiled, and I suppose I am. I like my 10-15 minute waits.

KevinYee

The one and only way I could get behind FP+ is if it leads to SHORTER standby lines in 2014 than we had in 2012. I also have not seen Disney say out loud that lines will get longer. But if they do, what little "wait and see" attitude I had will evaporate.

KevinYee

Since demand always exceeds supply for popular attractions, WDW will need to distribute more FP+ to onsite guests for these popular attractions.

Unless they find the political will not to. If they restrict the supply of FP+ even for the hotel visitors, that makes the hotel room all the MORE valuable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unless there is a "click this button and let us plan it for you" option which walks the purchaser through selecting the must have FPs and dining options. Probably for like $25 per guest or something like that.

I am pretty sure they already have this. There was something in the FP+ fine print that was posted that referenced allowing the system to pick FP+ for you. I am sure that just like ADRs they will push you in that direction from the time you book.

Disneyhead'71

I expect shorter lines in 2014 simply because they aren't opening any real attendance driving attractions. Possibly a small bump in traffic for the 7DMT, but I can't see a small scale family coaster being a real attendance driver.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
There are going to be busy times when top attractions get booked fast. What remains to be seen is how fast will things fill up the rest of the time. Parentsof4's post is stating that there will be more FP+ reservations available than current FP so in theory you should have a better shot at getting one.

I do think they will probably synch up the ADR and FP+ windows so they are both 6 months with the theory being you book your rides and ADRs at the same time. Not saying I like it, but you point out a very real issue with the system.
This does NOT sound good.
With the help of this site (and easywdw), I had our November trip planned to the most minute detail; however, the word of the trip was "fluid". I kept saying to my SIL and nieces, "Check your calendar, this is our itinerary for the day, but our plans are fluid. We are not married to the schedule".
When we were able to score dinner ressies at BOG, we snatched them up, and bailed on our DHS afternoon/evening and changed the whole day to an MK day. As a result, we later needed to change a flex Epcot day to a DHS day.
FP+ will take away that flexibility. Score a BOG ressie, kiss off a TSMM fastpass plus. Doesn't sound like a fair trade to me. I am starting to think that the die-hards on this site might be right. I need to check underneath all the sofa cushions and see if I can find the extra thousand or so required for the flights to California ... or share the wealth with Universal, for a change.
I know it's early days and things may yet change, but I think the pixie dust I have admittedly been sniffing, is beginning to wear off.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's an interesting perspective. I have helped a lot of people plan their trips, and most are really overwhelmed with the planning process and don't know where to begin. I don't see many of them being pleased with this.
There are still plenty confused by FastPass who think the big golf ball is in Disneyworld park and that Jaws is at Disney-Universal Animal Kingdom Studios Florida. Unless they're buying a pre scheduled package, I do not see people being allured by scheduling their vacation which is supposed to be a break from their over-scheduled lives.

I don't think the once-in-a-lifetime guests will understand this system or that there is even a need to plan such things to the nth degree. If they did, I would imagine they would simply choose to go to the beach instead. Remember, they are married to the mouse, don't know what is really offered, or how really cool it really is.

This is designed for the people who sit at the computer on WDW.com planning "fantasy" WDW vacations they never plan to take as an escapist hobby. Admit it, you guys have done that in your free time just fo fun. I know I have.

Keep in mind that FP+ is limited to 4 attractions per day. We talk in generalizations about having to plan every minute of the day, but that is a bit of an exaggeration. Purely for example purposes, if you use your FP+ for Splash Mountain at 10am, Space Mountain at 8pm, a princess meet and greet at 1PM and a reserved spot for wishes that night you have used your 4 passes up. Other than being near Splash and Space Mountains at the respective times you are free to explore the MK as you choose. It's not like you have rides scheduled for every half hour. To me I don't see how it's that much different than getting to MK and collecting 3 or 4 fast passes which have return windows. I understand that some people want the freedom to decide in the morning to switch from MK to EPCOT and the system doesn't allow for that. For the tourist crowd if you tell them they are being given a chance to skip the lines and pick the rides and attractions they want to experience at a scheuled time I think a lot of people will see it as a perk.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, I agree on the new website. It seems to have lots of flaws still. But are you sure that your friend connected you with the dining reservations. It seems that one has to pick for every meal who is going to eat there besides the "lead reservation". He might not have done that.

It does have some flaws. Nothing is perfect, though. Not even me. ... I don't like the current set-up, though. What if I don't want Disney to know who I am dining with. Let's say I'm dining with a favorite fanboi, but I don't want another fanboi to be jealous and find out that I am 'sorta' involved with the first fanboi? I have to make sure they both can't see the ressie and that type of deceit is something beyond me (likely why I never was employed by TWDC!)

But you are making an assumption (I certainly understand why, though!) that my friend is a 'he' ... shockingly, I know, but this friend is definitely all woman. And I like her that way too! (just gotta pry the the fanbois off me)

My point was only that even with the current system of DDP and ADRs bookable at 180 days you can still be spontaneous about your day at WDW. Yes, you might have to make some compromise with regard as to where, when and what you eat. But if you want to have no plans, you can still do that.

I absolutely agree. And, honestly, most of the places I want to dine aren't a problem. That said, my favorite location -- the California Grill -- has become a 5:30 or 9:50 place even when booking far out and that has pretty much meant it has has gone from an every trip location to a 'I haven't been there in over three years' one.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This does NOT sound good.
With the help of this site (and easywdw), I had our November trip planned to the most minute detail; however, the word of the trip was "fluid". I kept saying to my SIL and nieces, "Check your calendar, this is our itinerary for the day, but our plans are fluid. We are not married to the schedule".
When we were able to score dinner ressies at BOG, we snatched them up, and bailed on our DHS afternoon/evening and changed the whole day to an MK day. As a result, we later needed to change a flex Epcot day to a DHS day.
FP+ will take away that flexibility. Score a BOG ressie, kiss off a TSMM fastpass plus. Doesn't sound like a fair trade to me. I am starting to think that the die-hards on this site might be right. I need to check underneath all the sofa cushions and see if I can find the extra thousand or so required for the flights to California ... or share the wealth with Universal, for a change.
I know it's early days and things may yet change, but I think the pixie dust I have admittedly been sniffing, is beginning to wear off.

It seems to me that the system is designed to prevent people from doing just this. They want you to plan ahead and not change your plans. In this situation you would have to make a call. If you switch parks you would still get to switch FP+ to MK even on the day of from a smartphone or kiosks at the park, but you are likely to get shut out of the more popular attractions. In November when crowds are lower it may not matter as much. I'm not saying I necessarily like it either, but I just don't think it sounds as bad as some people make it out to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom