Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What I was trying to say is that it seems that many people think that booking ahead with FP+ will bring them that certainty that they lack today.

Agreed. It doesn't guarantee you anything, but you will know in advance whether you have FP for the ride or not. It's not much of an advantage to me, but it's not worse than the current model either.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Agreed. It doesn't guarantee you anything, but you will know in advance whether you have FP for the ride or not. It's not much of an advantage to me, but it's not worse than the current model either.
I disagree. I think it's going to cause a lot of frustration. People are going to have to spend more time with the minute details. Then the day they are in the park, if that FP+ attraction isn't available for whatever reason, it's going to hack people off.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I disagree. I think it's going to cause a lot of frustration. People are going to have to spend more time with the minute details. Then the day they are in the park, if that FP+ attraction isn't available for whatever reason, it's going to hack people off.

There are going to be busy times when top attractions get booked fast. What remains to be seen is how fast will things fill up the rest of the time. Parentsof4's post is stating that there will be more FP+ reservations available than current FP so in theory you should have a better shot at getting one.

I agree. Having to reserve FP in advance will make planning a trip harder in my opinion. What if you have booked dining at Epcot at Le Celliar and there are no FP available for Soarin or Test Track? Do you change that day to MK and rebook ressies, giving up that much coveted Le Celliar ressie?

The more you have to reserve, the less flex you have.
I do think they will probably synch up the ADR and FP+ windows so they are both 6 months with the theory being you book your rides and ADRs at the same time. Not saying I like it, but you point out a very real issue with the system.

lazyboy97o

I agree. Having to reserve FP in advance will make planning a trip harder in my opinion. What if you have booked dining at Epcot at Le Celliar and there are no FP available for Soarin or Test Track? Do you change that day to MK and rebook ressies, giving up that much coveted Le Celliar ressie?

The more you have to reserve, the less flex you have.
I am sure it will not take long before, for a small fee, Disney will offer preselected itineraries with FastPass+, Advanced Dining Reservations and recommended snack and shopping experiences all planned out in advance just for you're own Magical time at Walt Disney World.

Lee

Adventurer
Just to chime in...

FP+ is expected to make Standby lines longer.

That's why they are adding interactive elements to the queues...so that the poor folks stuck in them will have something to do to distract them from the fact they are waiting an hour for Pirates or Mansion.

Captain Chaos

Just to chime in...

FP+ is expected to make Standby lines longer.

That's why they are adding interactive elements to the queues...so that the poor folks stuck in them will have something to do to distract them from the fact they are waiting an hour for Pirates or Mansion.
So, in other words, let's not added new, state of the art attractions to keep people on property... Let's put them under house arrest by instituting RFID (which we can also then track where our inmates are) and artificially inflating stand by wait times so they have to do each park for 2 days therefore they can't leave our property and visit the theme parks that ARE building state pf the art attractions that people want to see...

lazyboy97o

So, in other words, let's not added new, state of the art attractions to keep people on property... Let's put them under house arrest by instituting RFID (which we can also then track where our inmates are) and artificially inflating stand by wait times so they have to do each park for 2 days therefore they can't leave our property and visit the theme parks that ARE building state pf the art attractions that people want to see...
I know some have mentioned Disney rewarding people with coupons and what not for spending well, etc. I wonder if there would be any attempt at punishing people who leave property in the middle of their vacations.

nytimez

I know some have mentioned Disney rewarding people with coupons and what not for spending well, etc. I wonder if there would be any attempt at punishing people who leave property in the middle of their vacations.

MickeyMousePoliceState.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's where I am having trouble understanding the standby line issues with FP+.
1) attendance at WDW is flat or down
2) FP+ is limited to at most 4 attractions per person per day
3) the standby lines are going to be a lot longer because of it

Are they just going to load rides slower now? If it's the same number of people (or less) in the parks and there will not be a way for individuals to load up on FP+ reservations how are the standby lines going to be that much longer. I'm still missing something.

lazyboy97o

Here's where I am having trouble understanding the standby line issues with FP+.
1) attendance at WDW is flat or down
2) FP+ is limited to at most 4 attractions per person per day
3) the standby lines are going to be a lot longer because of it

Are they just going to load rides slower now? If it's the same number of people (or less) in the parks and there will not be a way for individuals to load up on FP+ reservations how are the standby lines going to be that much longer. I'm still missing something.
There will be more attractions offering FastPass+ than there are which currently offer FastPass. So while each attraction may not increase its FastPass availability, the overall system will have more with these added attractions, including attractions such as The Haunted Mansion where FastPass was such a mess it was removed.

Disneyhead'71

When they add the FP+ line to THe Flying Carpets, the stand-by will have to get longer since some of the ride vehicles will be loaded wih FP+ people who walk right up and get on. Those are seats that the Stand-by line people would have otherwise have loaded into.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There will be more attractions offering FastPass+ than there are which currently offer FastPass. So while each attraction may not increase its FastPass availability, the overall system will have more with these added attractions, including attractions such as The Haunted Mansion where FastPass was such a mess it was removed.

I get the issues with HM, but that ride aside I'm still not sure how overall lines will be longer. Take a ride like POC or Small World which never have long waits and load fast. If you add FP+ to those rides either the FP riders will be absorbed in the normal flow and have no impact or the standby line gets longer. If the line gets longer than somewhere else a line is shorter. Again, the same number of people in the park and they can't be in 2 places at once so if they are in line at POC they can't be in line at BTMRR for example. It seems to me that while lines may be longer or shorter at different attractions it would all even out. Is that over simplifying things?

lazyboy97o

I get the issues with HM, but that ride aside I'm still not sure how overall lines will be longer. Take a ride like POC or Small World which never have long waits and load fast. If you add FP+ to those rides either the FP riders will be absorbed in the normal flow and have no impact or the standby line gets longer. If the line gets longer than somewhere else a line is shorter. Again, the same number of people in the park and they can't be in 2 places at once so if they are in line at POC they can't be in line at BTMRR for example. It seems to me that while lines may be longer or shorter at different attractions it would all even out. Is that over simplifying things?
The issue with FastPass, that Disney is trying to rectify, is that it enables people to be in two lines at once. That is where the issue has always been with increasing Stand-By lines. The wait time for a FastPass attraction is not all there standing in line, part of it is spread out across the park and physically in line at other attractions.

crispy

I don't like the idea of FP+ at all. I don't want to plan my vacation down to the last minute. I have always been a huge defender of all things Disney, but this is about to push me over the edge. I have a short girls-only trip planned for February for the Princess Half Marathon, but we are considering not doing a Fall trip this year like we usually do. I will make that decision after FP+ is completely rolled out.

I have never been to Universal and really don't plan to visit anytime soon because I am just not interested in Harry Potter, the Simpsons, or Marvel. I will say that we visited Busch Gardens Williamsburg this past June, and I was blown away with how clean and beautiful it was, how well-thought out each area of the park was, and how helpful their employees were. Since we were there before the major summer rush, we were able to walk-on most rides and really experience the park which is something that hasn't happened at Disney in years. Even better, we were able to get a pass that included 7 day tickets plus parking to Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, and Colonial Williamsburg for under $250 for our family of 4. My girls love Disney, but they loved that trip just as much and keep asking when we are going back. It makes me wonder why I am spending three times as much on a trip to WDW when they aren't doing anything to retain my business.

Another thing I wanted to note was that we stayed at Art of Animation in the Little Mermaid section a week after it opened. Every day, there was a group of cast members by the pool taking surveys of guests who were checking out to get their feedback about their stay. We had a great stay there and would highly recommend it, but there were a few things that I thought could be improved. When I took the survey, I noticed that it was designed so that you really couldn't leave honest feedback. I realized that they didn't want to hear about any problems or issues, they just wanted everyone to blow pixie dust at them. As I said, we LOVED the resort, but we had a few issues that would have made the stay better and we couldn't even mention them in a survey they initiated about the guest experience.

lazyboy97o

I have never been to Universal and really don't plan to visit anytime soon because I am just not interested in Harry Potter, the Simpsons, or Marvel.
Part of the reason Universal's work has been so acclaimed is because, despite the vast majority of their content being tied to intellectual property, it is able to entertain people with no prior connection or attachment to the intellectual property.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The issue with FastPass, that Disney is trying to rectify, is that it enables people to be in two lines at once. That is where the issue has always been with increasing Stand-By lines. The wait time for a FastPass attraction is not all there standing in line, part of it is spread out across the park and physically in line at other attractions.
Doesn't that apply to FP+ now too. If I am in line at POC at 12:30 with a 30 min wait but have a FP+ reservation for 1pm at BTMRR but the standby line is 60 minutes I am in line for both at the same time.

Understand that I am not trying to be argumentative with these questions it's just that the vast majority seem to really think FP+ is going to have a huge negative impact on their vacation. I understand the issue with people not wanting to book rides in advance. I get that, but I am still trying to understand how else it's going to impact me.

crispy

Part of the reason Universal's work has been so acclaimed is because, despite the vast majority of their content being tied to intellectual property, it is able to entertain people with no prior connection or attachment to the intellectual property.

I can appreciate what Universal has accomplished and my friends who have been recently are blown away by Harry Potter. I just really, really can't stand The Simpsons and most things Marvel (I know, I know!) so it is just not something I get excited about experiencing. I am mildly interested in seeing Harry Potter because I know it's so well done, but I have never really gotten into the books or the movies. The apathy I feel for it is about the same as I feel for the potential Avatar-land. It's mildly interesting, but not something I am very excited about.

lazyboy97o

I can appreciate what Universal has accomplished and my friends who have been recently are blown away by Harry Potter. I just really, really can't stand The Simpsons and most things Marvel (I know, I know!) so it is just not something I get excited about experiencing. I am mildly interested in seeing Harry Potter because I know it's so well done, but I have never really gotten into the books or the movies. The apathy I feel for it is about the same as I feel for the potential Avatar-land. It's mildly interesting, but not something I am very excited about.
You're not alone in your apathy towards the properties. That is my point. Even people in your position are being wowed by what Universal is doing. I had no desire to see a Harry Potter film until after experiencing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

crispy

Doesn't that apply to FP+ now too. If I am in line at POC at 12:30 with a 30 min wait but have a FP+ reservation for 1pm at BTMRR but the standby line is 60 minutes I am in line for both at the same time.

Understand that I am not trying to be argumentative with these questions it's just that the vast majority seem to really think FP+ is going to have a huge negative impact on their vacation. I understand the issue with people not wanting to book rides in advance. I get that, but I am still trying to understand how else it's going to impact me.

I am not sure how it will affect the day to day operations, but I hate the fact that it removes any spontenaity whatsoever from my vacation. What if I wake up and want to go to Epcot instead of the Magic Kingdom? Well, I can, but I may miss all the major attractions unless I am willing to stand in a two hour line. That's just not fun!

BryceM

Well that's okay, because Marvel Super Hero Island is one small section of Islands of Adventure and The Simpsons Ride is one ride and (soon to be land) in Universal Studios Florida. I understand where you're coming from about Harry Potter. But as an example, this past Monday I took my dad to Islands of Adventure for the first time and he said "do we have to see the Harry Potter stuff?" Then we go entered Hogsmeade and he was all about Harry Potter and loved every bit of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom